Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Would like a handy home draw next two rounds .

Northampton at home in the next round would be sweet. We owe them one from that loss when we had no manager in 10/11 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Thought Ings looked really bright when he came on.

More game time for Origi, Can, Lucas, Gruic and the boy Ragnar.

Debut and clean sheet for Karius.

Proof that a much changed team can implement Klopps style effectively.

Through to the next round.

Excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You can see Bobby's teeth from space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

The upcoming Hull game is massive. Type of game we have blown regularly in recent times. I'll take a scrappy 1nil win but if we can really take em apart then the optimism levels will be sky high!

We're gonna lose in a scrappy 1nil now, aren't we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Sappy404 wrote: »
    It's incredible how quickly predictions change.

Opening round: Liverpool put 4 past Arsenal, they're contenders. Wenger needs to go. Spurs only drew with Everton? They don't have enough players for CL and a league push. With Pep and Mourinho, City and United surely favourites for the league.

Round 2: Liverpool lose 2-0 to Burnley - fooked. Lucky to get 4th. Same old problems. Conte has Costa banging them in again. Chelsea will defo get top 4. Mourinho and Ibra will win United the league. Arsenal only managed a draw with relegation candidates Leicester? They're gone.

Round 3: Decent LFC performance v Spurs, who look poor. They won't make top 4 this season. Harry Kane is a busted flush. Chelsea really are back. United winning in Fergie time again, of course. Mourinho knows how to win them the league. They'll hold off City now and go top after that. Arsenal only beat Watford, big deal.

Round 4: Liverpool hammer the Champions. We're BACK. Chelsea robbed vs Swansea, slight dent in their title push. Arsenal scraped a win v Southampton? Jammy. 2-1 City in the derby - Pep is the only chink in Mourinho's armour. They'll just edge United to the title this season then. But their dodgy keeper will cost them a few points.

Round 5: Pep is unstoppable - how ever will they drop points? They'll win the quadruple and go unbeaten. United are imploding, typical Mourinho. Spurs lose Kane? They're gone. So it's between Liverpool and City, then. Liverpool have already played all the top teams in the toughest opening fixture list ever. This will go right to the wire.

Current top 4:

1 Manchester City
    2 Everton
    3 Tottenham Hotspur
    4 Arsenal

There is a part of me that hopes City stay undefeated until they play us, so we can be the first team to beat Pep's team. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Alonso77 wrote:
    We're gonna lose in a scrappy 1nil now, aren't we?

Nope, we're going to absolutely batter them

Good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We have goals from all over. We can score this season unlike last two seasons.
    We should handle the likes of Hull because of this. We can concede first and still beat them 4-1. Before we would lose 0-1 .

We should handle the likes of Hull because of this. We can concede first and still beat them 4-1. Before we would lose 0-1 .

During 13/14 we scored 100 goals and still lost 0-1 to soton at home!

all things considered though, we are looking really good at moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Except from the strikers - Sturridge and Origi have yet to score in the league, Ings has yet to play. Firmino has chipped in with 2 goals but he's not a striker, he's a support player.

It's early days and there have only been 5 league games played so there's no need to panic or get over excited just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Talisman wrote: »
    Except from the strikers - Sturridge and Origi have yet to score in the league, Ings has yet to play. Firmino has chipped in with 2 goals but he's not a striker, he's a support player.

It's early days and there have only been 5 league games played so there's no need to panic or get over excited just yet.

You can call Firmino what you want but he is our main man up top now.

Origi hasn't started a league game as far as I remember either and Danny wont be relied on too much so I wouldn't be too worried about "strikers" not scoring, its not how we set up anyway......if anything its more important to get goals from all positions than relying on a striker....

Has to be a front 3 of Coutinho, Firmino, Mane on Saturday. Lallana, Wijnaldum, Henderson in behind them. Unless there is an injury of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

NukaCola wrote: »

Origi hasn't started a league game as far as I remember either and Danny wont be relied on too much so I wouldn't be too worried about "strikers" not scoring, its not how we set up anyway......if anything its more important to get goals from all positions than relying on a striker....

Yeah Origi and Sturridge both have 2 in the League Cup.

Sturridge was involved in 3 of the 4 goals against Leicester. As you say we're now being set up to get goals from all areas of the pitch and not be reliant on an out and out striker.

We have scored 11 league goals through 7 different players compared to say United who have 8 league goals but Ibrahimovic has scored 4 of them and Rashford 2.

Whatever about being relied upon if Klopp can't/won't get a fit Sturridge involved in plenty of games than we won't be doing as well as we could do imo :)

We beat Chelsea away without Firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Yeah Origi and Sturridge both have 2 in the League Cup.

Sturridge was involved in 3 of the 4 goals against Leicester. As you say we're now being set up to get goals from all areas of the pitch and not be reliant on an out and out striker.

We have scored 11 league goals through 7 different players compared to say United who have 8 league goals but Ibrahimovic has scored 4 of them and Rashford 2.

And 10 different scorers this season including the league cup. Not bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Last season we had 5 goals in 7 games under Rodgers, this season we have got 19 after 7 games with Klopp...

Progress...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fieldog wrote: »
    Last season we had 5 goals in 7 games under Rodgers, this season we have got 19 after 7 games with Klopp...

Progress...

How do the conceded stats compare?

With an eye to Saturday we'd be sensible to consider that to be fair to Hull they've 7 pts from their 5 games, winning twice and drawing once, scored 6, let in 7.

They're far from sh1te so far this season, there's a galvanised element about them. Take away the spanking Arsenal gave them on Day 1 and they've been solid.

I do hope we put a few past them and get the 3 pts but if we didn't break them down and had a bad day (plenty woodwork, no luck etc etc) and just got a point it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world imo.
    emmetkenny wrote: »

If we keep scoring at the rate we are it's not crucial that we tighten up at the back this season. Longterm to do well in Europe and be perennial Top4 candidates and regular enough title challengers we'd need to be stingy at the back but for the moment we can manage away nicely just scoring plenty and being solidish at the back. Attack best form of defense :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

emmetkenny wrote: »

Conceded 8 compared to this season's 6

Conceded 8 compared to this season's 6

We've conceded 8 this year in the PL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

chuffed with that performance last night. Onwards and upwards. Hoping we get Northampton in the next round ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Augeo wrote: »
    We've conceded 8 this year in the PL.

Read the Burnley result as us winning 2-0 without thinking :o

Still, three times the goals scored with the same conceded isn't bad.

I'd like to get Newcastle at home next round, would be a great atmosphere with a Rafa return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah. Think I said it in the summer, but I feel like Klopp has built our attack through Firmino, more so than any player including Coutinho, since he joined.

He's our main focal point, and when he's on song, everything else going forward starts to click.

The positivity is strong in this one.

A little too strong

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Can looks in dire need of game time to get back up to scratch

I couldn't believe some of the passes he played when he came on. We may as well have had ****ing Rooney out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Klopp has us spoiled, another couple of cracking goals last night. Coutinho and Firmino one 2 was lovely stuff altogether. Lets blow Hull away now Saturday.

I'd like to get Newcastle at home next round, would be a great atmosphere with a Rafa return.

We've already had that in recent months! I think both Rafa's returns as manager since he left us were 2-2 draws.

5starpool wrote: »
    We've already had that in recent months! I think both Rafa's returns as manager since he left us were 2-2 draws.

But the atmosphere would be different. Newcastle evening game at Anfield under the floodlights always feels better like the two classics in the 90's and Alonso's goal as posted yesterday.

Newcastle fans are buzzing as well at the minute so it would be cracking atmosphere.

• Advertisement

Grujic looked really off the pace last night. Not going to worry yet but would be giving him a few u-23 games as well as the next league cup game before thinking of using him in the league. Hopefully he'll get up to speed quickly in terms of game pace and strength because if he does I think we'll have a serious player on our hands

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

8-10 wrote: »
    Grujic looked really off the pace last night. Not going to worry yet but would be giving him a few u-23 games as well as the next league cup game before thinking of using him in the league. Hopefully he'll get up to speed quickly in terms of game pace and strength because if he does I think we'll have a serious player on our hands

You could see that there are flashes of quality in what he was doing on the ball. But very rusty. Can and Ings also suffering from rust as well, their touch a bit off, overhitting and underhitting balls....but I expect that will be shaken off with a few more games.

I think Klopp will keep a very familiar team this year and will swap out 1 or 2 players every game so that everyone is getting a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Thought he was fine myself,cool and composed,great passing..didn't set the game alight but was quite solid

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You could see that there are flashes of quality in what he was doing on the ball. But very rusty. Can and Ings also suffering from rust as well, their touch a bit off, overhitting and underhitting balls....but I expect that will be shaken off with a few more games.

I think Klopp will keep a very familiar team this year and will swap out 1 or 2 players every game so that everyone is getting a chance.

My 2 main questions now are:

Who drops out for Can once he's fully fit?
    Is Karius now in as number 1?

With the team performing so well recently there's an argument not to change anything. But I can't see the German lads not getting into the first team. I presume it'll be Wijnaldum losing his spot but then he's getting a proper understanding with Hendo. Will be interesting to see the lineup for the United game in a few weeks. I suspect the 2 lads will be in by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Possibly noone if the others are performing at a high enough level. But most likely Wijnaldum with Henderson taking his spot and Can as playmaker.

Wijnaldum would be the most likely candidate if anyone, but I reckon aside from injuries, it will be mostly somewhat between Henderson, Lallana, Wijnaldum and Can, so 3 from those 4 with Lucas and Grujic the main backup to those in the midfield area in case of injurues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My 2 main questions now are:

Is Karius now in as number 1?

With the team performing so well recently there's an argument not to change anything. But I can't see the German lads not getting into the first team. I presume it'll be Wijnaldum losing his spot but then he's getting a proper understanding with Hendo. Will be interesting to see the lineup for the United game in a few weeks. I suspect the 2 lads will be in by then

I'd say that 1 week Gigi will be given a rest, Can slots in, the next week Henderson, Can slots in etc....or Can drops in as a 60 minute sub for any of them. I guess what I'm saying is that we have options, and it all depends on the opposition of course. Lucas and Gru will hasve to be thrown in the mix as well.

Indeed, we'll probably see a 60/70 minute sub at midfield and attack in most games keeping the 3rd substitution until very late on to allow contingency for injuries.

I'd like to Sahko included in the group who will start to get a game. I'm not a fan of subbing a centre half during a game, or breaking up a good partnership which I think Matip and Lovren will be. But my heart still want Sahko to get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Liked how Klopp said in the interview after Arsenal game how even Henderson didn't think he could play the holding midfield role (or the number 6 as he called it) before the season, but he's working on it everyday and Klopp thinks he'll only grow into it.

I definitely think we'll have our hiccups along the way. There'll be games where we're giving out about Henderson as a DM, or Milner as the LB, or only having one winger in Mane, etc, but there's no doubt that we're heading in the right direction.

Its enjoyable time, despite the occasional frustrations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Agreed 100%. He'll rotate one or two MF's and FW's every game which will keep things fresh and reduce the impact an injury to 2-3 players will have. The fact the team shape and quality of play shouldn't be negatively impacted by rotating the "first" 16 players or so is a testament to how well Klopp has shaped the squad in just two windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

What i liked most about last night was how seamless the other players slotted into the team, like it didn't feel like a weakened team to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Vicxas wrote: »
    What i liked most about last night was how seamless the other players slotted into the team, like it didn't feel like a weakened team to watch.

Yes, as it should be. We train the same way, we set up the same way, we dictate how we approach the match regardless of the opponents...

I'd like to Sahko included in the group who will start to get a game. I'm not a fan of subbing a centre half during a game, or breaking up a good partnership which I think Matip and Lovren will be. But my heart still want Sahko to get a chance.

It could be said that he had a chance (same as the rest of the squad) over the last 11 months or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

10 minutes of Spurs 2 - Liverpool 6 U23s

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4u1ly0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Woodburn, Brannagan, AA and Wilson excellent again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

But the atmosphere would be different. Newcastle evening game at Anfield under the floodlights always feels better like the two classics in the 90's and Alonso's goal as posted yesterday.

Newcastle fans are buzzing as well at the minute so it would be cracking atmosphere.

Lets leave that for a semi or final! Would prefer much simpler games for early rounds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We need to make sure we keep hold of that Woodburn fella, some talent!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Lets leave that for a semi or final! Would prefer much simpler games for early rounds!

Yeah actually the semi-finals over two legs would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Trent A A looks some player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Talisman wrote: »

(Pedantic point)
    I don't go along with this definition of Firmino as a "support" player. Just because his starting position is not on the shoulder of a centre half, doesn't mean he is a "support" player. He is not a winger or an attacking midfielder, and is the best finisher other than Sturridge at the club, so I'm calling him a striker anways.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement