Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long haired cat, messy bum!!!

• 06-08-2016 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

Well the title says it all. My long haired cat Tux often gets a bit of poo stuck in the long hair around her bum :P :P:confused: Then she drags her bum on the floor (long skid marks!!!!) or will fly around the place as if her tail is on fire, in a panic cos theres something hanging out of her bum?!?!? NB: The poo isnt runny or soft (sorry for all the detail here folks). I usually end up grabbing her, and with tons of baby water-wipes, will manage to clean her up. Ive cut a few lumps out of her fur with a scissors (ugh!)

Any advice or just put up with it? Shes my first cat, love her to bits, but Ive decided that dogs are just so much bloody easier to understand/handle (sorry Tux!!!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Similar story here, water wipes at the ready at all times!
    Not a long haired cat, she just adopts a very upright poo-position, front two paws on the edge of the (6inch high) litter box. She has well formed poop but the last cm of it is always soft.... and the inevitable happens!
    It doesn't seem to bother her too much, but bothers me a lot when I find a tiny dot of poo on the carpet. :mad:
    Our only solution so far is to catch her with the water wipes!
    In your case, keeping the hair trimmed should make a difference. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I had one years ago with same issue, we just kept the fur on his bum cut really short, not the most attractive look but I don't think the cat cared and no poop!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Trim out a poop-chute. I do that with my long haired, fluffy rear ended dogs.

Basically trim out a channel for the poo to fall out cleanly.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Yes - had this situation with some of ours, and found the best thing was a regular trim of the bum beard.

Needless to say, but be very, very careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

wow, clipping around her bum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Definately a two-person job I would imagine
    Poor Tux, the final indignity
    And just one more symptom of the plain wierdness of cats (I do love her tho)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

aonb wrote: »
    wow, clipping around her bum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Definately a two-person job I would imagine
    Poor Tux, the final indignity
    And just one more symptom of the plain wierdness of cats (I do love her tho)

You could always try and make it enjoyable. ;) Feed kittie treats as someone else clips her bum while she stands, if she sits down/turns around, stop clipping, encourage kittie to stand again, give treats, attempt clipping again? Doesn't have to be traumatic for the feline or the humans. :D

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

kathleen37 wrote: »
    Yes - had this situation with some of ours, and found the best thing was a regular trim of the bum beard.

Needless to say, but be very, very careful.
    I imagine you're taking your life into your hands trimming a cat's bum! We have three mini poodles, one of whom is rather prone to clinkers and various varieties of rear-end dribble. All three of them get their bums trimmed regularly too. No dignity but it is much easier to keep clean.

At our previous house the missus had one of the dogs on the patio, clippers out and trying to keep him still, frustrated as he wriggled she said "come here while I shave your arse". Our elderly neighbours were a few feet away the other side of the hedge, probably wondering about the strange goings on next door!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,307 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I had one years ago with same issue, we just kept the fur on his bum cut really short, not the most attractive look but I don't think the cat cared and no poop!;)
    This was done for my westie when she was around. Did the job. Meant she didn't have to scrape her arse around the (then carpeted) floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Two long haired cats in this house too. Back-end trimming is required on a regular basis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Welcome to the world of dingleberries! Bailey does that panic running too the odd time it happens to him. I had to remove a LONG strand of grass for him yesterday - it must be the first time it happened at home - usually it happens when there's an audience of horrified onlookers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

tk123 wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of dingleberries! Bailey does that panic running too the odd time it happens to him. I had to remove a LONG strand of grass for him yesterday - it must be the first time it happened at home - usually it happens when there's an audience of horrified onlookers!!!

One of my fondest childhood memories was watching my aunt trying to remove an elastic band which was dangling out of the cat's bum...us kids thought it was great!

Jeez thanks guys! Clipping a cats bum would not be on my list of ideal maintenance jobs :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Jeez thanks guys! Clipping a cats bum would not be on my list of ideal maintenance jobs :cool:
    Looks great on your CV though; #1 bum hole hair cutter shows dedicated and delicate negotiation skill in the line of duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Nody wrote: »
    Looks great on your CV though; #1 bum hole hair cutter shows dedicated and delicate negotiation skill in the line of duty.

The scars will be a conversation piece too! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

tk123 wrote: »
    The scars will be a conversation piece too! :p
    Well could end up awkward; I was asked once by an acquaintance when I stopped cutting myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I usually end up grabbing her, and with tons of baby water-wipes, will manage to clean her up.

Zooplus sells cat wipes for this purpose, FWIW. Might be safer to use something specifically designed for them.

Another question for you cat-experts. We live in a quiet rural area, not many houses around, but one of the closest neighbours - v.elderly people, country types (!) have a bit of a menagerie on their little homestead. They wouldnt neuter cats, they have several. Lately 3 or 4 of them have been hanging a bit around our garden - we dont leave food out - yesterday there was a gang of them like little hoodlums (picture it!) on our front property line yowling/howling/growling etc :eek: Tux was hovering around the conservatory looking out, frightened/worried looking. I was very reluctant to let her out - would they have attacked her? why were they doing that? (Tux is neutered) would they gang up on her? she seems to be indoors an awful lot lately - she goes in/out/in/out, but mostly sleeps indoors all day - theres a lot of cat vocalisation at night. Is my perfect little tiny cat being bullied by local yobbo cats :cool:

Is my perfect little tiny cat being bullied by local yobbo cats :cool:

This reminds me of an episode of My Cat From Hell http://jacksongalaxy.com/2013/05/13/catification-recap-autumn/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I'm finding this thread hilarious
    Dingleberries, poop chutes and bum beards.. haha

I have a long haired dog and have to do the poop chute trick with him, he hates it.

with a passion.

No bum surfing across the floors though, win win.

Havent had the nerve to start clipping Tux's bum yet in case I cut her :eek: (need to find a willing 2nd pair of hands - my husband wouldnt be willing :D)

Ive noticed lately - and Im wondering could it be something to do with the cat activity outside - that shes pooping and peeing in the litter box, before she always went outside??? Also, she sleeps at night in a workroom - this is where she was introduced when she was feral, so shes always been put to bed there at night (has the run of the house all day) - her litter tray is in there, but shes also poo-ing on the floor of the workroom, or on her beanbag :mad: - when the litter tray is clean. Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Beanbags feel very very like litter under foot with the added advantage of being nice and soft and warm. I've learned from experience, never leave cats unsupervised around bean bags!!

Beanbags feel very very like litter under foot with the added advantage of being nice and soft and warm. I've learned from experience, never leave cats unsupervised around bean bags!!

wow, never thought of that! She LOVED that bed - its been in a workshop since she was found - was amazed that she poo'd on it - but as you say, feels like litter... Shes still poo-ing on the floor a lot in there - a recent occurance, which she never used to do before

I learned that the hard way too. Beanbag stays hidden away unless my bum is on it. They are no fun to clean!

Advertisement