Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

That seems to be the problem with him right now, the walking thing:D

Walked himself into that, didn't he? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's not hate (shesh imagine tempering ones language to suit eh?) - it's just a cold eyed observation. Sturridge probably thinks he is too good to change for Klopp I fear, Milner wants to play so he adapts, Lallana is reborn, Henderson (about whom I have some doubt) seems to be able to take on instruction in a new role. If Daniel thinks he's above that sort of hard work then there is no place for him, never mind the pressing business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's not hate (shesh imagine tempering ones language to suit eh?) - it's just a cold eyed observation. Sturridge probably thinks he is too good to change for Klopp I fear, Milner wants to play so he adapts, Lallana is reborn, Henderson (about whom I have some doubt) seems to be able to take on instruction in a new role. If Daniel thinks he's above that sort of hard work then there is no place for him, never mind the pressing business.

There is definite hate for him in this thread from some posters.

No problem with observations based on facts but people calling him lazy, sulking and not trying etc are just biased.

I don't think that Sturridge thinks he's too good to change but just struggles with Klopp's system.

I think a lot of players would which begs the question. Should all players adapt to Klopp's system or should Klopp adapt his system to his players.

Imagine if we still had Suarez (if only!), would he do well in a Klopp side? If he didn't would people be calling on him to be sold of for Klopp to change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That seems to be the problem with him right now, the walking thing:D

Full marks; fair play.:D

Should choose my words more carefully in future.

..... Sturridge probably thinks he is too good to change for Klopp I fear, ........... If Daniel thinks he's above that sort of hard work then there is no place for him, never mind the pressing business.

I'd say your thoughts, fears etc are 100% incorrect :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

murpho999 wrote: »
    Imagine if we still had Suarez (if only!), would he do well in a Klopp side? If he didn't would people be calling on him to be sold of for Klopp to change?

I'd say he is the Kloppiest player ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Imagine if we still had Suarez (if only!), would he do well in a Klopp side?

Insofar as it's possible to be sure of anything when indulging in the hypothetical, I'm pretty sure Suarez would be an absolute monster in Klopp's set up. You'd do well to genetically engineer a forward better suited to it.

The pre-injuries Sturridge we saw in '13/'14 probably would have worked just fine in Klopp's set-up. But if he now can't bring himself to engage the afterburner for fear of breaking down, its not going to work. 2nd half, 47th min on Monday night stands out in my mind as the latest example.

It's a crying shame, desperately frustrating, but doesn't seem to be related to match fitness at this stage. Maybe he's right to mind himself the way he's doing, from his own point of view. It's unfortunate for all concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Suarez fits in any team because he works hard and is fcuking mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Sakho has Mental and Hard covered, just needs to improve on his attitude and fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I really don't get the hate for Sturridge.

Ok, he had a poor game on Monday, but name me a striker who hasn't? Does that mean he's become a bad player?

He's clearly struggling with the Klopp system. Does that make him a bad player, of course not.

He has a poor injury. Is that his fault? Would some people entertain the idea that LFC medical team diagnosed his injury incorrectly and caused him more problems in the long run?

All I know is that he played well recently against Swansea even though he didn't score.

I also remember the world class finish he had in the Europa League final.

Finally I remember the blistering form and great finishing he showed in 2013/14, but of course he'll get no credit for that and it was Suarez's doing creating space for him.

People are talking absolute folly in saying that we should sell him. Also, talk of him only suiting teams in France etc, is absolute rubbish. He suited our blistering attack in 2014. He would walk into most premiership teams including some top 4 ones.

The problem is getting him to fit Klopp's system and also getting Klopp to develop him. To sell him would be a managerial failure. We already sold Benteke and I do not see how we can progress without a top striker.
    Nearly 3 years since that period. Sturridge is not the same player since then. His past record means nothing for this season.
    I hope I'm wrong & we see the Sturridge of 13/14 but I don't see that happening although I'm sure he will start scoring soon just nit as those levels again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Augeo wrote: »
    Gerrard wasn't here 15/16, the point made was about his last season or two. It didn't apply to 13/14 imo as he played great stuff.

Touche salesman! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

No problem with observations based on facts but people calling him lazy, sulking and not trying etc are just biased.

I don't think that Sturridge thinks he's too good to change but just struggles with Klopp's system.

I think a lot of players would which begs the question. Should all players adapt to Klopp's system or should Klopp adapt his system to his players.

I get the analogy you are making but you could have chosen a better one. Suarez would be Klopp's wet dream of a striker imo. Hell he was running, harassing and chasing down defenders before it was cool! ;)

Yep, Suarez would suit a Klopp team like no other.

Bring him home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Can't understand how Henderson gets abuse for his performance Monday night thought he did well
    We really missed wijnaldum he sets the tone always on the half turn taking as little touches as necessary the opposite to can who is a fine footballer but can't see him ever fitting in to our current system takes too many touches and slow on the turn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Charlie19 wrote: »
    OwaynOTT wrote: »

Sakho has Mental and Hard covered, just needs to improve on his attitude and fitness.
    Sakho has a lot more than attitude and fitness to work on if he's to be considered for inclusion in a Liverpool tream, let alone any team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Can't understand how Henderson gets abuse for his performance Monday night thought he did well
    We really missed wijnaldum he sets the tone always on the half turn taking as little touches as necessary the opposite to can who is a fine footballer but can't see him ever fitting in to our current system takes too many touches and slow on the turn

Can fits better in the deeper position, where Henderson's been playing. I'm not too worried about it to be honest - he's way off form regardless right now, so what we're seeing isn't a true reflection of what he brings to the table.

Things can change guys, last year people referred to Lallana as "Lol anna" iirc and specifically questioned how he was an intelligent footballer.

Can and Sturridge aren't flavour of the month right now but as I said, things change.

Can was poor from the whistle. Probably down to lacking sharpness.

Uphill battle carrying someone like that in a big game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Thought Can had a decent second half.

• Advertisement

Yea, but they are in the vast minority.

The word hate gets thrown around a lot. Annoyed would be a better word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I don't think I saw anyone give Henderson abuse after the utd game.

Can seemed to take time to get up to match speed after being out for a while I wouldn't look to deep at his from yet he improved as the game went on.

Can seemed to take time to get up to match speed after being out for a while I wouldn't look to deep at his from yet he improved as the game went on.

1 poster did but it was one of those :rolleyes: posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Thought Henderson had a pretty good game against United, to be honest. Can was brutal for the first 30 minutes, but grew into the game. Expected that as he's always rusty until he gets a run of games under his belt.

Any word on Wijnaldum and Lallana for the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

NukaCola wrote: »
    Thought Can had a decent second half.

He had a very good second half in comparison to the first. His lack of first team action since the start of the season was very apparent. Poor first touch, heavy touches, sluggish etc. He really grew into the game though, and was a driving force from deep quite often in the second half and took his shot very well despite being fouled and having very little space.

Not worried at all when he gets up to match fitness.

Thought he had a decent game myself, but someone in the match thread was very, very negative. The words "stealing a living" were mentioned :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I think Can is a player that needs to be playing regularly before you see the best of him or at least needs an easing period in games if he's been out.
    Always strikes me as very lethargic when he comes back in and I thought he was a bit sharper in the second half.
    Don't think he'll ever be regarded as a super sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I wouldn't judge anyone on that Utd match. Everyone had a bad touch , slight misplaced/ mistimed passes . Maybe a hangover from the internationals and no space or time to play , coming back from injury etc.
    Utd got their tactics right and stuck to our runners like glue .
    We all knew how Jose would set up the team so I'll take the point and forget that game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

cjmc wrote: »
    Utd got their tactics right and stuck to our runners like glue .
    We all knew how Jose would set up the team so I'll take the point and forget that game

The main problem is that Jose has now drawn up a blueprint that the likes of Pulis and others will be very willing and able to replicate.

Mané in particular needs wide open space to run into and do damage in....a blanket defence totally nullifies his impact.

Unless we score an early goal on Saturday, we could have a repeat of what happened on Monday night

The United game in one pic. We'll take the point and move on.

FFBmjEC.jpg

Cartman78 wrote: »
    The main problem is that Jose has now drawn up a blueprint that the likes of Pulis and others will be very willing and able to replicate.

Mané in particular needs wide open space to run into and do damage in....a blanket defence totally nullifies his impact.

Unless we score an early goal on Saturday, we could have a repeat of what happened on Monday night

Sean Dyche apparently also drew the blueprint

I take confidence in the fact that despite solid defending we still had the 2 best chances in the game with a few half chances a weaker team may not have gotten away with.

Wij back training at least, as well as Joe....

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/788722068514897920?s=09

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Tempo needs to be quick from the offset on saturday. Hopefully gini and lallana are fit and ready to go from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gini and Adam back in Saturday hopefully, big fan of Can but this side has changed, we sorely missed their energy Monday night. Could of been a different game if they were fit from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

MD1990 wrote: »

Makes sense to give the lad game time. Hopefully he can come back and fight for a start next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Can just doesn't have the awareness yet. There was one point where he received the ball in midfield on Monday, with Clyne in space on the right. Can didn't take his eyes off the ball in the lead up to the pass or while the ball was coming into him. With no idea of who/what was around him, all he could do was touch the ball forward a bit and then play a 5 yard pass backwards to someone already marked. He needs mindfulness coaching, he is not "in the moment" as he is too anxious telling others what to do most of the time.

Pretty daming stats (if correct) showing why Sturridge is not suited to our style of play

Tackles + Interceptions per game in the PL this season:

Firmino - 2.6
    Mane - 2
    Coutinho - 2.1
    Sturridge - 0.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

True , but utd had better players doing it . Valencia , degea pulled off goal saving moments that was just brilliance on their part . The blue print for stopping Liverpool isn't a secret but not too many teams have the players and fitness to pull it off I hope.
    I do think your right about needing an early goal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Pretty daming stats (if correct) showing why Sturridge is not suited to our style of play

Firmino - 2.6
    Mane - 2
    Coutinho - 2.1
    Sturridge - 0.1
    Really shows why Firmino is the main man up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Completely agree with you in regards to Wijnaldum, he was a huge loss, lovely player. I am surprised you're defending Hendo though, maybe I'm doing you a dis-service but I thought you really were not a fan of his and weren't afraid to let us know that!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Firmino - 2.6
    Mane - 2
    Coutinho - 2.1
    Sturridge - 0.1

When Klopp became manager I really didn't think Coutinho would the kind of player Klopp would want him to be the player to run a ball down to track back to tackle.

It does show if a player has the desire and will to improve what they can achieve to go along with their natural talent.

• Advertisement

When Klopp became manager I really didn't think Coutinho would the kind of player Klopp would want him to be the player to run a ball down to track back to tackle.

It does show if a player has the desire and will to improve what they can achieve to go along with their natural talent.
    Coutinho has improved under Klopp. But under Rodgers Coutinho was also good at pressing & interceptions.

Really shows why Firmino is the main man up front.

Firmino's 2nd touch was a tackle against United for an hour, that'll pad out the stats!

Firmino's 2nd touch was a tackle against United for an hour, that'll pad out the stats!
    I would rather that than stopping & blaming your team mate for a bad pass.

100%

You don't need to be a PL manager to figure out how to upset Klopp's pressing game....... add in our less than stellar defence and an unproven keeper ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

100%

You don't need to be a PL manager to figure out how to upset Klopp's pressing game....... add in our less than stellar defence and an unproven keeper ........

I think we should have enough resources and quality to overcome the Jose/Pulis approach most of the time.

I would be confident that Klopp is acutely aware of this and is working hard on the gegen-gegenpress Plan B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Most teams that come to park the bus won't have David De Gea in goal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

cjmc wrote: »
    True , but utd had better players doing it . Valencia , degea pulled off goal saving moments that was just brilliance on their part . The blue print for stopping Liverpool isn't a secret but not too many teams have the players and fitness to pull it off I hope.
    I do think your right about needing an early goal

That's exactly the point I think people (unsurprising in fairness) don't give the utd players enough credit. De gea is a brilliant goalkeeper and Fellani, Pogba and Herrera did nothing going forward but we're very good in keeping the ball and winning little free kicks to frustrate us. Ibra is also a brilliant target man in that system. They also had a lot of pace at the back. The weaker teams in the league might have the blueprint but they won't have the players.

I would rather that than stopping & blaming your team mate for a bad pass.

I think anybody would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Completely agree with you in regards to Wijnaldum, he was a huge loss, lovely player. I am surprised you're defending Hendo though, maybe I'm doing you a dis-service but I thought you really were not a fan of his and weren't afraid to let us know that!?!

Try and call it as I see it it use to bug me how people blamed gerrard for hendersons poor performances and he wasn't great last season but he has really stepped up to the plate the last couple of months and deserves great credit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

100%

Is he that good? I would have him as proven-poor....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement