Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best time to register for design rights?

Options
  • 05-08-2016 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have a product which I am going to register design rights for in the EU, Australia, Canada and most importantly the US.

My question is; when is the best time to register the product drawings?

At the moment we are in the final phases of prototype development. It will then take a further 5 - 6 months before we actually go and chase sales. We are currently finishing the packaging and branding and in about 3 months we will be creating a website and demo video.

I am wondering should I leave the registering of drawings till the month before we go after sales in order to reduce the amount of time which our competition will have to find out about our products or else should I just play it safe and register the drawings now just to ensure that we don't miss our opportunity.

Thanks in advance,
    Sean

P.s. I have talked to patent lawyers and they are saying to take the safe option by registering the drawings now. However I want the view of experienced business people as lawyers are often overly protective and don't think about how that gives our competition a potentially unnecessary headstart in finding out about our product line.

Advertisement