Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paramedic Question - Driving Licences

• 06-08-2016 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey guys quick question.

I'm currently 20 turning 21 at the start of November. I know the minimum requirements to be a paramedic require you to hold at least a C1 licence and obtain D1 before commencing employment.

My question is how do I go about this? Should I do my theory test for the C1 licence or wait till I'm 21 and get the bus and truck theory test done?

As far as I know the bus and truck theory test when I turn 21 should allow me to take the tests for C and D classes?

Also wheres the best place for learning material? I passed my car class in Australia and all material was free online but doesn't seem to be that way here.

Help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Hey guys quick question.

I'm currently 20 turning 21 at the start of November. I know the minimum requirements to be a paramedic require you to hold at least a C1 licence and obtain D1 before commencing employment.

My question is how do I go about this? Should I do my theory test for the C1 licence or wait till I'm 21 and get the bus and truck theory test done?

As far as I know the bus and truck theory test when I turn 21 should allow me to take the tests for C and D classes?

Also wheres the best place for learning material? I passed my car class in Australia and all material was free online but doesn't seem to be that way here.

Help is appreciated.

D1 requirement was dropped in the latest recruitment. Only need C1 now. You can do C1 at 18 but only problem is getting C1 lessons depends on the area you're in, driving schools may not offer C1 lessons & you have to do C in order to get C1 & minimum age for C is 21 (unless doing CPC, then 18)

Look at https://www.ndls.ie/licence-categories.html for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Timmy.Sheridan

SO I need to pass my driving test for C class then do another driving test for C1? Whats the difference in the tests?

I can get my learner Permit for C class at the moment though cant I? I was looking at the Prometheus site earlier.

So there is no way to get the C1 licence without doing C first? It's weird that the age requirement is lower for C1 then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

SO I need to pass my driving test for C class then do another driving test for C1? Whats the difference in the tests?

I can get my learner Permit for C class at the moment though cant I? I was looking at the Prometheus site earlier.

So there is no way to get the C1 licence without doing C first? It's weird that the age requirement is lower for C1 then?

You have to first do the C theory test (there's no C1 theory test). The learner permit will be for the C class, that covers C1 too. Whether you choose to do C1 lessons & just do C1 test then is up to yourself (& depending if there's a C1 vehicle to do it all in). Most (including myself) end up doing the bigger truck C in order to get the smaller C1. If you do the C test that will automatically give you the C1. Just been through it all myself, was pretty confused over it too at the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mr ice

carav10 wrote: »
    You have to first do the C theory test (there's no C1 theory test). The learner permit will be for the C class, that covers C1 too. Whether you choose to do C1 lessons & just do C1 test then is up to yourself (& depending if there's a C1 vehicle to do it all in). Most (including myself) end up doing the bigger truck C in order to get the smaller C1. If you do the C test that will automatically give you the C1. Just been through it all myself, was pretty confused over it too at the start!

Might as well apply for the theory test for truck now and probably be 21by the time it comes around.

I'd apply to do the full c license as it costs broadly the same and then you have a useful qualification. You don't need to do the cpc test though as that's just for people who wish to drive trucks as a job.

Remember if you didn't do a science subject in leaving cert you'll have to do the emt course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Timmy.Sheridan

mr ice wrote: »
    Remember if you didn't do a science subject in leaving cert you'll have to do the emt course

HL Biology pass is enough right?

So it wouldn't be worth doing the bus an truck theory test? Do I still need D1 before commencing employment as a paramedic?

So it wouldn't be worth doing the bus an truck theory test? Do I still need D1 before commencing employment as a paramedic?

That and the C license would be fine yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Osgood

You don't need the D1 before commencing employment. On the previous job description a few years ago you had to get your D1 within a year of being taken on but that was not in the conditions of this recruitment drive. C1 is the only licence you must have.

Advertisement