Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic basketball tv schedule?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

[QUOTE=

Melo has been clutch for them in Iso play.....but again that's a very dangerous game to play. If he's not on, they're screwed.[/QUOTE]

Agreed , if Melo has a bad day offensively they are very beatable

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Watching Nigeria and Brazil now. It's awful stuff.

Group A W/L P
    1 [USA] USA 5/0 10
    2 [AUS] Australia 4/1 9
    3 [FRA] France 3/2 8
    4 [SRB] Serbia 2/3 7
    5 [VEN] Venezuela 1/4 6
    6 [CHN] China 0/5 5
    Group B W/L P
    1 [ARG] Argentina 3/1 7
    2 [BRA] Brazil 2/3 7
    3 [LTU] Lithuania 3/1 7
    4 [ESP] Spain 2/2 6
    5 [CRO] Croatia 2/2 6
    6 [NGR] Nigeria 1/4 6

Pools as they stand.

If Spain lose to Argentina tonight, they're out. If they win, they top the group. Strange!

Forgot to mention, Nando De Colo tore it up for France when he was on the court the other night (he was rested a LOT, esp. in the 2nd half) against the Yanks. If he wasn't tied down with CSKA, he'd be back in the NBA in a heartbeat after that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Spain v Argentina is a decent game so far

• Advertisement

In bed but recording it - no spoilers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Really? I thought it was the worst game I've seen so far. I switched off after the 3rd quarter.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Really? I thought it was the worst game I've seen so far. I switched off after the 3rd quarter.

I think he posted just after the first quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Shame Brazil are out
    I would have preferred someone other than Argentina in the quarters from a US perspective. I reckon Coach K will illicit a much more focussed and defensively aggressive performance.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote:

I think he posted just after the first quarter.

Yeah the 1st quarter had just finished.. It went downhill very quickly then

USA-Argentina
    Spain-France

Croatia-Serbia
    Australia-Lithuania

The winners of USA-Argentina and Spain-France will play in one semifinal, and the winners of Serbia-Croatia and Australia-Lithuania will play in the other.

Croatia-Serbia and Spain-France have potential for some shenanigans......could get very chippy. All have history.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Shame Brazil are out
    I would have preferred someone other than Argentina in the quarters from a US perspective. I reckon Coach K will illicit a much more focussed and defensively aggressive performance.

While Argentina will trouble the US at times they just don't have anyone physically big enough to trouble Cousins/Jordan which the teams that ran them close have targeted. Shame as Manu is one of my all time favourite players.

Very strange to see Argentina not start Nocioni against Spain after he lit it up V Brazil. Very strange decision.

Spain looked very good in parts against Argentina, very good indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Argentina 21 19 USA 2:30 left in quarter no 1.

Gonna stay up and watch this if the score is close at the half

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

USA 25 Argentina 21 end quarter no 1. Not a bad game to be fair. But the USA have a few gears to go up if needed.

The US turned it on and destroyed them.. Should be an interesting game in the semi's against the Spanish

The US turned it on and destroyed them.. Should be an interesting game in the semi's against the Spanish

AH FFS!!!!!!!! I honestly thought this was on tomorrow for some reason! I'm up and awake too. So flipping annoyed. I think/hope I have it recorded though.

Teodosic's passing is just a joy to watch. He had a bounce pass with side spin on it from the top of key in a crowded lane against the US that was just amazing, and the pass shown in the video I posted earlier from BBall breakdown was pretty cool too. He ran the show against Croatia, really smart player.

US Serbia rematch in the Final. Will be a closer game I suspect than the pool game - not so much in the scoreline maybe but overall.
    The pool game was kinda weird as though they only lost by 3, Serbia never led in the game and got off to a truly horrible start (they were down by 18 in the first quarter). The US also shot over 40 Free throws in that game btw so a lot of Serbian players were in foul trouble for a lot of the game.

The US have looked better since then, but it should be a good game.

• Advertisement

Basketball is America's game. The rest of the world is weak. They did the bare minimum in the group stages and have then killed it since then. The rest of the world is entitled to play but so long as the US is reasonably organised they are irrelevant.

The US crushing Serbia in the first half of the final. No contest.

Basketball is America's game. The rest of the world is weak. They did the bare minimum in the group stages and have then killed it since then. The rest of the world is entitled to play but so long as the US is reasonably organised they are irrelevant.

The US crushing Serbia in the first half of the final. No contest.

That's a bit harsh.
    They did in the 2nd quarter but not the first. And Spain ran them very close in the semi final.

Teodosic would make that US team. He's more than holding his own.

Switched over to RTÉ commentary for a few minutes there, my God Timmy & Sean are very hard to listen to.

That's a bit harsh.
    They did in the 2nd quarter but not the first. And Spain ran them very close in the semi final.

Teodosic would make that US team. He's more than holding his own.

Switched over to RTÉ commentary for a few minutes there, my God Timmy & Sean are very hard to listen to.

30 point victory in the Gold medal match says it all. The US were in total control the entirety of this tournament. They play these things on the off chance the US fail to show up. When they do show up they simply obliterate the opposition.

30 point victory in the Gold medal match says it all. The US were in total control the entirety of this tournament. They play these things on the off chance the US fail to show up. When they do show up they simply obliterate the opposition.

Ah no they weren't. There was real fear in the US print and mainstream media they would lose a game the way they were playing.

They beat Australia by 10 in a game that was way closer than the scoreline suggests.
    Spain by 6, very close game.
    France by 3, but not as close as the score suggests.
    Serbia by 3 after leading by 18 in the first quarter and they (the US) were hanging on at the end - they didn't score in the last 2:14.

Yes they blew Serbia in the Final but I honestly thought Spain or Australia would have given them a much closer game in the final. Serbia had a nightmare game but they're better than they looked tonight.

For the record, I'm not saying they didn't have the most talented collection of individual players, but there's more to the team game than that.

Out of curiosity, did you think Pau and Teodosic (just picking the two most obvious non-US players) had good tournaments?

Individuals on other teams of course would have had good tournaments, but I'm not sure how that impacts upon my point.

The fear in the media was way overstated. I wasn't buying it for one second. They were playing in second gear, and they ramped up their intensity post the group stages and never looked like losing from that point on imo. It's a romantic notion that the rest of the world can compete tbh:

2016 Olympics: 1st
    2014 World Cup: 1st
    2012 World Cup: 1st
    2010 World Cup: 1st
    2008 Olympics: 1st
    2006 World Cup: 3rd
    2004 Olympics: 3rd
    2002 World Cup: 6th
    2000 Olympics: 1st
    1998 World Cup: 3rd
    1996 Olympics: 1st
    1994 World Cup: 1st
    1992 Olympics: 1st

but the reality is that a sloppy four year period is a distant memory and under coach K they've locked in a winning mentality that extends beyond the presence of all the top stars. In 2010, 2014 and 2016 they've won comfortably while reaching into their playing pool. They haven't lost a game in an International tournament in 10 years. The rest of the world just isn't on their level.

I'm not sure how 10, 3, and 3 point wins in the pool stages and a 6 point semi final win equals total dominance and never in any doubt but hey, you're entitled to your opinion.

As for the US press being way overstated in their fear, I wasn't reading the US equivalent of The Sun and The Daily Mail now. You can say they were in 2nd gear but they looked poor (by the standards you'd expect given the personnel) and beatable in a lot of those games (bar the early pool games, the q final and the final).

When a team have won their last ~55 International Tournament matches in a row over a decade it seems reasonable to assume that they're going to find ways to win even when they don't look great.

Their bench depth negates fit and cohesion issues imo, and will continue to do so unless something significant changes in their organisation (like a new coaching setup).

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

This resulted in my choosing to either stream the games, watch on another channel where possible or watch the games on mute. If that fella shouted "Boomshakalaka" one more time I was ready to throw something through the screen.

When a team have won their last ~55 International Tournament matches in a row over a decade it seems reasonable to assume that they're going to find ways to win even when they don't look great.

Their bench depth negates fit and cohesion issues imo, and will continue to do so unless something significant changes in their organisation (like a new coaching setup).

You're moving the goalposts there. We're not talking about the last 55 games, we're talking about the most recent 8....and they didn't coast all of those with "total dominance" and "never in any doubt" performances. The semi was a very close game.

Doesn't matter, you're not going to change or even slightly amend your opinions so let's not argue about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement