Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N11 - M50 (J4) to Coyne's Cross (J14) [options published]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

schmittel wrote: »
    I agree the cyan route looks brilliant.

Other than taking more trees out of the Glen of the Downs were there other considerations that make existing red route unsuitable? i.e why have they gone to all the trouble of research and producing the potential options, all of which will ruffle a hell of a lot of feathers?

From a land - cost perspective and how close if not over actual dwellings the route comes perspective of the offline options, the blue/Cyan is probably the best, and will make it a proper standard motorway. The land to the east of the glen is surely a lot more expensive than the mostly unzoned farmland blue/Cyan would run through, as well as reconnecting the Kilmac settlement as it points out in the presentation!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

I don't think the gradient on the Cyan route is achievable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭prunudo

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »

I'm sure they wouldn't have suggested it if they didn't think it was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Thud

it looks like they plan to blast a big channel into the hill for the cyan route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Indeed. There is a very step drop from the Sugar Loaf down to the back of the Glenview Hotel. Unless they tunnel (!) I cant see how it would work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

In around Old Connaught (between Shankill and Bray) it looks like they have closed off northbound exit. Is this true? This would force all Shankill bound traffic either through northern Bray or onto the Loughlinstown roundabout .

nordydan wrote: »
    In around Old Connaught (between Shankill and Bray) it looks like they have closed off northbound exit. Is this true? This would force all Shankill bound traffic either through northern Bray or onto the Loughlinstown roundabout .

From talking to them yesterday the individual route designs aren't nailed down, its only a provisional alignment with suggested layouts of junctions within the choosen route corridor. Once the preferred route is chosen they will then start in depth drawings and plans. So if there is something that you aren't happy with bring it to their attention before 13th December.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭hometruths

prunudo wrote: »
    From talking to them yesterday the individual route designs aren't nailed down, its only a provisional alignment with suggested layouts of junctions within the choosen route corridor. Once the preferred route is chosen they will then start in depth drawings and plans. So if there is something that you aren't happy with bring it to their attention before 13th December.

I doubt it will be long before the good members of the golf club become very vocal about the proposed options!

schmittel wrote: »
    I doubt it will be long before the good members of the golf club become very vocal about the proposed options!

Exactly, I can't see pink or orange being a runner. Cyan has a remote possibility but I think they'll end up going with red and doing an online fudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Are there any details on the shorter term plans to push exiting traffic into the hard shoulder southbound before Kilmac and force the traffic exiting the garage up to the bridge and have it merge from the slip road. I thought I saw something about that work potentially starting before Christmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

I'm sure they wouldn't have suggested it if they didn't think it was possible.

I'm just eyeballing it on google maps here but it doesn't look that feasible North of Glen of the Downs without major cutting (and considering the geology of the area, that will be blasting). While it might be possible, is it really an economically feasible way to go? The terrain looks a good bit more favourable on the far side of the Sugarloaf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭josip

BraveDonut wrote: »
    ... and force the traffic exiting the garage up to the bridge and have it merge from the slip road...

I could never understand why this wasn't put in place years ago.

Even without the traffic jam issue, it seemed much safer for garage traffic to merge further on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Thud

josip wrote: »
    I could never understand why this wasn't put in place years ago.

Even without the traffic jam issue, it seemed much safer for garage traffic to merge further on.

it could be done overnight by screwing in a row of plastic poles. They added them to the M50/N11 merge a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,384 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They should've cpo'd both garages when it was turned into a dual carriageway. There's regular issues getting from the R755 to the N11 northbound, due to Irish drivers inability to observe double yellow lines and blocking up the road between the roundabout and the bus stop if there's anyone queing to get in for fuel.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They should've cpo'd both garages when it was turned into a dual carriageway. There's regular issues getting from the R755 to the N11 northbound, due to Irish drivers inability to observe double yellow lines and blocking up the road between the roundabout and the bus stop if there's anyone queing to get in for fuel.

Or the other frequent one is people nearly coming to a stop in the driving lane before they turn into the southbound garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Or the other frequent one is people nearly coming to a stop in the driving lane before they turn into the southbound garage.

How will the new road at the garage work? Is it to be segregated from the main N11 at Bray South exit and go all the way to the Kimac flyover?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

Roadstone are only laughing. Calgary quarry is empty and has planning to be backfilled with 3million tonnes of inert material.

Roadstone are only laughing. Calgary quarry is empty and has planning to be backfilled with 3million tonnes of inert material.

Long way to ship the fill over to Canada! Wasn't there talk of the quarry being used for water sport and diving. Must be more money in dumping than providing recreational/nature amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Many of the proposals indicate significant bypassing of the current M11/N11.
    Does this mean that the bypassed sections will be have lane reductions or will they be closed outright?

• Advertisement

Many of the proposals indicate significant bypassing of the current M11/N11.
    Does this mean that the bypassed sections will be have lane reductions or will they be closed outright?

I don't think anything is set in stone, one possibility was that it would be reduced to a 2 lane regional road for local access and public transport. But I will be surprised if they actually go for any of the ambitious offline options. Would prefer if they did and will be pleasantly surprised if they do but I can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Well they ignored my idea!

I thought they should built a flyover through GOTD’s! I know, I know sounds crazy but if you were to basically bridge over/through it you could eventually get rid on the old road and have both sides of the glen reconnected for the first time in centuries!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Does anybody know if the intention is to make this a 3 lane motorway along the entire upgraded route?

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the intention is to make this a 3 lane motorway along the entire upgraded route?

While the various route corridors were ambitious the actual detail of each one or how it would pan out was quite vague. On one hand you can't blame Arup as they're following a process but even the time frame was very much up in the air and no real indication of how public transport and park & rides would or could feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

The best outcome to my mind would be a two-lane-each-way motorway with a route that is public transport priority as the alternative. If the totally offline version is taken, I think blue+cyan, could that be built as a 2 lane motorway and then the old road massively redirected to serving buses, cyclists etc?

SeanW wrote: »
    The best outcome to my mind would be a two-lane-each-way motorway with a route that is public transport priority as the alternative. If the totally offline version is taken, I think blue+cyan, could that be built as a 2 lane motorway and then the old road massively redirected to serving buses, cyclists etc?

And true to form in Ireland this should have been done right from the start back when the original work was carried out, but no we've been building half measures and fudges on every infrastructure project since the Victorian age. Villages, nature reserves and private entrances have no place on mainline routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Actually now this could be interesting.

If any of the offline routes are chosen (and I don't think they will be) could we see the first bit of NEW BUILD three lane motorway built here?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

And true to form in Ireland this should have been done right from the start back when the original work was carried out, but no we've been building half measures and fudges on every infrastructure project since the Victorian age. Villages, nature reserves and private entrances have no place on mainline routes.

Nah, no way.
    You'll remember it was hard enough to dual the existing route, there's no way you could say they should have built it bigger at the time as they were building as much as they could get away with.

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Dunmhkl

As part of this the section of the M50 from Junction 14 to 17 should be redesignated as the M11 as it was built to be.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Nah, no way.
    You'll remember it was hard enough to dual the existing route, there's no way you could say they should have built it bigger at the time as they were building as much as they could get away with.

No I was referring to the blue/cyan and that should have been the route they choose rather than widening the glen and dividing the villages of Kilmacanogue and Kilpedder in 2.
    But we are where we are.

Advertisement