Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

5starpool wrote: »
    Who would you leave out for Sturridge? None of Mane, Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana deserve to be benched. Sturridge has often been very good when he has played, but those 4 deserve to start when fit as our most forward 4 players, and some of the hardest working.

If Klopp starts him I'm OK with that too, but I don't think he generally deserves to on the evidence so far this season.

Yeah this is spot on.

The "agenda" comment from another poster was a bit odd imo. I don't think anyone cares who starts so long as we win.

Sturridge is a great striker, nobody can doubt that. But it's about the team and the way this team is evolving it's all about movement and work-rate rather than who's the best finisher etc.

Klopp himself would probably tell you straight out that he knows Sturridge is our best finisher and he'll get game time.
    Just not as much game time as he would get at most other clubs.
    That's down to the other options we have and how they suit our game more in certain situations.

I personally don't think Sturridge will be with us next season. That's not meant as an insult, nor an agenda, more just an observation from watching how Klopp goes about things.
    I think Sturridge is a phenomenal player by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Roman Empire is coming to an end I think.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't think Coutinho is secure in his position based on his performances this season.

And it's not just a question of who's on form. Sturridge has shown more form than Mignolet or Karius, but you don't drop your keeper for him because you need someone in that position, as you sometimes need a CF.

I agree Coutinho is probably the most 'rotatable' of them, but we'll be seeing less of that at this stage of the season with no European football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Plenty of time for Arsenal to do an Arsenal though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Watching that. Making it so easy for Arsenal. Loving Macca's commentary - saying like it is.

NukaCola wrote: »

In this game yes.

But I'm talking about being a guaranteed top 4 team.

His money doesn't count and make the difference anymore with the new tv money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

In this game yes.

But I'm talking about being a guaranteed top 4 team.

His money doesn't count and make the difference anymore with the new tv money.

Having a squad of about 100 players probably has something to do with it as well.

I'd imagine they've signed the most players of any team around and have the biggest squad.

You can only play 11 so that's not doing them much good and as is his want, Mourinho left the side in a bit of a state - their defence is fairly ancient in particular.
    If they can actually leverage their squad and not have more situations like losing DeBruyne they won't be missing for long.

And I wouldn't write them off based on losing to Liverpool and Arsenal either, as terrible as they've looked.

I agree Coutinho is probably the most 'rotatable' of them, but we'll be seeing less of that at this stage of the season with no European football.

I don't think it's rotation. I think it's a toss up between which 4 of those 5 at the minute and there will be times when Sturridge will be seen as a strictly better option.

I don't think it's rotation. I think it's a toss up between which 4 of those 5 at the minute and there will be times when Sturridge will be seen as a strictly better option.

Either way, it is great to have options like that. When Can comes back fully fit as he is near now, the same discussions are relevant for the midfield.

I'm loving the positivity for now anyhow, long may it last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Another good game from Wijnaldum today. Himself and Lalana knitting everything together, keeping it ticking away nicely.

Arsenal having one of their good days but they're more hot/cold than most.

Aside from Man City I haven't seen anyone who looks consistently better than us.

Top 4 is completely doable for us. No reason whatsoever why we can't make champs lge for next season.

Wouldn't put it past us to win one of the cups along the way too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Another good game from Wijnaldum today. Himself and Lalana knitting everything together, keeping it ticking away nicely.

Remember that one time we lost a game and that Newcastle fan couldn't wait to come into the thread? Don't see him around these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I shall bow back out of the thread now, I hadn't posted in about 8 months, I know nobody will lose sleep over that fact but anyway.

While I'm here, so that it's not all negative yourself, Rebel, Harry, 5star, Busts are all very good contributors to the thread, keep up the good work ;)

Ciao.

DSP-CG_landingfish_79a5f2457543f03f591bd206a50658a1.jpg

Wijnaldum has probably been the most consistent player this season so far.

J Mysterio wrote: »

I rememeber a few years ago we had Meireleis as on option doing similar kinds of things in midfield.

It's not quite the same situation, but there's something to be said for lads who're just good on the ball and chip in with goals.

Allen was that, without the end product, which is why it was worth going for someone again.

He mightn't be irreplaceable, and I don't see him doing much so far that Hendo couldn't, but he's a good option to have all the same.

If he does start burying a few of those chances that he seems to be taking very unambitiously it'd be another string to our rapidly thickening bow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Klopps comments on Sahko are interesting to say the least...he doesn't suffer fools.

Don't confuse kindness with weakness.

Either way, it is great to have options like that. When Can comes back fully fit as he is near now, the same discussions are relevant for the midfield.

I'm loving the positivity for now anyhow, long may it last.

The biggest indictment of a manager is when you just don't want to watch your team any more and that's very much not the case.

Whatever about beating Hull 5-1, we did it with plenty of passion and no small amount of panache.
    Making fans and players alike just enjoy the **** out of their day out (or in front of the TV), is all part of building momentum and even if it goes tits up you'll always have the memories.

The biggest indictment of a manager is when you just don't want to watch your team any more and that's very much not the case.

Whatever about beating Hull 5-1, we did it with plenty of passion and no small amount of panache.
    Making fans and players alike just enjoy the **** out of their day out (or in front of the TV), is all part of building momentum and even if it goes tits up you'll always have the memories.

Klopp's rebuilding of the team is one thing but his most impressive rebuilding has been that of the disheartened fans having them interested and caring again and bringing that passion back to the stadium.

Plenty LOL last season when he stood alone looking at fans leaving and made a comment about feeling alone and then when he lead the players to thank the fans in a win at a meaningless game he was rewiring the fans minds just like he has done with the squad he inherited.

He is rebuilding a club from the ground up and to have it where it right now in less than a year in the job is quiet amazing really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Wijnaldum has probably been the most consistent player this season so far.

What a lovely surprise he's turned out to be, amongst plenty of other pleasant surprises. The chat about him before he signed was that he was a lightweight fancy dan who only turned it on for the cameras. Turns out he's a no-nonsense midfield metronome for us, bringing balance and quiet professionalism.

Other pleasant surprises:

- Matip on a free; I was sure he'd be at least decent, turns out to be a Rolls Royce of a CB, cooler than the love child of James Bond and James Dean. City dropped about £40mil on Mangala. Chelsea bought Luiz back for £34mil. Utd chucked out £30mil on the still raw Bailly. We got this end of a leg for nowt. Glorious.
    - Milner at LB; I thought we were mental not signing a LB this summer. Young James is looking better and better with each passing game.
    - Henderson regaining something like his form from 13/14 and 14/15 form; I had started to give up on him.
    - Mane. Nuff said.

There was me fretting like an auld wan before the season started, now I'm like a dog with two mickeys. Thanks Jurgen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can see Liverpool and City opening up a gap on 3rd place before Chris Ms .

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    Klopps comments on Sahko are interesting to say the least...he doesn't suffer fools.

Sakho will probably go down as the poster-boy of what NOT to do to further your chances with a new manager.

Took a while but there he was at last, firmly established with Lovren as the 2 first choice CB's and all was rosey.

Then a drugs fiasco, then after the drugs fiasco he turns up late twice for club events on tour, gets sent home.
    Then the day after he gets sent home he appears all over social media posing for a photo with someone in Melwood smiling and giving the thumbs up.
    Then he's "advised" by manager to take a loan move but turns down 4 offers (I think he was right to do so) so then you have to keep your head down for a few months and keep yer nose clean (no pun intended).
    But he goes and has a bit of a rant on snap-chat.

He's not the brightest.

Only good thing to come from it all is that it will serve a purpose by showing the other players that they can't act the maggot.

Loved the Samba Boys celebration after Coutinho's goal as well.

Can see Liverpool and City opening up a gap on 3rd place before Chris Ms .

I can almost guarantee that won't happen. It could, but very unlikely. City are rightly strong favs and we are playing really well, but Spurs and Arsenal are also doing well, and utd are only a point back too. Far too early to know what will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I can almost guarantee that won't happen. It could, but very unlikely. City are rightly strong favs and we are playing really well, but Spurs and Arsenal are also doing well, and utd are only a point back too. Far too early to know what will happen.

Hopefully the clubs playing in europe this week have a european hangover next weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yep, way too early to be making calls like that after 6 games, didn't stop the media experts after 3 games though.

City look good but they only played United when Mourinho was sorting out his best 11.

I'm confident we can get top 4 though, no Europa league should be a blessing in disguise.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Don't forget the close account option. The attention seekers love that one.
    Hey now, we won today, so save that sort of thing for a real special occasion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

NukaCola wrote: »

Soz about that ;)

I expected it even in the 70th minute

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Most overused word on this thread at times. Ffs! We are just pool fans on a Liverpool thread having a bit of Bantz and sometimes decent discussion. Some people need to just calm down and imagine a nice hug from Klopp.

That accepted if there are posters or posts that we find disagreeable, we should be able to call em out (within forum rules of course). People shouldn't be browbeaten or afraid to post honestly in case of offending the more sensitive types who have ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We're the featured match on game of the day on SS1 @8.30 tonight so we won't have to wait for MOTD to get a fix:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

brevity wrote: »

For all the man hugs and comedy interviews he's pretty ruthless in making decisions. Just ask Mignolet. And unfortunately I'd say Sakho is done now. You could tell how much it annoyed Klopp that he did his snapchat thing just before a match. Needed to keep his head down and shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I cannot remember the last time I watched a more fluid in sync team performance, there was not even a stand out player again. Klopp has the whole team working beautifully together. Glorious with the ball and tenacious without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Very impressed and pleasantly surprised by both Wijnaldum and Mane.

Was underwhelmed when they signed tbh...Wijnaldum seemed to be at best a talented mercenary and my main knowledge of Mane was as a very flaky and inconsistent fantasy football asset.

Both seem to be thriving under Klopp (along with Lallana).... long may it continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Delighted with the performance today. No disrespect to Hull, but they are the sort of team that we really need to be smashing up if we are to prove that we're a big team. Today, we did just that. While I haven't been a big Lallana fan in the past, without doubt, he was our best player today, and frankly has been a revelation under Klopp. Our next game is against a desperately out of confidence Swansea side. When you look at the table and now competitive things have been, it's a must-win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Klopp won't tolerate a player like Wijnaldum showing up for half a season. He pushes for results every game. He is setting a standard that players need to adhere to,and if they don't they end up like Sakho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Just watched the post match presser:

If you want to be good be good for 95 minutes. If you want to be brilliant be brilliant for 95 minutes. Today we were brilliant for 45 minutes. We were good in the second half. We can improve.

Imagine! Trashing Hull 5-1 and we can improve in Klopp's mind! Fantastic!!

His comment about the Sakho situation was ominous for Sakho. Klopp says on a match day he's in a completely wrong mood to be thinking of things like this, i.e. Sakho you fxxked up big time!!

Trying to get the fans on your side? Not with Klopp getting a whole squad playing the way we see them. Sahko is a goner in the January transfer window.

K-9 wrote: »
    I'm confident we can get top 4

You went around the block to play it down a bit and like all of us played it cautiously but then wham there it is in the last sentence!
    :)

I think most of us are on the same page. We're all cautiously optimistic, we've a good chance of top-4. A very good chance, but early days.

(doesn't count but later on I'll watch MOTD and have a rake of beers and start working out how best to celebrate when we win the title by 9 points)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Really liking our implementation of the

6097b011f332e121bc6b3bfa4b313545.jpg

Every time the studio cut away to show a clip when hull were playing at the back, normally a time to show a replay, they had to cut back because Liverpool were breaking after a successful high press.
    We were creating genuine goal scoring opportunities from Hull throw ins on the half way line.
    Firmino and Lallana were immense with their smart and effective work rate. Running around like mad March hares with an agenda not just to show effort.
    Really think it could have been a similar scoreline if Hull had kept their full compliment.
    Mightly impressive stuff.
    Really optimistic about the season now. Some really impressive performances bar Burnley.
    Go the Liverpool Country!

I'm not causticly optimistic, I'm full blown obliviously optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Really liking our implementation of the

Perky ass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Klopp's rebuilding of the team is one thing but his most impressive rebuilding has been that of the disheartened fans having them interested and caring again and bringing that passion back to the stadium.

Plenty LOL last season when he stood alone looking at fans leaving and made a comment about feeling alone and then when he lead the players to thank the fans in a win at a meaningless game he was rewiring the fans minds just like he has done with the squad he inherited.

He is rebuilding a club from the ground up and to have it where it right now in less than a year in the job is quiet amazing really.

Oct 8th is the anniversary of Klopp being announced as Liverpool manager - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11920587/Jurgen-Klopp-confirmed-as-Liverpool-manager.html

Oct 8th should be marked as one of the greatest days in LFC history!!!

Perky ass?

We all like them but I was referring to the high press.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    We all like them but I was referring to the high press.

:) I got distracted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

mav79 wrote: »
    Glorious with the ball and tenacious without it.
    This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Liverpool were fantastic today.

Apart from the goal conceded I couldnt fault the team.

I thought I heard were going to win the league being sung I hope the fans who sang that were joking.

Its only October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

mikeym wrote: »

I thought I heard were going to win the league being sung I hope the fans who sang that were joking.

Its only October.

Re-check that calendar of yours :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

mikeym wrote: »

Its only October.

September is October and Arsenal are in 3rd. The world's gone fully tits up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh yeah, last week there was discussion about how Liverpool were not stringing sequences of wins together (which I showed was not actually quite true), well this was the third PL win in a row and 4 in all comps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Oh yeah, last week there was discussion about how Liverpool were not stringing sequences of wins together (which I showed was not actually quite true), well this was the third PL win in a row and 4 in all comps.

I think it's all down to the fear and negativity of us folding to a shîte team after beating a good one. In this case though, it turns out we've beaten no good teams since the Arsenal game.

Swansea will absolutely demolish us. For reals.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Really great performance today. Good to have consistency over the last few games

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/09/24/man-utd-fans-make-glorious-return-to-facebook/ not sure if this has been posted yet, funny but so true ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement