Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N11 - M50 (J4) to Coyne's Cross (J14) [options published]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

I would in the past have been against closing J10 but the experience over the summer when the glenroad was closed due to water pipe replacement changed mind completely. .

The difference in the village was huge, felt like there was more cycling / walking. Place seemed a lot more liveable & safer for people without the through traffic. However, it was constant gridlock at killincarrig. Once the road reopened the rat run began again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭prunudo

I think this point is missed by many objecting and jumping on social media campaigns. The same could be said for those against the link roads, surely its better to seperate local traffic, by doing so it will also have the benefit of creating new and safer pedestrian and cycling routes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Hadn't seen it shared but I noticed a couple weeks back that they've closed the minor road access to the kilmurry cottages between jn8 and 9 southbound. Not sure if this was always planned with the Kilmac works but it had been mentioned in the Arup information that it was on the cards with main improvements project.

Which got me thinking, wonder will they contuine to close these smaller acces points where possible even before the main project goes ahead.

Also Tii in their wisdom have installed bollards along the road beside the bus stop off jn9 northbound, behind the Glen Garage. It had developed into a bit of an unoffical park n ride but obviously Tii were having none of it, so much for trying to encourage public transport use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The Kilmurry cottage access was closed because of resident demand, and well before completion of the access road - people were missing the junction and using that to get back to the Johnny Fox roundabout. Pedestrian/ Cyclist access being maintained, even if they made a mess of the temp cones in that regard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I could never understand why they left mainline access to the cottages in place when they widened the road, when they're connected to J7. Same goes for Quill Road on the other side.

Probably the residents? A bit like with the current closure proposals, the short term view is on the negative. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kilmurray experience leads to Quill Road residents also requesting the same (although more local traffic on the quill road anyway). I'm sure they didn't envisage the junction hopping that goes on.

I had seen the temporary barriers alright for a few months but had presumed it was to do with traffic management for the kilmac scheme.

Regarding Quill road, there's a few more commercial premises on that road compared to Kilmurry Cottages so not sure the residents on the northern end would appreciate more traffic and trucks on the narrowest section of that road.

true, but it's going to be closed anyway. There is the possibility they could widen the road back to J8 but it's little more than a boreen.

• Advertisement

Extended back to junction jn9 if memory serves me right, through the old ascon compound.

And also a link road from the Kilmurry cottages on the northbound side back to middle of Quill road somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Plastik

Lot of material published today - Option Selection Report

And an interim bus priority scheme

nothing much new there, all information we already knew.

Sort of related but unrelated. Any idea why the speed limit southbound through Kilmac is still 60kph even after the works associated with the auxiliary lane have been completed.

It was 60 even before the works, did they say it would be increased up to 80 afterwards?

• Administrators Posts: 53,730 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Late to the conversation here, but I'm curious about the J10 changes. I drive from Greystones to Kilpedder every morning so curious how my route will be affected.

Is the problem with the hairpin turn on J10 northbound, and the lack of a slip on J10 southbound meaning slow moving traffic is entering the carriageway?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭hometruths

Do you currently use the hairpin at j10 to access Kilpedder? That will be gone.

Greystones to kilpedder will be predominantly via Charlesland road and underpass at J11.

Though you could also go via Delgany and flyover proposed for willow Grove and Drummin East

Yea I use the hairpin. Is the J10 southbound on-ramp going too?

That'll mean either going down Priory Road or going the whole way to Killincarrig roundabout.

Silly question, where exactly is this proposed flyover going? Willow Grove is at the top of the hairpin, right? Where is Drummin East?

I believe they did, they always blamed the 60kph limit (vs 80 northbound) was due to saftey issues with private access and the garage and once the improvements were made the limit could increase.

It is proposed to cross close where the existing Drummin junction is. Essentially fixing the link that was removed when they closed the median in the early 2000s.

• Advertisement

Here?

That wouldn't be too bad but the R762 is not the widest road. Still definitely better than having to go to Farrankelly road.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭hometruths

Exactly. Yes J10 southbound is being shut permanently, this flyover replaces that access to Delgany

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

According to TII, this project has been shelved

I wonder why.

money prioritised for public transport and walking/cycling I guess; quid pro quo for greenlighting some less environmentally sustainable projects elsewhere (the Galway bypass for one).

the bus-lane project has funding but I've heard the scope has been reduced to just extending them as far as J6 rather than J9 as had been the plan.

Wow, I'm shocked. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. The road needs addressing now and is not fit for purpose. I've said it before, but we're a talking shop in this country, consultants and reports, rinse and repeat.

TBH my reaction is "meh" - the changes wouldn't have added a huge amount of capacity and I'm not aware that's it a particularly dangerous stretch of road; they may have decided that it just doesn't represent value for money. I'm disappointed to hear the bus-lane element is being curtailed though. Some of the offline elements might be advanced as local projects.

Given the volume of new houses in the area, I think the most plans represented a good updating and usability of junctions. Taking out conflicting road use and generally making it safer.

Its going to be a nightmare in a few years time without any improvements. It smacks of a serious case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The focus always should've been on the bus lane/ PT/ active travel element. We know that building new roads ultimately leads to the filling up with more traffic. That really needs to be prioritised with the amount of building along the corridor.

I'd have to look at the preferred plan again, but I didn't think it would add much capacity to the road itself, just make life easier for local journeys by taking them off the mainline. Considering how much money and disruption would be involved I would question the worth of the project as a whole, when there are other things the money could be spent on. Hopefully Dart+ and better train services to Wicklow town can be fast-tracked (though is anything in Ireland ever fast-tracked?).

WRT the bus lanes, possibly they decided they can't plan for J6-9 until they know for certain whether the junction upgrades are happening or not so they're splitting the plan in 2 and proceeding with the northern bit in the meantime (that's speculation on my part). As things stand the project hasn't been cancelled, it just doesn't have any funding for 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

This was always going to be contentious. I had favoured the tunnel option and conversion of the old alignment to a regional distributor (including bus corridor), but that’s not what was chosen. I feel that there’s so much population growth here now (and in future) that the only viable way of dealing with it is to encourage a modal shift: bring Dublin’s rail transport out to the towns that feed the N11’s traffic problems, and allow people to get in or out of the city via mass transport. If you reduce the morning/evening commuting peaks, the existing road will be well able to deal with the traffic on it.

That’s way more expensive than widening a road (even this one), but long term, it’s the only thing that will actually help.

Advertisement