Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

amber69 wrote: »
    Trent A A looks some player

He is a CM naturally, but playing RB is working on his engine and both defensive and offensive skills. Plus we have loads of CMs at U23 (Bran, Williams, Phillips, Ejaria, Brimmer).

And Woodburn looks 3/4 years further ahead of where he is - again he's being played as a winger to work on his all-round game, his finishing is not at question...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Woodburn is insanely good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Woodburn is insanely good.

That wasn't even his best showing. But great that he is involved in so much of the play...

garra wrote: »
    ........... so I'm calling him a striker anways.

He was always regarded as a striker of sorts, no doubt.

If he's going to be our "main man" up front longterm, I'd be a tad concerned though. I can't see him being a 1 in 2 striker, he'll always (imo and would be delighted to be proved wrong) be much closer to being a 1 in 3 striker and all the top teams always have at least one 1 in 2 striker.

100% fine for this season of course where top4 finish would be top class great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Augeo wrote: »
    He was always regarded as a striker of sorts, no doubt.

If he's going to be our "main man" up front longterm, I'd be a tad concerned though. I can't see him being a 1 in 2 striker, he'll always (imo and would be delighted to be proved wrong) be much closer to being a 1 in 3 striker and all the top teams always have at least one 1 in 2 striker.

100% fine for this season of course where top4 finish would be top class great.

Do we use a "main man" though? I think it's a front three that are fluid with support from midfield.

Look at City similar to us, Sterling 3 goals, Aguero 3 goals, Iheanco 2 goals, De Bruyne 2 goals, Nolito 2 goals, Gudongen 1 goal and Fernadinho 1 goal. They also have 7 different goal scorers.

Arsenal have Sanchez 3 goals, Walcott 2 goals, Cazorla 2 goal, Ozil 1 goal, Koscielny 1 goal, Xhaka 1 goal, Chamberlain 1 goal and Chambers 1 goal. That's 8 different goal scorers.

Spurs have the same amount of goals as United but have Heung min on 2, Kane on 2, Walker on 1, Dele Alli on 1, Lamela 1 and Wanyama 1. That's six different goal scorers.

Chelsea have 10 goals with Costa on 5, Hazard on 2, Batshuayi on 1, Willian on 1, Moses on 1.

Like taking Ibrahimovic out of United, if Costa was taken out of this Chelsea team they would have had a serious struggle to the start of this season.
    One player for both teams has scored half their league goals.

I think the top teams now play the way we are currently playing and not relying on a 1 in 2 striker anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

5starpool wrote: »
    Has to be a front 3 of Coutinho, Firmino, Mane on Saturday. Lallana, Wijnaldum, Henderson in behind them. Unless there is an injury of course.

Tbh Sturridge could come in for one of those quite seamlessly, which is great. Then we've Origi and Ings, Milner and Lalana if stuck. Origi needs a run of games which is when we miss Europa games but hopefully the goal last night can help him out as he looked a bit lost at times so far.

Henderson looks fit which is a big help. Considering we haven't missed Can too much barring the Burnley match, that's a compliment on how the midfield have done so far. Lalana seems to be thriving in his new role as well.

LB we'll see but lack of back up for Clyne could be a problem. We're expecting a 50 game season from him after 60 or so last year.

Hell, nobody is clamoring for Mig to be dropped so it's all good!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Being a home game on Saturday I wouldn't be surprised to see Klopp put out the same starting line up that we did against Leicester.

Mignolet in for Karius
    Clyne
    Matip
    Lovren in for Klavan
    Milner in for Moreno
    Henderson
    Wijnaldum in for Lucas/Can (Can not up to full match fitness yet)
    Lallana in for Grujic
    Firmino
    Sturridge in for Origi
    Mane in for Coutinho (Played 82 mins against Chelsea and over an hour last night).

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Being a home game on Saturday I wouldn't be surprised to see Klopp put out the same starting line up that we did against Leicester.

Mignolet in for Karius
    Clyne
    Matip
    Lovren in for Klavan
    Milner in for Moreno
    Henderson
    Lallana in for Grujic
    Firmino
    Sturridge in for Origi
    Mane in for Coutinho (Played 82 mins against Chelsea and over an hour last night).

Wouldn't surprise me, but I think Coutinho would start over Sturridge on Saturday if all are fit. Options we're all happy with though are brilliant.

Do we use a "main man" though? I think it's a front three that are fluid with support from midfield.

Look at City similar to us, Sterling 3 goals, Aguero 3 goals, Iheanco 2 goals, De Bruyne 2 goals, Nolito 2 goals, Gudongen 1 goal and Fernadinho 1 goal. They also have 7 different goal scorers.

Arsenal have Sanchez 3 goals, Walcott 2 goals, Cazorla 2 goal, Ozil 1 goal, Koscielny 1 goal, Xhaka 1 goal, Chamberlain 1 goal and Chambers 1 goal. That's 8 different goal scorers.

Spurs have the same amount of goals as United but have Heung min on 2, Kane on 2, Walker on 1, Dele Alli on 1, Lamela 1 and Wanyama 1. That's six different goal scorers.

Chelsea have 10 goals with Costa on 5, Hazard on 2, Batshuayi on 1, Willian on 1, Moses on 1.

Like taking Ibrahimovic out of United, if Costa was taken out of this Chelsea team they would have had a serious struggle to the start of this season.

I think the top teams now play the way we are currently playing and not relying on a 1 in 2 striker anymore.

Not relying is all well and good. Aguero & Kane are PL 1 in 2 strikers though and Costa & Sanchez are very close to being it :)

I'm not just looking at the 5 games of this season so far.

• Advertisement

Not relying is all well and good. Aguero & Kane are PL 1 in 2 strikers though and Costa & Sanchez are very close to being it :)

Sturridge's stats put him as a 1 in 2 striker for us.
    But we're not reliant on him now the way we were under Rodgers final season.
    That's the difference between the way we and the other teams play versus United and Chelsea at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Goals from everyone > goals from someone.

Does it really matter who scores them as long as we're scoring plenty?

Just in goals conceded, a goal difference of +30 will get 4th minimum, does it matter much if it's conceding 30 or 50 goals? Another way of looking at it I suppose, somebody brought it up on the AI under pressure podcast.

To win a title is different I'd suspect, a dodgy defence will cost you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Mignolet in for Karius
    Clyne
    Matip
    Lovren in for Klavan
    Milner in for Moreno
    Henderson
    Lallana in for Grujic
    Firmino
    Sturridge in for Origi

Wouldn't surprise me, but I think Coutinho would start over Sturridge on Saturday if all are fit. Options we're all happy with though are brilliant.

I think it will be Sturridge though. He came off on the hour mark against Chelsea and didn't play last night.

I think we'll probably see a lot of game management of players like Sturridge, Coutinho and Can this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Mentioned it at the time but Origi's goal last night was identical to his one against Southampton

https://twitter.com/MrBoywunder/status/778607370574434304

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Goals from everyone > goals from someone.

Exactly, has Sturridge even got a 1 in 2 appearance rate at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Exactly, has Sturridge even got a 1 in 2 appearance rate at this stage?
    A 1 in 2 "appearance" rate would be hard for any player who has a history of being substituted on or off to attain.

A 1 in 2 per 90 minutes might be a fairer measure to judge him by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Whatever about being relied upon if Klopp can't/won't get a fit Sturridge involved in plenty of games than we won't be doing as well as we could do imo :)

We beat Chelsea away without Firmino.

Sturridge was really poor against Chelsea and is a prime example of a game he will probably not start......

Sturridge is a very good option, I like having him available and I rate him highly and he will probably play the majority of games but we aren't reliant on him coming up with the goods as many has said........and we aren't over reliant on Firmino either which is good to see.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Sturridge was really poor against Chelsea and is a prime example of a game he will probably not start................

I never mentioned Sturridge v Chelsea, I simply mentioned we beat them without our alleged "main man" as Firmino is now being deemed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Vicxas wrote: »
    What i liked most about last night was how seamless the other players slotted into the team, like it didn't feel like a weakened team to watch.

Not sure where I read it now, but the junior teams are all now aligned to playing the Klopp way too.. Will hopefully make for seamless transition to first team for the talented younger lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Balo just scored a well taken goal for Nice, hope he keeps it up and they sell him !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Balo just scored a well taken goal for Nice, hope he keeps it up and they sell him !!

They seem to be good at taking unwanted players with unrealised potential and bringing out the best in them. Worked with Ben Arfa and it's already starting to look like they could do it with Mario.

Least we'll get a few quid out of it when he joins PSG next summer, if he signs a permanent contract and heads off immediately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

And he gets a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Fair play to him. I hope for Nice's sake he doesn't get bored in a couple of weeks.

It's Jonjo Shelvey all over again.

He had his chance at Liverpool, it didn't work out. You wouldn't begrudge him scoring goals tbf :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

K-9 wrote: »
    Does it really matter who scores them as long as we're scoring plenty?

Just in goals conceded, a goal difference of +30 will get 4th minimum, does it matter much if it's conceding 30 or 50 goals? Another way of looking at it I suppose, somebody brought it up on the AI under pressure podcast.

To win a title is different I'd suspect, a dodgy defence will cost you.
    It's an old adage but worth repeating.

Goals win games, defenses win leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

It's an old adage but worth repeating.

Goals win games, defenses win leagues.

And its an old adage thats been proven wrong time and time again. The top goalscorers almost always win the league. The same is not true for the top defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I think you'll find that Aguero is much closer to a 1 in 1 striker than a 1 in 2 striker. :o

mormank wrote: »
    I think you'll find that Aguero is much closer to a 1 in 1 striker than a 1 in 2 striker. :o

Just about :)

PL 105 in 153
    England inc cups, 145 in 213

Career total 269 in 503.

That was my point anyway, all big times have a 1 in 2 striker (or better as you pt out) :)

Just about :)

PL 105 in 153
    England inc cups, 145 in 213

Career total 269 in 503.

That was my point anyway, all big times have a 1 in 2 striker (or better as you pt out) :)

Career total is always a poor barometer to use to measure his current strike rate as it includes every season from probably the age of 16. Look at that beautiful record of 145 in 213 while in England, a much better measure of his current abilities. ;)
    All the big teams have a big striker of course as you say, however I just feel that they usually cope without him alot better than we have the past couple of seasons without our "Main man". Personally I would love to have fully fit and firing Sturridge in the side but if he can continue playing c.60-70 mins every 2 out of 3 games or so that will do just fine from him considering his recent injury record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Not sure if this training in a car park is going to work out.

....... Look at that beautiful record of 145 in 213 while in England, a much better measure of his current abilities. ;)........

That's a goal every 1.47 games :)
    Not quite MUCH closer to 1 in 1 than 1 in 2 :)

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    And its an old adage thats been proven wrong time and time again. The top goalscorers almost always win the league. The same is not true for the top defense.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the best defence, just not as many as ours currently is conceding. We nearly got away with it in 13/14 but that was an exceptional season attacking wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Grayditch wrote: »
    Fair play to him. I hope for Nice's sake he doesn't get bored in a couple of weeks.

A few weeks and it'll be Halloween. #fireworks

ebbsy wrote: »
    Not sure if this training in a car park is going to work out.

It does make it easier to practice parking the bus.

That's a goal every 1.47 games :)
    Not quite MUCH closer to 1 in 1 than 1 in 2 :)

I'll give you that. it's not MUCH closer. He is almost at a goal every 90mins in the league the past two seasons as FF clouded my judgement a little but of course if you're talking appearances, which we were tbf, he is at 1 in 1.5 basically so I guess we were both equally right. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

At home against Spurs in the next round of the league cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Home to Spurs next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

NukaCola wrote: »
    Sturridge was really poor against Chelsea and is a prime example of a game he will probably not start......

Sturridge is a very good option, I like having him available and I rate him highly and he will probably play the majority of games but we aren't reliant on him coming up with the goods as many has said........and we aren't over reliant on Firmino either which is good to see.

I thought sturridge played well in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Cs6CVSwUEAATRib.jpg

At least we're at home. Very tough tie though. I bet there will be minimal changes for that game from both teams, although given Spurs have Europe (for now anyhow) that might not be as true for them as for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reckon we will play our strongest 11 while spurs may rest a few due to european commitments. Anyway should be a great game either way under the anfield lights

This game will be on telly and on the Tuesday I'd say. Both Tottenham and ourselves play on the Saturday, and Utd will be playing on the Sunday due to Europa league, so their game vs City will be live on the Wednesday.

West Ham vs Chelsea will be on Weds as well since Chelsea play Utd on the Sunday at 4pm, so almost no chance we are not on Sky I reckon, which is good.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Cs6CVSwUEAATRib.jpg

Lovely, that means Utd have a run of us away, then Chelsea in the league followed by City in the cup a few days later. Mourinho could be in serious trouble if he loses those 3. :P
    I know it's a bit off topic but I did include our game against them, I'm sorry I just can't stand Mourinho and will enjoy watching him fail with that club especially! :D

Lovely, that means Utd have a run of us away, then Chelsea in the league followed by City in the cup a few days later. Mourinho could be in serious trouble if he loses those 3. :P
    I know it's a bit off topic but I did include our game against them, I'm sorry I just can't stand Mourinho and will enjoy watching him fail with that club especially! :D

They have a EL match in between us and Chelsea as well.

• Advertisement

........... I just can't stand Mourinho and will enjoy watching him fail with that club especially! :D

Long and slow failure is better for the spectators, there's no rush :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rather Spurs at home than most of the other options away. We have good record with Spurs.It's a beautiful draw as four premier league teams will be out next round. We get through Spurs and it's on, again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I thought sturridge played well in the first half.

Cant agree there, thought he was poor and out of the game a lot....

They have a EL match in between us and Chelsea as well.
    Long and slow failure is better for the spectators, there's no rush :)

Ok grand let them win the EL game and the Cup game against City with their fans claiming the Cup game was bigger than the league game, giving Mourinho some hope. :)

Mane wasn't great either but both did okay I think.

Clyne was very good against Chelsea, don't know if he was mentioned, but he was criticised before that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement