Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hailo driver looking for money for my phone

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

davo10 wrote: »
    You are joking aren't you? I can't seem to find anything in that link which relates to Irish law and theft.

A word of advice, never use Wikipedia as a source to back up a viewpoint.

Feel free to ask a lawyer. Theft by finding is part of Irish law too. People have served time when they found goodies and thought "that's nice for me".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Chuchote wrote: »
    You are joking aren't you? I can't seem to find anything in that link which relates to Irish law and theft.

Feel free to ask a lawyer. Theft by finding is part of Irish law too. People have served time when they found goodies and thought "that's nice for me".

Link to that law please? Are you telling us that if you found 20 on the ground and put it in your pocket you have broken the law?

I could understand your point if what you found was a kilo of cocaine but finding a phone which someone has dropped/left behind is not a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Op said that the driver will drop phone to Garda station 'next week' sometime. This is sometime over the next few days not a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Link to that law please? Are you telling us that if you found 20 on the ground and put it in your pocket you have broken the law?

I could understand your point if what you found was a kilo of cocaine but finding a phone which someone has dropped/left behind is not a crime.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/man-convicted-of-theft-after-finding-nearly-3-000-in-bush-1.289077
    Man convicted of theft after finding nearly 3,000 in bush

Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act, 2001

In this case the item was lost/abandoned on someone else's property, not in a public place.

• Advertisement

Besides which, this case does not imply a right to return to the owner, only that the finder could not establish ownership. Had that money been left in his house or car, there would not have been a court case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

If it's your property and someone else keeps it without your permission, they've stolen it. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Ring the driver. Ask him to meet you at x location at x time, and give him 20 euros. Done.

If it's your property and someone else keeps it without your permission, they've stolen it. It's that simple.
    That certainly would be the case if they took it, but they didn't, the op lost it. It's that simple.

That certainly would be the case if they took it, but they didn't, the op lost it. It's that simple.

Op, just tell him leave at the Garda station, it won't cost you anything, you will know where it is and that will be the end of it. You could be a knob and shout about your rights, but the taxi can just through it out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Why? It's as reliable as the britannica and at least you know to not accept what it presents as the unerring truth .
    http://www.livescience.com/32950-how-accurate-is-wikipedia.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I read this yesterday and never thought would happen to me. My bag was stolen in Dublin today and found thrown away in shop bin but with my phone still in it. Nice lady worked out from landline from business card and rang me. Stuck it in taxi across town. He wouldn't take any cash although 30k journey. Lady in shop had given him a tenner so I sent her flowers. Now that's karma

Advertisement