Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uneven skin cure for male?

Options
  • 06-08-2016 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im a 30 year old male and ive always had very pigmented uneven on my face.

About 2 years ago i did see dermatologist who focuses on cosmetic products and treatments.

I then used some of the zoo medical range such as melamin amd melamix. There over 10 creams in total i think given to me some of which where for exfoliating powder, alcohol pads and such for acne but the above two were the main creams used.

It was quite expensive as cost over €700 but I had hoped it could be a permanent solution.

To be fair, its my own fault that it wasnt. You are supposed to apply the creams for 6 weeks but I was working in an office and the peeling was so bad i gave up after about 3 and half weeks. Throughout this time there was lots of peeling. like my whole face like a snake.

As i didnt follow up again with any other creams,its long since gone right back to dry uneven skin.

Its looking like im going to be out of work soon and thinking of taking this as an opportunity to attempt to repeat the above for the full 6 weeks required or seek an alternative treatment.

Alternatively, im seeing other jobs i could I apply for now but if im straight back into work i wont be able to do the above treatment.

Ive been spending my morning reading up on amazon of different creams but im not sure how effective they are or how suitable they would be.

Being a male, id prefer not have to use a cream with much of a scent as i dont want people to think im wearing perfume.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Hi there,

I'd recommend a good glycolic treatment such as Alpha H Liquid Gold used once or twice a week. You can get it on Cloud 10 beauty. Manual exfoliators / scrubs are no good for you so steer clear of them.

Skin is skin so don't get too bogged down with male vs female skincare, the main difference is marketing (eg steel grey coloured packaging for men or say, pink for women) but I see what you mean about not wanting anything overly perfumed. I'd recommend getting a good moisturiser from La Roche Posay or Kiehls, as both are brilliant brands.

Avoid anything foaming in face washes. Finally and most importantly, an SPF50 every single day is a must if you're suffering from pigmentation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Alpha H Liquid Gold is 2 for 1 on beauty bay FYI if your thinking if going that way!

A couple of lazer treatments would give a permanent result and not cause the issues you had before OP. Less fiddly than using acids over months for not as good results.

Candie wrote: »
    A couple of lazer treatments would give a permanent result and not cause the issues you had before OP. Less fiddly than using acids over months for not as good results.

Acids aren't fiddly, you just put some Liquid Gold on a cotton pad and swipe across your face, that's it. It's designed for pigmentation and sun damage, etc.

I've no experience of laser but I very much doubt it's a permanent solution anyway, the issues will come back, as they did before, if the OP doesn't keep up with acids/ exfoliation.

It's less effective and takes much longer than lasers. If he uses sunscreen etc, he may never have a return of the uneven pigmentation, or he could have a top up treatment. It's an option if he prefers not to be tied to a specific routine with products every day.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    It's less effective and takes much longer than lasers. If he uses sunscreen etc, he may never have a return of the uneven pigmentation, or he could have a top up treatment. It's an option if he prefers not to be tied to a specific routine with products every day.

Actually, I noticed a huge difference when I started acid toning. I'm sure it's the same for most people.

He could get the laser treatment and the pigrmention will return if his routine isn't consistent, guaranteed. SPF is there to protect, not aid cell turnover like acid toning. I'm not sure why you think getting a top up is better than having a consistent and decent routine? It's a lot more expensive, for a start!

It's another option for him. The choice isn't limited to acids. People like to know their options, so I told him he had another.

I've a friend who had bad pigmentation from old acne, two lazer sessions and he was even toned and smooth, and five years later remains that way. Five years of acids versus two lazer sessions? Not sure how it works out price wise, but results wise it was exceptional.

But the OP never indicated that his pigmentation was caused by acne? He refers to his skin as dry and uneven. Hence, in my view, he's better off starting with some proper skincare, rather than going in immediately all guns blazing with laser.

That reminds me, OP, rosehip oil is also good for dry skin and pigmentation (so long as you don't suffer from acne, which it doesn't sound like you do)

He wanted options. I appreciate your option has worked for you, but he might like to know the existence of other avenues.

I don't know what the big issue is in just telling him lazers work for pigmentation. He can make up his own mind what he wants to do with the information. That's all it is, information.

This is a discussion board and frankly, I disagreed with some of your points, eg acids are fiddly, that laser is a permanent solution, that he essentially needn't bother with a routine and could just get a top up if it happens again. Neither of us are right or wrong but again, this is a discussion board, so everyone is allowed to comment with their opinions.

Like you said, it's up to the OP to decide what he does with that information

• Advertisement

You also said you'd no experience of lazers, and since I do via my friend I thought I'd add it in. No need to be dismissive.

I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Acids aren't fiddly, you just put some Liquid Gold on a cotton pad and swipe across your face, that's it. It's designed for pigmentation and sun damage, etc.

I've no experience of laser but I very much doubt it's a permanent solution anyway, the issues will come back, as they did before, if the OP doesn't keep up with acids/ exfoliation.

Chemical acids do solve some pigmentation issues however over the counter acids unless your doing chemical peels aren't some magical cure for all pigmentation issues. By the sounds of this op has bad enough pigmentation that he went to a dermatologist and was prescribed what I'm assuming is retin a, which he used for a few months but this didn't solve his problem so I doubt acids are going to give him the result he wants regardless of what your experience with acids is.

Op I'd advise you go see your doctor or dermatologist and tell them what you've said here they'll be to find a solution that suits you.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Chemical acids do solve some pigmentation issues however over the counter acids unless your doing chemical peels aren't some magical cure for all pigmentation issues. By the sounds of this op has bad enough pigmentation that he went to a dermatologist and was prescribed what I'm assuming is retin a, which he used for a few months but this didn't solve his problem so I doubt acids are going to give him the result he wants regardless of what your experience with acids is.

Not sure where you're getting that he used the products prescribed for a few months. He said he used them for three and a half weeks and didn't follow up with any other creams. As with any routine, you have to be consistent and stick with it to get results. This is why I'm suggesting that he fixes his routine first. That's all

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Are the pigmentations that the OP mentions caused by sun damage, acne or like mine a build up of melanin? My question is:
    Can all the above types of pigmentation be treated the same? Would Liquid Gold work for me? I am aware that to combat melanin buildup I should make sure that I keep my levels of Vit A, C, E & K up see:
    http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/How-to-Reduce-Melanin.html
    I do wear a sunscreen with zinc oxide SPF30 under moisturiser everyday.
    Any help & suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

LinF wrote: »
    Are the pigmentations that the OP mentions caused by sun damage, acne or like mine a build up of melanin? My question is:
    Can all the above types of pigmentation be treated the same? Would Liquid Gold work for me? I am aware that to combat melanin buildup I should make sure that I keep my levels of Vit A, C, E & K up see:
    http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/How-to-Reduce-Melanin.html
    I do wear a sunscreen with zinc oxide SPF30 under moisturiser everyday.
    Any help & suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is it melasma you suffer from? If so, products or laser won't fix it, just keep it nourished and protected. Can I ask why you apply sunscreen under moisturiser? Moisturiser should sit closest to the skin and then the SPF on top protecting things! Also, if you suffer from melasma, you probably should go to 50 rather than 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Thank you for your response. It is not melasma dermatologist called it a buildup of melanin, this is very common in SE Asians, my ethnic background is Chinese with English, Japanese & Asian Indian. My mistake, apologies, Monsia day moisturiser with SPF15 first then sunscreen with SPF30 (dermatologist advised).

LinF wrote: »
    Thank you for your response. It is not melasma dermatologist called it a buildup of melanin, this is very common in SE Asians, my ethnic background is Chinese with English, Japanese & Asian Indian. My mistake, apologies, Monsia day moisturiser with SPF15 first then sunscreen with SPF30 (dermatologist advised).

In that case, I'm not sure! It's certainly a good idea to acid tone to encourage cell turnover and so on, whether it'll have an effect on a melanin buildup, I don't know! Doubtful though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Hey all thanks for the help.

Only getting a chance to look at responses to my post now as ive been busy with work and other issues.

So im still a little confused as to what the best option is to take.

Ive seen some Vitamin C serums and other acids on websites like Amazon but not sure how affective they would be.

Would the use of such help give me more even skin tone without the affect of peeling?

My understanding is that laser will also result in peeling but, is a laser much more effective than a skin peel and would I experience the kind of peeling i experienced before?

As mentioned in my original post, I had used some products before given to me by a dermatologist. These were the Obagi Zoo medical range, consisting melamin and melamax which both contain hydroquinone. I was supposed to do it for 6 weeks but gave up after 3 due to been unable to go to work in such a state.

Im likely to be let go from my current job at the end of the month. The issue with repeating the same process is that it means i will have to hold off applying for work as wont be in a fit state to interview or work if skin is peeling off my face.

Would a laser have the same effect as 6 weeks of obagi/zoo medical except come with a shorter downtime?

Ive seen some relatively inexpensive products on amazon but im not sure if they would have the same effect over time.
    The problem with products ive seen online that promise to achieve even skin tone and get rid of the pigmentation is that the reviews cant be relied upon. Most reviews on amazon giving high ratings for products seem to be all from people who got the products for free or at a discount so they would give a review.

lightspeed wrote: »
    Hey all thanks for the help.

Only getting a chance to look at responses to my post now as ive been busy with work and other issues.

So im still a little confused as to what the best option is to take.

Ive seen some Vitamin C serums and other acids on websites like Amazon but not sure how affective they would be.

Would the use of such help give me more even skin tone without the affect of peeling?

My understanding is that laser will also result in peeling but, is a laser much more effective than a skin peel and would I experience the kind of peeling i experienced before?

As mentioned in my original post, I had used some products before given to me by a dermatologist. These were the Obagi Zoo medical range, consisting melamin and melamax which both contain hydroquinone. I was supposed to do it for 6 weeks but gave up after 3 due to been unable to go to work in such a state.

Im likely to be let go from my current job at the end of the month. The issue with repeating the same process is that it means i will have to hold off applying for work as wont be in a fit state to interview or work if skin is peeling off my face.

Would a laser have the same effect as 6 weeks of obagi/zoo medical except come with a shorter downtime?

Ive seen some relatively inexpensive products on amazon but im not sure if they would have the same effect over time.
    The problem with products ive seen online that promise to achieve even skin tone and get rid of the pigmentation is that the reviews cant be relied upon. Most reviews on amazon giving high ratings for products seem to be all from people who got the products for free or at a discount so they would give a review.

Hi OP,

Personally I wouldn't go near those products on Amazon, especially if the reviews are biased.

Have a look at this video:

https://youtu.be/_5Z61R6qge8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Hi there,

I'd recommend a good glycolic treatment such as Alpha H Liquid Gold used once or twice a week. You can get it on Cloud 10 beauty. Manual exfoliators / scrubs are no good for you so steer clear of them.

Skin is skin so don't get too bogged down with male vs female skincare, the main difference is marketing (eg steel grey coloured packaging for men or say, pink for women) but I see what you mean about not wanting anything overly perfumed. I'd recommend getting a good moisturiser from La Roche Posay or Kiehls, as both are brilliant brands.

Avoid anything foaming in face washes. Finally and most importantly, an SPF50 every single day is a must if you're suffering from pigmentation!

Thanks lotus, can you clarify as to how much peeling will likely come from using Alpha H Liquid Gold?

My skin was rather sensitive to the zoo medical range which in a way is good as of course the idea is that it makes my skin peel.

However, i like i said it was so extreme that was'nt possible for me to go to work or be out in public.

• Advertisement

lightspeed wrote: »
    Thanks lotus, can you clarify as to how much peeling will likely come from using Alpha H Liquid Gold?

My skin was rather sensitive to the zoo medical range which in a way is good as of course the idea is that it makes my skin peel.

However, i like i said it was so extreme that was'nt possible for me to go to work or be out in public.

There won't be any visible peeling from Alpha H! As with all glycolic treatments though, it's so important to wear SPF after. Did you get a chance to watch that video I linked? The dermatologist mentioned that self intervention is the best method

Advertisement