Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hailo driver looking for money for my phone

Options
  • 06-08-2016 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Last night a group of friends and I got a taxi home and the driver wasn't very nice, he refused to process the card payment until we left the car. We insisted that we saw him enter the fare amount before we left and after a few minutes, he did so but with reluctance.

Once I got into the house I realised I left my phone in the car. We called the driver and the phone but no answer. We left voicemails of a contact number and he contacted me this morning.

He said I had two options
    1. I can text my address and he can drop it off between a certain time and tell him how much I'm willing to pay him to cover his expense

2. He'll drop it to lost and found Garda station some time next week so I can collect.

He then text saying my phone was out of battery and based on hard talk, move to option 2.

I am raging but really want my phone back. I've contacted Hailo through every platform to no avail

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

In fairness, if you expect him to drop it to your house, it is not unreasonable that you pay for this delivery service. Why don't you offer to go meet him and pick it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Once I got into the house I realised I left my phone in the car.

1. I can text my address and he can drop it off between a certain time and tell him how much I'm willing to pay him to cover his expense

2. He'll drop it to lost and found Garda station some time next week so I can collect.

He then text saying my phone was out of battery and based on hard talk, move to option 2.

I am raging but really want my phone back. I've contacted Hailo through every platform to no avail

You left your phone in his car...your fault not his.

1...He offered to drive to your house at a time that suited you...and you want him to do it for free! OK some people would, but I'm guessing phones are frequently left in taxis etc., it's hardly fair to expect someone to spend their time and money (diesel etc) to return something you carelessly left behind.

2... He will drop it into a Garda station, when it suits him.

He obviously decided that you wouldn't compensate him for his time and fuel so he is going to pick the easier option for himself.

Life lesson, don't expect others to help you when you make a mistake, some will but at the end of the day you made the mistake, it's your fault, deal with the consequences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Willing to pay sounds like a scumbag thing to say in fairness paying the fare no prob

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

The taxi driver is in the right here. Delivery charge for an item left behind or leaving it in a lost & found is standard practice.

If he's dropping the phone to your house, he could be missing out on fares and burning fuel. Paying the driver €10-€20 for delivering something you lost is more than reasonable and much cheaper than buying a new phone.

Don't want to pay him? Then collect it from the Garda station at no cost.

Sounds like you're being a bit ungrateful, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

He said I had two options 1. I can text my address and he can drop it off between a certain time and tell him how much I'm willing to pay him to cover his expense

Both options are very fair IMO. All he is obliged to do is hand it in to a Garda station within a reasonable period. I think it fair if you want it delivered to you that you pay the guy for his time. It's your mistake, not his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Last night a group of friends and I got a taxi home and the driver wasn't very nice, he refused to process the card payment until we left the car. We insisted that we saw him enter the fare amount before we left and after a few minutes, he did so but with reluctance.

Once I got into the house I realised I left my phone in the car. We called the driver and the phone but no answer. We left voicemails of a contact number and he contacted me this morning.

Some Simple solution, arrange a courier (or even a different Hailo driver) to collect it from him, so he does not get any payment for this, ok it will cost you at least twice what he was going to charge, but at least your driver does not get anything from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Some Simple solution, arrange a courier (or even a different Hailo driver) to collect it from him, so he does not get any payment for this, ok it will cost you at least twice what he was going to charge, but at least your driver does not get anything from it.

This would require the driver to be at a certain place at a certain time. He does not have to agree to this and even if he does he may not be there when the person arrives to collect it. That could start to get expensive quickly!

Easier just to pay the man for his time to deliver it. It is not an unreasonable request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I rarely use taxis, but would like to apologise to you for all the Muppets ye have to put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

posters - please stick to the topic at hand. No general comments bashing taxi drivers or taxi passengers please.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Garda station, but not 'some day next week'. Immediately, the garda station of his choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Here is the process for lost property in taxis. There is no mention of how long a taxi driver should take to hand in lost property, but IMO it should be as soon as is feasible. Note that does not mean it should be immediate.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-lost-property/

Mmm. If you hold on to it too long, though, couldn't you be charged with stealing by finding? I'd personally want it off my hands and into the Gardaí's as fast as possible.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Mmm. If you hold on to it too long, though, couldn't you be charged with stealing by finding? I'd personally want it off my hands and into the Gardaí's as fast as possible.

What is the legal definition of too long?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 The Codemaster

You expect him to deliver your phone to you for free, OP? Why should he do this? It was your fault. Pay the man or collect it yourself - he's not your lackey. He's being completely fair here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I think people are overlooking the fact that the driver asked the OP what he/she was willing to pay to get the phone back.

You can easily calculate a taxi fare in advance. Would be very easy for him to say "the fare would be 20 quid, is that okay?"

Asking the OP what it's worth to him is a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think people are overlooking the fact that the driver asked the OP what he/she was willing to pay to get the phone back.

You must have missed it when op says taxi driver offers to hand it in to Garda station for free. This is all the driver is required to do.
    If driver was dishonest he could have turned the phone off & claimed to have never seen it. His next fair could have taken it. Driver seems honest and willing to hand phone to Garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭killyourtv_

Thanks for all your opinions!

I was more than willing to cover his expenses to drop it off or even meet him somewhere straight away but he refused to let me and said the Garda station was better for all of us. I persisted and even asked a few times about whatever location was easiest for him but he decided himself that his "option 1" was ruled out.

I now have to take his word for it that'll he'll drop it in to a station. Considering the problem with his refusal to entering the fare for card payment until we left the car, I don't have a lot of faith in him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Ask the Guards to make a call him to remind him to drop it in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The reluctance to finish the payment process in view of the cardholder is what is worrying about this driver and I would be reporting that to Hailo as a security concern. It would be very easy for a dodgy driver to increase the amount or add a soiling charge or clean out the card if they were one of the many illegal unlicensed taxis on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

foggy_lad wrote: »
    or clean out the card if they were one of the many illegal unlicensed taxis on the roads.

Hailo employ unlicensed taxis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The reluctance to finish the payment process in view of the cardholder is what is worrying about this driver and I would be reporting that to Hailo as a security concern. It would be very easy for a dodgy driver to increase the amount or add a soiling charge or clean out the card if they were one of the many illegal unlicensed taxis on the roads.
    Pure supposition and unfounded allegation. And nothing to do with the OP leaving a phone behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Thanks for all your opinions!

I was more than willing to cover his expenses to drop it off or even meet him somewhere straight away but he refused to let me and said the Garda station was better for all of us. I persisted and even asked a few times about whatever location was easiest for him but he decided himself that his "option 1" was ruled out.

I now have to take his word for it that'll he'll drop it in to a station. Considering the problem with his refusal to entering the fare for card payment until we left the car, I don't have a lot of faith in him.

He gave you two options, dropping it at a Garda station suits him best, he's rid of the phone and a pest customer. Arranging to meet him could cost him time and money if he has a fare somewhere else. You forgot your phone, he didn't take it, he could have just thrown it in a bin if he wanted. Anything he does for you now is a courtesy.

But the Garda station was 'in the next couple of weeks'. That's not acceptable.

But the Garda station was 'in the next couple of weeks'. That's not acceptable.

Why not? The taxi really has no obligation here. The op forgot the phone in the taxi, getting it back at all is a bonus. You can get all high and mighty and say it is "unacceptable" but this is a case of finders keepers.

davo10 wrote: »
    Why not? The taxi really has no obligation here. The op forgot the phone in the taxi, getting it back at all is a bonus. You can get all high and mighty and say it is "unacceptable" but this is a case of finders keepers.

No. Getting back your property when it's in the possession of someone else is not a bonus, it's a right.

I don't know about you, but any time I've found wallets, phones, etc, my first action is to make contact with the owner if possible; my second is to drop it into my nearest Garda station immediately.

No. Getting back your property when it's in the possession of someone else is not a bonus, it's a right.

I don't know about you, but any time I've found wallets, phones, etc, my first action is to make contact with the owner if possible; my second is to drop it into my nearest Garda station immediately.

It really isn't a right when you lose something. If I'm wrong, provide a link that shows it is a "right".

It really isn't a right when you lose something. If I'm wrong, provide a link that shows it is a "right".

Glad to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_by_finding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Wikipedia loooooooooool:pac:

On the contrary, M'Lord, I draw the court's attention to "Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers."

The taxi driver could easily have said there was no sign of the phone. I think the benefit of doubt is on his side, but he is probably not too enamoured towards the OP.

• Advertisement

Glad to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_by_finding

You are joking aren't you? I can't seem to find anything in that link which relates to Irish law and theft.

A word of advice, never use Wikipedia as a source to back up a viewpoint.

Advertisement