Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Augeo wrote: »
    Origi had a purple patch last season, to get anywhere near that level again he'll need games. Can't see him getting too many games this season.

Based on what we've seen, I don't see why he doesn't start getting Sturridge's, other than because Sturridge would throw a strop.

You can make arguments in general that Origi or Ings aren't good enough to rely on, but Sturridge is being relied on as our 12th player and he's just not cutting it in any metric.

Origi and Ings can't be much worse on the ball but I'd wager you'll get more movement and aggression off the ball.

Gbear wrote: »
    Based on what we've seen, I don't see why he doesn't start getting Sturridge's, other than because Sturridge would throw a strop.........

You reckon Klopp gives 2 sh1ts about Sturridge throwing a strop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What are you on about?
    If a player gets away from you you sometimes take a professional foul to avoid a goalscoring opportunity and are happy to pay the price.

Being physical, trying to get about teams... there's nothing wrong with that.

But there's a tradeoff, and that's in the form of the referee's notebook.
    If he just doesn't turn up that completely changes the dynamic of the game, where one team is playing to one set of rules and the other is playing to another.

Maybe we should be going into games assuming the refs will make **** up as they go along, but I'd rather hope we just get someone who's not afraid to do their job.

He was ****e. It warranted being commented on.
    If you want a % figure for exactly how much it screwed us over in the game, I can't give you one.

Fair enough if you don't rate the ref's performance however I thought he was fine and I don''t think his decisions influenced the result that match.

Liverpool did not play well enough against a very defensive Utd team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'll take that and move on.
    Karius on the little we've seen, seems to be a strange signing. Appears to have the same weaknesses as Mignolet.
    Still young and new to the club and it was a big match occasion so let's cut him some slack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just because we didn't score tonight doesn't mean we won't beat West Brom btw, they're very different teams and different occasions, I wouldn't think too much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Away wins at Chelsea and Arsenal mean a point at home to Utd is just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Fair enough if you don't rate the ref's performance however I thought he was fine and I don''t think his decisions influenced the result that match.

Annoyed me when he blew up just before the 3 mins were up. Annoying as Young took an age getting off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Am I the only person happy enough with a point?

I dont think we done enough to win really, one long range shot and a point blank save were good chances but they weren't exactly nailed on goals lets be honest. United were negative but Mourinho is no mug and got his tactics for the most part right.

I'm not delighted but I'll take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Whata funny about Mourinho is when he first came, you though he was like this funny guy, a real breath of fresh air. But really, he is like a craic vacuum. Jose, killer of football.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Annoyed me when he blew up just before the 3 mins were up. Annoying as Young took an age getting off.

Agree with that, more time should have been added on for that.

Thought it was 30 seconds for a sub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A broken clock still tells good time twice a day!

The ability to adapt to beat teams and hold teams is why Mourinho has so many trophies and Klopp has a fraction.

Liverpool won't win this league using Klopp's methods unless he adds to his repertoire, if you offered a Liverpool fan a league trophy but they have to deal with some negative performances like tonight they'd snap your hand off no matter how high and mighty they pretend to be about beautiful football and the scourge of Mourinho's anti football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I have said it before and i will say it again. I would rather lose than play like mourinho does. that is not me being bitter with not taking 3 points that is me being a football fan.

90 mins of pure dross that was that does nothing for the league.

The ability to adapt to beat teams and hold teams is why Mourinho has so many trophies and Klopp has a fraction.

Liverpool won't win this league using Klopp's methods unless he adds to his repertoire, if you offered a Liverpool fan a league trophy but they have to deal with some negative performances like tonight they'd snap your hand off no matter how high and mighty they pretend to be about beautiful football and the scourge of Mourinho's anti football.

You genuinely don't know that. He did win two Bundesligas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Agree with that, more time should have been added on for that.

Thought it was 30 seconds for a sub?

Maybe you wanted him to keep playing till ye scored???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

NukaCola wrote: »

I dont think we done enough to win really, one long range shot and a point blank save were good chances but they weren't exactly nailed on goals lets be honest. United were negative but Mourinho is no mug and got his tactics for the most part right.

A point is fine in my book, these accusations from some quarters of being "bitter" over the result are baffling.

Just over 2 points per game after playing United, Chelsea, Leicester, Spurs, and Arsenal, not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

A point against Utd is good, but the performance was poor and the match sucked.

That and spending a ****ing fortune on footballers......

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »

No but a minumum of 3 mins extra time was announced and it took at least 40 seconds for Young to find the touchline, so you would expect that to be added back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Random thought to distract from that disappointment, I'd love to see Woodburn get a run out on Saturday, might as well break him in to the squad early, we have a serious talent on our hands there, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not the worst result considering it's still early days. Just win our next game and we'll be alright. Think we can win the reverse fixture when United will have to come out and play more. Long way away though.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    A point against Utd is good, but the performance was poor and the match sucked.

Sometimes you have to give the opposition some credit. Match was awful but there was a good reason for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

One the plus side Liverpool are 2 points off the top having played Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal away and United at home. Would have snapped your arm off for that in early August.

No but a minumum of 3 mins extra time was announced and it took at least 40 seconds for Young to find the touchline, so you would expect that to be added back on.

If he played another 20 mins ye wouldn't have scored.
    Have to laugh at the pool fans criticising Utd. Take a look at your own team for all the first half. Yes Utd played defensively but they had 2 great chances the same as pool

• Advertisement

If he played another 20 mins ye wouldn't have scored.
    Have to laugh at the pool fans criticising Utd. Take a look at your own team for all the first half. Yes Utd played defensively but they had 2 great chances the same as pool

2?

How can they possibly not influence the result?
    The game their midfield was playing relied on having fouls to give away to get them out of tight spots.

It's like if you overload on the flanks with your full back ahead of the winger, leaving space in behind and a vulnerability to counter-attacks, but the full back gets a jet pack which negates that weakness.

If they're given the advantages of the way they play but aren't expected to face any of the disadvantages, how can that not impact on the game?
    It's not about making mistakes. **** happens sometimes. What's galling is that it was a concerted effort to "ref the occasion".

Won't argue the last point, although I wouldn't be hugely critical of the players - it wasn't the same team that's been playing the football we wanted to see, with 2 players coming in that aren't up to the pace and more importantly, missing our thus far player of the season in Lallana.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ive no problem with that tonight. Mourinho did what mourinho does. Thankfully they didn't get a lucky late goal as you would have to listen to some nonsense about it being the complete performance. Onwards and upwards I'd remain very confident about the top4.

I was so relieved, I had to run to the outhouse and make sure the almanac was handy.

Yes, that's what he was saying.

Anyhow at the start of the season many said what a tough start Liverpool have

Arsenal Away Win
    Spurs Away Draw
    Leicester Home Win
    Chelsea Away Win
    Man Utd Home Draw

11 from 15 points is something we all would have taken from those games before hand. Burnley is the biggest screw up.

With them out of the way look at the next 11 league games that will bring us to 2017.

West Brom Home
    Palace Away
    Watford Home
    Southampton Away
    Sunderland Home
    Bournemouth Away
    West Ham Home
    Middlesbrough Home
    Everton Away
    Stoke Home
    Man City Home

Lots of winnable games there, no doubt it won't be plain sailing as this Klopp side is not the finished article, but I think this is a great opportunity to put a run of good results together and be right in the mix at Christmas as other teams face tougher ties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I'd disagree, Mourinho does'nt "adapt" because he's always played the same way, all the way back to his Porto days, is it successfull? Yes. is it boring as fook for everyone not on his side? Yes!
    There's more than one way to win a league, and i believe Klopp will win one for us.

Not the worst result considering it's still early days. Just win our next game and we'll be alright.

It's a decent result in that respect.

You can see us taking this in our stride and getting back to business next weekend.
    It's an easy game to bounce back from.

Of course being West Brom won't be easy - Spurs only scraped a draw there last week; but you can feel fairly confident that we'll approach the game in the right way.

Yea, 3 points at the weekend is a must......cant let all the good work go to waste with games we absolutely must win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Your the problem not Henderson! :pac:

Seriously though, I dont even want to know how you came to that conclusion.....

Sturridge is a top striker when played in position. Henderson is granny with tonsilitis who passes the ball backwards and or loses it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Imagine spending hundreds of millions and breaking the world record only to play like West Brom. Considering the resources and players Mourinho has at his disposal I fail to see what makes him a better manager than Tony Pulis.

Any old clown can play tactics like this with a team like that; it takes a proper manager to play good football with good players and win in the process.

How can they possibly not influence the result?
    The game their midfield was playing relied on having fouls to give away to get them out of tight spots.

It's like if you overload on the flanks with your full back ahead of the winger, leaving space in behind and a vulnerability to counter-attacks, but the full back gets a jet pack which negates that weakness.

If they're given the advantages of the way they play but aren't expected to face any of the disadvantages, how can that not impact on the game?
    It's not about making mistakes. **** happens sometimes. What's galling is that it was a concerted effort to "ref the occasion".

Won't argue the last point, although I wouldn't be hugely critical of the players - it wasn't the same team that's been playing the football we wanted to see, with 2 players coming in that aren't up to the pace and more importantly, missing our thus far player of the season in Lallana.

When we play well and win games you don''t see any of these posts so I think you're just frustrated by the result and clutching at straws.

Damn, I wish our manager had won as many trophies for different clubs as their manager :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Mane was shiiiite tonight as was our performance. Karius looks dodge and Can needs games bigtime. Sturidge was half arsed. Wud have origi/ings up top for a game of 2. Good to see lalllana seemed ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Sturridge is a top striker when played in position. Henderson is granny with tonsilitis who passes the ball backwards and or loses it.

Why don't you put "Henderson stole my bird" in your sig? It'll save you constantly having to type it.

Henderson is granny with tonsilitis who passes the ball backwards and or loses it.

Rooney was sweating all over him alright at one point, you may be on to something there.....

• Advertisement

Imagine spending hundreds of millions and breaking the world record only to play like West Brom. Considering the resources and players Mourinho has at his disposal I fail to see what makes him a better manager than Tony Pulis.

Any old clown can play tactics like this with a team like that; it takes a proper manager to play good football with good players and win in the process.

Now close your eyes and imagine if ye could afford those players

Any word on Firmino's injury? We'd be rightly ****ed without him and his workrate.

The biggest disappointment of the year, was when Firmy couldn't finish that sublime flick-on from Couty in the 2nd half. That would have been a fierce good looking goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Damn, I wish our manager had won as many trophies for different clubs as their manager :(

I value attacking football. I could not applaud what we saw tonight if I was on the other side.

I watch the premier league to be entertained.

Why don't you put "Henderson stole my bird" in your sig? It'll save you constantly having to type it.

Change his name to HendersonsBending Over MyGirlfriend or something more punchy.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd disagree, Mourinho does'nt "adapt" because he's always played the same way, all the way back to his Porto days, is it successfull? Yes. is it boring as fook for everyone not on his side? Yes!
    There's more than one way to win a league, and i believe Klopp will win one for us.

As recently as his last two league games before tonight he played entertaining football so you are probably full of shít on the whole career statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I'm just quoting this in case you realise how pathetic and embarrassing it is and decide to delete it. Carry on.

I can only see the table where we're ahead of Utd after not spending all that cash on players to get there, when I close my eyes. Am I doing it wrong?

Right lads, I'm off to bed. Have to be up early for breakfast tomorrow, so I have time to compose a post about it.
    I'll leave ye to sort out the woeful posting that's going on.
    Also can someone awkwardly work 'sweet Christmas!' into their post?

When we play well and win games you don''t see any of these posts so I think you're just frustrated by the result and clutching at straws.

In games where opposition midfields don't get away with endless niggly fouls to disrupt the match there's no need to feel frustrated at the ref, whether we win or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I was worried of the small team sucker punch were Liverpool can't break down a team and they get a goal like Burnley. We knew it was going to be hard to break down 6 defenders with their time wasting and play acting. So much for Jose saying his players don't surround the ref.

Ref I thought was a bit weak should have booked rashford for his foul on Milner would have cut out the niggly ones then. Also only 4 extra mins for all that time awaiting and the treatments if Milner and Rasford on the 2nd half was also a joke.

That's 5 games now the Zlatan has faced Liverpool and bottled it with out scoring :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement