Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

J Mysterio wrote: »
    As I said before, I think he can feel aggrieved not to have got a starting spot when Wijnaldum was then bought for what is essentially his position. I like Wijnaldum too though.

If Wijnaldum isn't fit for Monday night.

Who's in, Lucas or Can?

I'd choose Can myself, Just don't think Lucas would be up to it.
    I do like Lucas, comes across as a top lad but I just feel he'd be a liability in this type of game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Charlie19 wrote: »

Who's in, Lucas or Can?

I do like Lucas, comes across as a top lad but I just feel he'd be a liability in this type of game.

Really is a toughy alright...under normal circumstances Can, but he's still coming into fitness and hasn't actually been great in his cameos so far. This is such a big game to come into...have to admit i'd be tempted to side with Lucas to start, with Can to come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Matip will be glued to Zlatan I would guess.

Wijnaldum or Can's heads aren't at Fellaini elbows height. Although to be fair little Joe always seemed to have Fellaini in his pocket.

We now have players who can match physicality with teams that want to go that way.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Really is a toughy alright...under normal circumstances Can, but he's still coming into fitness and hasn't actually been great in his cameos so far. This is such a big game to come into...have to admit i'd be tempted to side with Lucas to start, with Can to come on.

There couldn't be much in it fitness wise and Can is a far better option than Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Just watching Moses playing for Chelsea and I just don't get how he was so poor for us a couple of seasons ago. He looks like he's trying now which he seemingly didn't do for us, unbelievable. He could have had a league winners medal but he looked like he was playing for a side battling relegation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Can get as much height into the team as possible plus can suits our style of play much more than Lucas does.

john why wrote: »
    Tony bellew has JFT96 on the back of his hoodie, class act

His post fight comments at/to/about Haye were brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Who's in, Lucas or Can?

Sturridge. Put Coutinho back in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Who's in, Lucas or Can?

Oh definitely Can. We should be looking at him being a big player in midfield for us for years. He has to grow into that role and make it his. He is the future and could really help this team push on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Augeo wrote: »

The whole thing was hilarious. I think he's been watching a bit too much WWE / McGregor.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »

So Lallana & Henderson behind Coutinho with Mane, Firmino & Sturridge as the front 3?

I could see that working if a fit Wij' or Can were partnering Henderson but I'm not sure about Lallana in that position.

8-10 wrote: »

If Lallana is out, I assumed that Sturridge would start anyways, so Coutinho would still be in his normal role.

Sturridge

Coutinho----Firmino
    Mane

Henderson---Can?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Hope he wins

He made an absolute idiot of himself after that fight.

He made a decent point about Haye conning the public or something along those lines :)

He clearly wants to fight Haye and I imagine Haye doesn't really fancy it despite his "knock him out with a jab" claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lucas a liability for these games? His was our best player at CB against Aguero in the CC final. If selected I think he would do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lucas a liability for these games? His was our best player at CB against Aguero in the CC final. If selected I think he would do well.

Ibrahimovic is a different animal altogether though, an entirely different skill set is needed to keep him quiet. Unless Matip sticks to Ibrahimovic like glue I'd fear for us if Lucas was up against him, he simply doesn't have the physicality for that battle.

People reckoning Can is a better option doesn't equate to reckoning Lucas is a liability.

The LFC of this season is starkly different to the LFC that played Man City in the final, can't see Klopp picking him at home to Utd unless Can is seriously not fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's not like Can has just come back to fitness. He's been kept out of the team primarily because we've been winning.

I think he's generally been good in these big games.

I wonder which of our players Jose will have targeted to get nailed in the first couple of minutes of this game...Firmino? Mane? Cos you know it's gonna happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Anyone see Ibe's performance for Bournemouth today? Thought he was outstanding, glad we have a buyback clause on him because he's definitely improving this season.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    It's not like Can has just come back to fitness. He's been kept out of the team primarily because we've been winning.

I think he's generally been good in these big games.

He's looked very rusty any time he's come on but people forget how good he is when in form because he hasn't played regularly for a while now. When is the last time he started a game? The one he was injured in before the Europa League final? Did he start the final? I can't remember...

martyos121 wrote: »
    Anyone see Ibe's performance for Bournemouth today? Thought he was outstanding, glad we have a buyback clause on him because he's definitely improving this season.

He's stopped just running into people all the time then? I'm glad for him. Hope he does well there.

Who's in, Lucas or Can?

People reckoning Can is a better option doesn't equate to reckoning Lucas is a liability.

The LFC of this season is starkly different to the LFC that played Man City in the final, can't see Klopp picking him at home to Utd unless Can is seriously not fit.
    I would pick Can too. But someone did say Lucas would be a liability.

Mane I think will be key on Monday. At Southampton he was brillant against the top teams.

Think he got Sponge Bob and Sideshow Bob mixed up.

https://twitter.com/KOKINGS4/status/787412906438692865

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Most players tend to look better when they take a step down to a lower level team.

..unless you're Wilshere, then you're just bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

I'd start Grujic ahead of Lucas or Can. Moreno starting and Milner in MF is tempting but with our failings on set pieces lanky prudence is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

ElTel wrote: »
    I'd start Grujic ahead of Lucas or Can. Moreno starting and Milner in MF is tempting but with our failings on set pieces lanky prudence is needed.

I think Lanky Prudence is out on loan somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Agree. His entire persona makes him seem like an absolute gobshite to me. Great fight from him, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ElTel wrote: »

Grujic is far from ready at this stage for this type of game. When he's that bit deeper in midfield, games tend to pass him by thus far. He's young yet, but this really isn't the game for him. I'd actually start Ejaria ahead of him.

We know what Can can do...hopefully if he starts he can turn around his more recent form pretty quickly and show what he's done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

It's just like Christmas eve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He's stopped just running into people all the time then? I'm glad for him. Hope he does well there.

I saw the highlights and while Shearer highlighted his contribution it struck me that Ibe did a lot of running with the ball without much actual product - he still hasn't scored nor even assisted a goal and yet again he was subbed after about an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Wrongly. Whats so strange is he really seems like a Klopp player.
    If he was a good bit taller, he would be. Klopp seems to favour tall, strong players to win the physical battle.
    Mane I think will be key on Monday. At Southampton he was brillant against the top teams.
    Mane to be rested for this one so?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I had a dream last night that we started Moreno ahead of Milner and then we got a penalty and didn't know what to do with it so just passed it back to the keeper.

I had a dream last night that we started Moreno ahead of Milner and then we got a penalty and didn't know what to do with it so just passed it back to the keeper.

Lol!

Sounds about right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

On Thursday at Liverpool's Melwood base, discussion temporarily turned away from Manchester United and towards the amplified fervour Jose Mourinho's side are about to walk into at Anfield. Or, rather, one curious aspect of that fervour: the Jurgen Klopp masks. The German was asked about the amount of them being worn by fans, and responded with the jocularity that has been such a part of it all.

"I don't like my face too much, so I would not wear a mask with it!"

Gotta love this guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

With some favourable results yesterday this could be a great weekend for Liverpool. If we win by 2 or more goals we go top on goal difference. I am very hopeful of a win but experience warns me not to get too hopeful. Utd under Ferguson would always up their game against us and form went out the window. However, Utd under Mourinho is a different kettle of fish. I think we will win but I would like to see a clean sheet against them. A win would be massive for us, whereas should we lose to them it could be catastrophic for morale. "Could be" mind.

Klopp too is a different kettle of fish, and we are stronger with him in charge. Stronger than we have seen in a long, long time. If we do lose, we have no better man in charge to pick us up and go again, of that I am sure. I just hope the damn International break hasn't broken our stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Blondie919 wrote: »
    With some favourable results yesterday this could be a great weekend for Liverpool. If we win by 2 or more goals we go top on goal difference. I am very hopeful of a win but experience warns me not to get too hopeful. Utd under Ferguson would always up their game against us and form went out the window. However, Utd under Mourinho is a different kettle of fish. I think we will win but I would like to see a clean sheet against them. A win would be massive for us, whereas should we lose to them it could be catastrophic for morale. "Could be" mind.

Klopp too is a different kettle of fish, and we are stronger with him in charge. Stronger than we have seen in a long, long time. If we do lose, we have no better man in charge to pick us up and go again, of that I am sure. I just hope the damn International break hasn't broken our stride.

Even if we lose its not the end of the world. Will still be on 2 ppg after 8 games. Will have played more away games than anyone in the league and will have played arsenal, spurs, Chelsea,utd and Leicester. I certainly won't be overreacting if we lose. Things are on the up its clear to see like all teams there will be setbacks along the way but there is now a clear plan and a plan I think is working. I'd be fairly confident we will be in the mix come the turn of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

My main concern is that they'll target Karius in the air by using Fellaini and Ibra as battering rams against the goalkeeper, and Karius hasn't exactly been convincing under a high ball so far. Aside from that, I think we have a far superior team at the moment and if we play to our capabilities, we'll win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Even if we lose its not the end of the world. Will still be on 2 ppg after 8 games. Will have played more away games than anyone in the league and will have played arsenal, spurs, Chelsea,utd and Leicester. I certainly won't be overreacting if we lose. Things are on the up its clear to see like all teams there will be setbacks along the way but there is now a clear plan and a plan I think is working. I'd be fairly confident we will be in the mix come the turn of the year.

Good point, I do believe even if we lose it'll be just a minor blip and that Klopp will get them going next week and probably batter WBA, I can't see a slump setting in with Klopp at the helm, he just won't allow it!
    PropJoe10 wrote: »
    My main concern is that they'll target Karius in the air by using Fellaini and Ibra as battering rams against the goalkeeper, and Karius hasn't exactly been convincing under a high ball so far. Aside from that, I think we have a far superior team at the moment and if we play to our capabilities, we'll win.

That's a valid concern alright on what we've seen with Karius so far(I'm not writing him off), I wouldn't be against playing Mignolet in all honesty, beter the devil you know and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Good point, I do believe even if we lose it'll be just a minor blip and that Klopp will get them going next week and probably batter WBA, I can't see a slump setting in with Klopp at the helm, he just won't allow it!

Absolutely agree with that. If we lose any game he will get us back up with a vengeance. I do actually think we'll win, I'm just being cautious about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Arguably played his best as more or less another forward with Torres, but the 2013/2014 season saw him score 13 goals in 34 top flight league games as a very deep lying CM at 33 years old.

You won't find too many midfielders who excel in contrasting positions like that :)

Gerrard was a better tackler than Xabi of course and there's not much between them in their passing game.

Pretty sure all but one of those 13 were penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

It's just like Christmas eve

Except we're expecting the visit of Freddie Krueger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yea true. We play United next though.
    But going forward it will be good to see that trend continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

noodler wrote: »

Header vs Everton
    Free Kick vs Hull

from the top of my head.

noodler wrote: »

10 were from the spot that season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

10 were from the spot that season.

And at least one free kick as well. We got a lot of pens that season, on course to top it by a long way this season at the current rate.

5starpool wrote: »
    And at least one free kick as well. We got a lot of pens that season, on course to top it by a long way this season at the current rate.

I hope we do because it seems to drive opposition fans up the wall.

And we have a Man City player who can convert them as well! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

FitzShane wrote: »
    Header vs Everton
    Free Kick vs Hull

from the top of my head.

Aye the Everton header was the one I was thinking of.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement