Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Augeo wrote: »
    How we fixed on points?

Yea, in fairness its the most important stat......in his first 36 league games its 61 points, but I'm open to correction.......10 draws in that time is a killer.......there are many reasons and excuses you could use, but leaving all that aside improvements have been made. We need to see that reflected in the points we gain, which I'd be fairly confident we'll see this season.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    More than that though, Moores did actually have the clubs best interests at heart, it just went horribly wrong with H&G didn't meet any of the promises they made. "Shovel in the ground in 60 days" etc etc.

If Moores key objective in selling the club was to ensure the incoming owners delivered X, Y & Z projects/investments then those commitments could and should have been written into the sale and purchase agreement thus binding H&G to deliver them.

Handing the club over to two strangers for £Xm and a promise that they'd have a "shovel in the ground in 60 days" was both naive and negligent.

Moores selling to the cowboys was a disaster.

Also, a disaster for him and the club was not kicking on early 90's when money started coming in from TV.

He took over then as chairman and only now 25 years later do we have an extended stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I know Ayres gets a lot of stick but I think he did great work during the transition from Rodgers to Klopp. iirc we were only mangerless for three weeks and then ended up with one of the top managers in the world. I have no doubt Ayre was laying the groundwork for recruiting Klopp a long time before Rodgers was sacked. Ayre deserves appreciation not only for making the Klopp appointment happen but also for the business like way in which he went about it IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Delighted Ayre is going, the season just gets better and better.

If you're happy we're shot of him because of his perceived inability to persuade big names to join the club, just remember that that's no longer our thing now. That is something I criticised him for at the time, but it's sort of irrelevant now. He oversaw the Standard Charter deal, which was big for Liverpool. If it's about the ticket thing, he said he was sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Eamon Dunphy bullishly predicts that Liverpool are going to dismantle Manchester United

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/eamon-dunphy-bullishly-predicts-that-liverpool-are-going-to-dismantle-manchester-united-35081178.html

That's us fajuked then. Can't remember the last time he was right about anything. Thanks Eamo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ayre has been very important to Liverpool over the last number of years and will be a big loss I think.

Whoever takes over will have a tough job to improve on what Ayre has done for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Fair play to him on the charity work, players are generally praising of fans, I was more referring to him acting the clown.

I fear Alot of people find his personality endearing and are then willing to overlook his glaring inadequacies. As they really want him to succeed.
    Glaring inadequacies?
    There's nothing about his football game that worries me.
    In his time at the club he has shown he is a solid cb and has the tools to be a top cb.
    I understand the need for professionalism, and the recent goings on on the club tour was unfortunate and was bad timing but he has a lot of ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Augeo wrote: »
    Moores' decision was no doubt well intentioned but it did go horribly wrong, that doesn't take away from the nice Ayre being a local lad sentiment though :)

Exactly.

I'm with Bellamy on this one anyway and will wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Yeah it's another dog dangling afternoon around here

VsinVtb.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Midweek in this place without European football

giphy.gif

........... we were 45 mins away from CL, goal to the good, so close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm taking the sunny view of that failure - with CL football Klopp would be working hand to mouth time wise, without it he has moved the side forward more quickly.

Mini top 4 wannabe league table (nicked from RAWK) Not sure why Soton have been left out though.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=329867.0;attach=273972;image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'm taking the sunny view of that failure - with CL football Klopp would be working hand to mouth time wise, without it he has moved the side forward more quickly.

Yep, 100%

Indeed, there's definitely a huge silver lining.

Sadio Mane voted player of the month (well six weeks) for the Aug/Sept period by football fans on Sky Sport website.

Sadio Mane (49%)
    Kevin De Bruyne (31%),
    Etienne Capoue (8%),
    Diego Costa (6%),
    Michail Antonio (4%)
    Curtis Davies (2%).

Obviously the reds network was hard at work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Wouldn't have complained if KDB won it, in all honesty, but fair play to Mane. He's been excellent for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Sadio Mane voted player of the month (well six weeks) for the Aug/Sept period by football fans on Sky Sport website.

Sadio Mane (49%)
    Kevin De Bruyne (31%),
    Etienne Capoue (8%),
    Diego Costa (6%),
    Michail Antonio (4%)
    Curtis Davies (2%).

No arsenal player? what is going on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

mosstin wrote: »
    Moores ultimately sold to the highest bidder. .

Except he did not ,crowd who bought City bid more than H&G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Except he did not ,crowd who bought City bid more than H&G.

Mansour never wanted to buy Liverpool, you're mixing him up with DIC who made several attempts to buy the club between 2006 and 2008 (including one to buy from Hicks & Gillett which got to the point where Gillett was prepared to sell his stake)

Mansour never wanted to buy Liverpool, you're mixing him up with DIC who made several attempts to buy the club between 2006 and 2008 (including one to buy from Hicks & Gillett which got to the point where Gillett was prepared to sell his stake)

Not the Arabs who now own them but the Thai lad who bought them and sold it on to the Arabs

That said I think DIC bid more than H&G too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Sadio Mane (49%)
    Kevin De Bruyne (31%),
    Etienne Capoue (8%),
    Diego Costa (6%),
    Michail Antonio (4%)
    Curtis Davies (2%).

Great start from Mane! Some Utd supporting mates scoffed at the price and mocked the transfer because they were signing Mkh for the same price and Pogba and Zlatan etc, they're shopping in Marks while we're in deals! Early days I know but hopefully Mane keeps making a mockery of those type of comments.

I can't see his form all of a sudden deserting him, but being flaky was something labelled against him, so we'll wait and see. Fck that AFCON btw that's really pissing me off already!

loan watch

J. Flannagan Full back Burnley Unused Sub in 2-0 win over Watford

R. Kent Winger Barnsley Came on at 64 mins in 2-0 defeat at Brighton, full game in 1-1 home draw to Aston Villa.

D. Ward Goalkeeper Huddersfield full games away defeat at Reading 0-1 and home win against Rotherham Town (Danny Ward scored against him!)

R. Fulton Goalkeeper Chesterfield game away to Bury 2-1 defeat and home v Gillingham 3-3

L . Jones Centre back Swindon - full game in 2-0 win over Oldham, played only first half v Northampton Town in 1-3 defeat

S. Hart Left Back Port Vale Unused sub away to Bristol Rovers, 74 mins against Millwall in which he set up two goals with his corners (one direct, one indirect).

J. Dunn Forward Morecambe - 78 min v Crawley Town 2-3 defeat, came on at 66 mins in 2-2 away draw to Barnet

Allan Midfielder Hertha Berlin Started against Bayern Munich in 3-0 defeat was caught on ball for one of them, on bench for 3-3 draw against Frankfurt.

T. Awoniyi Stiker NEC Nijmegen
    Played 72 mins v Sparta, Came on at 72 min in cup against against ADO Den Haag, played 90 mins in 0-0 against Williem ll. After a quiet start Taiwo is getting minutes but with negligible effect in a side that are woefully goal shy.

Great start from Mane! Some Utd supporting mates scoffed at the price and mocked the transfer because they were signing Mkh for the same price and Pogba and Zlatan etc, they're shopping in Marks while we're in deals! Early days I know but hopefully Mane keeps making a mockery of those type of comments.

I can't see his form all of a sudden deserting him, but being flaky was something labelled against him, so we'll wait and see. Fck that AFCON btw that's really pissing me off already!

Mane has been great , happiest I have been with a signing in a long time , but in fairness those 3 lads Utd signed are all tasty and I was more than a little jealous when they signed for utd (except Zlatan which I think would have been terrible business for us )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Not the Arabs who now own them but the Thai lad who bought them and sold it on to the Arabs

That said I think DIC bid more than H&G too.

Thaskin Shinawatra i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sakho named in the under 23's squad for the game tonight.

This is a friendly Premier League International Cup match against Wolfsburg ll of the Regionaliga. I had no idea they were entered in this.

yo5YV8VK05c-KT2BTfswzqhO56zuTyCvih27ejuhGC8.jpg?w=768&

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Hmmmmm, 'snapchats' at 3am might not be a poor idea after all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Two big results for former managers tonight.

Obviously there was B-Rod's draw with City but Newcastle came back from 1-3 down to win 4-3 with 2 goals waayyyyy into extra time.

daithijjj wrote: »

I think he needs to get some game time to stay fit for his transfer in January.

Game ended 1-2 the Liverpool goal was by Brooks Lennon (Woodburn assist naturally)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Gbear wrote: »
    Two big results for former managers tonight.

Obviously there was B-Rod's draw with City but Newcastle came back from 1-3 down to win 4-3 with 2 goals waayyyyy into extra time.

Couldn't help think of this epic when I saw that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Augme wrote: »
    Couldn't help think of this epic when I saw that.

Newcastle and 4-3 in the same sentence doesn't remind me of Lallana at all, I think you mean Collymore...

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I think he needs to get some game time to stay fit for his transfer in January.

Game ended 1-2 the Liverpool goal was by Brooks Lennon (Woodburn assist naturally)

Ah, sure i know his time is up. Moreno's is too if everyone was honest but of course i wouldnt expect Klopp or anyone else at the club to hold a position close to that and reveal it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

daithijjj wrote: »

The fact he is on Snapchat should mean he qualifies to play for the U-14s too tbh :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

8-10 wrote: »
    Newcastle and 4-3 in the same sentence doesn't remind me of Lallana at all, I think you mean Collymore...

:)

2 years in a row we beat them 4-3 at home. The first one by far the most memorable though for the Kevin Keegan dugout near collapse onto the hoardings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/781263344221229056

With the money we have made selling players this summer & also big wages off the wage bill I am a bit surprised at this.
    FSG I guess are like any other business & just want to make money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

MD1990 wrote: »

With the money we have made selling players this summer & also big wages off the wage bill I am a bit surprised at this.

With away tickets capped at £30 then all the Anfield Road lower end should be £30

I daresay there's more to it than that simple comment, but in general, he's kind of right.

I mean, pretty much every time a stadium expansion, or new stadium is built by a club, the price of admission goes up.

So if financing a new section would mean an increased price for everyone, then regular matchgoing fans would perhaps rather it wasn't done?

Now, personally speaking, I think prices throughout the league should be going down anyway, with their income now making up a much smaller part of what the club needs to survive. TV money having increased so crazily is an opportunity to make sure your stadium is full, with a brilliant atmosphere week in week out. The club loses a little on the matchday income in the short term, but your chances of winning are slightly improved with that pressure filled atmosphere, the experience is better, and (to be more cynical) the product your selling on TV is better.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I daresay there's more to it than that simple comment, but in general, he's kind of right.

I mean, pretty much every time a stadium expansion, or new stadium is built by a club, the price of admission goes up.

So if financing a new section would mean an increased price for everyone, then regular matchgoing fans would perhaps rather it wasn't done?

Yes but Liverpool have greatly improved there sponsorship deals in the last 5 years. Also the tv money PL clubs receive is insane. Liverpool from just tv money will receive 125-150m per season.

New Balance deal Potentially worth up to 300m over 6 years
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool-announce-300m-kit-deal-with-new-balance-the-biggest-in-their-history-30967675.html

Yes but Liverpool have greatly improved there sponsorship deals in the last 5 years. Also the tv money PL clubs receive is insane. Liverpool from just tv money will receive 125-150m per season.

Totally agree, but thus far at least, that's just not the way clubs are looking at it. They're not looking at one aspect of income and using it to subsidise another aspect of income. They look at the stadium, see how much it costs to build the new section, and how long it will take for the difference earned to recoup that cost. Their reason for a new section isn't to get more people in, it's to increase income at the gates.

I would love if they were more magnanimous about the whole thing, but I guess these are the prices you pay for your club being a global brand. (Though as i said in the above post-edit, I do think there's something to be gained in them being more charitable about it)

• Advertisement

Even without the overall price increases for the new main stand, it'll pay for itself in 5 years. I can't believe that comment is true given that it would have amounted to only 2m a year difference. Pretty crappy comment to make though if he did say it. Liverpool is not Boston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

5starpool wrote: »
    Even without the overall price increases for the new main stand, it'll pay for itself in 5 years. I can't believe that comment is true given that it would have amounted to only 2m a year difference. Pretty crappy comment to make though if he did say it. Liverpool is not Boston.

Softening up the ground for the next row with fans over ticket price increases.

The article seems vague even though it has some quotes. So might not be accurate. Hope it isn't.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/c4812ca65e6644429cecadad10a6c364/liverpool-reassesses-further-anfield-expansion-after

A few things:-

1. If the cost of adding additional capacity isn't commercially viable ie it won't pay for itself and generate a profit why should the investment be made?

2. This summers transfer dealings are a once off, the "profit" made this summer won't cover the losses incurred over the 50 year life of a new stand which doesnt generate enough revenue to pay for itself.

3. If FSG did build a loss making stand the losses incurred each year would reduce funds available for wages and transfers.

4. Are you really actually surprised that strangers from Boston are profit motivated business people? Did you somehow think they were benefactors who decided to spunk all their money on a football club they had no prior connection to? Seriously???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It would hardly be loss making, just take a bit longer than initially expected to pay back?

It's a tiny snippet so I'll wait to see the context. The new stand has been a success story so I doubt Henry would go out of his way to balls it up!

Some fascinating stuff on the Under Pressure podcast on Anfield Index for stats nerds, plus a couple of blogs I follow. It seems we are shooting more from inside the box, particularly in or around the dee, Lalana and Mane in particular. This was a noticeable trend in Dortmund so it could well be a tactic, rather than something that happened over 6 games.

Odd thing is Sturridge isn't shooting in the box as much, probably down to other goal threats in the team. Also could be smart tactics to exploit the attention Sturridge naturally attracts, which leaves space elsewhere.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

No corporate seats planned for expanded Anfield Road so would take longer to pay back than main stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Let the chinese investors pay for it if rumours are true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ricero wrote: »
    Let the chinese investors pay for it if rumours are true

Nah, we'll get Mexico to pay for that too.

5starpool wrote: »
    Even without the overall price increases for the new main stand, it'll pay for itself in 5 years.
    Source?

Given the general acceptance that FSG are profit driven business people what possible motivation would they have not to build a new stand if they were confident of making an attractive return on investment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Why do some people leap to the defence of the owners for almost everything?

To insinuate that the fans are to blame for stopping the redevelopment of Anfield is a pretty low dig IMO.........correct or not......
    Basically price people out from watching Liverpool play or we wont redevelop Anfield is a pretty awful choice to ask fans to make.

Of course, I'm also assuming this is John Henrys thinking, which it may not be...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement