Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GIS/GID expiry date

• 06-08-2016 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Can someone tell me if the gis/gid certs have an expiry date? I have the courses done but it was a long time ago. I enquired about doing the courses again but its nearly 2k and only on a fri and sat ( thats in portlaoise, nearest one to me, galway). The problem I have is the boss reckons its too expensive with the 2k and paying me for fri/ sat and has said no to me doing the course.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭RJF

The GIS/GID are a lifetime award.
    However if you are RGI or want to become RGI then you will need to take a Domestic Gas safety Assessment (DGA) every five years.
    See RGII website for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭gifted

RJF wrote: »
    The GIS/GID are a lifetime award.
    However if you are RGI or want to become RGI then you will need to take a Domestic Gas safety Assessment (DGA) every five years.
    See RGII website for details.
    Thanks for that, when i looked at tnat DGA course it told me that I needed a Rgi number?

Yes if you are not already RGI then you need to apply.

GIS/GID are not much use to you if you are not an RGI since you cannot work on gas if you are not an RGI.

Yes if you are not already RGI then you need to apply.

GIS/GID are not much use to you if you are not an RGI since you cannot work on gas if you are not an RGI.

Hiya,

Thanks for that, I've just emailed rgii so hopefully they will get back to me. I don't do domestic appliances, i work on the commercial/industrial side but any time in the last couple of years that we install a gas line (1/2" to 4") we have to get a rgi to test and sign off so the boss suggested I do the course.

Thanks again.

Also the commercial side will be regulated eventually.

• Advertisement

Also the commercial side will be regulated eventually.

Yeah, Saw that course as well, CGS ((commercial gas safety ), all ready to go but not accredited yet, put my name down for it but they reckon it won't come in until next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

gifted wrote: »
    Hiya,

Thanks for that, I've just emailed rgii so hopefully they will get back to me. I don't do domestic appliances, i work on the commercial/industrial side but any time in the last couple of years that we install a gas line (1/2" to 4") we have to get a rgi to test and sign off so the boss suggested I do the course.

Thanks again.

You can't resit unless your rgi
    You can become rgi and then they will let you know when you have to resit
    Reassessment has to be done every 5 years
    Rgii will inform you better

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Plans to regulate commercial are very advanced, and will begin in 2017/18 (at the latest) RGII will update you as it gets closer, but will be fully regulated by 2020.

GIS/GID are not a lifetime award, they have a 5 year expiry on them, G1/G2/G3 used to have no expiry on them, but under RGII scheme rules (see CER criteria document) you must re-certify every 5 years. (GIS/GID are now closing and are replaced by a single course called DGS Domestic Gas Safety a 16 day programme)

Robbie is 100% that you must be a registered RGI to sit the DGA (GID-reassessment essentiality)

DGOBS wrote: »
    Plans to regulate commercial are very advanced, and will begin in 2017/18 (at the latest) RGII will update you as it gets closer, but will be fully regulated by 2020.

GIS/GID are not a lifetime award, they have a 5 year expiry on them, G1/G2/G3 used to have no expiry on them, but under RGII scheme rules (see CER criteria document) you must re-certify every 5 years. (GIS/GID are now closing and are replaced by a single course called DGS Domestic Gas Safety a 16 day programme)

Robbie is 100% that you must be a registered RGI to sit the DGA (GID-reassessment essentiality)

So that means I have to sit the gid/gis exams again? Also is it worth doing them if they are going to be replaced with DGS cert? If I do the gid/gis course will that suffice for the next five years even though the commerial gas course will be in force before the 5 years is up?

Apologies for the questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

DGOBS wrote: »

And what are the entry requirements for somebody to do the DGA?

• Advertisement

I based my response to the OP on the following from RGII website ( from memory at the time) and then directed the OP to consult the RGII website for more complete information.

"CER response
    An individual must have a GID certificate to register with RGII.
    The GID is treated as a lifelong award for the purposes of RGII registration, even though some GID certificates have expiry dates. An RGI is not removed from the register if their GID award expires.
    Separately under the criteria document RGIs will be required to sit a competency
    assessment every five years (regardless of whether their GID has an expiry date or not).
    This requirement is already in place, but will not be implemented until that competency assessment is in place and available.

The CER has intended note1 to require that individuals:

that had not been registered with RGII in the last two years and whose qualifications were more than two years old would be required to sit the competency assessment prior to registering with RGII. This is intended to ensure that individuals who have not been working on domestic gas appliances in the preceding two years or have not been trained within the preceding two years have to sit the assessment prior to engaging in gas works.
    The approved modification has been amended slightly to clarify this."

gifted wrote: »
    So that means I have to sit the gid/gis exams again? Also is it worth doing them if they are going to be replaced with DGS cert? If I do the gid/gis course will that suffice for the next five years even though the commerial gas course will be in force before the 5 years is up?

Apologies for the questions

My understanding of it is that you will not need to sit your GIS/GID again.
    If you make your application to RGII and your GIS/GID is older than 2 yrs, then you will be required to take the DGA (which is essentially GID as DGOBS said).
    It is also a requirement that you have a level 6 trade cert in plumbing, electric, gas fitting or refrigeration.

Upon further investigation I found the following

(1) My quote in post no. 12 was taken from the criteria document version 1.4 which came up on one of the links in the RGII website. The same document appeared when I consulted the CER website.

(2) A new version of the criteria document was released in Nov. 2015. This is version 1.5.
    You will be directed to it on the RGII website on some links but not all. Similarly depending on search criteria within the CER website you may get version 1.4 or 1.5.

Gifted- As far as I can see if you apply to RGII you will need to take the DGA to become registered. You do not need to take the training course for the DGA but may do so if you wish.

The following is from the criteria document version 1.5, Section C

"1.1
    Who can become a member of the Body
    Each individual who wishes to undertake gas works must be registered.

Registration will cover the following types of gas works:

(i) Domestic gas works –Installation and commissioning; and/or

(ii) Domestic gas works –Servicing

[Non-domestic membership categories to be included in due course]

1.2 Membership Categories

1.2.1 There are two (2) membership categories of Registration with the Body

–Full Membership and Trainee Membership. Each membership category will have the following General Membership conditions:

a. Hold appropriate commercial insurance.
    b. Pay the appropriate membership fee to the Body (see Section B 1.7).
    c. Sign and accept the Rules of Registration (see Section B 2.3).

The specific requirements for each membership category are as follows:
    1) Full Membership (Domestic) will be open to individuals who hold [note1]:
    Either [note2]:
    (i) A Domestic Gas Safety Award (DGS); or,
    (ii) A Gas Installer Safety (GIS) and a Gas Installer Domestic (GID)
    award or equivalent [note2]
    And
    a. A level 6 advanced craft certificate in Gas Fitting, Electrical, Plumbing, or Refrigeration [note2]

[note1]
    Any previously registered individual, who was not registered for the preceding period of two years or greater, shall be required to complete the on-going competency assessment prior to re-entering the scheme.
    [note2]
    Use of equivalent award subject to approval by the CER that award meets scheme criteria.

2) Trainee membership –Domestic

a. will be open to individuals who are undertaking or have completed a plumbing apprenticeship (or a FETAC Level 6 advanced craft certificate in Electrical, Plumbing, Gas Fitting or Refrigeration.) and are working towards full membership;

1.2.3 Company Registration
    The Regulatory System provides for individually registered gas installers to operate under company registration. The specific requirements of such registration are as follows:
    a. Each RGI who will undertake gas works on behalf of the company must have full or trainee membership of the Body as outlined in Section B 2.1.3.

1.2.4 Provisional Membership
    (Section removed in Criteria Document Modification 1.5.)

Any company or RGI who engages a sub contractor to carry out gas works is responsible for ensuring that the sub contractor is an RGI. If a company or RGI fails to comply with such a requirement, he/she will be subject to disciplinary procedures as set out in Section D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Last I heard they couldn't come up with a format for the commercial course and couldn't get the expertise to draw it up.

I reckon it will be a shambles.

No, commercial regulation is a certainty, and looks like it will be broken up into modules for different disciplines (pipework, catering, heating, etc.)

If a GIS or GID has an expiry, it cannot be taken as a 'lifetime award' it has expired, the DGA is the extension as such, that continues your competency for the next 5 years.

Your right over the two year acceptance (scheme rule), and possibly the DGA (you wouldn't have to resit the GIS, if in date, as this is only an entry to GID), but as above, this is now being replaced by DGS (essentially a combined GIS/GID that is QQI certified) and the GIS/GID is closing presently (I don't have the end date here, as it's still being used in some training centres)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fridge_Eng

Hi,
    I'm f-gas certified, city & guilds 2079. Can work on high pressure refrigeration systems @ over 30 bar running pressure including flammable propane based refrigerants. Does anyone know if I can sit an RGI exam so as I can work on domestic gas & how much it costs?

Any information appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Fridge_Eng wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm f-gas certified, city & guilds 2079. Can work on high pressure refrigeration systems @ over 30 bar running pressure including flammable propane based refrigerants. Does anyone know if I can sit an RGI exam so as I can work on domestic gas & how much it costs?

Any information appreciated.

Information on the course, the exam and qualifications required.

Metac Training

If you hold a national trade certificate in refrigeration, yes you are eligible to train for your gas qualifications.

Advertisement