Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Several posts have been deleted since the game finished. They are off topic, childish plus they are derailing and spoiling the thread for everyone else.

The main participants face yellow and red cards if it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

I like when we win games of football, I hope we win some more games of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Can't say I disagree with this, the bloke has come on leaps and bounds with Klopp around, he just seems to be everywhere all the time when he's on the pitch, I hope the injury isn't too bad, missed that part of the match making tea... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Fieldog wrote: »
    Can't say I disagree with this, the bloke has come on leaps and bounds with Klopp around, he just seems to be everywhere all the time when he's on the pitch, I hope the injury isn't too bad, missed that part of the match making tea... :/

I remember last season we were playing a cup game against lower league opposition and Lallana was on the bench, he never got on, most people thought it would have been a waste of time bringing him on anyway, I disagreed but anyway the main point is that the transformation has been immense, super player, like you say I hope he's not out for long, it'll be a blessing for Utd if he misses that game, he's a vital cog in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Fieldog wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Great game....we were thr better team but still lucky to come away with the win. They missed some sitters.

Liverpool are now the only team in the top 10 of the league to concede double figures. We need to work on our defence. Scoring wins you games, defence wins you titles.

Lallana always showed great intelligence and is a very tidy footballer.

He always/often seemed to be subbed at S'ton in closing stages of second half and had an injury hit first season with us.

Where he gets the energy from now is a credit to the current training regime and Klopp.

You'd hope he returns sooner rather than later and surely he won't feature at the England national meet up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Great game....we were thr better team but still lucky to come away with the win. They missed some sitters.

Liverpool are now the only team in the top 10 of the league to concede double figures. We need to work on our defence. Scoring wins you games, defence wins you titles.

Tbh as long as we continue to out score the other team I don't care about goals conceded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wijnaldum is forced through passion and drive from Klopp to produce every game, not just when he feels in the mood. That is what Klopp brings to the players he works with.
    If Wijnaldum gave less than everything he would be out of team pretty fast. Klopp has took players that were frustrating and made them important cogs in team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

A come from behind away win.
    I don't think Swansea will be pushovers for anyone at home, City got a soft pen against them last week. I would have tried switching Mane to the other wing during the game perhaps but winning ugly is all right with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

James Milner is an absolute f*cking boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Milner has been a great signing it must be said. People on here seemed to take a bit of a dislike to him last season as he was named vice captain. He is doing a decent job at lb. I'd always have him in the first eleven rarely has a poor game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Milner was a shi'te central midfielder but a good right winger who became a brilliantly productive left back. He'll end up in goals yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Wijnaldum was again I think our most consistent player he may turn out to be the signing of the summer if he keep up the consistency he has shown so far this season.

Mane will get the headlines but Wijnaldum makes it all tick.

Rafa knows.
    Milner was a shi'te central midfielder but a good right winger who became a brilliantly productive left back. He'll end up in goals yet.

Oh if he was 6 inches taller Clyne would be our LB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Great win. This game more than any other so far this season imo showed the change in us. A goal down away from home to a side who looked well up for it and us not at our best at all first half.

But back we came. More gutsy than flamboyant but we got the job done.

As a side point we need a new left back coz Milner is a 30-odd year old midfielder who hasnt played as a defender before and he will cost us top-4. Feck you Klopp, ya clueless git!
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

4 goals in 6 games. Milner now the best LB in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Up first on MoTD now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Up first on MoTD now.

Cheers! I Was just wondering that :)
    Got to switch over just in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Didn't get to see the game didn't seem like we played great but we won which matters. Pity that keeping clean sheets seems a real issue and Hendo obviously didn't watch Jurgen talk about winning the second ball at set pieces. Hopefully we can get some league goals from Origi or Sturridge soon and a clean sheet for Linda's/team morale.
    Any update on Lallana?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I think he could do a job for us in our current midfield if lallana is out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Milner has impressed me and tbh I wasn't sure when he signed.
    Overall very happy with whats been going on.. Hull could've been a test but that came today and very happy they got the three points. Even since the Houllier days Liverpool teams have often folded when going a goal down

I think he could do a job for us in our current midfield if lallana is out

That would mean Moreno at LB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

5 unbeaten, can you dig it sucka

image?format=raw&type=img&id=10222

And we bookended the international breaks with wins

bookend-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's funny, Milner has really impressed in every position except the one he was bought for.

Team showed a lot of character today. This was exactly the test we failed only a few weeks ago, great to see they could find a way today. Truth be told, we were actually very good breaking into great positions. Only a few heroic leg stretches, and ever so slightly 'off' passing kept it to the 2. Mane's chance when Milner played the pullback just wrong being a good example of both.

I saw some criticism going to Clyne today, I actually thought he was very good. Lovren struggled a bit, not surprised to hear he pulled something during the game. Matip made one mistake, but it could have been costly.

Still don't really know about Karius...it's obviously going to take him a little time to build a relationship with his teammates. Blaming Achterburg for his performances is nuts though - he's only been there 5 minutes, and half that time has been spent recovering from injury. I don't particularly rate Achterburg, but just throwing all goalkeeping ills at his door is just confirmation-bias stuff.

Would start Mignolet against United I think though. As much for Karius as anything else - that's a game where a mistake would be really crucified and I don't think that'd be great for a GK who's new, doesn't really know his teammates yet, and will be a bit short on confidence. In the past Mig has also reacted quite well to these sorts of situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I thought he was excellent as well. Doesn't do anything out of the ordinary but does everything we need him to do.

Tbf for us THAT is out of the ordinary! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

GiftofGab wrote: »

This is a myth that has been proven incorrect many times over I'm pretty sure. If it were true wouldn't Tony Pulis have many titles??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

mormank wrote: »
    This is a myth that has been proven incorrect many times over I'm pretty sure. If it were true wouldn't Tony Pulis have many titles??

He does have many titles, but posting any of them here would get me banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

But Pulis's teams don't score. That's the point he was making. We do need to shore up the defence though. Liverpool have forgotten how to defend set pieces - when the defence coaches review the games after, do they not see what's wrong? Doesn't appear that tactics are changing at all.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Still don't really know about Karius...it's obviously going to take him a little time to build a relationship with his teammates. Blaming Achterburg for his performances is nuts though - he's only been there 5 minutes, and half that time has been spent recovering from injury. I don't particularly rate Achterburg, but just throwing all goalkeeping ills at his door is just confirmation-bias stuff.

Nuts indeed.
    Funny how the calls for bringing in a defensive coach aren't made anymore but Ach' already getting stick for Karius being allegedly a tad sh1t so far. Which is harsh in itself as he's under the spotlight and our inability to keep a clean sheet isn't just due to the GK.

To be honest, I doubt many ever saw him play in Germany and the highly rated stuff applied to Moreno, markovic & countless other signings who didn't cut the mustard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bit early to be talking about titles, surely?

If yesterday proved anything, it's that this time is still a bit inconcsistant for a title challenge, and I think it'll be a while before even Klopp sorts that out.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Look at man city and our goals scored & conceded stats over the season and come back to us in May.

Bit early to be talking about titles, surely?

If yesterday proved anything, it's that this time is still a bit inconcsistant for a title challenge, and I think it'll be a while before even Klopp sorts that out.

Exactly.

If we finish 4th I'll be pleasantly surprised

Bit early to be talking about titles, surely.

I thought so too.

Top4 finish would be great for this season IMO but many don't agree.

Realistically the good run we're on might just be that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Of course it's too early to be talking about titles. Sure City had the league wrapped up at this stage last season...that went well.

You should be aiming to win the title though...fail and you might finish 2nd,3rd or 4th...aim to finish 4th and you might end up finishing 5th,6th or lower.

A lot of the title winning talk is tongue in cheek(it is with me anyway)because it drives opposition fans mad and that's always a good thing right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Of course it's too early to be talking about titles. Sure City had the league wrapped up at this stage last season...that went well.

You should be aiming to win the title though...fail and you might finish 2nd,3rd or 4th...aim to finish 4th and you might end up finishing 5th,6th or lower.

A lot of the title winning talk is tongue in cheek(it is with me anyway)because it drives opposition fans mad and that's always a good thing right?

If you aim for fourth you might also end up winning the league :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Happy Birthday Bobby Firmino!

Firmino-goal.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is that why he got his teeth whitened? :D

So then Spurs v Man City, do we want a home win, draw or away win (obviously with many red cards and a few knocks)

Spurs win would bring them level with City on 18 points and so compress the points spread within the race for the title/Top 4 on the other hand City winning would put them 5 points clear of us and 7 ahead of Spurs who would therefore stay third, obviously a draw damages both a bit and Spurs would stay third.

Okay it's a draw please :)

You aim to win everygame..... realistically you won't. Top4 this season would be great.

People respond to views like that with klopp aiming for title and top4 being great is a sentiment of past managers etc etc.

When klopp gets us as close to a title as past managers that theory might hold some water.

So then Spurs v Man City, do we want a home win, draw or away win (obviously with many red cards and a few knocks)

Spurs win would bring them level with City on 18 points and so compress the points spread within the race for the title/Top 4 on the other hand City winning would put them 5 points clear of us and 7 ahead of Spurs who would therefore stay third, obviously a draw damages both a bit and Spurs would stay third.

Draw please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Draw please

With Oddles of long term suspensions on both sides. And is like to see that across the board today.

• Advertisement

If you aim for fourth you might also end up winning the league :)

You might but it's a bad attitude and not the type of thinking Klopp will be trying to instill in the squad. Aim for the top.

You might but it's a bad attitude and not the type of thinking Klopp will be trying to instill in the squad. Aim for the top.

I'm sure Leicester didn't set out with the aim to win the league last year.

I get what your saying though. I see a lot more fight in the team since Klopp came in, the heads no longer drop when we go behind.

I'm sure Leicester didn't set out with the aim to win the league last year.

I get what your saying though. I see a lot more fight in the team since Klopp came in, the heads no longer drop when we go behind.

True enough but I have a feeling that what Leicester did last season is a once in a lifetime thing. Can't see it happening again.

It's great to see the fighting spirit in the squad...we've been a soft touch for way too long.

True enough but I have a feeling that what Leicester did last season is a once in a lifetime thing. Can't see it happening again.

It's great to see the fighting spirit in the squad...we've been a soft touch for way too long.

I think that fight will do us better this year than whether we aim for 1st or 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Spurs win for me please, could do with City getting rattled.

That's no disrespect to Spurs who I very much respect, it's just more to do with Pep suffering a knock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Clyne missing the England game due to knee injury. Hopefully it's a precaution and will be ok for Utd game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Spurs win for me please, could do with City getting rattled.

That's no disrespect to Spurs who I very much respect, it's just more to do with Pep suffering a knock.

Agreed. He looks so assured already, and some of his players have dramatically turned around their form. Need that bubble to burst before they build freight train momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Clyne missing the England game due to knee injury. Hopefully it's a precaution and will be ok for Utd game
    Good.

No point in him going to that game when he risks being injured by one of his teammates in training when he has no chance of playing the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Good.

No point in him going to that game when he risks being injured by one of his teammates in training when he has no chance of playing the match.

True. And klopp will have all his defenders for 2 weeks if I'm not mistaken.
    Btw I'm surprised to see you outside f & f

• Advertisement

...... for Utd game

The Utd game is intrigueing.

Of all the top/elite managers Jose is the one most likely to employ park the bus tactics when appropriate, which to be fair it is often the way to go but you'd never see Wenger do it for example.

With DDG in goal they can allow Coutinho for example rifle away from outside the box with the confidence that'd it'd need to be a right good effort to go in.

Their defenders can play ball but I reckon Jose won't mandate them to do so with Firmino snapping at their ankles so they might well play some hoof ball and put our defence under aerial attack and allow us counter to a packed defence.

I'd say Jose will go more Burnley than Swansea for the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement