Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ah they are though...

They didn't want to win anyway! Oh wait that's another team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

2ppg from a very tough opening 5 fixtures. Delighted with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I was happy enough to be sceptical about his place under Klopp this season esp playing in a deeper role but I think he's getting to know the position under the boss's coaching. Also helps that he looks fitter now than at any point in the last 18 months or so.

Nah we need to buy a CDM, you can't coach a player to play a different way... :D

Some strike today but his anticipation was great at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    And we get no credit for making them sh*te?

If one team looks ****e does the other team always have to take credit for that?

Aimless passing, even when not under pressure, poor delivery from out wide, Hazard utterly anonymous, even after beating a man, Oscar existing...

You generally don't go to Stamford Bridge and just stroll to an 8-0 win. There's always going to be an element of difficulty but I thought they were absolute poo.

We seemed to work far harder and be far sharper in most areas of the pitch. Those weren't things we should be effecting in them.
    Who are the top 5? Cause we played Arsenal off the park and dominated Chelsea tonight.

Both away from home. We also were better than Spurs at White Hart Lane.

I'd have things the same way as they were at the start of the season - City, Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and then us.

We did all that last season as well. That's not the problem with this squad.
    Our issues last season were at home and/or against weaker teams who sat deep - ie how you get the majority of your points.

We've failed pretty much our only test against a team like that so far.

I'm a bit more optimistic than I was 6 weeks ago that we could overacheive this season but I'm waiting until around Christmas time before I reckon we'll have much of a notion what kind of team we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Delighted with that. Stamford Bridge is a tough nut to crack for any team. But I think we did really well keeping them at bay.

Very optimistic for the next few matches

So Sturridge is injured again. Is there a pool on how many games he will miss this time around.

I'll guess 3 and he will come on as a sub in the 4th game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Feckin D-E-lighted with that. Delighted for Henderson, MotM and potential GOTS.

What a start to the weekend!

Klopps interview also... tremendous!

There'll be a few bob lumped on Liverpool for the league tonight :pac:

So Sturridge is injured again. Is there a pool on how many games he will miss this time around.

Ah, never mind that, he's brilliant. He's our mercurial houdini. When he's there it's magic!

This was priceless:

pC2Vwnl.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Gbear wrote: »
    If one team looks ****e does the other team always have to take credit for that?

Aimless passing, even when not under pressure, poor delivery from out wide, Hazard utterly anonymous, even after beating a man, Oscar existing...

You generally don't go to Stamford Bridge and just stroll to an 8-0 win. There's always going to be an element of difficulty but I thought they were absolute poo.

We seemed to work far harder and be far sharper in most areas of the pitch. Those weren't things we should be effecting in them.

I'd have things the same way as they were at the start of the season - City, Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and then us.

We did all that last season as well. That's not the problem with this squad.
    Our issues last season were at home and/or against weaker teams who sat deep - ie how you get the majority of your points.

We've failed pretty much our only test against a team like that so far.

I'm a bit more optimistic than I was 6 weeks ago that we could overacheive this season but I'm waiting until around Christmas time before I reckon we'll have much of a notion what kind of team we are.

I'm quite extatic with the kind of team we are at the minute. For me, that was the sweetest win I have had the pleasure of seeing for quite a while.

I may be in a minority but it's good to show a bit of football at the bridge, they've not seen it in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Confirmed?

As cold as this may sound, we aren't as reliant on him as we once were, we have better options up front so while its nice to have him available, his absence however long, is fairly unimportant as we can cope without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The was glorious..

High fives all around.

Must have double dropped at kick off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Damien360 wrote: »
    Real pity the Burnly result sours it all. Great start with really positive forward play.

Had we beaten Burnley on top of all the other results thus far there would be a selection of our fans already celebrating winning the title so maybe it was good to keep us down to earth. :o

NukaCola wrote: »
    Confirmed?

As cold as this may sound, we aren't as reliant on him as we once were, we have better options up front so while its nice to have him available, his absence however long, is fairly unimportant as we can cope without him.

Jermaine Jenas on the BBC said he was injured.

I'd much rather he was injured again than Firmino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'm quite extatic with the kind of team we are at the minute. For me, that was the sweetest win I have had the pleasure of seeing for quite a while.

I may be in a minority but it's good to show a bit of football at the bridge, they've not seen it in a while.

Would agree with this. It's a different type of football but it's as enjoyable as the 13/14 season.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Great stuff considering we were a man down without Firmino for the most part.

We were without Firmino for the all part :pac:

Man down?

J Mysterio wrote: »
    We were without Firmino for the all part :pac:

Man down?

Sturridge

NukaCola wrote: »
    Sturridge

Psssh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Matip. Boss. pic.twitter.com/6D5Ln8KXwX
    — Liverpool Gifs (@LiverpoolGifs) September 16, 2016 ">

You gotta love Klopp
    :D

• Advertisement

In some ways it was more satisfying to play such a controlled game.

We know we can go mental on teams and play crazy anarchic suicide football.
    Perhaps tonight has shown a bit more maturity than before and that's the key.

It could be that we're not actually going to go rampaging forward in future and what Klopp has shown tonight is that we can win games by the odd goal.

We kinda showed that against Arsenal in how we completely shut the game down at 3-4 but tonight it was going on the whole game.
    Even a bad Chelsea side can score against us if we're not at it (as they did when we weren't).

It was good to see them bottled up other than that.
    Some of the interplay under pressure was the best we've seen.

We didn't take it to the final third, but sometimes you get goals from set pieces and rockets from outside the box, in which case being able to hold what you have is okeydokey.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Psssh

Dont shoot the messenger.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Nah we need to buy a CDM, you can't coach a player to play a different way... :D

Some strike today but his anticipation was great at times.

I thought he had a great game tonight.
    Still, he hasn't always been so great in that role so I wouldn't be as sure as you that he'll prove to be suited there, I still prefer him getting forward more like with the goal but also his runs.
    We'll see over time I guess. Full marks tonight anyway.

The other "experiment" went ok too with Milner at LB again. I thought he was excellent there against Leicester, maybe tonight was harder but under the circumstances I thought he did pretty well.

You really have to hand it to Klopp, aside from the Burnley game (and even in that one apart from the final ball) we've been pretty much outstanding.
    That's a horrible sequence of fixtures done and dusted with 2 points per game average and some majestic football along the way.

He has a bunch of players who look devastated when they get subbed off, work their tits off for each other on the field and actually look like they're enjoying every minute of playing for him.

It bodes well.

Not their fault. Most parked buses have tinted windows :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Remember that time Lovren scored an actual real life goal and it wasn't even a joke?

Still, he hasn't always been so great in that role so I wouldn't be as sure as you that he'll prove to be suited there, I still prefer him getting forward more like with the goal but also his runs.

The other "experiment" went ok too with Milner at LB again. I thought he was excellent there against Leicester, maybe tonight was harder but under the circumstances I thought he did pretty well.

You really have to hand it to Klopp, aside from the Burnley game (and even in that one apart from the final ball) we've been pretty much outstanding.
    That's a horrible sequence of fixtures done and dusted with 2 points per game average and some majestic football along the way.

He has a bunch of players who look devastated when they get subbed off, work their tits off for each other on the field and actually look like they're enjoying every minute of playing for him.

It bodes well.

Of course he hasn't alway been great in that role. Thats the point... he's been great the last 3 games against Spurs, Leicester and now Chelsea. I don't even think he'll start there when Can is fit but its great to know he can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It bodes well.

The issue with those two probably isn't in games like tonight.

Against packed defences Milner won't give us the width we'll need.

Henderson won't have quite that speed of thought and quality on the ball that we need.
    I don't think the "D" part of the CDM is the important bit. We need a deep player, but I'm not arsed about their defending. I don't think we need a Mascherano is those games. It's the Alonso we're missing more IMO.

He's been grand this season in the main. He was just so atrocious against Burnley that it's skewed things a bit. That's where we need something different.
    And there's going to be more Burnleys than Chelseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

better Chelsea side then the one we beat last season 4-1

Great defensive performance,

should have won at Spurs too.

Happy Days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Jürgen Klopp after selling Martin Skrtel for actual money and replacing him with Matip for free

CsgYA4jXEAIphEi.jpg

• Advertisement

Was good to see Klopp give Henderson a big hug, Henderson was trying to avoid it I think.
    But he deserved that very public seal of approval from manager, he was great. He did switch off when the Chelsilians scored, but we have luxury of making a mistake in games this season as we can score more than one a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

We really should get top 4 this year. That's a good start to the season now hopefully karius can take mignolets place. Time to be ruthless klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Massive result. No superstars in the team, just a squad of players who work their bollox off. When was the last time so many new signings hit the ground running? Matip the missing link in defence, Mane has been fantastic and I've been very impressed with Wijnaldum. I think Can coming back will help cut out the leaky goals, but who do you take out? All 3 in the middle have played great so far, but I think a midfield of Can Hendo and Lallana is the best we have. I would have swapped hendo with Gini at the start of the year but Hendos undroppable at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    2ppg from a very tough opening 5 fixtures. Delighted with that.

+3 on the alternative table.

I only copped tonight 7/15 points was par to get 76 points, that's how hard our start to the season was. We're on target for about 95-100 points so, not getting carried away, we'll stay up anyway!

Henderson looks back to what he should be but still not a DM, defensively solid even with Mig, Coutinho put in a shift and no stupid shots, Mane and Sturridge quiet but still a big threat, only downsides player wise was Lucas and Origi didn't offer much.

Another defensive error, we commit one every 108 minutes under Klopp, Spurs and United is every 200 minutes or more. Keep this settled back 4, introduce Can and Karius gradually to the team and that should improve dramatically.

Next 2 months should be some craic, very winnable games but...

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

10 points from 5, of which 4 were away from home, and including wins against Chelsea, Leicester, and Arsenal.

Absorb that for a minute. An astounding start to the season.

The belief is rising , the trouble is we will always be the Liverpool of old if we lose to Hull, draw at Swansea and then beat Man U .
    I'm hoping for 9pts from next 3 . Man U will be easiest of the 3 without a doubt .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,203 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

We really should get top 4 this year. That's a good start to the season now hopefully karius can take mignolets place. Time to be ruthless klopp.

Surely Karius will be playing against Derby, hopefully Ings and Can too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have to admit to being very fond of Matip so far. Origi appears to have regressed significantly. Look forwards to seeing Ings again.

In some ways it was more satisfying to play such a controlled game.

We know we can go mental on teams and play crazy anarchic suicide football.
    Perhaps tonight has shown a bit more maturity than before and that's the key.

It could be that we're not actually going to go rampaging forward in future and what Klopp has shown tonight is that we can win games by the odd goal.

We kinda showed that against Arsenal in how we completely shut the game down at 3-4 but tonight it was going on the whole game.
    Even a bad Chelsea side can score against us if we're not at it (as they did when we weren't).

It was good to see them bottled up other than that.
    Some of the interplay under pressure was the best we've seen.

We didn't take it to the final third, but sometimes you get goals from set pieces and rockets from outside the box, in which case being able to hold what you have is okeydokey.

That's about as controlled as we are going to get under Klopp and it wasn't bad, a bit rushed and frenetic but with no Joe Allen to bring on, Lucas past it and Stewart getting game time, as good as could be expected.

Milner looks solid but there are gaps at LB at times, a good manager will exploit it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

The issue with those two probably isn't in games like tonight.

Against packed defences Milner won't give us the width we'll need.

Henderson won't have quite that speed of thought and quality on the ball that we need.
    I don't think the "D" part of the CDM is the important bit. We need a deep player, but I'm not arsed about their defending. I don't think we need a Mascherano is those games. It's the Alonso we're missing more IMO.

He's been grand this season in the main. He was just so atrocious against Burnley that it's skewed things a bit. That's where we need something different.
    And there's going to be more Burnleys than Chelseas.

Aye, true enough on Henderson. I was pointing out that I'm not necessarily a lover of him in that role so I can only assume you're agreeing with me.
    But he did well there tonight to be fair.
    When Emre Can is fit I'd start him every single time in that role.

Ach, I'm not too concerned about this Milner offering no width argument.
    He's doing a pretty good job there as a temporary solution. It's not ideal, no.
    But he can still cross a ball and I'd rather him than Moreno any day.

One thing this team is full of is creativity so if it doesnt come so much from our left back then I'm ok with that.
    It's better than the alternative which was stupid mistakes costing us goals.

It bodes well.

Yep, tough on Origi but Ings and Ojo deserve time ahead of him at this stage.

K-9 wrote: »
    Yep, tough on Origi but Ings and Ojo deserve time ahead of him at this stage.

I see no reason to start Ings over Origi. Origi is clearly ahead of him in the pecking order and needs game time.

Can't speak highly enough of Matip so far by the way. What a fantastic player he looks.

Gem of a signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I have to admit to being very fond of Matip so far. Origi appears to have regressed significantly. Look forwards to seeing Ings again.

Nice to have a 'head' playing at the back. Skrtel fooled people for years.

I dont think Origi has played enough to be able to do what people hoped he would when he came on. Should have buried the header and would have been a hero but thats not something to get too down about.

Can't speak highly enough of Matip so far by the way. What a fantastic player he looks.

Gem of a signing.

Yea I knew all along he was goin to be great. I could see it in his eyes .

• Advertisement

Aye, true enough on Henderson. I was pointing out that I'm not necessarily a lover of him in that role so I can only assume you're agreeing with me.
    But he did well there tonight to be fair.
    When Emre Can is fit I'd start him every single time in that role.

Ach, I'm not too concerned about this Milner offering no width argument.
    He's doing a pretty good job there as a temporary solution. It's not ideal, no.
    But he can still cross a ball and I'd rather him than Moreno any day.

One thing this team is full of is creativity so if it doesnt come so much from our left back then I'm ok with that.
    It's better than the alternative which was stupid mistakes costing us goals.

On Hendo, I don't think he'll ever really be an issue in games like tonight.
    I don't think the lack of DM really comes into these games. You're less streteched anyway and you've got so much energy from the front 6 that it takes pressure off the deepest midfielder.
    I'd expect him to be great in these games because he's class.

With Milner and our attack against weaker teams, there's only so much you can create with no space.

Mane helps and his absence was a big problem against Burnley, but aside from that, you need other people who can create space.

Even if you're dragging defenders out into a back 6 and you can't get a cross in, you're then at least creating space infield for Coutinho, Lallana or whoever.

We've now got two games against Hull and Swansea. There's Derby in there in the cup as well.

I'm really interested to see how we handle these. Very different animal.

What you want to see from Liverpool is to go into every game expecting to win, like 13/14.
    We're there or thereabouts on night like tonight and have been for most of Klopp's tenure but I'm still probably in the position where I just assume things will go tits up and we'll throw points away against **** teams.

If we want to build some real momentum, either the stupid goals going in needs to stop or we need to be putting buckets of goals past these teams - double tapping them basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That's about as controlled as we are going to get under Klopp and it wasn't bad, a bit rushed and frenetic but with no Joe Allen to bring on, Lucas past it and Stewart getting game time, as good as could be expected.

Milner looks solid but there are gaps at LB at times, a good manager will exploit it.

He was decent tonight, and made some good tackles but Willian had the beating of him nearly every time he took him on. Just surprised they didn't try exploit that more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Isn't there a rule if a player refuses a call up for his Country they can block him from playing for his club while those internationals are being played.
    If there is it never seemed to affect young Ryan Giggs - in the first 10 years of his international career he made 29 appearances for Wales. His international caps ramped up when Ferguson was no longer reliant upon him as a player.

With Milner and our attack against weaker teams, there's only so much you can create with no space.

Mane helps and his absence was a big problem against Burnley, but aside from that, you need other people who can create space.

Even if you're dragging defenders out into a back 6 and you can't get a cross in, you're then at least creating space infield for Coutinho, Lallana or whoever.

We've now got two games against Hull and Swansea. There's Derby in there in the cup as well.

I'm really interested to see how we handle these..

Me too mate. But I'll put it this way.... If we end up going on a run of poor results against teams who sit back and we cannot break them down and people then turn around and blame a lack of goals on the left back then I'll be pretty disappointed about the critics themselves.
    We have a myriad of attacking players.
    We should be fine in that regard.

If you put Moreno back in ahead of Milner you'd need to be twice as creative anyway coz he'll give goals away, unlike Milner.

Anyhow....... Screw it, not looking for an argument. I'm away to the leaba, enjoy the celebrations! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

+3 on the alternative table.

I only copped tonight 7/15 points was par to get 76 points, that's how hard our start to the season was. We're on target for about 95-100 points so, not getting carried away, we'll stay up anyway!

Henderson looks back to what he should be but still not a DM, defensively solid even with Mig, Coutinho put in a shift and no stupid shots, Mane and Sturridge quiet but still a big threat, only downsides player wise was Lucas and Origi didn't offer much.

Another defensive error, we commit one every 108 minutes under Klopp, Spurs and United is every 200 minutes or more. Keep this settled back 4, introduce Can and Karius gradually to the team and that should improve dramatically.

Next 2 months should be some craic, very winnable games but...

Thought Lucas was excellent when he came on - was at the heart of almost every interception, block, or nipping the ball away in that pressure filled last 10 minutes. Made the one rash challenge outside the box on Hazard, but even that Hazard was clearly playing for. And i'd much rather that challenge there than letting Hazard run into the box and get a shot away. Was very happy with him to be honest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement