Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Just to add to the Mourinho hypocrisy, he said he'd follow the United tradition of bringing through youth. First transfer window he buys Bailly for 30 million and sells McNair, a youth player that Van Gaal was bringing through.

I wouldn't be too harsh their anything I saw of McNair was championship level at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

wonder does the niasse deal mean palace are pulling out of benteke deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I don't think anyone he is getting rid of us being hard done by, but he should shut up about bringing kids through, cause all he has ever done is buy his teams, usually on top of a very good team when he arrived at the club...

wonder does the niasse deal mean palace are pulling out of benteke deal

Given the lack of impact he had in 6 months at Everton, I think Benteke is a mush more solid purchase, someone who will definitely get you goals, and Palace can obviously afford him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

s.welstead wrote: »
    Such a welcoming bunch really. I question the childish nature of a post and this is the kind of response I get. Cool, nice to know the level of some posters in here.

I took the trouble of explaining very clearly the patent error in your post, and your misunderstanding of the comment that you questioned, in perfectly polite terms earlier, and yet here you are still, flouncing around in a tantrum. Obtuseness rarely attracts such patience around here, I suggest you count your blessings and move on with what little dignity remains to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think Benteke is a mush

I agree :pac:

NukaCola wrote: »
    I agree :pac:

Yeh, I saw that typo and thought "Ah, it's good!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

corwill wrote: »
    I took the trouble of explaining very clearly the patent error in your post, and your misunderstanding of the comment that you questioned, in perfectly polite terms earlier, and yet here you are still, flouncing around in a tantrum. Obtuseness rarely attracts such patience around here, I suggest you count your blessings and move on with what little dignity remains to you.

A beautifully put PFO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe Klopp has decided to keep him and told him so, then again who'd sign for a Turkish club right now esp if they could sign elsewhere?

As I suspected

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-midfielder-lucas-galatasaray-switch-8600534
    Jurgen Klopp has blocked Galatasaray's bid to sign Lucas from Liverpool.

Gala felt they had a deal in place to sign Lucas, who is Liverpool's longest-serving player, and were waiting for him to give them his decision.

But Klopp has vetoed the Brazilian midfielder's departure because he is worried it would have left him short because of his various injury concerns.

Gala's sporting director Levent Nazifoglu said: "We are no longer pursuing Lucas Leiva.

"We will continue efforts to sign alternative names instead."

Marko Grujic has been brought in and plays a similar position to Lucas, while the German also has Emre Can, Jordan Henderson and James Milner at his disposal.

But with Milner and Grujic doubtful for the opener with Arsenal, Klopp has pulled the plug on the deal.
    Marko Grujic has been brought in and plays a similar position to Lucas

Eh? :confused::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

A lot of people, including many of our own fans, seem to be overestimating our rivals, and underestimating our own team.

I've seen our own fans predicting us to come 6th or below.

Pathetic.

There is no reason, with Klopp at the helm, and the type of player he has bought, and with no Europe, that we shouldn't have a proper go, and get top 4. or at least get damn fúcking close.

We've now got direct attackers to compliment the likes of Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana. Mané and Wijnaldum, while not the names everyone wanted, are the exactly the type of attacking player we needed. We'll now score goals.

We're not reliant on Sturridge, which is wonderful.
    Klopp has already transformed Origi to a degree.
    We've not seen Ings really yet.

I like the look of this team, and I can't wait for the season to start. We could do with more solidity, but we'll get there. A new LB would solve a lot.

Don't believe the hype about the rivals either.

Guardiola has never been in a league that's not a two-horse race.
    Mourinho has the CV, but you can't ignore the end of the last Chelsea tenure (before lurkers point out the Klopp's last season was a dud, I know. You shouldn't be 'scared' of Klopp, and we shouldn't be 'scared' of Mourinho).
    Wenger is pretty much a beaten docket at the top level at this stage. Until they get someone new, there's nothing to be scared of there.
    Conte made Juve successful, and brought some hope to Italy, while winning sweet FA. Big whoop. Again, nothing to fear.
    Spurs haven't proved a thing yet.
    Leicester don't have the squad to juggle everything, surely.

I'm not saying we shouldn't respect these teams and managers. We should. Absolutely. But there is literally no reason to fear any of them. We shouldn't assume any of them will finish above us this season. That's defeatist, and honestly, complete nonsense.

If you can't be at all hopeful at the start of a season, then why the fúck bother?

Bring it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Only 4 sleeps till christmas, I mean ford super Sunday.

Everton upgrading Stones by buying Williams and making a 35M+ profit was smart enough business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

NukaCola wrote: »
    Everton upgrading Stones by buying Williams and making a 35M+ profit was smart enough business.

It really was!

IMO the Stones deal is far more insane than the Pogba one - at least Pogba is already a very very accomplished player, and one of the best in the world in his position. Stones is still all potential. For 50m, you shouldn't just be getting the finished article, you should be getting the best finished article in the game at centre back. Instead he's a very good footballer, and an alright defender. I do think Pep can turn him into a better player, but the money for what you're getting is nuts.

Grujic is a quite different player, but 1000% yes, an improvement. He has the ability to form a really good partnership with Can, or even a trio with Wijnaldum or Hendo. Very skillful for a big man, has already shown he can finish, and a monster!

First game of the season, teamsheet for the Arsenal match. If I had to pick whether Lucas or Grujic starts in CM, it would be Lucas every day of the week.

Grujic looks like he has something about him, but to be honest in our tougher preseason games I wasn't impressed at all. Especially in the one I was at, V Chelsea, he was the worst midfielder on the pitch - Ejaria head and shoulders ahead of him in that game. Not to be too negative, Grujic has only just arrived, but if we're comparing to one of our veteran stalwarts, there's only one winner imo. I won't expect much from Grujic until next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

SlickRic wrote: »

If you can't be at all hopeful at the start of a season, then why the fúck bother?

Bring it on.

We play
    Man U , Man City , Arsenal and Chelsea away from home but one time per season. They can never stop us having a good season. We can only look to ourselves.
    Man u can spent 250 millions on players if they want, still 11 v 11 . I'm expecting vast improvement compared to last season . We will be a nightmare for other sides ''IF'' what Klopp wants ,is what Klopp gets. No team will have higher energy than us.

I guess we can no longer use the excuse when we fail to sign a marquee signing ,that a top player will not move to north of England and play for a team with no Champions League place

OwaynOTT wrote: »

I blink really slowly so I don't have to sleep .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Wtf, lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That explains a lot.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I guess we can no longer use the excuse when we fail to sign a marquee signing ,that a top player will not move to north of England and play for a team with no Champions League place

I think the situation is still as it always has been...All things being equal, players (and people in general) will move to places they'd prefer to live in. So to counteract that, you either offer success, or money.

We can't offer success just yet, so if we wanted a super high profile player, we'd likely have to offer more money than our competitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A lot of people, including many of our own fans, seem to be overestimating our rivals, and underestimating our own team.

Pathetic.

There is no reason, with Klopp at the helm, and the type of player he has bought, and with no Europe, that we shouldn't have a proper go, and get top 4. or at least get damn fúcking close.

We've now got direct attackers to compliment the likes of Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana. Mané and Wijnaldum, while not the names everyone wanted, are the exactly the type of attacking player we needed. We'll now score goals.

I like the look of this team, and I can't wait for the season to start. We could do with more solidity, but we'll get there. A new LB would solve a lot.

Mourinho has the CV, but you can't ignore the end of the last Chelsea tenure (before lurkers point out the Klopp's last season was a dud, I know. You shouldn't be 'scared' of Klopp, and we shouldn't be 'scared' of Mourinho).
    Wenger is pretty much a beaten docket at the top level at this stage. Until they get someone new, there's nothing to be scared of there.
    Conte made Juve successful, and brought some hope to Italy, while winning sweet FA. Big whoop. Again, nothing to fear.

I'm not saying we shouldn't respect these teams and managers. We should. Absolutely. But there is literally no reason to fear any of them. We shouldn't assume any of them will finish above us this season. That's defeatist, and honestly, complete nonsense.

Bring it on.

I expect this team to go out there each game and win - certainly without CL to put us against the real heavyweights. In any game any team can beat any other.

The fact of the matter is though, that without having the benefit of hindsight, we have the 6th best team in the league.

The way things finish seldom adhere strictly to who's the "best" team.
    If City have the best team but the players that make that a reality end up only playing half the time, they're just off form, or anything else interferes with their ability to deliver on their potential, then in practice they're not the best team.
    That's not something that can be predicted.

Saying we ought to finish sixth is a probabilistic determination based on the actual strenghts of the clubs, between stability, form and quality of players, and expecting more than that is delusional, pure and simple.

That doesn't mean you can't be optimisitc or that we can't possibly do any better.
    Leicester won the ****ing league last season so obviously probability based on nothing more than the team sheets isn't a perfect science. It's not supposed to be accurate.
    At this point it's all we have to go on though.

The important take away is about how you'll look on this team based on their performance this season.
    Par for us is 6th.

With hindsight, maybe it turns out a load of players will be amazing and it'll have turned out that we weren't the 6th best team and our players actually meant that we were 5th,4th, 3rd best or whatever.

Equally, maybe we hit the par level of play for 6th, but teams above us hit below or well below par themselves, and in practice we finish higher - as we saw with the swing between Chelsea, City and Utd, and Leicester and Spurs.

People are reading more into this than necessary.
    It's little more than saying we're the 6th best team on paper as things stand.
    How things play out, game to game expectations and what I'd expect the club's aims to be for the season are essentially nothing to do with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Pathetic.

Bring it on.

Guardiola was in the german league, that's not a two horse race, it was a 1 horse race while he was there.

It was worse when they played in the Wankdorf Stadium

Spent ages looking for a disgusted dorf gif from Star Trek but turns out your mans name is worf. Waste of a few hours.

Cat blinks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I don't think anyone he is getting rid of us being hard done by, but he should shut up about bringing kids through, cause all he has ever done is buy his teams, usually on top of a very good team when he arrived at the club...
    This was my point. Mourinho said he'd follow the United tradition of bringing youth through but Mourinho has never brought youth through at any top club he's been at. His spending since Chelsea is nearly at 1 billion pounds!!

He knows damn well that he's not going to be giving youth a chance because that's not what wins you the league. Saying that I do expect him to put out a reserve team for the Europa and use that as his "giving youth a chance"but really he doesn't give a toss about the tournament.

Loan watch 2016/17

J. Dunn Forward Morecambe
    Played 68 mins in 2-0 away defeat, came off the bench and scored a hat trick as Morecambe beat Rotherham United 4-5 after ET.

His goals can be seen

R. Kent Winger Barnsley
    Played 73 mins in 4-2 away defeat, came on at 61 mins in League Cup defeat 1-2 AET by Northampton Town

D. Ward Goalkeeper Huddersfield
    Played full game in 2-1 home win. Full game in League Cup defeat

R. Fulton Goalkeeper Chesterfield
    Played full game in 1-1 home draw, full game in 3-0 defeat in League Cup

L. Jones Centre back Swindon
    Full game playing as a DM in 2-2 AET draw defeated on penos (he didn't take one) by QPR

C. Brannagan Midfielder Wigan Athletic
    No game
    Allan Midfielder Hertha Berlin
    No game
    J. Flannagan Full back Burnley
    No game

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Cup draw on now. Liverpool going to be away anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Away to Burton in the second round of the League Cup.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Away to Burton Albion.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    More sleeps than that, I'm afraid! Ford aren't the Super Sunday sponsor anymore. :pac:

It's Nissan now for the weekend games, and bet365 for MNF and Friday nights.

Sauce: https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2016/bet365_and_nissan_to_be_new_sponsors_of_sky_sports_premier_league_coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sorry i had to work and then a pre season rules and fines meeting, so i am only getting home. Who would have thought a wee link pointing out some home truths about a rival manager and how his character is would cause such issues. When he said he would never talk about rival managers transfer fees

Welcome to Liverpool.......................Jonathan Woodgate. No not the 8th choice centre back but as a scout
    paul joyce ‏@pjoyceexpress
    Former England defender Jonathan Woodgate joins Liverpool as a scout. He will focus on Spain and Portugal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Welcome to Liverpool.......................Jonathan Woodgate. No not the 8th choice centre back but as a scout

Bet he gets injured getting on the plane.

mosstin wrote: »
    Bet he gets injured getting on the plane.

His first scouting task, he goes to the wrong game, falls down the steps and accidentally signs a 34 yo striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Former England defender Jonathan Woodgate joins Liverpool as a scout.He will focus on Spain and Portugal

And still somehow recommend players from Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Knex. wrote: »
    And still somehow recommend players from Southampton.

Cédric, José Fonte, Juanmi, Oriol Romeu.

Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What sort of money is a scout on? Anybody know?

murpho999 wrote: »
    What sort of money is a scout on? Anybody know?

Pounds, probably.

Pounds, probably.

I'd say they would prefer Euro's these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Pounds, probably.
    Naw, Euros seeing as he will be scouting in the Eurozone...

Hope his sick pay package wasn't too generous.

Serious answer, top PL scouts can get around 100k, and up to 250k a year, according to these:

http://www.trophy4toon.co.uk/premier-league-salaries/

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/aug/08/football-scout-walsall-fc

Football manager, back in the day, would have you believe that 2k a week for a scout at a top PL team is about right.

• Advertisement

I'd say they would prefer Euro's these days.
    Naw, Euros seeing as he will be scouting in the Eurozone...

Wouldn't his salary still be pounds as he's based from England?

Wouldn't his salary still be pounds as he's based from England?

Aren't all scouts these based in their own home playing Football Manager anyway :p

Maybe he moved back to Madrid and will be based there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Pathetic.
    What is that pathetic? 6th place in Klopp's first full season seems like a realistic goal with a few to making a challenge for top 4 next season.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/simon-mignolet-ready-fight-liverpool-8608652

Simon Mignolet says he's ready for the toughest fight of his Liverpool career.

"You have to keep your head down, work hard and make sure you put in the performances yourself.'' He said as he dropped the cup of tea his wife passed him. '' You don't look over your shoulder to anybody else.
    "It's about making sure you put in your own best possible performance every day on the training pitch and on a matchday and to not get distracted easily,oh look a squirrel .
    Like I was saying I think Klopp is a great manager''

Yea, its a bit harsh to call people pathetic for a prediction, no matter how pessimistic that appears to be to some people.

I'm all for an open debate. The positions I realistically see us finishing in range from 6th-3rd and thats my optimistic/realistic prediction and I've stated why previously.......anything higher would need a perfect season and anything lower would be a poor/awful season.....and both are possible but not as likely IMO.....If some posters think I'm wrong then thats fine, but its going a bit far being called pathetic for not dreaming of us blowing the league away and being overly optimistic.

Moreno dresses like he plays
    All over the place and clueless

Moreno dresses like he plays
    All over the place and clueless

I thought he was wearing a "ripped effect" jeans, turns out he tried to slide tackle the bouncer outside.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What is that pathetic? 6th place in Klopp's first full season seems like a realistic goal with a few to making a challenge for top 4 next season.

6 points behind 4th last season so hopefully that's what we'll be improving on.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    6 points behind 4th last season so hopefully that's what we'll be improving on.

And you could argue that if we did not have big European games coming up we'd have got closer. However, 66 points got 4th when your looking at on average 71/72 points normally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement