Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name of the indie busker band?

Options
  • 06-08-2016 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

[font=Arial, Tahoma, "Bitstream Vera Sans", sans-serif]So a week and a half ago I was in Galway which I absolutely loved, and one of the things that I liked the most were city buskers. They were all amazing, but one caught my eye the most. Does anyone know the name (if they have one) of a busker band that is usually playing on a High st., there are four of them - two on guitars, one on drums, one on cello and they wear winter hats (or they did at that time)?[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Would it be Mikey and the Scallywags? I haven't seen them lately (haven't been up town much) but perhaps it's them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Eeden wrote: »
    Would it be Mikey and the Scallywags? I haven't seen them lately (haven't been up town much) but perhaps it's them?

Don't think so. No cello in Scallywags, and not sure if they're still together.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

The Rye?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 glorifindellis

No, it wasn't [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mikey and the Scallywags nor The Rye. Appreciate the help tho. They were all young fellas, the singer was blond if that's of any help and they were doing covers of popular songs. [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

No, it wasn't [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mikey and the Scallywags nor The Rye. Appreciate the help tho. They were all young fellas, the singer was blond if that's of any help and they were doing covers of popular songs. [/font]

Is it the galway street club?

• Advertisement

There's a gang of lads who are excellent musicians, with a few Spanish musicians, but think the singer is Irish. Is it a double bass you mean and not a cello?

Is it the galway street club?

Heard they were no more (or had split into a few bands) recently? Saw some of the lads who were in it them playing up in Mc Swiggans about a week ago (great gig) but apparently 'Street Club' were in Róisín's t the same night so there might be a different versions of them.

inisboffin wrote: »
    There's a gang of lads who are excellent musicians, with a few Spanish musicians, but think the singer is Irish. Is it a double bass you mean and not a cello?
    Maybe it was double bass, yes! Couldn't really tell the difference. Do you maybe know their name?

Maybe it was double bass, yes! Couldn't really tell the difference. Do you maybe know their name?

Sorry, don't know if they are a band or just busk together. But they are out a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Wasn't the Street Club, I know the crowd you're on about but can't think of the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

You didn't happen to take a photo by any chance?
    If you did, stick it up and I think everybody who has posted here will know who you are talking about.
    We all kinda look the same down here ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

inisboffin wrote: »
    Heard they were no more (or had split into a few bands) recently? Saw some of the lads who were in it them playing up in Mc Swiggans about a week ago (great gig) but apparently 'Street Club' were in Róisín's t the same night so there might be a different versions of them.

they were playing 2 gigs in cork the other night and rocking it out to the crowds again in shop st yesterday eve

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Just asked them - Cozy Cartel

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you see them out busking today?

pure.conya wrote: »
    they were playing 2 gigs in cork the other night and rocking it out to the crowds again in shop st yesterday eve

Praise the lord! bi-location! :D

Nah joking! a friend just mentioned this earlier today too. It seems some of the original members formed a a band called Off The Cuff. SC are continuing to play but different line up apparently. Galway's answer to The Drifters! :)

I do actually have a picture of them but can't post it here cause I'm a new user. Was so happy for a sec that you might have found what I was thinking of, but I searched and it's not Cozy Cartel nor Off The Cuff. These guys were actually pretty hipster looking lads, playing mostly popular music, two on guitars, one on drums and one on cello (or double bass?). Honestly don't know if they're still playing, maybe they moved, but they were in Galway at the end of July.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Sorry, was sure it was them, same line up and all. Will keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 suzybr

There was a band played in the Clonmel busking festival 2 weeks ago and I believe they played in Galway recently too called The Band Anna. They have a Facebook page if you want to check them out. They were excellent:)

Oh the Cozy Cartel are good.

Advertisement