Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Yep he did, if Klopp was at a bigger club he'd be signing bigger names for bigger money too, his spending has already jumped drastically from Mainz to Dortmund to Liverpool and if he ever earns a seat at one of the top 5 clubs in the world he'll be spending more. It doesn't mean he will be successful, Van Gaal spent a fortune and did nothing with it.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha.............hahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaahhahahahahaahhahaha......hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahha, oh you're a gas man! Just stop posting in here will yeah please. Your posts are really really terrible, sure good for a laugh occasionally, but generally terrible. (Mods I am attacking the pots here not the poster!) I'm sure you are a lovely guy but your posts really are utter tripe. Like I said, either WUM or dellusional or incredibly dim. None of the above is fun tho and you make it exctruciating for someone like me trying to catch up Liverpool news cos it's pages and pages of nonsense. I mean really. each one of your last few posts are more ridiculous than the last. I know there is an ignore button which is I'm sure what you will respond with but I am just pleading one boards poster to another here, just go home man, you have massively outstayed your welcome!
    Now just like the drunk guy at the end of the party you can choose to take the advice that everyone knows you should or you can just continue being a nuisance, up to you.

mormank wrote: »
    ........... .........
    Now just like the drunk guy at the end of the party you can choose to take the advice that everyone knows you should or you can just continue being a nuisance, up to you.

Quite often the person giving the advice is the bigger numpty than the "drunk guy".

Rayne wanted Klopp too which makes it even saltier!

Between this and the relegation stuff it's been a funny few days

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Will we see Daniel Sturridge at Anfield next season??

I thought the crowd were very harsh on him Monday night. The moans were very audible anytime he made a mistake. Whereas there was barely a murmer from the crowd when Firmino, who made as many mistakes if not more, gave away the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Will we see Daniel Sturridge at Anfield next season??

I thought the crowd were very harsh on him Monday night. The moans were very audible anytime he made a mistake. Whereas there was barely a murmer from the crowd when Firmino, who made as many mistakes if not more, gave away the ball.

But look at the difference between them without the ball. Work rate, tracking back, pressing etc etc - a lot easier to forgive a mistake if the guy is working hard to make up for it.

Think he could be gone as early as January if we can line up a replacement more suitable to Klopp's style

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'd hate to see Sturridge go. The Utd game is not one to judge him on, he had no space whatsoever, and when he was dropping back, we already had someone there to pick up the ball.

He probably will never suit the Klopp way, but, he is still a f*cking incredible player when fit and firing. I'd rather we had that option than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Problem with sturridge is he never seems to have gave everything,always looks to be playing within himself,we know why of course but it still does not portray him well on the pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'd hate to see Sturridge go. The Utd game is not one to judge him on, he had no space whatsoever, and when he was dropping back, we already had someone there to pick up the ball.

He probably will never suit the Klopp way, but, he is still a f*cking incredible player when fit and firing. I'd rather we had that option than not.
    There's the rub, though.

He IS fit and firing. He just cannot run anymore.

Until he went off and Lallana came on, the United defenders were put under no pressure. Firmino took up the central position and all of a sudden, they looked uncomfortable with players buzzing around behind them and playing the lanes looking for through balls.

Sturridge was a great player but looking at him through rose tinted glasses from 3 years ago isn't going to sort the situation where he seems to diminish our attack rather than enhance it.

Sturridge isn't scoring at the moment, he's going through a very bad spell. Last season he still scored at a decent goals per minute rate, this season not so.

Klopp gets credit with Lallana's improvement, Firmino's improvement (even though he played less than 8 games under Rodgers when new to the PL and iirc injured for a bit of that), Milner at LB being great etc etc.

Surely Sturridge not scoring is not 100% Sturridge's fault?

Put Sturridge into any other PL team and he'll score goals IMO.

We'll need another striker anyway as Sturridge doesn't fit (seemingly), Origi & Ings aren't good enough. Having 3 AMs running about pressing like mad etc without an out and out striker won't cut the mustard longterm IMO.

Would a peak Robbie Fowler suit a Klopp team, nope IMO.

Waits for the rage etc......lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We are being linked to Italian striker Belotti.

We really need to think twice about buying Italians especially ones with names so close to Mario's:P
    Not sure why you seem to be posting about a link to this & that player every few days it seems. Its very likely made up stories. I doubt we are after striker too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MD1990 wrote: »
    Not sure why you seem to be posting about a link to this & that player every few days it seems. Its very likely made up stories. I doubt we are after striker too.

See what the title of the thread called......... Superthread Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017!

If you have an issue with the post report it.

Edit; we are also being linked again today with Fabian Schar.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There's the rub, though.

He IS fit and firing. He just cannot run anymore.

Until he went off and Lallana came on, the United defenders were put under no pressure. Firmino took up the central position and all of a sudden, they looked uncomfortable with players buzzing around behind them and playing the lanes looking for through balls.

Sturridge was a great player but looking at him through rose tinted glasses from 3 years ago isn't going to sort the situation where he seems to diminish our attack rather than enhance it.

The Lallana change was great, it created a more dynamic front 3 or 4 with more moving pieces. But it pushed our forward line back a bit.
    Sturridge doesn't do that running around which is not useful when playing against a back 7. But he gives us a higher front line.

He needs to be ready to rotated in and out depending on who we are playing I reckon. If there is more space, I'd have him in there no problem.

Augeo wrote: »
    Sturridge isn't scoring at the moment, he's going through a very bad spell. Last season he still scored at a decent goals per minute rate, this season not so.

Klopp gets credit with Lallana's improvement, Firmino's improvement (even though he played less than 8 games under Rodgers when new to the PL and iirc injured for a bit of that), Milner at LB being great etc etc.

Surely Sturridge not scoring is not 100% Sturridge's fault?

We'll need another striker anyway as Sturridge doesn't fit (seemingly), Origi & Ings aren't good enough. Having 3 AMs running about pressing like mad etc without an out and out striker won't cut the mustard longterm IMO.

Waits for the rage etc......lol
    I certainly would not write off those 2 players. Origi is off form,young & Ings is coming off a serious injury after a very good start at us last year although he might need a loan move.
    No one cares if Sturridge would score for any other PL team tbh.
    Also Klopp has managed Sturridge very well & drastically reduced his injuries. Sturridge will start scoring again just can't seeing being a regular starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭54and56

Not any other PL team but a team which plays to his strengths and he'll always score goals. There's no doubt about his natural talent but just as Benteke didn't suit the Klopp style it seems increasing clear that Sturridge doesn't either. For whatever reason (injuries, confidence or will power) he just doesn't do the work required of him off the ball.

If it comes to a straight choice between keeping Sturridge but changing the way we play when he's on the field or getting rid of him and sticking to the way Klopp wants to play I think there's only going to be one winner.
    Origi & Ings aren't good enough.
    It's a bit early to be calling Origi as not good enough and same goes for Ings who hasn't played any PL games yet under Klopp.
    Correct but I bet a peak Ian Rush or King Kenny would have. Not all great players fit into all styles of play.

No one cares if Sturridge would score for any other PL team tbh.
    Also Klopp has managed Sturridge very well & drastically reduced his injuries.

As a manager I'd expect Klopp to be able to get Sturridge scoring.

If Sturridge not being injured is deemed to be a credit to Klopp if Sturridge gets injured is it Klopp's fault? No, clearly, we need to be a bit more realistic with whats causes and prevents injury IMO.

See what the title of the thread called......... Superthread Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017!

If you have an issue with the post report it.

Edit; we are also being linked again today with Fabian Schar.
    If you want to post these links to these players then you can.
    But really our real transfer targets & are usually leaked by the Echo,Barrett etc & most on this forum know that. Falling for click bait links like the one's you are posting is pointless imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sturridge is, for my money, in the worst form of his career. He's also been relatively healthy for us this season. I think he's hit that mark where explosive players with an injury history start to decline.

I hope I'm wrong, as on form he was as exciting a player as I've seen play for Liverpool, genuinely, but he's not that guy at the moment. I'd rather start Firmino up front every game until proven otherwise.

If you want to post these links to these players then you can.

Well thank you for giving me permission to post on the thread very kind of you.

It's a bit early to be calling Origi as not good enough and same goes for Ings who hasn't played any PL games yet under Klopp.

Again, opinion, he's not going to turn out to be good enough IMO, I hope he does. I can't see him getting much gametime this season either, nor Ings.

I like both as players but if one turns out to be top class I'd be pleasantly surprised.
    ...Correct but I bet a peak Ian Rush or King Kenny would have. Not all great players fit into all styles of play.

So if you have Fowler but you don't have Rush or Kenny what's the prudent thing to do?

Np problem. But any more links just run them by me first. I will see if they can be approved to be posted on the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Klopp will ditch Sturridge or Sturridge will put in a transfer request - the former doesn't need the latter and the latter won't hang about to start Cup games and be the bench option in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Klopp will ditch Sturridge or Sturridge will put in a transfer request - the former doesn't need the latter and the latter won't hang about to start Cup games and be the bench option in the league.

This, I reckon.

We're more comfortable and fluid without Sturridge on the pitch, and he is at the wrong age to be sitting on the bench every week.

I just wonder who he'll move to - I don't imagine he'll come cheap when it comes to wages, and I don't think he'd want to drop too far down the division either!

In the current market a club like Stoke or West Ham could buy him or Newcastle when they come up as they almost certainly will. 30m? Easy peasy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Mr Coulson, you seem to top the charts so to speak in every Liverpool thread in regards to frequency of posts, you have 398 already in this one, I have a slight gripe with that in that I don't believe there is much quality in your posts, Harry for instance posts a lot but he brings a lot to the table, I think you need to up your game. Now I know people will say I bring fck all to the table either but that's fair enough but I don't of course clog up the thread, just an observation, that's all, no abuse, just looking out for the good of the thread and commenting on posting styles not posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

When Coutinho Firmino and Mane are played up top they all contribute, press hard effectively, and link up well.......For whatever reason Sturridge doesn't seem able to do this, at least on current form......the 3 mentioned are scoring and contributing every game and are as fluid a front 3 as you'll see in the EPL.......

Sturridge cant do what Firmino does centrally in Klopps setup, isn't as effective out wide and doesn't want to play out wide. Not really Klopps fault if Sturridge cant adapt his game. If I'm Klopp, why would I build a team around Sturridge to score goals when my system is already working effectively?

Sturridge can be used and is a nice option to have, but can he be used as a plan B? United had an easy time with Sturridge and these are the kind of games a plan B is needed. He's too good to be on the bench IMO but I wouldn't start him if everyone is fit unfortunately.

Mr Coulson, you seem to top the charts so to speak in every Liverpool thread in regards to frequency of posts, you have 398 already in this one, I have a slight gripe with that in that I don't believe there is much quality in your posts, Harry for instance posts a lot but he brings a lot to the table, I think you need to up your game. Now I know people will say I bring fck all to the table either but that's fair enough but I don't of course clog up the thread, just an observation, that's all, no abuse, just looking out for the good of the thread and commenting on posting styles not posters.

I'd like to distance myself from this post. :)

In the current market a club like Stoke or West Ham could buy him or Newcastle when they come up as they almost certainly will. 30m? Easy peasy!

I'd imagine he'll go abroad rather than play for mid to low table PL teams.

NukaCola wrote: »
    ................United had an easy time with Sturridge Coutinho Firmino and Mane and these are the kind of games a plan B is needed. He's too good to be on the bench IMO but I wouldn't start him if everyone is fit unfortunately.

It's Klopp's job to have the plan B.
    He doesn't seem to.]

added in the 3 lads aloong with Sturridge as that's how I saw the game.

It's Klopp's job to have the plan B.
    He doesn't seem to.

Valid point, but what does Sturridge bring to a brick wall defensive setup? He done nothing against United. How was Firmino able to find the space against United in the same setup that Sturridge played in where Sturridge let the game pass him by?

Sturridge is a great option who is off form, of course a manager should be able to fit him in to a system but what does he bring that no-one else can in the current team? Is he needed for a plan B setup?

• Advertisement

I do find it amusing that I only post my opinions about Liverpool along with some gossip and rumors and a little bit of thanks whoring (Who doesn't love a bit of thanks whoring) yet two or so posters seem to post more about myself and one or two posters posts (alliteration?) than they do about Liverpool.

I do know crazy stalkers is part and parcel of the internet but years of not engaging with them and they still don't get the message that they are being ignored is some kind of (?) answers on a postcard and maybe it's time for them to take a break from the internet totally I think if some random stranger on the internet really gets you that stalkerish it's time to say Au Revoir to the internet for a while.

Anyway Sturridge won't hand in a transfer request what player does in this day and age.

A move to Italy would suit him best to try and get his career back on track but I doubt he is as brave as Hart to do it and will end up at a midtable London club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

I do find it amusing that I only post my opinions about Liverpool along with some gossip and rumors and a little bit of thanks whoring (Who doesn't love a bit of thanks whoring) yet two or so posters seem to post more about myself and one or two posters posts than they do about Liverpool.

I do know crazy stalkers is part and parcel of the internet but years of not engaging with them and they still don't get the message that they are being ignored is some kind of (?) answers on a postcard and maybe it's time for them to take a break from the internet totally I think if some random stranger on the internet really gets you that stalkerish it's time to say Au Revoir to the internet for a while.

Anyway Sturridge won't hand in a transfer request what player does in this day and age.

A move to Italy would suit him best to try and get his career back on track but I doubt he is as brave as Hart to do it and will end up at a midtable London club.

Do you not know it's all your fault?!?! Take your agent gun and shoot yourself in your agent face!

Not really of course, their behaviour is a bit OTT though. Not sure why they feel the need to pass comment on you?

Valid point, but what does Sturridge bring to a brick wall defensive setup? He done nothing against United. How was Firmino able to find the space against United in the same setup that Sturridge played in where Sturridge let the game pass him by?..............

Maybe Lallana would have helped Sturridge in the way that he helped Firmino.

Lallana did well when he came on, what position did he take up? Who was there before Lallana came on?

It's a team effort, the team didn't perfrom in the first 60 mins or so, that wasn't due to Sturridge IMO.

So if you have Fowler but you don't have Rush or Kenny what's the prudent thing to do?
    If you have Fowler and do have Llanna, Coutinho, Mane and Firmino you either sacrifice Fowler and let him off to some big spending up and coming team where he can be the Galáctico for a few years and bring someone in who will better compliment Llanna, Coutinho, Mane and Firmino albeit he may not be as good an out and out finisher as Fowler or you build your team around him which means not getting the best out of Llanna, Coutinho, Mane and Firmino and getting in players who can play the type of football Fowler will thrive best on.

It's A or B. There's no point fudging it and trying to make room for a player who doesn't really fit the style of play. We saw enough of that with Stevie's last season or two and Man U are starting the same cr@p with Rooney although I think Mourinho is strong enough to keep him benched unless he can genuinely rediscover the type of form which allows him to displace Rashford or Ibra.

I reckon Italy would be a terrible choice for him, it would like be playing against Utd every week. Italian footy is all about tight defending and counter.

I just wonder who he'll move to - I don't imagine he'll come cheap when it comes to wages, and I don't think he'd want to drop too far down the division either!

I think he'd make a great partner for Kane at Spurs.

• Advertisement

............. We saw enough of that with Stevie's last season or two ...........

2013/2014?

To be fair Gerrard played great football most of that season. He had many terrific games.

We also must remember Klopp hasn't played Sturridge that much this season, he's not a starter. There is no problem really, he's not being accomodated.

I reckon Italy would be a terrible choice for him, it would like be playing against Utd every week. Italian footy is all about tight defending and counter.

I just think the pace of the game would be a lot slower there for him the French league might suit but he/most English players would prefer to stay in England than try to play abroad.

Celtic with his former manager might work but I'd say we would end up playing most of his wages where ever he goes if he does go. English clubs might be able to splash big on transfers but would they match his £150k a week wages with his injury history.

Maybe Lallana would have helped Sturridge in the way that he helped Firmino.

Lallana did well when he came on, what position did he take up? Who was there before Lallana came on?

It's a team effort, the team didn't perfrom in the first 60 mins or so, that wasn't due to Sturridge IMO.

Absolutely, and ironically Lallanas emergence as a key player for us doesn't help Sturridge IMO. For one Klopp trusts (maybe not the right would) Firmino and Coutinho more than Sturridge for whatever reason, maybe because he likes what Firmino can do centrally and Coutinho out wide is better than both Firmino/Danny in that position.

I'd be confident Danny can do a much better job with that support that Lallana gives from midfield, I just dont see Klopp dropping Firmino any time soon.

I'm in no way a tactical wizard but IMO Danny works better with runners off of him rather than being the actually runner. The runners gives him space and he can be lethal in those situations, BR done this well in his 13/14 setup with Suarez, Sterling, Coutinho buzzing around making space for Sturridge to exploit.

Could be lethal

I just think the pace of the game would be a lot slower there for him the French league might suit but he/most English players would prefer to stay in England than try to play abroad.

Celtic with his former manager might work but I'd say we would end up playing most of his wages where ever he goes if he does go. English clubs might be able to splash big on transfers but would they match his £150k a week wages with his injury history.

The French league would be perfect for him, or the Spanish.

But I still wouldn't want to sell him :)

• Advertisement

.......... they still don't get the message that they are being ignored ..............

Writing a few paragraphs about them would suggest you're not great at ignoring :)

Jaysus if we could get some kind of money plus Sturridge swap deal for Kane we'd be on a winner there :P

But he's one of there own I can't see Kane leaving.

Unless Galactico utd smash the world record for him then Levy would sell.

The French league would be perfect for him, or the Spanish.

But I still wouldn't want to sell him :)

There is a place for him in the squad no doubt but as a first team starter no that's not it.

If we had started Lallana on Monday and had Sturridge had come on for the last 15 minutes that could have worked out in our favor.

Players were going down with cramp with ten minutes to go that is when Sturridge could have been useful we had run them rag git and gaps would appear for him. That goes for most games.

But as has been said by most he won't want to be an impact sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

mormank wrote: »
    Yeah yeah Mourinho won the champion's league with Porto during a very much outlier year in that comp. Monaco were there final opponents ffs! Ranieri won the league with Leicester so does that mean he is now better than Mourinho? Football can be a very high variance game at times, the unexpected happens but in general we all know Mourinho likes to play with a loaded dice. he joined Chelsea when they had the biggest war chest the game had ever seen at that point. he joined inter Milan when juve were relegated for match fixing and Milan were deducted points and also suffered years of instability as a result and then went to Real Madrid, back to chelsea when both teams basically have unlimited funds again and now onto Utd who have been one of the richest clubs in the world for what 20 years?? More?? Klopp on the other hand chose Mainz, Dortmund and Liverpool and massivley massively overachieved with the first two and still chose Liverpool even tho he could have walked into any job in the world, including UTD, which takes a certain character and I would not change Klopp for ANY manager in the world right now. Can you say the same about Mourinho? Oh please say the same about Mourinho, I could use a good laugh!!! :pac:

On his day Klopp can be in the top 5 or 6 managers in the world, on his day Mourinho is in the top 1. That's the difference, Klopp has time on his side but he would do very well to achieve half of what Mourinho has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

On his day Klopp can be in the top 5 or 6 managers in the world, on his day Mourinho is in the top 1. That's the difference, Klopp has time on his side but he would do very well to achieve half of what Mourinho has.

Measuring managers like that is ludicrous, but then again you already know that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yea, Sam Allardyce was the manager at the time....

I'm not a huge Big Sam fan but I loved his reaction to that when told about it, he just burst out laughing and pretty much called out the media as betting that none of them called him out on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

If he's that bad why did you want him at UTD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

xabi wrote: »
    If he's that bad why did you want him at UTD?

Did you even read what I said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Did you even read what I said?

Your rubbishing Klopp and glorifying up Mourinho yet you wanted Klopp at UTD. I know which id rather have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

While we have you here Rayne, Tell me more about that young lad Rashford, he looks a fairly promising RB from what I saw the other night, does he have a bright future in your opinion?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement