Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Talisman wrote: »
    Coutinho's standard is inconsistent - there is nothing new there.

He's a lot less consistent when we're expecting him to play in the inside left position than when he's playing deeper and more centrally.

That was where he cut his teeth at Liverpool but now he's in the front 3 and I just don't think it does him many favours. He can score more goals there but he takes boatloads of shots as well.

The trick is Lallana.

If he wasn't so bloody brilliant this season we'd probably be playing something closer to today's lineup in most games.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On Mignolet/Karius, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Mignolet back in again for the Utd game. If he doesn't then he might as well start looking for a new club whether Karius works out or not.

It is far too early to pronounce Karius a failure but he hasn't looked assured yet, and his decision making hasn't been great. As long as we continue to win though I don't mind who is in goal.

We won all our games between the international breaks. Be nice to do that again next time. Nice thing to aim for anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

today just shows how no matter how good your form is, games like that can happen. So much talk of hammering them and confidence was high going in.

However the way we ground it out is highly encouraging for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

GBX wrote: »
    How often in the past have we gone behind and not been able to get a win. Brilliant turnaround in the 2nd half. Well done lads. Hopefully the run continues in 2 weeks.
    Last season we salvaged 8 points from the 13 league games where we conceded the first goal. So far this season we have 6 points from 3 such games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Super 2nd half performance! Great fighting spirit. You can see the players you want in the trenches with it.

Matip is quite possibly the best centre half we've seen at the club since Hyypia!

Thought Sturridge's movement helped the team out a lot. Mane was very poor today, didn't really offer much.

I thought my 100% season match thread record was going to come to an end there for a while.

4/4 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Main Man

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/782201158756696064
    20 - No Liverpool player has been involved in more PL goals than Roberto Firmino since the start of last season (13 goals, 7 assists). Busy.

Harry seems to be absent, so I'll post u-18's progress. Early goal conceded, but the final result was:

FT: Newcastle u18s 1-3 #LFC u18s (McAuley, Masterson, Gomes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Super 2nd half performance! Great fighting spirit. You can see the players you want in the trenches with it.

Matip is quite possibly the best centre half we've seen at the club since Hyypia!

Thought Sturridge's movement helped the team out a lot. Mane was very poor today, didn't really offer much.

I thought sturridge was only ok. Took a lot out of the ball at times. Didn't see the pass when Swansea were stretched. You could see he was getting frustrated a went chasing the ball more.

We're guaranteed to be either top 3 (at worst) or else only 2 points behind top (and 4th at worst) after this weekend. Excellent start to the season overall.

Boring!

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/782228082207973377
    44 - James Milner has never been on the losing side in a @premierleague game where he has scored. Talisman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

5starpool wrote: »
    Harry seems to be absent, so I'll post u-18's progress. Early goal conceded, but the final result was:

FT: Newcastle u18s 1-3 #LFC u18s (McAuley, Masterson, Gomes)

My PC decided to throw a wobbly - log on wouldn't log on. All sorted now (fingers crossed).

Anyway I listened to the 5live coverage - sounded like the proverbial game of to halves. I shall now enjoy a scan through the match thread! :D

Edit - disappointing lack of Man Utd supporters when a goal down...:pac:

As they say after games like this - it's the result that matters.

I have to say I'm a fan of OptaJoe stats, they really can come up with some good ones.

Here's one I liked.....

In the last week Agent Coulson has posted 'Main man Firmino' 10 times (consistent)

Most thanked of those posts was 5 (Solid)

Least thanked was 3 complete blanks (swing and a miss)

Total thanks of all 10 posts is 17 (weak)

Average 1.7 thanks per post (must do better)

Just an observation, carry on my wayward son.

Seriously, give the internet a break!!

I don't get the obsession with paying attention to what people thank or not. It's a bit nuts!!

Liverpool won today. If you support them enjoy it.

As this could be as good as it gets.

live_table.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I have to say I'm a fan of OptaJoe stats, they really can come up with some good ones.

Here's one I liked.....

In the last week Agent Coulson has posted 'Main man Firmino' 10 times (consistent)

Most thanked of those posts was 5 (Solid)

Least thanked was 3 complete blanks (swing and a miss)

Total thanks of all 10 posts is 17 (weak)

Average 1.7 thanks per post (must do better)

Just an observation, carry on my wayward son.

Your obsession is amusing.

Post match presser from Klopp. He hopes Lallana and Lovren will be ok for the Utd game, but too early to say for sure of course.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/10/video-jurgen-klopp-post-match-press-conference-swansea-1-2-liverpool/

Gbear wrote: »
    He's a lot less consistent when we're expecting him to play in the inside left position than when he's playing deeper and more centrally........

He's not at his best unless he's #10 ish. He doesn't have the tools to play really well elsewhere IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

2.28571429 PPG.

Nice.

And that there might be the difference between winning and losing the title this year. #marginalgains

RoboKlopp wrote: »

I don't get the obsession with paying attention to what people thank or not. It's a bit nuts!!

Now now chaps we are just pool fans on a Liverpool thread having a bit of Bantz and sometimes decent discussion. Some people need to just calm down and imagine a nice hug from Klopp.

On a different note, if our main man can only muster 13 games over a season of games we'll need to go shopping for more than a keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Cheers buddy, I'm happy to help and spread some joy.

No thanks buddy, I enjoy the internet, I do however appreciate your concern.

I did enjoy the win, I did not rush to post a b1tchy comment straight after it, but again thanks for looking out for me!

Let's hug it out bros.

CRhb4VaWoAAKOuE.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Play City on 31st Dec at home and ten league games later play them away . We could be the two going for title, but the games are during times where losing them won't be too decisive either way. It's another little plus I think. A lot of football will be played before we play them, and a lot will be played after we play them.

I really wonder if a few here get out even less than I do :pac:

Milner wasn't made to look like Dani Alves today in the way that what pass for defenders in Hull did but he still went out there did a solid enough job and had a couple of bits of quality, followed by his penalty.

Promising, that.
    If the worst he is is "grand", then that's fine by me.

I actually quite liked Origi coming on.
    Swansea did look a little deflated but he had an impact despite looking a little rusty. Sturridge probably should've buried the chance he created for him.

Is this the longest a fit Sturridge has gone without a goal .

defence looked a bit ropey today, Matip had his least impressive display I feel.

Karius was nervy, hopefully that will go soon enough

Loved Lovren balooning the ball into the car park in the 94 min, Carragher esque!

The defence looks a bit ropey everyday they play.

Milner wasn't made to look like Dani Alves today in the way that what pass for defenders in Hull did but he still went out there did a solid enough job and had a couple of bits of quality, followed by his penalty.

Promising, that.
    If the worst he is is "grand", then that's fine by me.

I actually quite liked Origi coming on.
    Swansea did look a little deflated but he had an impact despite looking a little rusty. Sturridge probably should've buried the chance he created for him.

Yes, love Milner, such a good pro.

Agree with you about Origi too, he did ok BUT he did piss me off when he took a speculative punt with about 2 mins injury time left and we did nearly concede after that in fact we definitely should have conceded, was more poor keeping by Karius btw , hopefully he will improve, does not inspire me at the minute

Sturridge hasn't scored a league goal since last April if I'm correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Whats the story with "boomerang" being mentioned a lot recently?...

888.jpg

• Advertisement

Sturridge hasn't scored a league goal since last April if I'm correct.

He was awful today.

Not buying a top striker will still come back to haunt us imo

NukaCola wrote: »
    Whats the story with "boomerang" being mentioned a lot recently?...

888.jpg

No idea, I'm out of touch with the cliques. Who's with who these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

He was awful today.

He wasnt awful at all, he played well.

He was awful today.

I dunno, we score from various players and a lot . Sturridge not getting the game time in league so his stats are beginning to suffer. I still think he will get his fair share of goals if he gets the time on pitch.
    Who do you drop if we sign Augero ..

J Mysterio wrote: »
    He wasnt awful at all, he played well.

Well he didn't do that either.

He had some nice touches, some poor touches, some nice passes, some situations where he held onto the ball too long, etc.

He had very little created for him, but at the same time arguably should've put that chance Origi created for him away.

I think our whole unit up front today struggled but I don't think Sturridge was worse than Firmino or Mane, at least not in possession.

.... I don't think Sturridge was worse than Firmino or Mane, at least not in possession.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwXR8AjE7lCDyFICUyf50btpSb6YiprBDgc2HAaPPljD2xO8ULzLlZvPY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's great to show the capacity to get a win in a game like that.
    We didn't play well at all and Swansea were fairly resolute but we had enough lads just being dangerous to get the job done.

But you can see how we'll drop points in similar circumstances - maybe an injury to someone important or a bit less luck on the defensive side of things - like the open goal they missed at the end.

Thought Coutinho, Wijnaldum, Hendo and Milner had passable games.
    Coutinho wasn't great by his own standards but just doing his regular stuff on the ball in the middle of pitch was hugely important to our spell of pressure.
    I like him a lot more in that position and even if he's not firing on all cylinders I think he has a lot more impact there.

I'd probably have given Wijnaldum MOTM for us. Thought he was excellent.
    Really clever movement, good vision, linking. If those around him hadn't been so poor in the final third he could've had a big hand in 2 or 3 goals.

Clyne is just so utterly brutal in the final third. He's as good as they come in the league before he gets there but all he seems to show is new and creative ways to waste the ball.
    It's not a huge deal because himself and Mane make a good team but his own productivity is atrocious.

Sturridge wasn't great but service was so poor as to look like deliberate sabotage against him.

Mignolet must be feeling frustrated. Karius has been unambiguously poorer than him so far in pretty much every way.
    He's even worse with his feet and Mignolet's kickouts can barely clear the halfway line.

You said Gigi had a passable game. Then you say you'd give him MoTM and he was excellent.

It has to be one or the other.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    You said Gigi had a passable game. Then you say you'd give him MoTM and he was excellent.

Personally I'd lean towards excellent, he links play so well, great in tight spaces, his touch and control all top notch imo, a cute player!

Wijnaldum was again I think our most consistent player he may turn out to be the signing of the summer if he keep up the consistency he has shown so far this season.

Mane will get the headlines but Wijnaldum makes it all tick.

• Advertisement

Personally I'd lean towards excellent, he links play so well, great in tight spaces, his touch and control all top notch imo, a cute player!

I thought he was excellent as well. Doesn't do anything out of the ordinary but does everything we need him to do.

Please lads. Pm each other!!

For the love of LFC!

Klopp hug anybody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I was very skeptical when we signed Wijnaldum but he has really impressed me in the last 3 games. Second half today was his best performance so far.

Time to unfollow this for a while :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We win and the thread turns to shíte.

Imagine if we lost.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I was very skeptical when we signed Wijnaldum but he has really impressed me in the last 3 games. Second half today was his best performance so far.

Same. Didn't really know what to expect but was trusting Klopp.

Seems like a very good purchase so far

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Imagine if we lost.

I've seen this happen before. Makes you wonder.

Imagine if we lost.

My sentiment exactly.

Imagine if we lost.

The thread is fine, I'm happy we won. We move on. I'm a good boy

emmetkenny wrote: »

*He was part of the group that had passable games or better.

I've maybe been harsh on Clyne by not including him in it. He's mostly been praised and he got the actual MOTM award but jesus his final ball drives me insane.

Wijnaldum wasn't up to much first half like most of them mind you but he was great 2nd half.

They were all at least a bit better 2nd half but our execution in front of goal was still fairly shocking.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement