Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Match interrupted, power failurem abotu 15 mins to go. And **** weather.

(Coutinho playing, Fiminio on the bench as it happens)

Phil got 83mins and Bobby stayed on the bench. That'll do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is that Brazil's last match now?

I hope Couts is well rested for Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

corwill wrote: »
    Ah here, Ged didn't give Babbel Guillain–Barré syndrome!

He had already ostracised Babbel by that stage! He was sent off in a reserve game against Everton (for headbutting I think) and it was pretty much the end of his Liverpool career.

Another f*ck up by Houllier, the dickhead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Torres would have to be ahead of Fowler IMO

either your 15 or taking the piss.

fowler was our best premier league era striker it's not even up for debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

kfallon wrote: »
    He had already ostracised Babbel by that stage! He was sent off in a reserve game against Everton (for headbutting I think) and it was pretty much the end of his Liverpool career.

My recollection is that Babbel waa back from his illness at that point, but he was a shadow of his former self, was coping with that really poorly and was acting the bollix around the club and in training. Ged got the hump with his carry on and lost his patience (probably informed to a fair degree by Babbel's diminishment as a player).

Subject to correction on that, it's been a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

whats with the Ged hate, did he piss in your cornflakes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Softening up the ground for the next row with fans over ticket price increases.

Veeeeery interesting interview with Ayre:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-chief-executive-ian-ayre-12011511

The $hit's chess, it ain't checkers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The difference now is its all about the whole not the individual.
    Veeeeery interesting interview with Ayre:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-chief-executive-ian-ayre-12011511

The $hit's chess, it ain't checkers...

Tbf to him, there are some interesting points there about the redevelopment. Given what portion of income comes from general admission in comparison to TV rights, for example, you'd have to wonder whether sinking €60m-€70m into 6,000 seats is a worthwhile venture.

Obviously, as fans, we all want more seats, more opportunities to get into the stadium and a better atmosphere, noise, etc., but is it actually a logical business move?

The following info was printed by the Guardian in May this year. Obviously, we have no account for the new TV income and new ticket income with the increased capacity, but last season match-day income was less than half TV/broadcasting or commercial, and 20% overall.

With even more TV money on the table, and extra commercial deals like Malaysian Airlines, etc., would the club be better off focusing on those avenues as income sources instead?
    From https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/25/premier-league-finances-club-by-club-breakdown-david-conn

• Income Gate and match-day income £59m; TV and broadcasting £123m; Commercial £116m

• Wage bill 5th highest in League £166m, up from £144m in 2014

• Wages as proportion of turnover 56%

• Profit before tax £60m, following £1m profit in 2014

• Net debt £95m

• Interest payable £4m

• Highest-paid director Unnamed, £1.199m (Ian Ayre is the managing director)

State they are in: John Henry, principal of Liverpool’s Boston-based owners, Fenway Sports Group, said when they bought a crisis-stricken club in 2010 that they were attracted by the financial fair play rules introduced by Uefa to staunch excessive spending on wages. Gradually, now with Jürgen Klopp, appointed, they are rebuilding Liverpool to compete on its own resources – itself a reason why tickets for the 8,500 new seats in the Anfield main stand expansion will not be cheap. FSG has put some money in, though; in 2014-15 it wrote off a £69m loan by converting it to shares, then loaned £49m to fund the stadium works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Another day another new sponsorship deal this one is with Hugo Boss.

Now they all look Boss.

unnamed-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ian Ayre going out with a florish. Suits him.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Henderson looks like the only one happy to be there. Sturridge and Coutinho especially look as if they just ate yellow snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

5starpool wrote: »
    Henderson looks like the only one happy to be there. Sturridge and Coutinho especially look as if they just ate yellow snow.

Sturridge to me only looks happy when scoring. Couthino is probably facked from jet lag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He's doing the model pose, relaaaaax.

GBX wrote: »
    Sturridge to me only looks happy when scoring. Couthino is probably facked from jet lag

That was taken before the int break surely unless Coutinho really is a magician.

I'm already nervous/excited about the game on Monday. Still 5 days away though. Sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Hendo is the only one who didn't get the memo to pout instead of smiling, amateur stuff from him!

Hendo is the only one who didn't get the memo to pout instead of smiling, amateur stuff from him!

Posing from his knees. Typical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

You could argue instead of Barnes, he is one of my favourite players of all time
    but once the PL kicked in he was beset by a lot of injuries for a couple of seasons and then his role in the team changed to a central midfield player. Still was a class act but his performances were not as scintillating as the period 88-91 so not sure I'd have him in the best Liverpool PL team.
    His legs were gone at that stage, and Barnes was reputed to have been picking the team for Roy Evans. For a time we had a midfield of Barnes and Redknapp, probably the most static pairing in the history of the Premier League. Michael Thomas used to make cameo appearances when Barnes tired.

Based upon his performances in the PL era he shouldn't be anywhere near a first XI.

Agger got some new Liverpool related tattoos..Liverbirds on his fingers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

More from that tw@t Comolli.

http://talksport.com/football/liverpool-owners-told-me-jordan-henderson-was-waste-money-damien-comolli-tells-talksport#bqYVMDcrSZuVuSEB.99

You really think he'd just keep his mouth shut after all this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Crazy talk. Houllier gave Babbel a new contract when he was diagnosed with Guillain–Barre syndrome.

After over 14 months out of the game, Babbel played in the League Cup against Aston Villa and was substituted before half time - it was clear he was a shadow of his former self. He wasn't prepared to accept that it was going to take years to recover from the condition. He had a number of flare ups in reserve games before the Everton game. Houllier lost patience with Babbel after he headbutted the Everton youth player.

The following season he went on loan to Blackburn, they declined the option to sign him permanently at the end of the season and Liverpool released him from his contract. He didn't ever fully recover from the Guillain–Barre syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Agger got some new Liverpool related tattoos..Liverbirds on his fingers

That's one way of ending any transfer chatter, get YNMA tattooed on you. Legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

http://talksport.com/football/liverpool-owners-told-me-jordan-henderson-was-waste-money-damien-comolli-tells-talksport#bqYVMDcrSZuVuSEB.99

He recruited an LFC/England captain and Loius Suarez for £19m or whatever and sold a knackered Torres for £50m. No way is he ever going to shut up about that. He still needs/wants to earn a living as a football director so he's going to take any self promotion opportunity he can get.

Unfortunately he also signed Downing, Carroll, Adam, Enrique and Coates :(

Enrique was a decent signing until injury caught up with him Coates was signed to keep Suarez company and neither cost much.

Downing, Carroll and Adam were more down to Kenny than Comolli.

His record across the clubs he has been at is quiet good and if we got the players he wanted over the British based players Kenny wanted who knows how much money we would have gotten for them selling them on lol.

We would have been in the positive net spend years ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Agger is scent a mental about the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

rob316 wrote: »
    either your 15 or taking the piss.

fowler was our best premier league era striker it's not even up for debate.

He was here for longer and has the local lad cachet but surely Suarez has to have been the best player, full stop?

Was Barnes in his pomp even as good, never mind in the PL era?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Suarez is the best player I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt :)
    I'd pick Fowler as the other striker in that team before Torres though.. I think Torres was good for 18 months and then his form dropped and then he always seemed disinterested, up until that game against Chelsea lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Gbear wrote: »
    He was here for longer and has the local lad cachet but surely Suarez has to have been the best player, full stop?

Was Barnes in his pomp even as good, never mind in the PL era?
    Yes, yes he was.

Scintillating would be the best word to describe him in his pomp. Not far behind Dalglish and Souness but above Molby and Beardsley and about level with Rush, imo.

Unplayable on his day but Suarez had a far poorer team to support him but very similar in the effects both had on their teams.

*off to Youtube for nostalgia fix*

Individually Suarez was as good as there was.

He wasn't around long enough though which was a shame

Yes, yes he was.

Scintillating would be the best word to describe him in his pomp. Not far behind Dalglish and Souness but above Molby and Beardsley and about level with Rush, imo.

Unplayable on his day but Suarez had a far poorer team to support him but very similar in the effects both had on their teams.

*off to Youtube for nostalgia fix*

That goal against QPR in 87/88.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

That goal against QPR in 87/88.

Assist Vs Monday night's opponents :)

Skip to about 2:10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Ah here, I didn't agree with everything Ged did as manager but a bit of respect for the guy who lets not forget was literally nearly hours from death in the process of managing the club!

Seeing is Believing shirts sponsorship is back on Monday night.

Clyne and Lovren took part in today's training but no sign of Lallana or Wijnaldum though and they remain major doubts for the game in the Echo tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Saw an article on the Echo earlier about Wijnaldum - it was a link to the "Blood Red" podcast. Basically a conspiracy about how Wijnaldum told Netherlands manager at half time the other night that his hamstring felt tight, but ended up playing 15 mins into the second half before having to go off. Netherlands manager at the moment being the father of a current Man Utd player :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Seeing is Believing shirts sponsorship is back on Monday night.

If I'm not mistaken, don't we have a perfect record in those shirts? Beat Chelsea in 2012 and Spurs in 2015 with them on, don't remember any others.

martyos121 wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, don't we have a perfect record in those shirts? Beat Chelsea in 2012 and Spurs in 2015 with them on, don't remember any others.

Ya, I can't remember a bad result wearing them, but I certainly don't have perfect recall sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Saw an article on the Echo earlier about Wijnaldum - it was a link to the "Blood Red" podcast. Basically a conspiracy about how Wijnaldum told Netherlands manager at half time the other night that his hamstring felt tight, but ended up playing 15 mins into the second half before having to go off. Netherlands manager at the moment being the father of a current Man Utd player :)

Some people genuinely need to get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Talk sport owned by new corp who own the sun please no talk sport links

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Assist Vs Monday night's opponents :)

Skip to about 2:10

I dunno, I can only see one team playing in that video :pac:

• Advertisement

Talk sport owned by new corp who own the sun please no talk sport links

Sky and the times are owned by them too. It is not the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/liverpool-fan-changes-twitter-name-as-the-sun-use-his-tweet-in-story/91402

A Liverpool fans tweet was picked up by the Sun so he temporarily changed it to DontByTheSun. It was on their site for a few hours before they noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Liverpool have brought in a wage cap for youth players, great move:

Liverpool introduce wage cap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hopefully come Monday night at 10PM Boards will have the match thread closed & not left open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

2012: Beat Chelsea 4-1

2014: Beat Spurs 4-0

2015: Beat Spurs 3-2

They always seem to deliver a performance anyways.

WxrMyDT.jpg

MD1990 wrote: »
    Hopefully come Monday night at 10PM Boards will have the match thread closed & not left open.

Match threads should all close automatically after 24hrs in my opinion, and only open within 24hrs of kickoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

8-10 wrote: »
    Match threads should all close automatically after 24hrs in my opinion, and only open within 24hrs of kickoff

And they usually do when we win. When we lose we all know it's another story altogether. The Burnley thread is actually still open. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pity it looks like Lallana and Wijnaldum will be missing. That said Can and Sturridge are pretty good replacements albeit we might lose a little bit pressing wise.

And they usually do when we win. When we lose we all know it's another story altogether. The Burnley thread is actually still open. :rolleyes:

Ah stop with the conspiracy theories. There was probably relatively little crap in that thread (I haven't looked at it once). If it were to be closed now probably over a month since the last post, what difference would it make? I bet there are plenty of match threads of Utd losing and people having a chuckle at their expense that are still open.

Same with anyone making a fuss of the ref choice for the game on Monday. If he makes terrible decisions then criticise him then, not beforehand.

• Advertisement

I'm saying it shouldn't relate to the teams, should be something as policy on the soccer forum. 10pm on the day of the game is too soon to close

No match threads opened more than 24 hrs before kickoff (like an airline check-in) and close 24hrs after. That's my recommendation for the next feedback thread. Then any sense of supporter/team bias is taken out. Gives a full day of preview and a full day of review. After that there should be nothing left to discuss and it there is put it in the superthread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement