Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Just read a funny tweet there: 'If Mourinho directed Die Hard it'd be 90 minutes of Bruce Willis hiding in a cupboard, then applauding his tactics for not getting shot'.

your definition of funny is a bit strange

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not as strange as you.

Heyoooooooooo

MD1990 wrote: »
    People need to stop bringing up Sturridge's goal stats tbh. Because injuries have taken there toll unfortunately & he has lost his pace a crucial asset gone. He is not the player off 13-14.
    I would still keep him as a starter in certain games but mostly as an impact sub. But if he would not be happy in that which would be understandable I would sell him in the summer if a decent offer came in.
    I would also feel sorry for him too though as his body has let him down & he most likely won't be able to fulfill his potential that he showed in 13-14.

He'll score plenty of goals yet, quite likely not for LFC though.

If he's happy to stay around we'll almost certainly be in Europe next year so wouldn't be sure he'll leave.

Realistically he could spend the next 4/5 years in Italy or France scoring for fun or struggling to get into a Klopp LFC team in the PL, if I was him I'd know what I'd do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Game had a European feel to it . It was like they wanted to get out of Anfield with a result to keep tie alive. Firmino not great when no time to think. Should of got shot away, it's a must in that situation. Or play ball first and take the tackle which would be a penalty.
    He did neither, he didn't shoot or move ball, he allowed a recovering tackle. A top striker would not allow that.

.............. Firmino not great when no time to think. Should of got shot away, it's a must in that situation. Or play ball first and take the tackle which would be a penalty.
    He did neither, he didn't shoot or move ball, he allowed a recovering tackle. A top striker would not allow that.

Plenty of top strikers don't do the right thing all the time, I wouldn't knock Firmino for that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Ah you see I have a sense of humour, unlike yourself, it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

well, you were wrong :rolleyes:

What kind of childish nonsense is this anyway?

Nothing wrong with being childish once in a while...could be worse...could be sexist or racist eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Do you believe if Klopp went to Barca or Madrid he'd cut their spending? Be realistic here, he'd play the game like any other manager would.

For some reason, I don't think Klopp would go to Barca or Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Augeo wrote: »
    Plenty of top strikers don't do the right thing all the time, I wouldn't knock Firmino for that situation.

He was 95% in control of situation , yet lost all control of it. A clever striker would toe poke the ball when he sees the tackle coming, and win a penalty.
    It's trickery , clever way to get a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,279 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Do you believe if Klopp went to Barca or Madrid he'd cut their spending? Be realistic here, he'd play the game like any other manager would.

do you think he spent all the funds available to him in the summer ?

• Advertisement

He was 95% in control of situation , yet lost all control of it. .............

That's football :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He was 95% in control of situation , yet lost all control of it. A clever striker would toe poke the ball when he sees the tackle coming, and win a penalty.
    It's trickery , clever way to get a penalty.
    If the angle of the ball had been more to the outside, he would have got a shot away but it was too straight.

Saying that though, Valencia made a great recovery run and seemed to want the ball more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If the angle of the ball had been more to the outside, he would have got a shot away but it was too straight.

Saying that though, Valencia made a great recovery run and seemed to want the ball more.
    Valencia is one of the fastest players in the PL. Would not say he wanted the ball more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I honestly except some lads to come in here and tell us that they drew better than we did.

Knex. wrote: »
    I honestly except some lads to come in here and tell us that they drew better than we did.

Greatest draw of all time.

What time is the parade on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

While i dont agree with the result last night, we're after wading through quite possibly the toughest start to a season i can remember and we're still 4th, and with 5 winnable games ahead of us i'd still be very confident that we'll be in a great position come January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

There's gonna be an awful lot of parked busses between now and the end of the season. This is gonna be a hard slog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

New Balance on there Facebook page said they will have a special announcement with Klopp tomorrow at 1;30 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Augeo wrote: »
    They way we destroy teams when they try and play a bit .......... you'd want to have rocks in your head to go down that route if you really wanted to come away from Anfield with a pt.

I'm slightly concerned that there are plenty PL teams that might employ defensive tactics against us even when they are at home.

As we know, we'll score in most games but last night's clean sheet won't be a regular feature for us unfortunately IMO.

We are not going to win every game with high intensity pressing for a number of reasons, its probably unrealistic to expect us to be physically able to do it week in week out and if teams give us the ball it kind of negates the press and we tend to waste a lot of possession. We concede easily while labor to score at times and it is a concern absolutely. I suppose a lot of supporters will have that concern also though.

However, last night, despite the shut out, we still got a number of half chances and two very decent chances that you'd hope inferior opposition wont get away with.

Have we seen LFC play a different way to gain points? The win against Swansea we played a bit more direct and got the win. IMO, those points cant be down to our usual "press". But yes, the press is kinda the whole point of how we play. It does need to be adjusted at times but I think we'll get there, and definitely need to if we are to challenge top 4.

I dont think its as easy to play against us as just sit back and be defensive as some may think though. I think we have enough to punish the majority of teams if they play that way. A lot of games coming up could shape out this way so we'll get a lot of practice maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Vicxas wrote: »
    While i dont agree with the result last night, we're after wading through quite possibly the toughest start to a season i can remember and we're still 4th, and with 5 winnable games ahead of us i'd still be very confident that we'll be in a great position come January.

That's where it's at. If Liverpool win at least 4 of the next 5 games, or better. Last night will be a great point and will form part of a great run. A big if, but certainly doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What's just not true is this "branding" all of a sudden of that we parked the bus because we were defensively structured last night against a team in a better position than we are currently as has been given over a year to develop.
    Why play openly knowing that Klopp was going to predictably play a currently very effective pressing game and end up losing?

Every other game so far in Joses very short reign has been more attacking.

It's a easy narrative for rivals to jump on so however

Speaking of 'easy narrative', just on the bit in bold.

this is the easiest thing to throw out in the world, and firstly, it's hilarious, particularly with the amount of people who got on Klopp's back for not using Rodgers' squad better.

we are not 'a year ahead of you'. are City and Utd not on a par in terms of development then? are Chelsea not too? they both have managers who have come in with new ideas and some new players. can you use that excuse with them? Are Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Leicester favourites because they've had their managers longer?

Like fúck they are.

'Needing time to develop' excuses the odd thing here and there, but it's played up far too much by all football fans. most of those players have been training together for months now, and those who haven't, are world class by all accounts, so it's not this massive chore for them that some would like to believe. it's an easy media soundbite.

Liverpool weren't favourites last night simply because they're used to each other for longer. that's so simplistic, and I've seen it bandied around as if it's fact. if it even accounts for 2% of a team's level of performance in mid-October, I'd be shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

In the next 5 game weeks we play West Brom, Crystal Palace, Watford, Southampton, and Sunderland. Also featuring in the next 5 game weeks are these following fixtures:

Chelsea v United
    Spurs v Leicester
    Arsenal v Spurs
    United v Arsenal
    Chelsea v Spurs

Every win we get is going to be points gained on one of our rivals each week. We've had a fantastic start to the season and set up a really good foundation on which we have to build now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

New Balance on there Facebook page said they will have a special announcement with Klopp tomorrow at 1;30 pm.

They're going to supply him with New Balance elastic so that his glasses don't fall off during games.

• SlickRic wrote: »
    Speaking of 'easy narrative', just on the bit in bold.

this is the easiest thing to throw out in the world, and firstly, it's hilarious, particularly with the amount of people who got on Klopp's back for not using Rodgers' squad better.
    You do realize the excuse used by Liverpool fans stating that these are not Klopps players these are Rodgers players.

we are not 'a year ahead of you'. are City and Utd not on a par in terms of development then? are Chelsea not too? they both have managers who have come in with new ideas and some new players. can you use that excuse with them? Are Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Leicester favourites because they've had their managers longer?

Like fúck they are.
    Yes your are, it took a full year for Klopp to implement this system effectively and in a more consistent manner. Are you saying that no other team deserves the same amount of time at the very least?
    City & Chelsea are in the same position as we are. Utd are 2 points behind Chelsea and 5 behind City. Whats you point exactly? Not seeing much difference in the point scale of things at current. All three clubs are work in progress.
    Chelsea tried to go toe to toe against Klopps system and got ripped apart. Jose chose the latter and got a result

'Needing time to develop' excuses the odd thing here and there, but it's played up far too much by all football fans. most of those players have been training together for months now, and those who haven't, are world class by all accounts, so it's not this massive chore for them that some would like to believe. it's an easy media soundbite.

Liverpool weren't favourites last night simply because they're used to each other for longer. that's so simplistic, and I've seen it bandied around as if it's fact. if it even accounts for 2% of a team's level of performance in mid-October, I'd be shocked.
    I have clearly call out the system he has implemented already, you chose not to highlight it in my OP.
    "Why play openly knowing that Klopp was going to predictably play a currently very effective pressing game and end up losing?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

In the next 5 game weeks we play West Brom, Crystal Palace, Watford, Southampton, and Sunderland. Also featuring in the next 5 game weeks are these following fixtures:

Chelsea v United
    Spurs v Leicester
    Arsenal v Spurs
    United v Arsenal
    Chelsea v Spurs

Every win we get is going to be points gained on one of our rivals each week. We've had a fantastic start to the season and set up a really good foundation on which we have to build now.

Eh I don't think we'll need to worry about Leicester this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I can see their point: a more open game would have suited us more.

Whether out not this was wise will depend on their results against Chelsea and Arsenal; and ours in the same weekends. If get they lose (or even get draws) and we win, theyll be seven points behind top for and more off the title.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Last night's game was boring.
    Analysis of it is proving equally tedious.
    West Brom this weekend.
    Based on last night, at least we'll know what to expect.

SlickRic wrote: »

'Needing time to develop' excuses the odd thing here and there, but it's played up far too much by all football fans. ..........

We get alot of it in here.
    There's talk of us finishing 5th/6th or worese being fine once we play nice football as Klopp needs time to implement his ideas etc etc

Under Rodgers outside the top4 was unacceptable after we finished 2nd in 2013/2014.

Funny ole crowd are some.

I know he's a hypocrite but its uncanny.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

NukaCola wrote: »

Hoist by his own petard....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

You will see a picture of Mourinho in the Oxford dictionary right beside the word hypocrite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Benzino wrote: »
    For some reason, I don't think Klopp would go to Barca or Madrid.
    I think Klopp means what he says about developing players rather than breaking world transfer records.
    I think this is the reason he came to Liverpool and why he fits well with the owners plans. He could have easily gone to manage at a club with more money behind them, but he didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

was so frustrating watching it last ngt but ya know what,im soooo fckin glad we weren't mugged with 1 nill loss after it..would be insufferable today.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Never wanted to win anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The odd thing about Karius is he has barely had to make a save so far. All right, Ibra had a brain freeze moment expecting a United player to be in the box what was he thinking?

I do think we are getting better defensively but Palace and Pulis will be the test of that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Chelsea v United
    Spurs v Leicester
    Arsenal v Spurs
    United v Arsenal
    Chelsea v Spurs

Nothing easy about away games to Southampton and Palace. One game at a time lads, been burnt to often over the years calling the next 5 games on paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Liverpool take the lead, clever finish by Harry Wilson.

We are being linked to Italian striker Belotti.

We really need to think twice about buying Italians especially ones with names so close to Mario's:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We are being linked to Italian striker Belotti.

We really need to think twice about buying Italians especially ones with names so close to Mario's:P

Don't belittle Belotti!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

We are being linked to Italian striker Belotti...

DONT DO THAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Belotti? Who is this Belotti?

t3MYV.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The media just let him get away with it time and time again.
    Was that after the West Ham game?

Cheeky goal by Wilson in the U23's

https://streamable.com/bsd4

Game finished 1-1

razorblunt wrote: »
    The media just let him get away with it time and time again.
    Was that after the West Ham game?

Yea, Sam Allardyce was the manager at the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That terrible standard bundesliga that klopp got relegated out of when finishing 7th looked quite good tonight in the leverkusen against spurs game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Not had time to check since monday morning, did not get to see the match yet ,i thought the way it was heading there would be a heap of posters banned, kind of like checking your limbs after a bad crash, looks like we got away light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

That makes no sense, Klopp spent 60 million in his last season at Dortmund and almost got them relegated. Mourinho spent 10 million at Porto and won a league and champions league.

Yeah yeah Mourinho won the champion's league with Porto during a very much outlier year in that comp. Monaco were there final opponents ffs! Ranieri won the league with Leicester so does that mean he is now better than Mourinho? Football can be a very high variance game at times, the unexpected happens but in general we all know Mourinho likes to play with a loaded dice. he joined Chelsea when they had the biggest war chest the game had ever seen at that point. he joined inter Milan when juve were relegated for match fixing and Milan were deducted points and also suffered years of instability as a result and then went to Real Madrid, back to chelsea when both teams basically have unlimited funds again and now onto Utd who have been one of the richest clubs in the world for what 20 years?? More?? Klopp on the other hand chose Mainz, Dortmund and Liverpool and massivley massively overachieved with the first two and still chose Liverpool even tho he could have walked into any job in the world, including UTD, which takes a certain character and I would not change Klopp for ANY manager in the world right now. Can you say the same about Mourinho? Oh please say the same about Mourinho, I could use a good laugh!!! :pac:

They were bottom on the 2nd of February 2015, and in the end were only 11 points above a relegation spot. It was only with about 6 games to go they could start to breath easy. A massive scare for the second best team in Germany.

And who made them the second best team in Germany in the first place? Arguably the Utd job is actually the toughest challenge Mourinho has ever taken on as a manager so kudos to him for that at least.

• Advertisement

Klopp is a chequebook manager just as much as Mourinho, 75 million in his first 18 months and if he could spend more he would and will eventually.

Ok I actually replied to a few of your previous posts but I think this is the one that really makes me think your either on the wind up or just so dillusion that really either way it's worth retorting. You know that guy at the end of a party when everyone else is gone home but he is sitting on the couch really drunk and is taking no hints that he should leave? You always make me think of that guy, I don't know why! :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement