Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yep he did, if Klopp was at a bigger club he'd be signing bigger names for bigger money too, his spending has already jumped drastically from Mainz to Dortmund to Liverpool and if he ever earns a seat at one of the top 5 clubs in the world he'll be spending more. It doesn't mean he will be successful, Van Gaal spent a fortune and did nothing with it.

Really sad and desperate posting.

Are you totally blinkered? You do realise that Utd wanted Klopp as manager as well (there is a video available of Alex Ferguson saying so). If that had happened, which was not beyond the realms of possibility then you would be on here saying how Utd have got one of the best managers in the world.

Now, he's at Liverpool, he's rubbish and his past achievements count for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

A point is fine......Mourinho's no mug and he chose to be super defensive to try and get his side a point. A lot of people give out about it but if he played like they did against Stoke we'd have battered them, he's not stupid.

The fact that we still had two of the best chances of the game should give us a bit of confidence. Still not enough to win it IMO but not every team thats going to play defensive will have DeGea on goal.

Still on course for top 4. We have a nice run of league games up to December, we have to show consistency now and rack up the points against weaker teams.

If you stop replying to them, they'll eventually stop coming in here to post boring drivel to get a one-up......

It was funny at first, then just got a bit sad......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

NukaCola wrote: »
    A point is fine......Mourinho's no mug and he chose to be super defensive to try and get his side a point. A lot of people give out about it but if he played like they did against Stoke we'd have battered them, he's not stupid.

The fact that we still had two of the best chances of the game should give us a bit of confidence. Still not enough to win it IMO but not every team thats going to play defensive will have DeGea on goal.

Still on course for top 4. We have a nice run of league games up to December, we have to show consistency now and rack up the points against weaker teams.

Only thing that you could call upsetting is that player who got MOTM from sky should never have been on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Least it means I can comfortably make plans for Sunday at 4 and know I am not missing much!

Its good to see the disappointment at last night.

Only saw the last 40 minutes and we looked on top for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Jesus, lads, this place is always a bit of write-off after the United games but their boys were out in force last night...

I'm disappointed with the result which, as others have said, is probably a marker of how far we've come. Ultimately, though, 'knowing how far we've come' doesn't increase our points total.

2 points off top after the start we've had is an excellent position to be in, though. Hopefully we can follow this with a few more wins and keep the good start going.

Absolute turgid game to watch, it has to be said, and only part of that is down to Jose's revolutionary 7-man defence. The transformation of Rashford from exciting striker to wing back is particularly remarkable...

But, we were wasteful in our passing. Can was particularly culpable in this regard in the first half. His vision/awareness is dreadful - he sees what is ahead of him and nothing else. I lost count of the amount of times that he missed a better pass by not turning his head.

We improved big time with Lallana on the pitch and, crucially, Firmino moved to the centre. He wasn't very involved in the first half out wide but with him, Coutinho and Lallana all in their preferred roles, we showed a few flashes of what we can do.

Not enough, ultimately, but sure...

Last question from me, when was the last time a Liverpool v Man United game was actually entertaining? I remember watching the last few (Rodgers, Moyes, LVG) and being bored half to tears. I remember when these used to be great games to watch (or at least I think I do!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really sad and desperate posting.

Are you totally blinkered? You do realise that Utd wanted Klopp as manager as well (there is a video available of Alex Ferguson saying so). If that had happened, which was not beyond the realms of possibility then you would be on here saying how Utd have got one of the best managers in the world.

Now, he's at Liverpool, he's rubbish and his past achievements count for nothing.

If Klopp was at United he'd have spent a hundred million. It doesn't mean he would be a success

Mourinho has earned the right the spend what he wants because he's arguably the most successful active manager in the world, Klopp is miles off that but still younger than Mourinho.

It's like saying you'd stick with Susan Boyle if Kate Upton came knocking, Klopp is a chequebook manager just like the rest of them. No need to get high and mighty about it.

Last question from me, when was the last time a Liverpool v Man United game was actually entertaining? I remember watching the last few (Rodgers, Moyes, LVG) and being bored half to tears. I remember when these used to be great games to watch (or at least I think I do!!)

I never really enjoy them but there have been a good few entertaining ones over the last few years.....The Europa League games for example were entertaining...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If Klopp was at United he'd have spent a hundred million. It doesn't mean he would be a success

Mourinho has earned the right the spend what he wants because he's arguably the most successful active manager in the world, Klopp is miles off that but still younger than Mourinho.

It's like saying you'd stick with Susan Boyle if Kate Upton came knocking, Klopp is a chequebook manager just like the rest of them. No need to get high and mighty about it.

No idea what you're on about here; are you just arguing with yourself now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Would Pep not be the most successful active manager in the world?

I think United are happier with Mourinho.....he likes to buy success apart from maybe one season at Porto, and United are willing to spend silly money so let them at it.

Klopp didn't spend a penny last season and got to two cup finals, I think LFC are in safe hands, plus we actually try and win games against our rivals and I'm not bored half the time I watch them.....win win for everyone I guess.....

I mean, when we have a manager miles behind Mourinho, and not one player that can get into the United team we are lucky we got a point last night lets all be honest. Why are United not running away with the league? Its strange.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I like Rayne's moxy. He noted that shrekTek (close enough) had success in the match thread wit the Dortmund relegation angle, so thought he'd try it in here. Clever play.

5starpool wrote: »
    I like Rayne's moxy. He noted that shrekTek (close enough) had success in the match thread wit the Dortmund relegation angle, so thought he'd try it in here. Clever play.

Good posters borrow, great posters steal......He's really taking the step up most of us knew he could....

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I agree with what most people are saying about being disappointed with the draw but I still feel progress has been made.

This was the type of game we would have lost over the past few years. Man U, under Mourinho, were always going to go out with the intention to frustrate us and get a goal either on the counter or through a set piece. I thought we defended very strongly and they only had one chance and only got one corner I think.

Yes we were poor going forward and retaining possession especially in the first half hour but we still kept our composure and didnt leave space for them to exploit us when we were trying to force the issue. We were definitely helped by United's complete lack of ambition but they still have players who should be capable of hurting us. I think Liverpool will have learnt an awful lot from last night and we still are a team that is far from the finished article

I am not happy with just a point but come the end of the season I think it could turn out to be a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yep he did, if Klopp was at a bigger club he'd be signing bigger names for bigger money too, his spending has already jumped drastically from Mainz to Dortmund to Liverpool and if he ever earns a seat at one of the top 5 clubs in the world he'll be spending more. It doesn't mean he will be successful, Van Gaal spent a fortune and did nothing with it.

I'd be curious to know your ratinoale on this: are you saying it's just Klopp, or any other manager in his shoes?

In any case, the days of Liverpool spending that kind of money on one player are probably waaaay off, regardless of who's in charge.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I never really enjoy them but there have been a good few entertaining ones over the last few years.....The Europa League games for example were entertaining...

Ah - I was on holidays for the Europa games so I didn't see either unfortunately.

I never really enjoyed them, but there was definitely a time where even neutrals would enjoy the contest, whereas last night... Even with an emotional investment in the game I was tempted to turn it off it was so bloody bad!!

Our backline was quite impressive last night......A bit worried about Karius but he's only a young fella, hopefully he grows into the role with more confidence, Can/Hendo done ok, Can grew into the game more and was sloppy in the first half but thats to be expected. I was disappointed with Firmino/Mané/Sturridge up top but they worked hard in tight space. United pressed hard but looked leggy around 50 mins, and we upped the intensity when Lallana came on.

After the international break was a poxy time to play United, especially missing Lallana and Wijnaldum. Coutinho/Firmino IMO were not at 100% pulling up with crap and lost that sharpness they had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

If you stop replying to them, they'll eventually stop coming in here to post boring drivel to get a one-up......

It was funny at first, then just got a bit sad......

At least these utd lads are trying to score !

In any case, the days of Liverpool spending that kind of money on one player are probably waaaay off, regardless of who's in charge.

Not even Real Madrid were stupid enough to spend that kind of money on Pogba. I dont care who says what, its stupid money. And before someone starts crying, I'm not saying Pogba isn't good, but its a waste of money. At least 30-40M overpriced.
    I'd be curious to know your ratinoale on this

My Dad will beat up your Dad 101 I think.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I'm confused Wayne as Susan Boyle is what many would describe as quite talented? Unless your point is about which one you'd ride when comparing Klopp and Mourinho which is....well, whatever you're into pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Will feel very strange cheering for Chelsea on Sunday,very strange indeed..

No I don't want a draw,i want Chelsea to beat Jose for the fckin lols alone

5starpool wrote: »

Who has just admitted that he was in stirring the pot with his posts in the match thread

How do people reckon we'll manage if teams playing us
    - don't play it out from the back so we can't press them unless they win the ball off us
    - Play similar formation to Utd last night, packed defence, DMs, tall strikers, bit of pace on a wing maybe to get crosses in (presumably on the (oppositions) right wing as Milner can be turned and gotten around easier than Clyne)
    - Aim to get the ball into our box in the air to get Matip, Lovren & Karius busy, lofting into the 6 yard area where it's a bit of a grey area should Karius come out or not

They way we destroy teams when they try and play a bit .......... you'd want to have rocks in your head to go down that route if you really wanted to come away from Anfield with a pt.

I'm slightly concerned that there are plenty PL teams that might employ defensive tactics against us even when they are at home.

As we know, we'll score in most games but last night's clean sheet won't be a regular feature for us unfortunately IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

When you see posts from Utd fans talking up a 0-0 draw as a tactical masterclass, just realise that they're sat behind the keyboard like this:

0g20PX.gif

Jose inherited a team that did the double over us in back-to-back seasons. He then added £150m of talent to it, and fans are now talking up a draw like it's a great success. This is our first clean sheet of the season - that's how unambitious they were! It's actually an impressive feat in expectation management when you think about it. :pac:

We were poor for long periods last night - arguably due to Lallana and Wijnaldum missing. Mane was well contained and Sturridge was an isolated man due to the war of attrition in midfield. A braver Utd selection might have got at us a bit more - but you won't see a brave Utd in games against the Top 6 this season.

For me, a draw is just okay. At least the workplace is bearable this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ah - I was on holidays for the Europa games so I didn't see either unfortunately.

I never really enjoyed them, but there was definitely a time where even neutrals would enjoy the contest, whereas last night... Even with an emotional investment in the game I was tempted to turn it off it was so bloody bad!!
    I was happy enough with the draw last night especially after the robbery at Anfield last season.

And also Mourinho ripping the last vestiges of Fergies empire from manUs soul and dancing on them. I was highly amused at their fans falling over themselves justifying having the most expensive squad in football, man-for-man better by far than the poor offerings at Anfield and playing 6-3-1 without a shred of ambition of winning the game. I almost feel sorry for fergie.:)

But that's an hour and a half of my life I won't get back but thankfully I don't have to watch that class of 'football' more than twice a year.

Onwards to WBA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sturridge's heat map from the game it looks like the busiest he was in the centre circle for the second half kick off. :pac:

3978699100000578-3845818-image-a-21_1476748097556.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3845818/Daniel-Sturridge-struggles-convince-Liverpool-draw-Manchester-United-Martin-Keown-asks-centre-forward.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

And also Mourinho ripping the last vestiges of Fergies empire from manUs soul and dancing on them. I was highly amused at their fans falling over themselves justifying having the most expensive squad in football, man-for-man better by far than the poor offerings at Anfield and playing 6-3-1 without a shred of ambition of winning the game.

That sums up the match and how I feel perfectly.

The most expensive squad in the history of football could only park the bus at Anfield and the fans who got their last two managers sacked because they hated the negative football now seem to love it.

No longer do they chant Attack Attack Attack they chant Park the Bus Park the Bus Park the Bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Looking back on last night's draw and the disappointment overall from the manager, team and supporters says a lot how far we have come in thelast 12 months.

It also shows how much we missed Lallana (it was such a difference when he came on) and Wijnaldum (his fluidity and quick turnover of the ball was sorely missed).

As much as i love Can he's too slow to get the ball away, he takes 4 or 5 touches where Wijnaldum will do it in 2. I think sturridge will be gone in the summer and Can will be the one missing out when all are fully fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

With Lalanna back and straight back in to start against WBA - drop Sturridge - We should be more equipped to beat them. I don't think they will park the bus so we should be able to break them down if we can start with the high tempo game we have done up to last night.
    Last night was frustrating but we didn't lose - onwards and upwards. Roll on Saturday.

• That sums up the match and how I feel perfectly.

The most expensive squad in the history of football could only park the bus at Anfield and the fans who got their last two managers sacked because they hated the negative football now seem to love it.

No longer do they chant Attack Attack Attack they chant Park the Bus Park the Bus Park the Bus.

Just not true at all

Here's what I said to murpho earlier

Jose approached this game specifically.
    He hasn't setup this way for any other game so far. He played too lose against city in the first half and we lost because of it.
    Against teams Utd expect to win he has approached the games in a more attacking manner.
    In the big games he will play it with more care.
    He's only been in charge a couple of months just to remind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Just not true at all

Here's what I said to murpho earlier

Jose approached this game specifically.
    He hasn't setup this way for any other game so far. He played too lose against city in the first half and we lost because of it.
    Against teams Utd expect to win he has approached the games in a more attacking manner.
    In the big games he will play it with more care.

Think Sunday will tell alot about how his mindset is. I just cannot see him ending well there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

As much as i love Can he's too slow to get the ball away, he takes 4 or 5 touches where Wijnaldum will do it in 2. I think sturridge will be gone in the summer and Can will be the one missing out when all are fully fit.

Can was awful the first 30 minutes. Kept giving the ball away. Not the only one but he looked very rusty understandably.

In fairness to him I thought he improved a lot as the game went on.

We just didn't circulate the ball as quickly in midfield with no Lallana and Wijnaldum. It was like the oil was missing to make the machine run efficiently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Remember the moaning Mourinho did about Big Sam a few years back :o:o:o
    They've had 5 pts in 5 games while we've had 13 pts.
    Unusual to play West Brom twice in a week :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,279 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Just not true at all

correct, it will be 5 months soon :pac:

That sums up the match and how I feel perfectly.

They set out to frustrate and upset Liverpool in typical Jose style.
    I mean the challenge by Rashford int he 1st 2 mins was just from his play book.
    The time wasting and walking away from the ball when in went out of play was just another ploy to frustrate the players and fans it is toxic but his fans will love it.

It was almost as bad as that game Man Utd V Chelsea when he returned to Chelsea and both teams went down that route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

The Pool started off a bit shaky last night, it's like the occasion got to them or something, We grew into the game tho and were the better team for the most part, neither team really created any clear cut chances and in the end a draw was probably a fair result. In hindsight the draw was very good for us, It reels in the expectation a bit which would have been like a run away train had we won, 2 points off top with alot of big games behind us is fantastic.

That fella on about Klopp being just like Mourinho when it comes to spending was such a feeble and obvious attempt at a wind up its actually quiet concerning, I worry for the guy I really do.

• naughtb4 wrote: »
    Think Sunday will tell alot about how his mindset is. I just cannot see him ending well there

Chelsea are title contenders in my eyes. One bad year doesn't change that they have been challenging and winning since 2004 ish

I expect them to also play with caution, they are in similar position to us, with changing players & manager

What's just not true is this "branding" all of a sudden of that we parked the bus because we were defensively structured last night against a team in a better position than we are currently as has been given over a year to develop.
    Why play openly knowing that Klopp was going to predictably play a currently very effective pressing game and end up losing?

Every other game so far in Joses very short reign has been more attacking.

It's a easy narrative for rivals to jump on so however

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

They set out to frustrate and upset Liverpool in typical Jose style.
    I mean the challenge by Rashford int he 1st 2 mins was just from his play book.
    The time wasting and walking away from the ball when in went out of play was just another ploy to frustrate the players and fans it is toxic but his fans will love it.

It was almost as bad as that game Man Utd V Chelsea when he returned to Chelsea and both teams went down that route

Can't blame a team for playing to their strengths😉

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

GBX wrote: »
    With Lalanna back and straight back in to start against WBA - drop Sturridge - We should be more equipped to beat them. I don't think they will park the bus so we should be able to break them down if we can start with the high tempo game we have done up to last night.
    Last night was frustrating but we didn't lose - onwards and upwards. Roll on Saturday.

West Brom will of course attempt to sit back and soak up pressure on Saturday, but their players aren't as good as Utd's, so hopefully won't be as effective at disrupting our game. If we get a goal in the first 30 mins we should win anyhow, but the longer it goes the more difficult it might be to score.

• Advertisement

Sturridge's heat map from the game it looks like the busiest he was in the centre circle for the second half kick off. :pac:..........

What do Mane's, Firmino's & Coutinho's look like?

What's just not true is this "branding" all of a sudden of that we parked the bus because we were defensively structured last night against a team in a better position than we are currently as has been given over a year to develop.
    Why play openly knowing that Klopp was going to predictably play a currently very effective pressing game and end up losing?..............

To be fair it was obvious what Jose was going to do, I'd expect more managers to do the same.

I thought/hoped Klopp might have had a plan to deal with the defensive set up, beyond the clean sheet at home achieved I saw no strategy to deal with Jose's tactics.

Can't blame a team for playing to their strengths😉

I thought United were to be a great attacking team with the great Zlatan to score at least 3 goals in every game he plays in for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

People need to stop bringing up Sturridge's goal stats tbh. Because injuries have taken there toll unfortunately & he has lost his pace a crucial asset gone. He is not the player off 13-14.
    I would still keep him as a starter in certain games but mostly as an impact sub. But if he would not be happy in that which would be understandable I would sell him in the summer if a decent offer came in.
    I would also feel sorry for him too though as his body has let him down & he most likely won't be able to fulfill his potential that he showed in 13-14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I thought United were to be a great attacking team with the great Zlatan to score at least 3 goals in every game he plays in for them

well, you were wrong :rolleyes:

What kind of childish nonsense is this anyway?

I'd be curious to know your ratinoale on this: are you saying it's just Klopp, or any other manager in his shoes?

Every manager wants to buy the best players for their team, if Klopp was at a club with the big money to spend he would spend it without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Strange game last night. That was a Man Utd side absolutely alien to every Man Utd side I've grown up watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,279 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Every manager wants to buy the best players for their team, if Klopp was at a club with the big money to spend he would spend it without a doubt.

except thats contrary to what he has said himself

Cyrus wrote: »
    except thats contrary to what he has said himself

Do you believe if Klopp went to Barca or Madrid he'd cut their spending? Be realistic here, he'd play the game like any other manager would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Just read a funny tweet there: 'If Mourinho directed Die Hard it'd be 90 minutes of Bruce Willis hiding in a cupboard, then applauding his tactics for not getting shot'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In fairness De Gea is possibly the only keeper in the league who saves the Can and Coutinho chances. Against anyone else both of those or at least one of them ends up in the net. Two world class saves. And it took a world class tackle from Valencia to save United just as Firmino was about to pull the trigger from 5 yards out. Although looking at it back I think Firmino should have been a little bit quicker to get a shot away.

Not easy to create chances against a back 6 with 2 wing-backs tucked in. There was no space to run in behind. Hopefully in the return fixture that space will be there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement