Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Knex. wrote: »
    Getting way ahead here, but look at our very last 8 or 9 fixtures. You can't really ask for much better than that.

That could be crucial for building late momentum and clinching a top 4 spot. Long way to go, but if we can get to that stage of the season still in the mix, you'd have to fancy ourselves to make a serious push for it.

The ideal for that run is a heap of sides condemned to mid-table. The relegation battlers can pull off some great performances when properly motivated, usually the teams in 9th-13th or so don't give a toss.

Starting from the game after Everton, we have Bournemouth, Stoke, WBA, Palace, Watford, Southampton, West Ham and 'Boro.

Definitely likely to comprise a significant portion of the mid table there, with, say, Southampton likely to be pushing from 8th/7th/6th upwards at the time, and then, maybe, Boro, WBA and Bournemouth possibly just below.

As you say, it's pointless to look that far ahead but it is the flip side of getting all your toughest games played between August and October.

But, that being said, we've a tricky run again in January-March, with Chelsea, United, City, Arsenal, Leicester, Spurs all in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

LOL God I love Klopp.

https://twitter.com/_ChrisBascombe/status/786909480017592320
    Klopp: on Xmas period “We play two games in 48 hours, there will be injuries and then some Dutch guy (on Twitter) will say things.”

Presser.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

And a day and a half later we play Sunderland away.

Other than then though, there is no real bad fixture congestion for us over Christmas. The worst other set around that time is Dec 11th and 14th.

Obviously if we are still in the league cup then though it changes things a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Gary Neville picks his best Liverpool 11....including free Suarez gif:rolleyes:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-neville-picks-best-liverpool-12023890

lol :D

Some Dutch guy on twitter responds..That didn't take long.

https://twitter.com/raymondverheije/status/786914060906426368
    Liverpool manager Klopp caused 20 hamstring injuries in 10 months but keeps blaming external factors for injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Lol, but tbh he hasn't handled Sturridge badly has he?
    And he's not rushing back Ings, Gomez only started training.
    His teams work hard so theres that chance of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Did Klopp mention Llalana's injury? Sorry, at work and can't listen to the presser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Did Klopp mention Llalana's injury? Sorry, at work and can't listen to the presser.

Said he isn't ruled out of Mondays match but didn't say he's fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Ray The Egg is a bit of an eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Verheijen has gone from fairly respected sports scientist to complete laughing stock and caricature of himself in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Milkers wrote: »
    Verheijen has gone from fairly respected sports scientist to complete laughing stock and caricature of himself in the last 12 months.

Fairly sure saying Gary Speed would have wanted him as successor as Wales manager, within days of his funeral, firmly copperfastened him as an end of a bell. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/wales/16133955.stm

Don't think he's had a job on the staff of a club or football association since.

Allan coming on for Berlin with 15 minutes to go against Dotrmund on BT 3.

Berlin winning 1 nil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Allan coming on for Berlin with 15 minutes to go against Dotrmund on BT 3.

Berlin winning 1 nil.

Never realised he was so short. Dortmund down to 10 men now at 1-1, he might score the winner yet.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Never realised he was so short. Dortmund down to 10 men now at 1-1, he might score the winner yet.

Or get sent off.

Nasty little stamp if he meant it.

Or get sent off.

Nasty little stamp if he meant it.

Oh he meant it, that cheeky grin as he was backing away. :D

Not that I condone that sort of thing.

Oh he meant it, that cheeky grin as he was backing away. :D

Not that I condone that sort of thing.

He has innocent baby face.."Who Me" look down :p

He has innocent baby face.."Who Me" look down :p

He'll fit in well in the Premier League at least.

Now Stocker is gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Almost impossible to do without bias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Remarkable stat - we've run 80km more than United so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Speak Now wrote: »
    Almost impossible to do without bias.

As much as I dislike Keane he is a much better CM than Gerrard.

emmetkenny wrote: »

They're different types of midfielders though. Keane was way better defensively, and Gerrard was better offensively. Gerrard has a much worse team around him than Keane and still looked like a world class midfielder. That's some doing to be fair, especially in that position where you control the game.

It's really hard to say one is better than the other. They were both top class in their prime, just in different ways.

They're different types of midfielders though. Keane was way better defensively, and Gerrard was better offensively. Gerrard has a much worse team around him than Keane and still looked like a world class midfielder. That's some doing to be fair, especially in that position where you control the game.

It's really hard to say one is better than the other. They were both top class in their prime, just in different ways.

Yea that's true alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

mosstin wrote: »
    Remarkable stat - we've run 80km more than United so far this season.

That's nearly from Dublin to Portlaoise. Nearly - I mean who'd actually want to reach Portlaoise Dublin :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

That's nearly from Dublin to Portlaoise. Nearly - I mean who'd actually want to reach Portlaoise Dublin :p

Would be faster too, going on the traffic on the M7 these days.

Not a surprising stat though really given the 2 different managerial styles.
    Klopp with his Japanese beavers ultra-creative and work ethic versus Mourinho with his stoic more physically imposing, aerially strong (v us), grind it out philosophy.
    Neither right nor wrong but ours the kinder on the eye.

As for the Keane v Gerrard thing. I'd favour Vieira over Keane personally if we're talking about top class DCM's, which Gerrard was never.
    But chalk and cheese with Stevie v Keane/Vieira anyway.

One thing I'd say is that in the premier league era collectively we had a better midfield than they ever had. Xabi Alonso, Momo Sissoko, Gerrard, Mascherano..... I can hear the chant as I type it!

A central midfield like that not winning a league title is crazy.
    I miss Xabi.

Anyway.... I fancy us Monday. I think we have more momentum at the moment and while I'd always be wary of Mourinho's shrewdness I have enough faith in Klopp to at least match it and we have the sharper more in form players just at the mo, I think we'll edge it.
    2-1 Reds for me.

Would be faster too, going on the traffic on the M7 these days.

Not a surprising stat though really given the 2 different managerial styles.
    Klopp with his Japanese beavers ultra-creative and work ethic versus Mourinho with his stoic more physically imposing, aerially strong (v us), grind it out philosophy.
    Neither right nor wrong but ours the kinder on the eye.

As for the Keane v Gerrard thing. I'd favour Vieira over Keane personally if we're talking about top class DCM's, which Gerrard was never.
    But chalk and cheese with Stevie v Keane/Vieira anyway.

One thing I'd say is that in the premier league era collectively we had a better midfield than they ever had. Xabi Alonso, Momo Sissoko, Gerrard, Mascherano..... I can hear the chant as I type it!

A central midfield like that not winning a league title is crazy.
    I miss Xabi.

Anyway.... I fancy us Monday. I think we have more momentum at the moment and while I'd always be wary of Mourinho's shrewdness I have enough faith in Klopp to at least match it and we have the sharper more in form players just at the mo, I think we'll edge it.
    2-1 Reds for me.

I hate these games against them. Been on the wrong end too many times. Was over last season when with practically their only meaningful attempt they scored to mug us.
    Was reading the likes of Jonathan Wilson and Michael Cox confidently tipping us to win though. I'm never confident against them, regardless of form.

Don't know how I missed Souness, better than both.

Keane not fit to lace Souness boots

Required watching ahead of the game on Monday. Shows the majesty of John Barnes as well. His pass in the build up to the second goal especially was amazing. Same result on Monday would be quite decent.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Required watching ahead of the game on Monday. Shows the majesty of John Barnes as well. His pass in the build up to the second goal especially was amazing. Same result on Monday would be quite decent.

Ah, Steve McMahon - one of my favourite players of that era. Proper player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

mosstin wrote: »
    I hate these games against them. Been on the wrong end too many times. Was over last season when with practically their only meaningful attempt they scored to mug us.
    Was reading the likes of Jonathan Wilson and Michael Cox confidently tipping us to win though. I'm never confident against them, regardless of form.

Yeah I know what you mean. It often goes against form alright.

Remember us doing them 4-1 at OT? That actually came on the back of them winning 10 games in a row and Sky calling them invincible prior to the game.

94 mins later we had finished the game with Dossena coming on just to protect more important players and delivering a beauty of a lob.

It happens. You're right. Doesn't always follow form.

But I'd still prefer to be the in-form team than not. And that's us.

My apologies for the Vieira/Keane comment, I thought we were talking about the premier-league since Sky invented it era.

Yeah Souness would make Roy/Vieira his bitch, definitely.

Different times though.

Ben Woodburn set to sign a 3 year contract today on his 17th birthday. If that isn't living the dream, then I don't know what is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Gerrard has to go down as the best ever player for us.

How many times did he score crucial goals in big games?

The guy was phenomenal.

Charlie19 wrote: »

The guy was phenomenal.

He was phenomenal for sure but if you're saying best ever it's impossible to gauge. If you're talking crucial goals in big games think about league titles in the Rush/ Dalglish era. Dalglish alone Wembley 78 to Stamford Bridge 86.

Charlie19 wrote: »

The guy was phenomenal.

Dalglish!!!!

Agustin Davila from Uruguay heading to Liverpool for trial.

https://twitter.com/Musker_LFC/status/787013279755403265

Next Suarez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Seem on fb Liverpool have 8 games in Dec /Jan rescheduled to show on Tv .

Dalglish!!!!

Without a doubt.

• Advertisement

cjmc wrote: »

The 8 games are on TV? That's my Christmas sorted so :pac:

Gerrard was a fantastic player for us, but part of that was the longevity of his career, and I still struggle if I was to put him in our best team of the last 30ish years (so my proper memory basically). I'd probably have him in as a number 10. Based on their seasons I'd probably have something like this:

Reina
    Nicol
    Hanson
    Hyypia
    Finnan
    Mascherano
    Alonso
    Gerrard
    Fowler
    Rush
    Suarez

Might be a bit unbalanced though. No Souness as he left in 84 before so I can only sort of remember him, and Kenny was past his best and into player manager mode by this time.

Gerrard was a fantastic player for us, but part of that was the longevity of his career, and I still struggle if I was to put him in our best team of the last 30ish years (so my proper memory basically). I'd probably have him in as a number 10. Based on their seasons I'd probably have something like this:

Reina..................Grobbelaar
    Nicol
    Hanson
    Hyypia
    Finnan................Carragher
    Mascherano.........Souness
    Alonso/Barnes
    Gerrard...............Dalglish
    Fowler
    Rush
    Suarez

Might be a bit unbalanced though. No Souness as he left in 84 before so I can only sort of remember him, and Kenny was past his best and into player manager mode by this time.
    He was majestic. the only reason he isn't one of my favourite players is he left so early after only a few years.

He had it all. An eye for a pass, skill on the ball, great on defense and the ability to get dirty when it was needed. He was the most complete footballer I ever had the privilege of seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

cjmc wrote: »

It won't happen but the PL needs to take a stand on this nonsense - accept a lesser deal from BT and SKY but keep the schedule intact. If that happened they'd still get an outrageous sum, just slight less outrageous than would otherwise be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The 8 games are on TV? That's my Christmas sorted so :pac:

I think so , bar 2/3 on bt the rest on sky
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/239498-eight-liverpool-fixtures-changed-in-december-and-january

Can't link it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Why were they booing Barnes?

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »

No idea. I assume something happened early in the game (or a previous game) where he got away with a foul on a utd player or else something he said in the run up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dalglish!!!!

Right up there. I also highly rate Hansen. He doesn't get the credit as he was a defender but he's one of the best I have ever seen. Calmness personified.

In my time watching Liverpool I'd go with this as my best 11..

Grobbelaar

Nicol
    Hanson
    Lawrenson
    Beglin

Alonso
    Souness

Dalglish
    Suarez
    Barnes

Rush

Beglin had his career cut short due to injury but he was a top player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Gbear wrote: »

Because Utd fans reckon he had dived to get a penalty in the Charity Shield match the month before.

Enjoyed watching that, they played great but it makes me sad as well. Defending champions playing in their pomp but a few months later it all went to sh1te as Dalglish resigned, Hansen retired, Souness comes in sells Beardsey, McMahon and Houghton. Rips the soul out of the club and we haven't won the league since.
    Also, Utd went from strength to strength and dominated.
    Hope to see that fixed over the next couple of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Not sure if posted already, interesting piece on Sturridge who is 27 but still playing like a teenager. If we can just get him focused on his team performance we would have a world beater.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/oct/14/daniel-sturridge-liverpool-england-tunnel-vision

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement