Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just thinking when I seen the WBA game last night that Rondon looks like a player that would do very well in the current Liverpool team. Instead of Firmino imo.

They are very different strikers, Rondon being a more traditional big front man and Firminho a creative skillful type. There were times yesterday that we had no one of Rondon's ability waiting for a cross, but there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that I would ever want to swap Firminho for a lump of a player like Rondon.

Heck, we even sold a better version of Rondon this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Mata has a goal/assist in every 157 minutes of PL football, Coutinho 177

Still has a while to go before he reaches Mata's level

You're dropped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mata is 4 years older. Coutinho has not reached his prime yet while Mata cannot make the Spain squad or become a Man Utd regular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

MD1990 wrote: »
    Coutinho averaging a goal/assist every 57 mins this season. Remember when Oscar & Mata where far better players.

It's mad that.
    He hasn't even looked that good this season.

I think there's still more to come from him and that's exciting.

cjmc wrote: »
    I got a wee bit nostalgic , ( yes I know it was a poor hull team) with that pressing and energy from everyone , for a certain luis Suarez . He would be the icing on the cake of this Liverpool team

Firmino was just about the perfect replacement for him. Pity it took is a year to get him.

Not as good, of course, and he lacks the same killer quality in front of goal, but he fills most of the same niche around the rest of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mata is 4 years older. Coutinho has not reached his prime yet while Mata cannot make the Spain squad or become a Man Utd regular.

and despite these excuses Mata's stats are still better.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ye are happy with Mata, we are happy with Coutinho.

Mata and Coutinho both had very good games yesterday in good wins for their teams. I like Mata as a player, but he hasn't been utilised properly in the last few years it seems, but he still has very good stats. I wouldn't currently swap him for any of our front players though, and you probably would say likewise for any of our lads, so we're all happy (for once).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just thinking when I seen the WBA game last night that Rondon looks like a player that would do very well in the current Liverpool team. Instead of Firmino imo.

Dunno which post is worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Turtyturd wrote: »

I had a good Chuckle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I do! Rondon!? :eek:

The whole genius of what Klopp is doing is to dispense with the need for a striker never mind a "target" man style player. Liverpool have defacto four goal scorers, at any one moment one of them is the spare man that the opposition can't pick up as they are busy trying to track the other three. All four are constantly recycling their position and the ball.

Stick a centre forward like Rondon into that at the expense of any one of them and it would all break down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Klopp on MNF with carra tomorrow night

• Advertisement

Hmm, I wonder who is on MNF tomorrow night with carragher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

5starpool wrote: »
    Hmm, I wonder who is on MNF tomorrow night with carragher?

We may never know, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Its all about the stats, it really is......

Heres one for you, one of those players cost about 30M less and is on about 90K a week less than the other player......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

The goals and attacking play was excellent yesterday but this pass from Klaven was prob my favourite of the game....

https://twitter.com/LiverpoolGifs/status/779694907615248384

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I know who Mourinho would prefer in Coutinho vs Mata.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Is the answer De Bruyne? ;)

Neither probably

Coutinho isn't a starter in one of the worst Brazil teams of all time

Ye are happy with Mata, we are happy with Coutinho.

Mata and Coutinho both had very good games yesterday in good wins for their teams. I like Mata as a player, but he hasn't been utilised properly in the last few years it seems, but he still has very good stats. I wouldn't currently swap him for any of our front players though, and you probably would say likewise for any of our lads, so we're all happy (for once).

Fair assessment

For his next tr....trick he'll tell us all how upset we are at missing out on The Pie and having to settle for Firmino.

Neither probably

Coutinho isn't a starter in one of the worst Brazil teams of all time

That's why its one of the worst Brazil teams of all time.

/now run along

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

garra wrote: »
    They are very different strikers, Rondon being a more traditional big front man and Firminho a creative skillful type. There were times yesterday that we had no one of Rondon's ability waiting for a cross, but there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that I would ever want to swap Firminho for a lump of a player like Rondon.

Heck, we even sold a better version of Rondon this summer.

Rondon isn't like Benteke at all. He is much better with his feet and while he is decent in the air he wouldn't be as good as Benteke.

Rondon for me is much more like the type of striker that played for Klopp at Dortmund like Barrios, Lewandoski and Aubameyang. All big enough players but they are good with their feet and good finishers.

Just to be clear I am not saying he is as good as Lewandoski here just similar type of player. At West Brom he is being asked to be more physical as is the norm with any Pulis player but if you ever seen him play for Malaga or Zenit you'd see what I mean. Even yesterday he showed he is still good with his feet and he really does seem like a very intelligent player.

Fair assessment

I support neither team but I'd have agreed with you that Mata was the better player up until this season. Coutinho has become a consistent player this season which is something he never showed in the past. He would look awesome in one or two games and then very ordinary for four or five. I'd have Coutinho over Mata based on performances this season.

Is Rondon better than our current back up striker Sturridge?

Is Rondon better than our current back up striker Sturridge?

I just think he is the type of player that would fit better into what Liverpool are doing, that's all. I don't think Sturridge is suited to the type of game you play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Last few posts have brought back memories of the time period when many on this forum thought Michael Carrick was better than Alonso and cavani was better than Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

more Optatastic stats

24 - Liverpool's goal tally after eight competitive games this season is their highest in 121 years, since 1895-96 (34 goals)

jaysis that 1895-96 season sounds like it was a rasper. Did you make many games Harry?

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Last few posts have brought back memories of the time period when many on this forum thought Michael Carrick was better than Alonso and cavani was better than Suarez

Don't forget the time they thought Phil 'The Jigsaw' Jones was better than no signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rossie1977 wrote: »

Hahahhahahahhahahaha... That must have been before my time here :D

Don't forget the time they thought Phil 'The Jigsaw' Jones was better than no signing.

Magnificent specimen.
    giphy.gif

• Advertisement

I can't stop watching that.

I can't stop watching that.

55fc68.jpg

He's the gif that keeps on giffing.

iltcZyM.gif

U23s v Sunderland at Prenton Park FT 3-0

Grabara, Alexander-Arnold, Ilori, Whelan, Randall, Stewart, Wilson, Chirivella, Ejaria, Woodburn, Ings

Subs Firth, Brewitt, Maguire, Brannagan, Lennon

Tight first half with Liverpool dominating the possession and best chances but nothing quite got through. Danny Ings scored from a corner not cleared just into the second half then doubled the advantage with a splendid diving header from a first time cross by Chivvy.

The best was saved till last though as Trent Alexander Arnold barrelled down the right on a solo run and finish that was Gareth Bale-esque. He had another charge about 5 minutes later which was even more like the Madrid player. Woodburn and Ejaria are getting most of the hype but TAA is really developing at a rate, move him forward to right side attacker next season and he'll thrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Both have a way to go to match Firmino then.

Coutinho takes a lot of attention away from him as he's the main man.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Trent Alexander Arnold? If I heard Lord Trent Alexander Arnold I wouldn't blink an eyelid. I think you should nickname him Lord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

corwill wrote: »
    Sorry, got mixed up, early morning befuddlement, you're using an app I hadn't heard of before, thought you were talking about one I have called Forza Football.

Might take SofaScore for a test drive next weekend, looks good. Do you use it on iPhone or android?

android

gives the lineups when there announced too,handy

Trent Alexander Arnold? If I heard Lord Trent Alexander Arnold I wouldn't blink an eyelid. I think you should nickname him Lord.

His thick scouse accent would give the game away though.

Lovely goal by him today, he turns 18 soon. Hopefully he can keep progressing and stay free of injury. It'd be nice to have a few of the kids actually challenge for a first XI place in the coming years. Him and Woodburn the pick of the crop at the 16/17 year old level, but still such a long way to go for then.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

RIGHT I'M SAYING IT

We're going to win the league. ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Klopp is showing what you can achieve if you get good players working at 100% and believing in the system. From the kick off is was just pressure non stop. The players really have to believe in it. I know it's early but it's exciting.

K-9 wrote: »
    Both have a way to go to match Firmino then.

Coutinho takes a lot of attention away from him as he's the main man.

We'll see in May who has been the better player. Very early days.

• Advertisement

His thick scouse accent would give the game away though.

Lovely goal by him today, he turns 18 soon. Hopefully he can keep progressing and stay free of injury. It'd be nice to have a few of the kids actually challenge for a first XI place in the coming years. Him and Woodburn the pick of the crop at the 16/17 year old level, but still such a long way to go for then.

Well you have the right man in charge for that to happen. Gotze, Sahin, and Schmelzer all came through under him from the youth ranks at Dortmund.

john why wrote: »
    RIGHT I'M SAYING IT

We're going to win the league. ......

All we have to do is win all the rest of our games, easy peasy. In our own hands.

We'll see in May who has been the better player. Very early days.

Yeah, bring Mata up because his stats are better than Coutinho's. Bring Firmino's up, we'll see!

You are some craic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Another thing that yesterday reminded me of as well is that we will get a lot of penalties this season as well I reckon, just like we did in 13/14 because of the sheer numbers of people and one touch passing we do in the box under Klopp.

The big tests for this squad will be when injuries come into play and when the likes on Mane are away on ACON duty, which is really irritating. We hopefully have the players and squad to hope, but it would be great to get a run of non injuries like Spurs and Leicester did last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, bring Mata up because his stats are better than Coutinho's. Bring Firmino's up, we'll see!

You are some craic.

Yeah but for all his mentions of Coutinho, Phil is due about 9 goals the next day.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Yeah but for all his mentions of Coutinho, Phil is due about 9 goals the next day.

The game after next would be better.

He might score a tap in then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Another thing that yesterday reminded me of as well is that we will get a lot of penalties this season as well I reckon, just like we did in 13/14 because of the sheer numbers of people and one touch passing we do in the box under Klopp.

The big tests for this squad will be when injuries come into play and when the likes on Mane are away on ACON duty, which is really irritating. We hopefully have the players and squad to hope, but it would be great to get a run of non injuries like Spurs and Leicester did last season.

We're certainly making an effort to play the ball in the box so that should draw some fouls over the course of the season, for sure. Could be handy for Milner to crank up his goal tally! He's never gotten more than 7 in the league in a season, already on 3. Highest scoring left-back in the division I reckon ;)

Mané could be a big loss going on how we are playing. Losing any of the front 3 or 4 is something we obviously want to avoid but we do have a few options for the #10s, Mané is our only out-and-out pace merchant in that area so it'll be a bigger hit to our playing style than removing Coutinho or Fimino, I'd say.

But, as you say, we have a big squad and I'd expect Origi and Sturridge to play in the games he's missing rather than just shoe-horning someone else into his position. That said, Ojo could fill in if Klopp thinks he's capable.

I'd love to get a few games together with our entire squad to choose from. It never seems to happen, even if it is just minor injuries here and there sometimes. I'm just curious to see how Klopp balances the whole squad over 5 or 6 games when everyone is fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You lads back here already?

413ZomZycML.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

RasTa wrote: »
    You lads back here already?

413ZomZycML.jpg

We are way past that in fairness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement