Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic Tank Issues + Offer Guide Advice Please!

Options
  • 06-08-2016 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hello,

Just looking for a quick opinion on a potential buy but the catch is that the site is apparently not big enough for a septic tank to be added. The current setup is that the house is connected to a neighbours septic tank.
    Bank wouldn't lend money previously because of this as there are legal issues I won't go in to. A previous sale fell through over it and it's currently off the market.

However, my family has a property on the other side of this house so in theory I have the option to acquire a small piece of land to extend the site and add a septic tank (at the end of my family's garden) which would then be far enough away from my 'new' home.

The first potential problem is that this is uphill from it. I'm sure modern septic tank installers can get around this but the other main problem is that there is an existing septic tank near to the area where the two boundaries meet so my concern is that there may be a rule stating two septic tanks can't be anywhere near each other?

Does anyone know if that's an issue or else, is there a way to just connect to the existing septic tank and make it a shared tank without jeopardising the future sale of both properties? Maybe somehow modify the existing septic tank to make it a dual access one from either side with a dividing property line or something like that?

Thanks! Just trying to get some of this clear in my mind before making an offer.

The house is technically no longer on the market because of the previous issues so I've approached the estate agent previously selling it and have a chance to make an offer on the basis that I have an opportunity to get around the previous problems. It's a house repossessed and the previous offers were well above their asking price. So now that I'm the only one currently with an option to buy, how much do you think I could get this for? Will the bank release it for a lot less than the previous asking price or would they likely hold tough knowing that they got almost 1.5 times the asking price previously?

To me, it's a bad debt and they should be delighted to get anything for it but the estate agent says they'll still want good money for it. Any advice on how to play that?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭LostTazMan

I would suggest you talk to an Engineer. They should be able to advise on the technical issues and possible solutions. With regard to how much to bid, I think there's too many unknowns for anyone to realistically advise you unfortunately!

Best of luck with it!

Advertisement