Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympics daily thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

oh here she is!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

not long enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Soon, as in the next few minutes, or the next few days??

And what about the other part of it???

Full interview on Newstalk's 'Off The Ball' this evening - programme starts at 7.00pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Full interview on Newstalk's 'Off The Ball' this evening - programme starts at 7.00pm

Feck, only just remembered this!

Anyone know if it's been on yet???

Feck, only just remembered this!

Anyone know if it's been on yet???

I'll answer my own question.... starting now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

she's got a quintessential D4 accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fryup wrote: »

Eamonn Sweeney touched on this in the Sunday Indo and said she's living proof you don't have to be working class to be tough and battle hardened, adding she's as strong as any boxer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,889 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

fryup wrote:
    Strazdas wrote:
    Eamonn Sweeney touched on this in the Sunday Indo and said she's living proof you don't have to be working class to be tough and battle hardened, adding she's as strong as any boxer.

I was laughing at that imagining a "working class" athlete telling their family they all had to adopt the same diet as them. "Here pal, you mightn't be a cyclist but you can get on your effin bike if you think I'm goin eaten tha quinoa"

fryup wrote: »

Even though she's from D.14???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Even though she's from D.14???

She's trying to drop the wan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, singe best Olympic performance?

Mine is Wayde Van NieKerk's 400 m WR!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thiago Braz de Silva winning Pole Vault, but was tarnished by crowd treatment of French Athelete.

The Brownlee Brothers for me then for that. I know they were expected to win Gold and Silver, but they are just terrific to watch and seem like great guys off it.

walshb wrote: »

Nick Skelton winning individual gold at 58 would be right up there.....that's a phenomenal achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

walshb wrote:

Fabian Cancellara winning the men's individual time trial (cycling)

He's retiring at the end of the year and this was his last big race but very few people gave him a chance of winning a medal at his age, let alone win gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Strazdas wrote: »
    Nick Skelton winning individual gold at 58 would be right up there.....that's a phenomenal achievement.

I'd make it a joint award between Skelton and the Argentinian guy who won the gold medal in sailing who is in his mid-50s and lost a lung through cancer last year. Incredible story.

Has to be Anthony Ervin for me winning gold at 35 in the 50m freestyle 16 years after winning gold in sydney.

He sold that medal and gave the money to charity rertired at 22 from swimming and dropped out of college and got hooked on drugs attempted suicide and then turned his life around to come back.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/american-swimmer-anthony-ervin-wins-gold-medal-rio-he-is-old-2016-8?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

I enjoyed Fiji winning the rugby 7's.
    Obviously from an Irish perspective the two silvers were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Yohan Diniz in the 50km walk. I'm still not sure if it was the bravest or most foolish sporting performance I've ever seen. Possibly both.

His determination to complete the 50km was incredible

http://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/yohann-diniz-questions-logic-behind-decisions-at-rio-olympics/news-story/3de5dd18c77341f8770833aee383d2b5

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

walshb wrote: »
    Well, single best Olympic performance?

For me it has to be Team GB gymnast Max Whitlock. Snatching bronze in the all round (Britain's first medal in 106 years I think).

He came back a few days later to win gold on the floor exercise, and then had the composure to go through the medal ceremony for that and then win another gold on the pommel horse which was immediately after.

Superb stuff from a British athlete in a sport that's normally not the strongest for them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Also, Laura Trott's dismantling of the rest of the field in the women's omnium definitely deserves a mention as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

That would be way up there for me, as well as Annalise's silver medal win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wilberto wrote: »
    For me it has to be Team GB gymnast Max Whitlock. Snatching bronze in the all round (Britain's first medal in 106 years I think).

He came back a few days later to win gold on the floor exercise, and then had the composure to go through the medal ceremony for that and then win another gold on the pommel horse which was immediately after.

Superb stuff from a British athlete in a sport that's normally not the strongest for them.

Whitlock is a brilliant choice. Michael Phelps is also right up there for character and desire and hunger, and of course, winning two more individual golds.

Bolt and Mo as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Hasanboy Dusmatov He left all comers in his wake at light flyweight, never lost a round, the classiest and most gifted boxer at these Olympics

Great to see the reception Annalise Murphy got in Dun Laoghaire this evening, thousands turned out in the People's Park to see her. It must be dawning on her at last just what she achieved with her silver medal was and how popular she is :

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/annalise-murphy-an-olympic-welcome-in-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-1.2768680

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Great to see the reception Annalise Murphy got in Dun Laoghaire this evening, thousands turned out in the People's Park to see her. It must be dawning on her at last just what she achieved with her silver medal was and how popular she is :

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/annalise-murphy-an-olympic-welcome-in-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-1.2768680

Was fab to see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Paul O'Donavan wins the World Championships Lightweight Singles in Rotterdam .

Our third winner at this event following on from Niall O'Toole and Sam Lynch (twice) , another great day for rowing in this country !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

marienbad wrote: »
    Paul O'Donavan wins the World Championships Lightweight Singles in Rotterdam .

Our third winner at this event following on from Niall O'Toole and Sam Lynch (twice) , another great day for rowing in this country !

Amazing achievement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

wow! Just WOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Some man for one man!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭onekeano

Heard the solicitor for the Hickey family on the Finucane show this morning....talk about drivel and I quote:

- He's a father and grandfather
    - One of the grandkids is a "miracle baby"
    - Another grandkid is due to start school this week and it was a big thing that Pat was gonna take him to school
    - He has a heart condition - he'd been getting electro cardio something or other.
    - He insisted his Mrs came back to Ireland and leave him there
    - He's asked for some mosquito repellant which implies that he's in danger of getting malaria and zyka
    - He didnt want the Mrs staying there in case she got arrested too

It's unbelievable what a free run Finucane gave her without asking about the emails, THG relationship, Hickey son working for THG in London 2012, putting Shane Ross "back in his box" and so on.......

Finucane is well past her sell by date at this stage...

Roy

Advertisement