Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe Cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

In summary, assume everyone else is an idiot

(i.e. always be prepared for the worst possible maneuvers)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

mrcheez wrote: »
    In summary, assume everyone else is an idiot

(i.e. always be prepared for the worst possible maneuvers)

100%.. I wish I remembered that this morning when I got knocked off :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any damage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The only cycling video you'll need.......ever.......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Jawgap wrote: »
    The only cycling video you'll need.......ever.......

That gave me a good laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

any damage?

A bit alright, but am alive - got flipped by a car making last minute left turn. Thank fu(k I was already slowing down for the build up of traffic ahead.

Not a scratch on the bike, I promised to give it the good clean and service it deserves, but will need to wait until the injuries heal..

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

I've been commuting to work by bike for week now, and today I witnessed stupidity in it's natural form

This woman cycled Westland Row --> Lincoln Pl --> Merrion Street Lower --> Merrion Square N --> [her final destination]

In Westland Row as she was getting to the traffic lights in the corner of Lincoln Pl, there's a truck indicating left, and I thought she would understand that the truck is turning left, yet she goes inside the turn, and at this moment, I noticed she realised "i'm f**ked!" yet she kept going on the inside, and then turned right, as the truck was still turning left (the truck was heading to Fenian Street) crossing right in front of the truck (truck driver blind spot) and kept going.

But apparently she thought "i'm still alive, let's try again", and she really wanted to turn left to Merrion Square N, and there was a bit of traffic there as a bus was reversing because he wasn't able to turn left in the first attempt, so this woman, goes behind the bus (that is reversing), cycling on incoming traffic, and then back to the correct lane.

and I was thinking not only she near killed, she doesn't help the "good people cycling to work" cause :\

here's a little drawing of the scene: https://s9.postimg.org/lxovmbzjj/Capture.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

If I took one day as a sample and I had to do a diagram like above for all idiots, in all modes of transports that I saw do stupid things, I'd be drawing for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

How about we post tips that are helpful and not totally obvious.

1. One thing that I have learned from experience is that when you are cycling alongside stationary traffic be ready for pedestrians to walk out right in front of you. It's something that I didn't learn while driving and didn't think of while cycling. It's fine if you can see them over a car which is usually the case but if it's a bus/truck/jeep/van you cant see them and they sure as shït don't think about a cyclist potential still moving.

2. Don't cycle over wet manhole covers or drains. Again I learned this the hard way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I've been commuting to work by bike for week now, and today I witnessed stupidity in it's natural form

This woman cycled Westland Row --> Lincoln Pl --> Merrion Street Lower --> Merrion Square N --> [her final destination]

In Westland Row as she was getting to the traffic lights in the corner of Lincoln Pl, there's a truck indicating left, and I thought she would understand that the truck is turning left, yet she goes inside the turn, and at this moment, I noticed she realised "i'm f**ked!" yet she kept going on the inside, and then turned right, as the truck was still turning left (the truck was heading to Fenian Street) crossing right in front of the truck (truck driver blind spot) and kept going.

But apparently she thought "i'm still alive, let's try again", and she really wanted to turn left to Merrion Square N, and there was a bit of traffic there as a bus was reversing because he wasn't able to turn left in the first attempt, so this woman, goes behind the bus (that is reversing), cycling on incoming traffic, and then back to the correct lane.

and I was thinking not only she near killed, she doesn't help the "good people cycling to work" cause :\

here's a little drawing of the scene: https://s9.postimg.org/lxovmbzjj/Capture.png

I can't believe you did a diagram to illustrate your encounter!

I'm reminded of this by that:

https://youtu.be/JqZo07Ot-uA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

jive wrote: »
    How about we post tips that are helpful and not totally obvious.

On frosty or icy days, white-painted parts of the road remain slippery after the rest of the road is fine. Meaning you can slide and fall on zebra crossings, ghost-island markings, etc. when the road itself doesn't present any problem.

(Presume the effect is because because of the white absorbing much less heat than the dark-coloured road.)

Advertisement