Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

xabi wrote: »
    Your rubbishing Klopp and glorifying up Mourinho yet you wanted Klopp at UTD. I know which id rather have.

Yeah I really rubbished him by saying he can be in the top 5 or 6 managers in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Mr Coulson, you seem to top the charts so to speak in every Liverpool thread in regards to frequency of posts, you have 398 already in this one, I have a slight gripe with that in that I don't believe there is much quality in your posts, Harry for instance posts a lot but he brings a lot to the table, I think you need to up your game. Now I know people will say I bring fck all to the table either but that's fair enough but I don't of course clog up the thread, just an observation, that's all, no abuse, just looking out for the good of the thread and commenting on posting styles not posters.

This message was paid for by the 'Harry Palmr for top poster' campaign 2016.™

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Harry can make this thread great again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I do know crazy stalkers is part and parcel of the internet but years of not engaging with them and they still don't get the message that they are being ignored is some kind of (?) answers on a postcard and maybe it's time for them to take a break from the internet totally I think if some random stranger on the internet really gets you that stalkerish it's time to say Au Revoir to the internet for a while.

I must be missing something. What have crazy stalkers got to do with pointing out that the quality of your posts does not match the quantity? Does that mean for example when you criticise Sturridge you are his crazy stalker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Yeah I really rubbished him by saying he can be in the top 5 or 6 managers in the world.

yep, he can be meaning he's not there yet, he was your no.1 choice to replace Moyes, then he became worse than Van Gal, now hes 7 or 8 in the world, make up your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

NukaCola wrote: »
    Absolutely, and ironically Lallanas emergence as a key player for us doesn't help Sturridge IMO. For one Klopp trusts (maybe not the right would) Firmino and Coutinho more than Sturridge for whatever reason, maybe because he likes what Firmino can do centrally and Coutinho out wide is better than both Firmino/Danny in that position.

I'd be confident Danny can do a much better job with that support that Lallana gives from midfield, I just dont see Klopp dropping Firmino any time soon.

I'm in no way a tactical wizard but IMO Danny works better with runners off of him rather than being the actually runner. The runners gives him space and he can be lethal in those situations, BR done this well in his 13/14 setup with Suarez, Sterling, Coutinho buzzing around making space for Sturridge to exploit.
    VOTE #1

Harry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭54and56

On his day Klopp can be in the top 5 or 6 managers in the world, on his day Mourinho is in the top 1. That's the difference, Klopp has time on his side but he would do very well to achieve half of what Mourinho has.

Nice of you to promote Klopp from 7th to 5/6 but I'm not too surprised you think Mourinho is way better than he actually is.

I guess if you use historical performance to judge current performance you end up with Rooney being Utd's best player and Mourinho as the worlds best manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

As the topic has been touched on...

We want people to post more, not less. Boards is already on the decline, no need to encourage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Milkers wrote: »
    I must be missing something. What have crazy stalkers got to do with pointing out that the quality of your posts does not match the quantity? Does that mean for example when you criticise Sturridge you are his crazy stalker?

Going through post histories of posters bringing up things they posted years ago and how many times they post it over years and counting how many likes they get over a period of time and then counting how many posts they written that seems pretty stakerish to me.

If you get upset about random strangers getting likes and posting a lot on the internet maybe just maybe you need a break form the interent.

• Advertisement

VOTE #1

Harry

I'm Trump to Harry's Hillary :D

Thanks whoring post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Knex. wrote: »
    As the topic has been touched on...

We want people to post more, not less. Boards is already on the decline, no need to encourage it.

Personally I'd rather read 10 good posts than 20 ****e ones.

Going through post histories of posters bringing up things they posted years ago and how many times they post it over years and counting how many likes they get over a period of time and then counting how many posts they written that seems pretty stakerish to me.

If you get upset about random strangers getting likes and posting a lot on the internet maybe just maybe you need a break form the interent.

Who is upset?
    You seem to be the only one upset in here.

BTW thanks per posts are in your stats at a glance .... Thanked 24,712 Times in 7,030 Posts

The effort you detail is in your head I expect.

Perhaps you should ignore those that upset you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nice of you to promote Klopp from 7th to 5/6 but I'm not too surprised you think Mourinho is way better than he actually is.

I guess if you use historical performance to judge current performance you end up with Rooney being Utd's best player and Mourinho as the worlds best manager.

5th best but almost got Dortmund relegated.

That "relagation" year thing, Dortmund were no worse than Chelsea were last season surely? No talk of relegation there iirc.

Define current performance

• Advertisement

Melissa Reddy interviewing Klopp live on NB Football facebook page now for the special announcement.

NB going to be the new stand sponsors is my bet.

Klopp.... "I'm a lucky bastard to be here!" :)

If Sturridge doesn't work then we'll need a top striker. We'll win no major trophies without one imo

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    If Sturridge doesn't work then we'll need a top striker. We'll win no major trophies without one imo

100% correct IMO.

Mane, Firmino & Coutinho as a front 3 complemented with Origi & Ings as options won't cut the mustard. They're scoring at the moment bla bla bla........ a season is more than 7/8 games as we all know.

Now as with most strikers I'd expect Sturridge to regain form but to do that he'll need minutes and he mightn't get them due to current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Augeo wrote: »
    Quite often the person giving the advice is the bigger numpty than the "drunk guy".

Sure sure but honestly his last 5 or 6 posts are just so insanely off the wall to put it mildly. He even repeated his post about Klopp being just as much a chequebook manager as Mourinho and others. I mean really??? That kind of nonsense comes from someone looking for a rise or a "numpty" as you so wonderfully put it! :D

Sturridge has the quality for sure but not every game he'll be suited to. In hindsight Monday was one. I think he also had a poor game. Can was worse imo but that's another debate.

Origi definitely isn't good enough and I'd be loaning him out to see does he improve

• Advertisement

mormank wrote: »
    ..........That kind of nonsense comes from someone looking for a rise ............

Indeed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

2013/2014?

To be fair Gerrard played great football most of that season. He had many terrific games.

We also must remember Klopp hasn't played Sturridge that much this season, he's not a starter. There is no problem really, he's not being accomodated.

To be fair that was 3 seasons ago. We have finished the 14/15 and 15/16 seasons since that title tilt! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sturridge has the quality for sure but not every game he'll be suited to. In hindsight Monday was one. I think he also had a poor game. Can was worse imo but that's another debate.

Origi definitely isn't good enough and I'd be loaning him out to see does he improve

He was pretty damn good the last dozen or so games at the end of last season.

Picked up an injury in pre-season though so was a bit behind everyone else and hasn't been able to force his way back into a side that has been mostly winning games. Plus no European matches means less opportunity for time on the pitch. Don't think we can afford to loan him out though. All it takes is one Sturridge injury and we'd need him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I thought Sturridge looked off the pace on Monday, but wouldn't be writing him off just yet. It didn't help that the team upped their tempo when he came off and started actually hitting their mark with their passes, but I feel that this was coming with or without Sturridge on the pitch so he was a small bit unlucky in that regard.

One thing that I found weird though, was what Neville had to say about him pre match. He said at England, they'd be trying to get as much balk into his feet around the box and hoping he works his magic, but that they expected nothing else from him throughout the game. He also said he doesn't have the stamina for the high press Klopp likes. Now I'm no expert, but surely if the only thing standing in your way into a team is your fitness levels, it's one of the easiest things you can improve in that you will see tangible benefits the more you put in? It's just a time investment and less to do with intrinsic abilities.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On managers and their quality it really fits in with the rest of the short term views that people hold on football. If for example Liverpool won the league this season (I know, I know) and finished 4th next season, while if offered that now every Liverpool fan would be ecstatic and offer to sacrifice their first born for it, I can guarantee that there would be the odd one that said after not coming close to retaining it that Klopp has lost it and we need someone new in, and lots of opposition fans would be saying the same.

Klopp is the perfect manager for Liverpool at the minute in my view. He is not perfect of course, but perfect for us. Mourinho is of course an excellent manager but I have come to despise him over the years (as I'm sure many utd fans would have said too this time last season) but that doesn't change the fact that he is and has been a fantastic manager. I certainly wouldn't swap Klopp for him though as a Liverpool fan and seeing what we have of Klopp so far.

Define current performance
    If either of those two words are too complex for you to understand I think it's best if you invest your online time in something productive

Now I'm no expert, but surely if the only thing standing in your way into a team is your fitness levels, it's one of the easiest things you can improve in that you will see tangible benefits the more you put in? It's just a time investment and less to do with intrinsic abilities.
    It's also an attitude and motivation thing. If Sturridge doesn't accept he needs to up his fitness in order to nail down a starting place it's going to be hard for him to put the work in to get that fit.

5starpool wrote: »
    On managers and their quality it really fits in with the rest of the short term views that people hold on football. If for example Liverpool won the league this season (I know, I know) and finished 4th next season, while if offered that now every Liverpool fan would be ecstatic and offer to sacrifice their first born for it, I can guarantee that there would be the odd one that said after not coming close to retaining it that Klopp has lost it and we need someone new in, and lots of opposition fans would be saying the same.

Klopp is the perfect manager for Liverpool at the minute in my view. He is not perfect of course, but perfect for us. Mourinho is of course an excellent manager but I have come to despise him over the years (as I'm sure many utd fans would have said too this time last season) but that doesn't change the fact that he is and has been a fantastic manager. I certainly wouldn't swap Klopp for him though as a Liverpool fan and seeing what we have of Klopp so far.

Klopp is a class manager most United fans would have been delighted to get him - anybody saying otherwise is either massively biased or an idiot imo. The fact that somebody like him, who would have been coveted by all of the top teams globally, chose Liverpool, who if we're being honest haven't been a top team consistently on the pitch for a number of years, is testament to the draw of the club and the support of the fans to keep the club relevant during the less than stellar years.

I also think that anybody claiming Mourinho to be anything other than one of the best managers ever is not being honest with themselves either. I get why people wouldn't want him at their club as he is an abrasive dickhead at times, but denying what he has done in the game and trying to wave it away as anything other than him being a great manager is idiocy.

It's also an attitude and motivation thing. If Sturridge doesn't accept he needs to up his fitness in order to nail down a starting place it's going to be hard for him to put the work in to get that fit.

Yeah, and I'd say if that is the case, Klopp would be livid. I mean I don't get it, you have a chance to be part of something big that he's trying to build, go run a few laps after training or whatever and reap the rewards. I genuinely can't understand how he can't make it work, he has all of the other attributes imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm Trump to Harry's Hillary :D

Nah you're Governor Thomas E. Dewey*!

*political reference for old geezers

• Advertisement

mormank wrote: »
    To be fair that was 3 seasons ago. We have finished the 14/15 and 15/16 seasons since that title tilt! :(

Gerrard wasn't here 15/16, the point made was about his last season or two. It didn't apply to 13/14 imo as he played great stuff.

Nah you're Governor Thomas E. Dewey*!

*political reference for old geezers

Always the runner up :(

Yeah, and I'd say if that is the case, Klopp would be livid. I mean I don't get it, you have a chance to be part of something big that he's trying to build, go run a few laps after training or whatever and reap the rewards. I genuinely can't understand how he can't make it work, he has all of the other attributes imo.

If that is the case Klopp wouldn't be picking him at all. Origi would be pickedf ahead of him if fit.

Gerrard wasn't here 15/16, the point made was about his last season or two. It didn't apply to 13/14 imo as he played great stuff.
    I sit corrected. I should have said his last season. His contribution both as a player and captain in 13/14 was superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'd say we just censor the internet so.

Good and bad content are not mutually exclusive. You will never have the former without first the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Harry can make this thread great again!

#gegenposting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Always the runner up :(

No, you won - Didn't you see the news?

DeweyDefeatsTruman.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Rayne.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Pretty sure base fotness is not the issue with Sturridge. It's just he's not the type of player to harry and bust his ass. Anyone who has played even modest 5 aside knows there's some guys who are always at you, nipping at your heels, busting a gut to close down, chasing lost causes etc. And then there are others who just aren't wired that way, whether they just don't have the same appetite for hard work or whatever I don't know, it just doesn't seem in them. It just doesn't seem in Sturridge to play the high octane pressing game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Whatever about nonsense posters coming in stirring, this thread is easily wound up to be honest.

If either of those two words are too complex for you to understand I think it's best if you invest your online time in something productive

Cmon don't cop out of it.

Eddie Howe is surely the best manager in world football right now on current performance , after his scintillating attacking performance in the last game, also Mourinho would rank higher than Klopp after his draw away from home.

So what is current performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Cmon don't cop out of it.

Eddie Howe is surely the best manager in world football right now on current performance , after his scintillating attacking performance in the last game, also Mourinho would rank higher than Klopp after his draw away from home.

So what is current performance?

Current performance is how you are performing currently. A1, where's my gold star.. Thanks, thanks and thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Klopp will ditch Sturridge or Sturridge will put in a transfer request - the former doesn't need the latter and the latter won't hang about to start Cup games and be the bench option in the league.

Big fan of Sturridge but I'd say we are coming close to that situation, I'd say the Summer. He's too good not to be a regular starter somewhere.

Sturridge has pressed, harried and tracked back more this season, Klopp wouldn't pick him if he didn't do any of that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pretty sure base fotness is not the issue with Sturridge. It's just he's not the type of player to harry and bust his ass. Anyone who has played even modest 5 aside knows there's some guys who are always at you, nipping at your heels, busting a gut to close down, chasing lost causes etc. And then there are others who just aren't wired that way, whether they just don't have the same appetite for hard work or whatever I don't know, it just doesn't seem in them. It just doesn't seem in Sturridge to play the high octane pressing game.

Indeed...even with the loss of some of his pace, he's still faster than Firmino. He's just not the type of player to do the running Bobby does though. He could change his style yet but, as you allude to, it doesn't look like he particularly wants to. I'd say he'd rather play his natural game elsewhere than adjust himself for Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

K-9 wrote: »
    Big fan of Sturridge but I'd say we are coming close to that situation, I'd say the Summer. He's too good not to be a regular starter somewhere.

The problem is where will he go? I can't see him going abroad, unless a massive club came in which they won't and I can't see him agreeing to go to a mid table team. We won't sell to a top 4 rival unless we get a massive bid, which we'll never get from Spurs or Arsenal. I can see them trying to tempt us with low ball bids if he's sitting on the bench and hands in a transfer request. Hard to know if fsg would take the bait at 30 million, given his form, his injury record and the fact that he's not first choice.

• Advertisement

Hopefully he won't go anywhere :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Do you not know it's all your fault?!?! Take your agent gun and shoot yourself in your agent face!

Not really of course, their behaviour is a bit OTT though. Not sure why they feel the need to pass comment on you?

Leave my name out of it Paddy! We've had a run in before, so leave it out!
    So it's only your idea of a good post that we can post?
    There's a coterie of posters on here, who always seem intent on shooting do any humour or attempts at humour.
    They can't just ignore them but have to comment on it or get in little sly passive aggressive digs.
    FFS, can we all not just get along or ignore people that we find annoying. Turn the other cheek, be the bigger man, people in glass houses and throwing stones, let he who is without sin cast the first stone, etc and so on and so forth.
    We all post crap at times and stuff not everyone wants to read, just deal with it.

I'm sure I piss off some users at times or annoy people or just post drivel. We all do but

tumblr_mswbvpTiHB1szisbjo1_250.gif

Not

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really don't get the hate for Sturridge.

Ok, he had a poor game on Monday, but name me a striker who hasn't? Does that mean he's become a bad player?

He's clearly struggling with the Klopp system. Does that make him a bad player, of course not.

He has a poor injury. Is that his fault? Would some people entertain the idea that LFC medical team diagnosed his injury incorrectly and caused him more problems in the long run?

All I know is that he played well recently against Swansea even though he didn't score.

I also remember the world class finish he had in the Europa League final.

Finally I remember the blistering form and great finishing he showed in 2013/14, but of course he'll get no credit for that and it was Suarez's doing creating space for him.

People are talking absolute folly in saying that we should sell him. Also, talk of him only suiting teams in France etc, is absolute rubbish. He suited our blistering attack in 2014. He would walk into most premiership teams including some top 4 ones.

The problem is getting him to fit Klopp's system and also getting Klopp to develop him. To sell him would be a managerial failure. We already sold Benteke and I do not see how we can progress without a top striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really don't get the hate for Sturridge.

Ok, he had a poor game on Monday, but name me a striker who hasn't? Does that mean he's become a bad player?

He's clearly struggling with the Klopp system. Does that make him a bad player, of course not.

He has a poor injury. Is that his fault? Would some people entertain the idea that LFC medical team diagnosed his injury incorrectly and caused him more problems in the long run?

All I know is that he played well recently against Swansea even though he didn't score.

I also remember the world class finish he had in the Europa League final.

Finally I remember the blistering form and great finishing he showed in 2013/14, but of course he'll get no credit for that and it was Suarez's doing creating space for him.

People are talking absolute folly in saying that we should sell him. Also, talk of him only suiting teams in France etc, is absolute rubbish. He suited our blistering attack in 2014. He would walk into most premiership teams including some top 4 ones.

The problem is getting him to fit Klopp's system and also getting Klopp to develop him. To sell him would be a managerial failure. We already sold Benteke and I do not see how we can progress without a top striker.
    That seems to be the problem with him right now, the walking thing:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

That seems to be the problem with him right now, the walking thing:D

He needs to walk hard!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement