Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime wheels @ CRC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

That link doesn't work for me.
    And I can't find the wheels on CRC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I see a new suite of wheels on CRC. Assume own-brand. Not the cheapest but the spec/weights look quite good.

http://http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/nl/en/r-pl/primewheels?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=IRE_04_08_16_PRIMEWHEELSLAUNCH_%281%29&spMailingID=15116175&spUserID=MTg2NDQ0OTQ5OTES1&spJobID=840283959&spReportId=ODQwMjgzOTU5S0

Are these new or is anybody here rolling with them that can give a review?
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    That link doesn't work for me.
    And I can't find the wheels on CRC
    Fixed in my quote

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hopefully the link is now fixed - It's "Prime" not "Profile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Beasty wrote: »
    Hopefully the link is now fixed - It's "Prime" not "Profile"

Tks for fixing link. I put the full link in the Internet linky thing and thought it looked odd when I posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Was just about to start a thread on this. Can't find anything on a Google search, apart from CRC's own site. Anyone know anything about these wheels? S[ecs look very good, I particularly like the look of their RP 50mm disc brake wheel

• Advertisement

These are own brand wheels. The 10% off RRP is really just marketing. The 90% is probably the 'fair/actual price'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cromcruach

They look very good for the price, and tubeless ready out of the box is a nice touch. I do think a 19mm internal width would have been better on the disc sets than 17mm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's hard too see why they introduced their own brand wheels, there are enough other established brand wheels available at every price point. I couldn't see myself ever choosing them over established brands unless it was the cheapest of cheapest wheels just to get rolling.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's hard too see why they introduced their own brand wheels
    The same reason any retailer would do this. They cut out one of the middlemen and as a result their margins on this stuff are going to be significantly greater than on 3rd party brands. They than make them a little more attractive by passing some of that back to the customer while still making much more than they would on other similar items.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's hard too see why they introduced their own brand wheels, there are enough other established brand wheels available at every price point. I couldn't see myself ever choosing them over established brands unless it was the cheapest of cheapest wheels just to get rolling.

The same reason why ALDI and Lidl etc use their own brands. More mark up.

• Advertisement

CRC have just e-mailed this link

Hopefully a bit more background on this range

ted1 wrote: »
    The same reason why ALDI and Lidl etc use their own brands. More mark up.

Exactly (was going to post that very point) and Penneys, Zara, H&M - all very profitable.

Canyon and Rose are no different with their own brand bikes - they just added parts and clothing to be a 'full service' retailer and create /get more scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I suppose, the same reason that they have their own bike brands, Vitus and Nukeproof, and their own component parts, Brand X.
    All seem to be doing well for CRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Beasty wrote: »
    The same reason any retailer would do this. They cut out one of the middlemen and as a result their margins on this stuff are going to be significantly greater than on 3rd party brands. They than make them a little more attractive by passing some of that back to the customer while still making much more than they would on other similar items.

Yeah point taken, didn't actually look much at them and just did there now and they're very competitively priced and appear to be well spec'd so now we just have to see how they stack up in terms of quality and reliability.

Glad you are agreeing wheels don't have to 'main brand' to be good / value for money. In theory, there should be no difference between these and say Hunt or Swissside wheels but a few reviews will help.

Advertisement