Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Spot On

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I will only buy flea, tick and worm treatments from the vet, although some pet shops also sell the named brands. I don't buy anything Bob Martin anymore, it used to be about all you could get, when I was young - so a long, long, long time ago, but I don't rate their products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Don't waste your money, stuff like these cheap brands are flea and tick repellents nothing more, they do not kill the parasites, you'd be more likely to get rid of more fleas with just a bath! You can buy the stuff you get at the vets like frontline online and get a pretty good discount, or if you do what we do we find the cheapest online and our vet will match the price, although we do buy a good bit as have a lot of small furries!, but saves the postage costs! - worth a try anyway!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP does your dog have fleas? If not save your money and treat if/when they ever get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I have a cat. And prevention is better than cute IMO.
    I'll stick with the vets stuff so.
    Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

tk123 wrote: »
    OP does your dog have fleas? If not save your money and treat if/when they ever get them.

IKR?
    Shadow lived to the ripe old age of 11 and had fleas once. Opie is just gone two and has still never had them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    IKR?
    Shadow lived to the ripe old age of 11 and had fleas once. Opie is just gone two and has still never had them!

Same here. They're not a preventative against fleas either and are harmful to aquatic life so I'm happy not to use them. The same way I don't wash my own hair with nit shampoo just in case lol!! :p. €320 a year saved in this house too = the two of them fed for 6 or 7 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

My cat got a tick the one time I hadn't used a preventative on him.
    Hex outdoors a lot and we're in rural area so he walks through long grass a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Addle wrote: »
    My cat got a tick the one time I hadn't used a preventative on him.
    Hex outdoors a lot and we're in rural area so he walks through long grass a lot.

I walk in all sorts of areas. I just remove any ticks. I would not put that stuff on a dog that does not have fleas, especially if kids are handling the dog.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Spot-ons are not tick preventatives, they do not stop ticks from latching on and feeding. It's only when they start feeding that they get hit with the (systemic) anti-tick product and die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I only use preventatives from April to August to try and prevent the ticks but they still get them. Every evening or second evening I give them a full once over, concentrating on the usual spots around the head and neck and take any off if they're there. Wormer is got in the vets alright but that's because I think the tablet is a more efficient way of doing it, plus it covers tapeworm for all the crunchy things the cats eat :(.
    Have never had fleas here so never had to wash them tg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

This particular Bob Martin product contains fipronil. The same is used in the veterinary flea and tick brands such as Frontline, Eliminall, Effipro. So it's fine. It's permethrin flea and tick products you need to avoid.

Advertisement