Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This has potential to be a huge score
    5-6-7-8 . . Can see us winning if we don't lose or draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Has Karius been confirmed as starting?

Honestly I'd probably have Mignolet in there quicker, better the devil you know etc... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I would be nervous of Karius coming for crosses, he doesn't seem confident enough as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Fieldog wrote: »
    Has Karius been confirmed as starting?

Honestly I'd probably have Mignolet in there quicker, better the devil you know etc... :)

Nobody likes a copycat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

With the dead balls and crosses being the weakest aspect of Liverpool's game I'd expect/hope Matip and Klavan to be in front of Karius. It's very bad to starting picking and dropping keepers - more than any other position they need to be picked until they are so bad they have to be dropped or injured otherwise developing a coherent understanding in that triangle is almost impossible.

Nobody likes a copycat!

Just saw that, apologies, it's Sunday and I'm still not fully alive at 4:25PM... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So who do we think will start in goal?

We have to keepers who might have a mare but it wouldn't be a good idea to start yoyoing them now.

For better or worse it's stick with Karius time now I think.

Mignolet has done this match enough times at this stage, I think it may be a bit much to put Karius in...

I'm kind of thinking of De Gea howlers in early days, it will probably take a bit of time for Karius to settle, it will be interesting to see who Klopp goes with, I won't question his decision... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Easy decision to stick with Karius in my opinion. The better the devil you know argument doesn't really work when you know that devil isn't good enough

• Advertisement

That defeat to Burnley looks worse with every passing week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

They're decent at home, beat us and Everton and Arsenal robbed them in the last minute, they seem crap away, we'll make em pay at Anfield!

Klopp won't drop karius ..... karius will be between the sticks unless he goes through a horrible spell worse than anything Mig has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

They are a home and away team. They have conceded just 3 goals in 5 home games. 2 of those with the last kick of the game. Their limitations get exposed away from home. The last time they were in the PL utd spurs and city all failed to score there. Its a tough place to go arsenal created hardly any chances against them the other week. They are shocking away from home though.

I think Klopp gas gone with Karius by the looks of his Facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/loriskarius/photos/a.186327048058088.47475.185688741455252/1318819291475519/?type=3&fs=1

Not sure if you need to be on FB to see it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fieldog wrote: »
    I think Klopp gas gone with Karius by the looks of his Facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/loriskarius/photos/a.186327048058088.47475.185688741455252/1318819291475519/?type=3&fs=1

Not sure if you need to be on FB to see it...

I believe in his talents but I hope he's careful under the high ball. #YNWA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

So who do we think will start in goal?

We have to keepers who might have a mare but it wouldn't be a good idea to start yoyoing them now.

Agreed. It would be great if we could field an unchanged back 5 for a run of games to properly bed in the defence and keeper.

vs Derby : Karius, Clyne, Moreno, Klavan, Matip
    vs Hull : Karius, Clyne, Milner, Klavan, Matip
    vs Swansea : Karius, Clyne, Milner, Lovren, Matip

I haven't checked but I don't think we have started the same back 5 in two consecutive games yet this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I would be nervous of Karius coming for crosses, he doesn't seem confident enough as yet.

Bit of a vampire thing going on, hating crosses and killer hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

God im so nervous for tomorrow. Utd games always give me butterflies, and this one seems to be the most tense in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Vicxas wrote: »
    God im so nervous for tomorrow. Utd games always give me butterflies, and this one seems to be the most tense in years.

It's because we are favorites, we have something to lose and would be especially bad to lose to smug puss in charge of that lot.
    I hope we don't start like we did against Swansea, and perhaps the prolonged break from Int duty will help in terms of energy levels. If we start well I don't think we will lose.
    Would favour Lucas in this one, shielding in front of Ibra with Matip and Lovren behind. I hope Mourinho is not adventurous (unlikely) and keeps the quicker / younger players on the bench. In that case the 2 of Hendo/Coutinho pressing ahead of Lucas and Firmino Sturidge and Mane will be too much for em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

garra wrote: »
    It's because we are favorites, we have something to lose and would be especially bad to lose to smug puss in charge of that lot.
    I hope we don't start like we did against Swansea, and perhaps the prolonged break from Int duty will help in terms of energy levels. If we start well I don't think we will lose.
    Would favour Lucas in this one, shielding in front of Ibra with Matip and Lovren behind. I hope Mourinho is not adventurous (unlikely) and keeps the quicker / younger players on the bench. In that case the 2 of Hendo/Coutinho pressing ahead of Lucas and Firmino Sturidge and Mane will be too much for em.

I don't know what it is to experience confidence going in against this lot. Awful thing to have but there ya go. I think it's that defeat hurts so much against them that I refuse to get my hopes up too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

The only time I was confident of a win was 13/14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

martyos121 wrote: »
    I believe in his talents but I hope he's careful under the high ball. #YNWA

Apparently from his stats he's best sticking to his line for crosses because he's crap dealing with them.

Was feeling confident until I listened to the Under Pressure Podcast about our defending crosses stats, not good with United, Palace and Brom coming up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

K-9 wrote: »
    Apparently from his stats he's best sticking to his line for crosses because he's crap dealing with them.

Was feeling confident until I listened to the Under Pressure Podcast about our defending crosses stats, not good with United, Palace and Brom coming up.

I was only taking the piss out of the comments in that FB link with that. :pac:

Didnt know that though, that's an important skill for a goalkeeper and if he's that bad at it, I'd be seriously hoping he puts massive work into that area. Look at the way Courtois and Neuer come for crosses and start counter attacks, it's crucial to have a keeper who's good in the air these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Worried about Utd's height tonight.. Fellani will come in also... I think we'll need to score 2 to win this match as I think Utd will deffo score from a corner :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Think I'll give that match thread a miss......I never really enjoy these games, its a bit weird as these should be the most exciting, but even when we win I can only enjoy it when the game is finished, always on edge with them.......

Anyway as long as we dont lose I'll be happy enough, I feel we have more than enough to beat them but you can never really predict these games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Klopp spent his Sunday morning off watching youth football in Liverpool

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Cowan/status/787691289508769796

K-9 wrote: »
    Apparently from his stats he's best sticking to his line for crosses because he's crap dealing with them..............

If that's the case we should really see Utd playing plenty balls to Ibra' and Fellaini. No harm to see how we cope with it.

As the season goes on teams will look for ways to nullify our strengths so we might well need to deal with teams that have an aerial attack option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Karius. Clyne. Matip. Lovren. Moreno. Can. Milner. Henderson. Coutinho. Mane. Firmino.

Seen this is a rumoured team. Can understand trying to get height & strength into the team but moving Milner to CM from LB is a bit of a change. He was doing well at LB too. Moreno....well we all know what to expect there. plenty energy & width but headless. perhaps Klopp thinks we can get at Valencia on that side attack wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If both Wijnaldum & Lallana are out I can see Milner being moved to CM. Klopp probably wants someone who can cover huge distances 11-12KM & Lucas would not be able to do that not sure if Grujic can either. Also Moreno would have the pace to deal with Rashford if he was out on the right or Lingard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

FitzShane wrote: »
    Karius. Clyne. Matip. Lovren. Moreno. Can. Milner. Henderson. Coutinho. Mane. Firmino.

Seen this is a rumoured team. Can understand trying to get height & strength into the team but moving Milner to CM from LB is a bit of a change. He was doing well at LB too. Moreno....well we all know what to expect there. plenty energy & width but headless. perhaps Klopp thinks we can get at Valencia on that side attack wise?

I hope not, but I can understand why Klopp might go for it.
    Realistically, Moreno should be able to slot in at left-back and do Milner's job, Milner into Lallana's role and Can into Wijnaldums. Means less adjustment for the rest of the players and keeps our in form attack intact.
    Adding in Lucas, Stewart, Grujic, Sturridge, etc would see a few players moved around all parts of the team disrupted.
    And, as you say, maybe the plan is to get Moreno in at Valencia to try create opportunities?
    A big strength for United is their crossing and their height - we will need to keep crossing to a minimum if we can...
    Not saying I necessarily agree with the decision (if its this one that Klopp goes for) but I can see the logic behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

NukaCola wrote: »
    Think I'll give that match thread a miss

It's already a train wreck and the game is still 8 hours away.

Any comments I make on the match will be in here until it's over.

If that is the team it makes sense not to break up the front 3 unless one of them in injured.

Milner is a very good replacement for Lallana as he too can run all day.

Can then steps in for Wijnaldum.

Starting Moreno makes no huge difference to the defence because even when he doesn't play we still concede goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Huge opportunity for Moreno if he starts tonight.....I fear the worst personally, in an emotional high pressure game all I can predict is he'll lose the head a few times but I hope to be proven wrong......not a fan of Milner in CM but I'm sure Klopp has his plan mapped out well.....

Huge game with a big chance to lay down the marker early into the season about how Klopp and the team want to progress, but at the end of the day a bad result should not mean panic.

After tonight we'll have played all but Manchester City in last seasons top 5 once already in 8 games and regardless of the result we'll be on at least 2 ppg. Thats pretty decent taking into consideration our start.

All that being said I would still hate to be beaten though :pac:.....

Wouldn't like to see Milner moved. He's doing well. If needs must I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Can't see Moreno starting tonight. He does not have the temperament for a game like this.

Also, having been out for a while, he would be over-zealous to make an impression but it will inevitably be a bad one.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Can't see Moreno starting tonight. He does not have the temperament for a game like this.

Also, having been out for a while, he would be over-zealous to make an impression but it will inevitably be a bad one.

Like being awarded a penalty and not knowing what do it, so just pass it back to the keeper!

Don't want to see Moreno in a big game. And if he plays you can be sure United will target him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Hope this is the week leaking the team has been building up to gini and lallana are not confirmed out are they ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NukaCola wrote: »
    Huge opportunity for Moreno if he starts tonight.....I fear the worst personally, in an emotional high pressure game all I can predict is he'll lose the head a few times but I hope to be proven wrong......not a fan of Milner in CM but I'm sure Klopp has his plan mapped out well.....

Huge game with a big chance to lay down the marker early into the season about how Klopp and the team want to progress, but at the end of the day a bad result should not mean panic.

After tonight we'll have played all but Manchester City in last seasons top 5 once already in 8 games and regardless of the result we'll be on at least 2 ppg. Thats pretty decent taking into consideration our start.

All that being said I would still hate to be beaten though :pac:.....

Tonight is far from do or die, I completely agree. It is the kind of game that builds or scuttles momentum however, and is an 'occasion' match under lights on a Monday evening. A loss is going to hurt, make no mistake.

There is no way Klopp is starting Moreno in this IMO.
    Completely a non runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

sword1 wrote: »
    Hope this is the week leaking the team has been building up to gini and lallana are not confirmed out are they ?

Perhaps.

There hasn't been much leaking of the team under Klopp, has there. The again, most of our games have been early KOs

Perhaps.

There hasn't been much leaking of the team under Klopp, has there. The again, most of our games have been early KOs

This season there's either been a bit of it or some correct guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Perhaps.

Its regularly getting posted correctly on a lot of the fantasy football forums.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Tonight is far from do or die, I completely agree. It is the kind of game that builds or scuttles momentum however, and is an 'occasion' match under lights on a Monday evening. A loss is going to hurt, make no mistake.

Yep for sure.

Everyone obviously wants to win but losing while not a disaster would definitely be a blow.

A draw wouldn't upset me whatsoever

A draw is probably the most likely result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Its regularly getting posted correctly on a lot of the fantasy football forums.

Because the side is becoming more settled and it is easier to guess who will start the game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Jayus, Moreno won't start tonight lads, no fecking way! I would prefer James to stay put and add Lucas as cover with Can as the muscle in the center of the park.

Not difficult to see how United could get a decent result out of this game. Mourinho knows how to set up a team to go away from home and defend, break up play and frustrate the home side. De Gea could do De Gea things and make a number of great saves. And United have some very big players in their side so are going to be a threat from set-pieces.

Hopefully we can start fast, use the energy from the crowd and get ahead.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement