Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplace issues

Options
  • 05-08-2016 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking for advise on how to annomonously complain the place I work for.
    9 hours shifts on my own
    no lunch breaks
    There nearly 2 years and no contract
    I get paid till 6. Shop closes at 6. But it could take 20 mins to half hour before all the cashing up tidying is done. If I get a customer in at 5:58 then I have to serve them no matter how long it takes
    I'm on minimum wage for 2 years.
    Please advise
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Contact the Work place relations commission

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ask them for a raise ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Have you spoke to management/owners? Is there other staff there, do they have the same issues/working conditions?

Try to resolve the issues with the manager first before taking drastic actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I may be mistaken but if I recall correctly you can be kept for upto 15 minutes grace each day, as i said though I could be wrong about it legally but it has been the case in every place I've worked while in retail.

The.lunch break is a non negotiable you habe to get one every shift, your also legally entitled to a 15 minute after every 4.5 hours worked, I know that's a fact for sure as we were trained in it recent enough, and HR are hounding management in order to ensure it happens.

Tldr
    Outside of lunch this all seems standard for the retail industry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

May be stating the obvious but time to look for another job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The working time act covers this

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/20/enacted/en/html
    12.—(1) An employer shall not require an employee to work for a period of more than 4 hours and 30 minutes without allowing him or her a break of at least 15 minutes.

(2) An employer shall not require an employee to work for a period of more than 6 hours without allowing him or her a break of at least 30 minutes; such a break may include the break referred to in subsection (1).

(3) The Minister may by regulations provide, as respects a specified class or classes of employee, that the minimum duration of the break to be allowed to such an employee under subsection (2) shall be more than 30 minutes (but not more than 1 hour).

(4) A break allowed to an employee at the end of the working day shall not be regarded as satisfying the requirement contained in subsection (1) or (2).

However if you are the only employee in the shop I'm not sure how your breaks can be arranged but maybe others can suggest something

As regards the time after the shop closes if it was just a few minutes I wouldn't be concerned, but it appears to amount to a couple of hours. As you are being paid the minimum wage for the other hours then effectively your hourly rate is below the minimum wage.

(I do think it's right to serve the customer who comes in at 5:58 however, the business is important as it pays for your wages)

There is an obligation for them to give you a contract too.

2 to 2 1/2 hours unpaid each week, by 46 weeks that's about 115 hours or nearly three weeks pay.

Maybe suggest to your employer that they increase your pay to reflect those unpaid hours.

The might agree to pay you more!

If not I suggest you start looking for another job.

(And when you get it report your former employer and perhaps ask a solicitor if it would be possible to sue for the under payments which in your case would be worth about six weeks wages?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

xxbrady wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for advise on how to annomonously complain the place I work for.
    9 hours shifts on my own
    There is no law saying you should have company. This is only relevent is the workload is too much to do by yourself.
    no lunch breaks
    This is wrong, you should be getting breaks
    There nearly 2 years and no contract
    Wrong also. You should have received one in your first 30 days (?)
    I get paid till 6. Shop closes at 6. But it could take 20 mins to half hour before all the cashing up tidying is done. If I get a customer in at 5:58 then I have to serve them no matter how long it takes
    Any work done should be paid for...
    I'm on minimum wage for 2 years.
    Not relevent. No law says you are entitled to pay rises after time.
    Please advise
    Thanks

Sounds like a dodgy employer, but sorry, you're not entitled to company or extra money.

Advertisement