Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

Thought Coutinho was very good tonight playing further back.

Would like to see him played there more often, he's not a front 3 ish player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I hope to fcuk Sturridge never starts a game again for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

dogbert27 wrote: »
    See people criticising Karius now.

Karius, Mignolet, Bogden, Jones, Reina all criticised over the last 6 years.

Common denominator goalkeeping coach John Achterberg.

Karius done nothing wrong he just looked nervous, we all did to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

NukaCola wrote: »
    Much better with Lallana on.......not a good sign for Sturridge.....

Henderson is the problem not Sturridge!
    I think it's a mixture. Cou had to play deeper to get the ball as well. Once Adam came in the Cou had a more attack minded role. I think Hendo was good. Emre lost the ball a few times in the first half but was more composed in the second.
    So it's a mixture really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Re Karius
    Yes he was poor tonight , but keepers need to play through this to come out stronger , he is the short to medium future for good or bad , gotta see it work itself out , going back to Mignolet is a mistake even if Karius currently looks no better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

De gea was the difference. We broke through their lines a few times and could've won it by 2 on another day.

No need to be downbeat after that.

Pukeball by utd.

We would've lost that game in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sturridge hating is a bit ridiculous to be fair. There was no space. Liverpool played in their own half for most of the first half. You could see he was working, always moving in to space. He (and Mane, Firmino) was against a back four with another block of four between him and the midfield of Coutinho, Henderson, Can.

He didnt last the match, but he got through a good amount of work. I do think Firmino should be the focal point of the attack though, for sure. His skill, timing and work rate make him a fantastic pivot for the team to work.

ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Gbear wrote: »
    I suppose we shouldn't be surprised at how cowardly a performance that was by the ref after the waffle about him before the match.

He could have done little more to play into Utd's hands.

I was wondering if he'd just forgotten to bring his cards with him when he eventually booked Bailly in a token gesture designed the hide the fact he wanted to have nothing more than a quiet monday evening.

Utd had carte blanche to piss about, disrupt play and foul us up and down the place because of how spineless he was.
    That kind of reffing will always hamper the team trying to play and massively favour the ones with absolutely no ambition.

Ah come on, he was under pressure, for no reason and gave Utd 4 yellows.

People knew Utd were going to do this, they are now a negative team.

We lacked creativity in first half and did missed Lallana and Wijnaldum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Frustrating match but United had no interest in playing ball. They suck the joy out of football with their style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Impact sub time I think...well if Lallana, Mane, Firmino and Coutinto are fit then they will be used with Sturridge coming on with 30-20 minutes left. I guess Lallana was not fully fit so was not started.

You really turn me off this thread and make it unreadable.

Impact sub time I think...well if Lallana, Mane, Firmino and Coutinto are fit then they will be used with Sturridge coming on with 30-20 minutes left. I guess Lallana was not fully fit so was not started.

I agree bring him on with 20 minutes to go as the impact sub.

He should never start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can played well I thought......rusty but decent enough...

Started rusty but grew into the game in the second half, very tough game to come back into for him.

The difference when lallana came on was night and day, much more fluid and interchanging happening and we finally got at Uniteds defence then. Hard to see Sturridge being anything more than a sub barring injuries in the league from now.

• Advertisement

Re Karius
    Yes he was poor tonight , but keepers need to play through this to come out stronger , he is the short to medium future for good or bad , gotta see it work itself out , going back to Mignolet is a mistake even if Karius currently looks no better

There's fûck all difference in them though. What was the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

utd got what they came for,its on us to beat them at old trafford ,they surely cant play so defensive there again

Lads how was Klarius poor? I thought he was alright, didn't have to do a lot but definitely saw a lot of the ball.
    What am I missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Can played well I thought......rusty but decent enough...

Dunno what people expect.

It's near enough his first proper game in 6 months.

He didn't look sharp but the core of his game shined through and he was effective enough despite being a bit slow off the mark at times, not least with how he helped create Firmino's chance and his own brilliant piece of play for his own.

Thought everyone was pretty good in tough circumstances, except maybe Sturridge.
    If it's difficult to get the ball, fair enough, but he just was not at all good enough when he did eventually get it.
    No acceleration, poor first touch, hesitant. I dunno what to make of him.

Even with the physical problems he should be able to take the ball under pressure, turn players, link play.
    It's not like he got a token 5 minutes at the end and was throwing a huff.
    I'd agree that Ings and Origi are more deserving of chances at this point.

It's not that I don't think there's any way back for Sturridge, but we have one lad who's a unit, mobile and showed a lot of promise, and another who's actually on form, albeit at a lower level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

murpho999 wrote: »

We lacked creativity in first half and did missed Lallana and Wijnaldum.

What are you on about?

United's last two league games were anything but negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Sturridge hating is a bit ridiculous to be fair.

People really need to separate a negative observation to hate.

One post can be construed as hateful, hardly ridiculous.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If mourinho's game plan worked and he got what he wanted in a draw then that says more about them than us, a draw against big rivals isn't bad for us anyway, we're in a much better position than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Awful game but that's what mourinho brings.

Karius - very nervous. Needs more time before being judged. Keeper is a confidence position.

Henderson - awful. Safe option over and over.

Can - rusty.

Mane - hesitant and poor

Sturridge - has no confidence in himself and his body. Close to the end.

The rest were average.

We move on. End of the day mourinho fears what klopp and this team can do and set up accordingly. 17pts from 8 games is very good. Test is when West Brom set up the same.

It was great to see Matip & Lovren stand up to that and basically put utd's long ball attack in their pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

What are you on about?

Doesn't count for much tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

You really turn me off this thread and make it unreadable.

Really? One poster makes this whole thread unreadable for you? :confused::rolleyes:

What are you on about?

Utd came for a draw, created nothing and their soul aim was to nullify Liverpool.

That's negative play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

The most depressing thing about watching that game is knowing that West Brom are going to do exactly the same thing next week.

We still don't seem to have a plan to break down a team that parks the bus.

How does that in any way justify his perfomance?

Their bookings ended up being for silly ****e - a non foul from Bailly, a nothing takcle late on from Ibrahimovic, dissent from Young and Fellaini booting the ball away.

He did nothing to address the persistent and often cynical fouling from the likes of Blind, Herrera and Fellaini and getting away with that was the bedrock of Utd's gameplan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

While the attack looked poor until Lallana came on, I thought today showed just how much Wijnaldum linked up midfield and attack. Can's play was very disjointed in the first half but at least in the second half he started making runs with the ball. But for fast transition Wijnaldum is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

There's fûck all difference in them though. What was the point?
    Mignolet is a busted flush , Karius might come good with time , gotta play through his learning curve .

What did Karius do wrong ? He flapped at a couple , distribution was poor , no communication with the back 4 . Basically Mignolet mark 2 , but he's only played a couple of games , finally has a clean sheet , couple of more and he might grow into the role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I look forward to the day where United will have to cope without De Gea. His presence alone is absolutely huge.

Looks like our luck in that department won't be getting any better either. Karius seems to be very unpredictable, which isn't a good thing. Mig was playing fairly well all things considered when he was dropped so I wouldn't mind seeing him come back in.

Utd came for a draw, created nothing and their soul aim was to nullify Utd.

That's negative play.

So we were negative tonight, got a point away to a team completely in form looking to top the league, positive in the last two matches and got 4 points.

How does that in any way justify his perfomance?

Their bookings ended up being for silly ****e - a non foul from Bailly, a nothing takcle late on from Ibrahimovic, dissent from Young and Fellaini booting the ball away.

He did nothing to address the persistent and often cynical fouling from the likes of Blind, Herrera and Fellaini and getting away with that was the bedrock of Utd's gameplan.

What you're caling cynical other's would call clever.

The ref is not the reason for the result tonight so I don't know what you're trying to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sturridge was like a spare dick at an orgy tonight.

Hopefully lallana comes back in from the start on saturday.

Positive to finally keep a clean sheet and lovren and matip handled ibra very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

It's hilarious watching Utd fans defend negative tactics and time wasting from about the 10th minute when you know it's really killing them on the inside. I love it.

There's f ck all difference in them though. What was the point?
    Mignolet is a busted flush , Karius might come good with time , gotta play through his learning curve .

What did Karius do wrong ? He flapped at a couple , distribution was poor , no communication with the back 4 . Basically Mignolet mark 2 , but he's only played a couple of games , finally has a clean sheet , couple of more and he might grow into the role

I thought his distribution was ok...Mig would only be hoofing it back to them all the time.
    It takes time but I am willing to give him a try.

...... but we have one lad who's a unit, mobile and showed a lot of promise, and another who's actually on form, albeit at a lower level.

Origi had a purple patch last season, to get anywhere near that level again he'll need games. Can't see him getting too many games this season.

• Advertisement

So we were negative tonight, got a point away to a team completely in form looking to top the league, positive in the last two matches and got 4 points.

But it's Liverpool and Liverpool are rubbish and according to most on the Utd thread today Utd have better players than Liverpool. Also Liverpool are weak in defence and give goals away in set pieces.

That was the most negative Utd performance I've ever seen at Anfield and if that type of play keeps up the Utd fans will turn against Mourinho, it's not how Utd fans are used to them playing.

The ref is not the reason for the result tonight so I don't know what you're trying to achieve.

You seem to think everyone's comments are trying to achieve something or have an agenda.

But as has been said before about your posts murpho999 they come off very aggressive even if you don't mean them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Augeo wrote: »
    Origi had a purple patch last season, to get anywhere near that level again he'll need games. Can't see him getting too many games this season.

Yea, last season he got some Europa games.....just not enough games this season......and I'd still have Danny over Origi and I'd say Klopp would too so thats less games again.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

What are you on about?

United's possession tonight was 35%. The lowest possession stat in Man Uniteds premier league history.

Negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

A broken clock still tells good time twice a day!

What are you on about?
    If a player gets away from you you sometimes take a professional foul to avoid a goalscoring opportunity and are happy to pay the price.

Being physical, trying to get about teams... there's nothing wrong with that.

But there's a tradeoff, and that's in the form of the referee's notebook.
    If he just doesn't turn up that completely changes the dynamic of the game, where one team is playing to one set of rules and the other is playing to another.

Maybe we should be going into games assuming the refs will make **** up as they go along, but I'd rather hope we just get someone who's not afraid to do their job.

He was ****e. It warranted being commented on.
    If you want a % figure for exactly how much it screwed us over in the game, I can't give you one.

• Advertisement

You seem to think everyone's comments are trying to achieve something or have an agenda.

But as has been said before about your posts murpho999 they come off very aggressive even if you don't mean them too.

I have no idea what you're talking about as I don't post nearly as much here as I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

The most depressing thing about watching that game is knowing that West Brom are going to do exactly the same thing next week.

We still don't seem to have a plan to break down a team that parks the bus.

Liverpool seem not to possess the skill to overcome Man Utd's physicality.

But Liverpool and Liverpool are rubbish and according to most on the Utd thread today Utd have better players than Liverpool. Also Liverpool are weak in defence and give goals away in set pieces.

That was the most negative Utd performance I've ever seen at Anfield and if that type of play keeps up the Utd fans will turn against Mourinho, it's not how Utd fans are used to them playing.

Who said that? A tiny minority maybe, And by your own fans admission Liverpool are weak in defence and set pieces, Karius had a couple of crosses to deal with and looked brutal for them all I thought.

lol, his posts are anything but aggressive.

Who said that? A tiny minority maybe, And by your own fans admission Liverpool are weak in defence and set pieces, Karius had a couple of crosses to deal with and looked brutal for them all I thought.

It was said today in the Utd thread.

If Karius was deemed as a weakness, which certainly looks a possibility then I don't understand why Utd did not try to exploit that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement