Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Been reading on reddit r/soccer and redcafe, there is general if not universal approval to be honest. No one likes the S*n really.
    They really are the bottom of the barrel.

https://twitter.com/footbalIfights/status/762593269339521024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

K-9 wrote: »
    13/14 was a bit of an outlier though, last season the other way.

72/73 points should be getting 4th unless the top 3 or 4 run away with it again.
    2012/13 and 2013/14 were the two most competitive seasons in recent years.

Chelsea don't have the distraction of European football.

Mourinho had Chelsea competing for the title in his first season of both his terms at Chelsea (2004/5: 95 Points, 2013/13: 82 Points). I don't expect it to be any different at Man Utd.

Man City will also be there competing at the end of the season.

Tottenham and Leicester are unknowns as they both have the Champions League which may impact their league form up to Christmas.

For me we're potentially looking at what has become the traditional top 4 of recent seasons: Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal. If Liverpool want to get in there we'll have to finish ahead of Arsenal.

Arsenal have scored 73 points or more in three of the last four seasons. 75 points is their second best total which makes it a good target to aim for. If we achieve the 75 points target then Arsenal will have to be close to their best season in recent years to finish ahead of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This list will probably change a bit but I've left out those senior players who are not part of Klopp's plans for 2016/17 (*with a couple of exceptions who could yet stay) under-age players who featured on tour and those who are off on loan even if they are still at the club as I type.

L. Karius 23 years old
    S. Mignolet 28 years old
    A. Manninger 39 years old

J. Gomez 19 years old
    A. Moreno 24 years old
    J. Matip 25 years old
    N. Clyne 25 years old
    M. Sakho 26 years old
    D. Lovren 27 years old
    R. Klavan 30 years old

M. Grujić 20 years old
    E. Can 22 years old
    K. Stewart 22 years old
    G. Wijnaldum 25 years old
    J. Henderson 26 years old
    Lucas Leiva 29 years old*
    J. Milner 30 years old

L. Marković 22 years old*
    Philippe Coutinho 24 years old
    Roberto Firmino 24 years old
    S. Mané 24 years old
    A. Lallana 28 years old

D. Origi 21 years old
    D. Ings 24 years old
    D. Sturridge 26 years old

I'd say that was actually quite an attractive age profile for the squad - three goalies all with miles on the clock, the centre backs are experienced, only Moreno screams trouble. The midfield has a good blend of youth and experience, the AMs/wide men are just right with one young, three coming into their peak and one older while the strikers again look right - two younger energetic tyros and a experienced centre forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Benteke didn't even make it into the not wanted list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Two and a half out and out strikers we really could do with one more just to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Honestly, despite all those centre midfielders, Lucas is still the 3rd most important imo. Only behind Can and Henderson for me.

I just don't have that much faith in the others being able to take control of the defensive side of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Two and a half out and out strikers we really could do with one more just to be safe.

Or just keep Big Benny.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Honestly, despite all those centre midfielders, Lucas is still the 3rd most important imo. Only behind Can and Henderson for me.

I just don't have that much faith in the others being able to take control of the defensive side of the game.

I think he's done tbh, imo Klopp wants 2 holding mids who are quick and cover alot of ground, Lucas doesn't fit.

I think he's done tbh, imo Klopp wants 2 holding mids who are quick and cover alot of ground, Lucas doesn't fit.

I agree with that, but alas noone else does either. The covering ground part is covered, but not the 'holding mid' part. Running around is all well and good, but if its not your natural game, more often than not you're just wasting energy.

I'd rather a better option, but as our options stand, i'd rather someone who can run less and achieve more, rather than the inverse.

• Advertisement

So how does everyone see us lining up against Arsenal?

I think it will be something like this.

Mignolet

Clyne
    Lovren
    Matip
    Moreno

Can
    Wijnaldum

Mane
    Firmino
    Coutinho

Origi

Ragner if Matip isn't fit and Henderson instead of Origi if he goes with a 433.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Mignolet

Clyne
    Lovren
    Matip
    Moreno

Can
    Wijnaldum

Mane
    Firmino
    Coutinho

Origi

Not a hope Matip starts. Klaven and Lovren have played together for a good few games now. Can't see Klopp changing the partnership for someone coming back from an injury who hadn't played much in pre season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then Arsenal away first up

I think we'll see a bit of extra insurance in midfield - Lallana effectively played as the one in a 2-1 against Barcelona and that proved effective providing a second high line of pressing behind Coutinho, Firmino and Mane

Mignolet
    Clyne--Lovren(?)--Klavan---Moreno
    Can--Hendo
    Lallana
    --Mane----Firmino---Coutinho

Subs - Man, Randall, Matip/Lovren, Stewart/Grujic, Wij, Origi, Ings

Assuming Milner and Sturridge will not make it.

I think Klopp will go with Firmino to start, a four pronged busy bee approach to keep what looks like a somewhat makeshift Arsenal back line very employed early doors. Bring on Origi at say 60 to stretch them as they go looking for the winner or equaliser (!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

________Mingzi___________

Nat C__Loveless_Raggy_Moron

______Canny__Hen Do______

Sadi_________________Cunti
    _________Firmy____________

____________Or Gi_______

Kill em that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think we'll see:

Mignolet

Clyne - Lovren - Klavan - Moreno

Can - Wijnaldum

Mané - Lallana - Coutinho

Firmino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

We'd be rich with points
    If he had good joints

true...

• Advertisement

So then Arsenal away first up

I think we'll see a bit of extra insurance in midfield - Lallana effectively played as the one in a 2-1 against Barcelona and that proved effective providing a second high line of pressing behind Coutinho, Firmino and Mane

Mignolet
    Clyne--Lovren(?)--Klavan---Moreno
    Can--Hendo
    Lallana
    --Mane----Firmino---Coutinho

Subs - Man, Randall, Matip/Lovren, Stewart/Grujic, Wij, Origi, Ings

Assuming Milner and Sturridge will not make it.

I think Klopp will go with Firmino to start, a four pronged busy bee approach to keep what looks like a somewhat makeshift Arsenal back line very employed early doors. Bring on Origi at say 60 to stretch them as they go looking for the winner or equaliser (!).

IMO i think we are going to cruise it against Arsenal - 0-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

mada999 wrote: »
    IMO i think we are going to cruise it against Arsenal - 0-2

Ah stop, we all know what happens now.

It's a tough start
    A draw would suit both
    I would hate to see us lose ground
    Need to avoid defeat in first 10 games

I agree with that, but alas noone else does either. The covering ground part is covered, but not the 'holding mid' part. Running around is all well and good, but if its not your natural game, more often than not you're just wasting energy.

I'd rather a better option, but as our options stand, i'd rather someone who can run less and achieve more, rather than the inverse.

Ideally I would like them to run more and achieve more, look at Kante last season.

Lucas in the middle of a midfield 3 makes sense to me, but in a midfield 2 I'd say his mobility would seriously undermine our game, Imo he's the least equipped to work in klopps system.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

8-10 wrote: »
    I think we'll see:

Mignolet

Can - Wijnaldum

Firmino

I think that'll be the lineup too.

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    Ah stop, we all know what happens now.

Just my opinion, playing them and a few others away will suit us tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Whats Karius injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

I think we'll see:

Mignolet

Can - Wijnaldum

Firmino

I also think that's our starting line up Sunday.
    Origi coming on in the second half for Coutinho if he's not in the game.

Ideally I would like them to run more and achieve more, look at Kante last season.

Lucas in the middle of a midfield 3 makes sense to me, but in a midfield 2 I'd say his mobility would seriously undermine our game, Imo he's the least equipped to work in klopps system.

Yeah exactly - that imo should have been a higher priority than someone like Wijnaldum. I don't have a problem with signing Wijnaldum, but if it's at the cost of a more fitting midfield piece, then I'm not sure its the right move.

We've seen how easily we can be cut through due to people being caught out of position and not quite sharp enough to spot the danger - Kante would have been perfect. I'd have been happy if we'd spent 50m on him to be honest. Astonished he went for so little.

But there are tonnes of guys out there below his level, but miles above our current guys levels that could have fit. Just can't help thinking our midfield ranks are already a little bloated with guys that are either inexperienced, or better in other positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

5starpool wrote: »
    I think that'll be the lineup too.

It's just the Barca lineup with the enforced change of Moreno for Milner

Lallana was excellent in the middle

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    I also think that's our starting line up Sunday.
    Origi coming on in the second half for Coutinho if he's not in the game.

Yup, I don't think Origi or Ings could be played instead of Firmino from the off, despite not being an out and out striker Firmino is ahead of them on ability and he's definitely a better finisher than Origi.

Yeah exactly - that imo should have been a higher priority than someone like Wijnaldum. I don't have a problem with signing Wijnaldum, but if it's at the cost of a more fitting midfield piece, then I'm not sure its the right move.

We've seen how easily we can be cut through due to people being caught out of position and not quite sharp enough to spot the danger - Kante would have been perfect. I'd have been happy if we'd spent 50m on him to be honest. Astonished he went for so little.

But there are tonnes of guys out there below his level, but miles above our current guys levels that could have fit. Just can't help thinking our midfield ranks are already a little bloated with guys that are either inexperienced, or better in other positions.

Ya I'd agree that may be would have been better to buy someone in the Kante mould.

But I would have Can, Hendo, Miner and Wiji ahead of Lucas in a MF 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mignolet

Clyne
    Lovren
    Matip
    Moreno

Can
    Wijnaldum

Mane
    Firmino
    Coutinho

Origi

Think Hendo will start alongside Can. Not sure if it'll be Matip or Klavan yet. Depends how match fit they think Matip is I guess.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I reckon Kevin Stewart will get a decent amount of game time this season.

• Advertisement

Think Hendo will start alongside Can. Not sure if it'll be Matip or Klavan yet. Depends how match fit they think Matip is I guess.

Is there not a ? Over Lovrens fitness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Talisman wrote: »
    2012/13 and 2013/14 were the two most competitive seasons in recent years.

Chelsea don't have the distraction of European football.

Mourinho had Chelsea competing for the title in his first season of both his terms at Chelsea (2004/5: 95 Points, 2013/13: 82 Points). I don't expect it to be any different at Man Utd.

Man City will also be there competing at the end of the season.

Tottenham and Leicester are unknowns as they both have the Champions League which may impact their league form up to Christmas.

For me we're potentially looking at what has become the traditional top 4 of recent seasons: Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal. If Liverpool want to get in there we'll have to finish ahead of Arsenal.

Arsenal have scored 73 points or more in three of the last four seasons. 75 points is their second best total which makes it a good target to aim for. If we achieve the 75 points target then Arsenal will have to be close to their best season in recent years to finish ahead of us.

Tbh 13/14 wasn't competitive, the top 4 were miles ahead of the rest. Last season was extra competitive, points got dropped everywhere by everybody.

You're right about Spurs and Leicester imo but as you say Chelsea have no Europe and Jose mightened be too bothered about the Europa.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Just a quick note that ive opened up the LFC thread fantasy league again this year. A lot of ye will be auto entered from previous seasons but for any new players who fancy playing and got the league space the code is 18389-49095.

Edit. Sorry folks, i gave the wrong code, that one is the original from 2013. The correct one is 89658-32085

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

5starpool wrote: »
    I reckon Kevin Stewart will get a decent amount of game time this season.

His awareness off the ball is exceptional. Countless times on Saturday he read the game and was moving into great positions to counter the Barca attack. Was massively impressed with him.

Klavan I think is great. No nonsense, boots it when he has to, and puts his body where it needs to be. As a 4th choice CB, you can't ask for better.

Saw some say Wijnaldum didn't look great, but from the stands he actually was solid enough. He did fade a bit in the 2nd half alright. He's definitely a clever player, and I can see him being great in quick link up play, especially if Lallana is to play a similar role throughout the season.

Lallana, by the way, was outstanding. He really has kicked it up a notch since Klopp came in. He's brimming with confidence. He also possible had some of the worst shots I've ever seen in the pre game warm up. No real surprise, however.

Origi is going to be a monster if he continues on this track. Clyne and Mane have a great connection and I can see them really pushing on throughout the season and being a great tandem.

Moreno, his first input was to turn on the ball, and then sprint across the pitch and lose it in our own half. I had my head in my hands throughout, I don't really know what else to say. Its a damn pity, as you see other areas of his game where he could be great. Bags of energy and pace, works his socks off, just has some mind numbingly dumb moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

daithijjj wrote: »
    Just a quick note that ive opened up the LFC thread fantasy league again this year. A lot of ye will be auto entered from previous seasons but for any new players who fancy playing and got the league space the code is 18389-49095.

Anybody else look through all the names thinking "I wonder who that is"?

Anybody else look through all the names thinking "I wonder who that is"?

No but I am going to now. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I think we'll see:

Mignolet

Can - Wijnaldum

Firmino

Thats a pretty exciting team. Think it probably is the most likely also with Origi coming in around 60'.

Difficulty is in leaving Henderson out, being captain.

I think Klopp is looking to get the ball back quickly (hunt in packs) in midfield and then counter straight away with the ball moving forward not backwards, ideally what happened a couple of times against Barca.

For me Lucas would screw that up and pass it back to the keeper and the momentum would be gone...we have enough of that in Coutinho who is hesitant sometimes

Ya I'd agree that may be would have been better to buy someone in the Kante mould.

But I would have Can, Hendo, Miner and Wiji ahead of Lucas in a MF 2.

I think Klopp doesn't want someone in the Kante mould :)
    He's happy without a dedicated DM enforcer type and he also seems happy with Moreno at left back, all points to attack being the best form of defence :)

• Advertisement

Mané I feel is going to be a monster for us... the winger we have been missing for an age

Our last nine games are against teams you would expect to be
    midtable or in bottom half. Tough start but Arsenal have some injuries and will be off our pace. I think our preseason has giving us an edge. We are ready.

mada999 wrote: »
    Mané I feel is going to be a monster for us... the winger we have been missing for an age

The man has a brain. He's going to be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The man has a brain. He's going to be epic.

It's funny how what we look for in a new signing has regressed over the years.

World class player
    To
    Potential to be a world class player
    To
    Really good footballer
    To
    Good footballer with potential
    To
    Squad player, fill a hole in the team
    To
    Just having a brain

Thanks for that, Moreno, Skrtel and Ibe.

martyos121 wrote: »
    It's funny how what we look for in a new signing has regressed over the years.

World class player
    To
    Potential to be a world class player
    To
    Really good footballer
    To
    Good footballer with potential
    To
    Squad player, fill a hole in the team
    To
    Just having a brain

Thanks for that, Moreno, Skrtel and Ibe.

I wonder how some of the signings we've made ever made it on to the pitch. I can looking to a players eyes , talk to him for few minutes and tell if he's a player or not.
    A winner has a brain and an attitude to win and to be something other than a robot on pitch. Too many player go on to pitch and can't think for themselves in moments where it's down to the player not the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I can looking to a players eyes , talk to him for few minutes and tell if he's a player or not.

Any examples of players you've discovered by looking into their eyes and talking to them. Fantastic talent to have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

No but I am going to now. :P

Where this?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Where this?

LFC Superthread Boards league on the official PL FF site.

daithijjj sets up every year...18389-49095 is the code to join it.

If you click on the league you can see everyone's real name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Only if they entered their real name in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I love fantasy football for the first few weeks, and then i get proper bored of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Vicxas wrote: »
    I love fantasy football for the first few weeks, and then i get proper bored of it.

Exact same as you, I try hard for the first month and then just completely lose interest. It's great for neutrals but when you support a club and have your rival's striker in the team, it's a serious conflict of interests.

I'm in for this anyway, spot the guy with the fake name. ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement