Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

They're more expansive and attacking than Man United these days to be fair to them.

Heh.

Without turning this into a United/Jose rip (again), we may actually face more of an issue against WBA if they play the same XI as they did against Spurs.

On paper, the tactic of defending well and deep makes sense against a pressing attack like ours, but it is complemented well by pacy players who can create chances on the counter.

If United had started Lingard or if Martial had been fit, for example, they may have gotten at us a little more than they did. Now, they weren't helped by Jose turning Rashford into a full back but...

WBA had Matty Phillips, Nacer Chadli and James McLean in the side last week - if we commit a lot of players forward, those three are capable of punishing on the break, especially if Rondon is on form.

Realistically, we'd be hoping that our attack would be capable of breaking WBA down regardless of who is there and, thus, not having to worry about their ability to counter but it's never that simple, is it!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Coutinho & Firmino heading back down to South America for the Internationals next month both called up by Brazil.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Coutinho & Firmino heading back down to South America for the Internationals next month both called up by Brazil.

Their second fixture then is early morning Nov 16th (our time) and our game is on Sat 19th at 3pm away to Southampton. I expect at least one of them to be on the bench, most likely Coutinho as he will get more minutes for Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Gbear wrote: »
    It's not often you solve the gk problem in one go. We had nobody good between Grobelaar and Reina.

It'll probably take several throws of the dice unless we get lucky and Karius becomes a quality keeper.

While I would have to agree with the sentiment of this post I would also like to point out that for a while there ex-Liverpool keepers made up between 25-35% of the entire population of starting keepers in the PL. Which to me would suggest that we weren't patient enough with a few of them as they were still quite young when sold. Add to that the fact that Sander Westerveld came within a hair's breath of winning La Liga with Real Sociedad I believe after he left us. Basically keepers don't peak till their 30's and too often over the years we signed young keepers with great potential only to sell them on prematurely. time and time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Where's Turtyturd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-pair-coutinho-firmino-brazil-12061537
    Very bad news for us. Very tough game away to Southampton who have probably the best CB partnership in the PL in Fonte & Van Dijk.

mosstin wrote: »
    Where's Turtyturd?

Did you not see his farewell post it makes Doughboy's look PG but don't worry he will be back soon as FurtyFurd :P No one every keeps there word about never coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Did you not see his farewell post it makes Doughboy's look PG but don't worry he will be back soon as FurtyFurd :P No one every keeps there word about never coming back.

I must have missed that as well, have a link for it?

5starpool wrote: »
    Their second fixture then is early morning Nov 16th (our time) and our game is on Sat 19th at 3pm away to Southampton. I expect at least one of them to be on the bench, most likely Coutinho as he will get more minutes for Brazil.

I'd say neither will be ready for the Southampton game as that second game is away in Peru and I'm pretty sure they play at altitude then a 6k flight back to England and then a trip down to the south coast we will be lucky if they both make the bench.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    I must have missed that as well, have a link for it?

Joke :pac: he's still here somewhere :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I used to say the same about joe corrigan

Mike Kelly used to get a battering as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Heh.

Without turning this into a United/Jose rip (again), we may actually face more of an issue against WBA if they play the same XI as they did against Spurs.

On paper, the tactic of defending well and deep makes sense against a pressing attack like ours, but it is complemented well by pacy players who can create chances on the counter.

If United had started Lingard or if Martial had been fit, for example, they may have gotten at us a little more than they did. Now, they weren't helped by Jose turning Rashford into a full back but...

WBA had Matty Phillips, Nacer Chadli and James McLean in the side last week - if we commit a lot of players forward, those three are capable of punishing on the break, especially if Rondon is on form.

Realistically, we'd be hoping that our attack would be capable of breaking WBA down regardless of who is there and, thus, not having to worry about their ability to counter but it's never that simple, is it!?

No, it's never that simple alright.

But sure look if we're really getting worried about James McLean hurting us on the break then we're worrying too much.

The general rule of thumb with fans is that you're only as good as your last game and United parked the bus and got a point so now the fear is Brom doing the same.
    BUT.... for all the talk about Mourinho's tactics the other night the reality is that we ourselves caused our own problems.
    We're lucky United went so defensive because we were dire for the first 30 mins and couldn't string two passes together.

That wasn't down to a Mourinho masterclass, it was down to us being way below par and that in itself was down to Can replacing Wij and Sturridge replacing Lallana.
    I like Can a lot, but he was awful rusty (which is to be expected) and I think Sturridge is a phenomenal player but we lose something when he plays up top.

So fast forward 5 days and we hopefully have a fit Lallana and Wij.
    We should be back to ourselves.

It was unfortunate that we didn't have those two the last day but under the circumstances Klopp picked the team as best he could and we looked so much better when Lallana replaced Daniel.

We'll hopefully have 90 mins of that tomorrow as opposed to 30 mins of it the other night so we'll be fine.

Just as a by the way (nothing to do with the post quoted above)..... It's becoming a weird recurring theme here to have a go at someone for being anti-sturridge.
    Or at least that he divides opinion.

So I'll say my 2 cents worth on him. For me Sturridge is a more gifted forward than Adam Lallana is a gifted midfielder.
    But Lallana is a more important player for this team than Sturridge.

So when people have their moan (as they do) about Sturridge and others defend him (as they do), the key point really is that if you had to list our most talented 5 players at the club Sturridge is one of them.
    But if you had to list our most important 11 players to the way we play, Sturridge isn't one of them.
    In a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Agreed. When I saw the effect Lallana coming on had against United, I was a bit surprised to think that he was now more important than Sturridge to the team. I didn't like Lallana at all for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I am waiting for the picture of team celebrating after this game from last season to appear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Found info today how ex player Adam Morgan has signed for the mighty Curzon Ashton who play in the National Northern League.

Link

Shows what a tough game it is.

• Advertisement

eyerer wrote: »
    Agreed. When I saw the effect Lallana coming on had against United, I was a bit surprised to think that he was now more important than Sturridge to the team. I didn't like Lallana at all for a long time.

It's both the effect of Lallana himself, and also everyone else shifting into more comfortable roles. Coutinho getting out of midfield and into the final third. Firmino moving into and around the box. The front four as a unit just works better when it's Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino and Mane.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's both the effect of Lallana himself, and also everyone else shifting into more comfortable roles. Coutinho getting out of midfield and into the final third. Firmino moving into and around the box. The front four as a unit just works better when it's Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino and Mane.

To be fair, I think that's what he meant :)

To be fair, I think that's what he meant :)

Oh, I wasn't correcting or anything, just expanding on a point (probably redundantly).

Here's a stat.

Liverpool haven't beaten a Tony Pulis team in the league in 5 years!

Here's a stat.

Liverpool haven't beaten a Tony Pulis team in the league in 5 years!

Jeysus...

• Advertisement

I am waiting for the picture of team celebrating after this game from last season to appear

It was already done by Skysports on their website a few days ago.

Would you really expect any less?

Not that I speak for Liverpool fans in general but it didnt bother me at the time.
    I thought it was odd alright but kinda "cool" to borrow himself's parlance.
    That was early days and while the half of them were probably a bit embarrassed it sort of set the tone for Klopp.
    He doesn't do "ordinary".
    Even when asked if he will do the same of we draw tomorrow he said "probably not".
    Didn't rule it out though lol.
    Look, history is full of great managers doing bizarre things and then they get retrospectively admired years later.
    Fingers crossed this will be one of Klopp's after he leaves us with a bucket of trophies.
    I would fancy his odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Not that I speak for Liverpool fans in general but it didnt bother me at the time.
    That was early days and while the half of them were probably a bit embarrassed it sort of set the tone for Klopp.
    Even when asked if he will do the same of we draw tomorrow he said "probably not".
    Look, history is full of great managers doing bizarre things and then they get retrospectively admired years later.
    Fingers crossed this will be one of Klopp's after he leaves us with a bucket of trophies.
    I would fancy his odds.

I would be happy with the Best Team On The Merseyside trophy this year.

Joint first with one point atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I would fancy his odds.

I loved it at the time! It was clear to me that Klopp was trying to create and atmosphere at Anfield to match the cauldron he helped to create at Dortmund. Outsiders looking in tried to ridicule him and the team for this as they didn't feel a draw at home to West Brom was worthy of celebrating but firstly who gives a flying f$%k what outsiders think and secondly it was about much more than just that result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

murpho999 wrote: »
    Found info today how ex player Adam Morgan has signed for the mighty Curzon Ashton who play in the National Northern League.

Link

Shows what a tough game it is.

Morgan is his own worst enemy I think - two games into his previous club he just didn't bother turning up for a match....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

That fücking rag showing its colours again..

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/didi-hamann-leaps-defence-gary-12060268

Fair play to Didi..

D0NNELLY wrote: »

The rags fake Sheik was jailed for 15 months yesterday for making sh1t up but do they run that story. No they don't.

The rags fake Sheik was jailed for 15 months yesterday for making sh1t up but do they run that story. No they don't.

No of course not. They generally don't run factual stories, they prefer the makey-uppy sensationalist bull-**** stories.

Even if you put our differences with them to the side for a minute, it's still astonishing that anyone actually buys that paper.
    You'd have to be a can short of a 6 pack.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Fúck that rag,tbh. The fact that it is still the best selling paper in the UK says a lot of what you need to know about the Brexit mentality in the main.

The fact that it is the 3rd best selling paper here anyhow is bad enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

D0NNELLY wrote: »

The backlash against that piece of crap and the Daily Mail is really starting to make progress...great to see. I had Sky disconnected a couple of weeks ago as well so I don't think Murdock gets any money from my house any more. I intend to keep it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Seen a great tweet earlier
    " if mourinho directed die hard John Mc clean would have hid in a cupboard fo 90 minutes then congratulated himself for staying alive"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Spurs drop points

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Spurs drop points

It's that John Achterburg's fault again, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

5starpool wrote: »
    Fúck that rag,tbh. The fact that it is still the best selling paper in the UK says a lot of what you need to know about the Brexit mentality in the main.

The fact that it is the 3rd best selling paper here anyhow is bad enough.

It's sad, but those papers are reflective of the climate in England these days. Fair play to Lineker, he's spot on.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    It's sad, but those papers are reflective of the climate in England these days. Fair play to Lineker, he's spot on.

".......... concerns were raised about the age of those being transferred from the Calais Jungle camp as part of a new fast-track system to help vulnerable youngsters"

If a some 20 odd year olds are getting fast tracked as they are passing as vulnerable youngsters presumably there are actual under 18s not in their place so the concern could be well founded rather than mong English racism sentiment.

Spurs draw
    Arsenal draw
    Everton beaten by Burnley!
    One of Chelsea and Man Utd to drop points tomorrow

MUST WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Spurs and Arsenal draw. Everton lose. United and Chesea to play each other tomorrow. Need those 3 points today.

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Spurs drop points

And Arsenal & Everton

I must have a different mentality to most when it comes to rivals dropping points based on the last few posts. The way I see it, if we fail to win, it's "at least our rivals didn't pull away though." Of course it'd be great to win today, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't, especially against a Pulis team who will take points off other big teams.

If Arsenal, Everton and Spurs all won today, then I'd feel there was a lot more pressure on us to get the 3 points. Suppose there's a few different ways of looking at things.

I must have a different mentality to most when it comes to rivals dropping points based on the last few posts. The way I see it, if we fail to win, it's "at least our rivals didn't pull away though." Of course it'd be great to win today, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't, especially against a Pulis team who will take points off other big teams.

If Arsenal, Everton and Spurs all won today, then I'd feel there was a lot more pressure on us to get the 3 points. Suppose there's a few different ways of looking at things.

This season the Top 4 is going to be ducks-arse tight - no room for that sort of thinking. Liverpool could be top tonight and then the City game can look after itself

• Advertisement

Win by 2 or more and we go........no, I can't bring myself to say it. Not against Pulis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

12.30 kick off - Spurs bottle the chance to go top

15.00 kick off - Arsenal bottle the chance to extend their lead at top

17.30 kick off - ???

Nerve-wracker incoming.

OMG if Klopp heard you :pac:

This season the Top 4 is going to be ducks-arse tight - no room for that sort of thinking. Liverpool could be top tonight and then the City game can look after itself

I'm not saying I'd be in any way ok with us drawing or losing, I'm just saying we have a shocking record against Pulisball teams in recent years and I never expect much from our matches against them. I won't let a bad result ruin another weekend for me, I've let that happen often enough and it's just not worth it, especially when our rival teams dropping points would let us off the hook a bit.

A point today has us on 2ppg after 9 games, that wouldn't be bad at all :)

Another goal of the month contender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Top of the league. We're gonna be top of the league!

Some of the football we are playing under Klopp would make Paisley, Fagan & Dalglish's teams proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Some of the football we are playing under Klopp would make Paisley, Fagan & Dalglish's teams proud.

Aye, although the football played last week would have killed them if they weren't already dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Absolute magician!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

WBA don't have the ability to get back into this game. We have the ability to let them tho. Need to keep the performance levels up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement