Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the point in thread titles?

Options
  • 05-08-2016 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Regardless of the thread title, threads don't have to be about the topic at hand. I've been informed this by a mod. What's the point in thread titles. Why not just one big mega thread, where we can all sit round talking about everything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Not site feedback. More of a query.
    Moved to Help Desk.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

As durdura assured me this thread is being addressed here, I will copy over the query I asked

If a thread is "how much did x cost you"

And the posters reply with,

A friend of a friend told me <something made up unrelated> cost me y. Thread gets dragged off about y.

Is asking for the thread, which as I explained to the moderator could be really helpful for people planning budgets, to be kept on topic, not appropiate?

There is a "new thread" button there and any posters are free to start a thread about y.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I believe that you've already gotten a response from Toots on this matter. But let me add my two cents.

Discussions can be fluid over the lifetime of a thread. How much 'off-topic' discussion there is can be a matter of opinion. If you feel that is thread is going severely off topic, you can report it and a moderator will look into it. The mods will make a call based on the forum and topic in question. If you attempt to intervene yourself, you run the risk of 'back-seat modding', so please leave it to the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Ok. So get a mod involved instead of saying anything myself. Yes i had discussed it with toots and the reply was that I was trying to dictate what could be said.

One final question for the moment. Is it allowed for a poster to brigade others to delete thier on topic posts and replace with off topic?

I'm guessing not, but there seems to be exceptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can you please provide an example? Otherwise, I'm not quite sure what you mean.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement