Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He's still a great player. Won't be for us but he'll move on in the summer and do great elsewhere.
    It's not his fault that he doesnt tick the boxes for Klopp anymore than it's Klopp's fault.

Sometimes you can have a great player underachieving due to the system the team uses.

It's unfortunate but that's life.

There's a lad at Borussia Mönchengladbach called André Hahn who I think would be a perfect replacement for Sturridge. He's still very much under the radar in European football but he'd be well-known enough in Germany I'd imagine. Works like a horse, has a bit of pace and a natural finisher (scored a lovely goal during the week against Celtic).

That's a realistic option for our system if we get rid of Sturridge. I'd much rather someone like Lacazette or Mandzukic of course who are much better versions of that type of player, but that's not the way we operate in the transfer market so I don't really mind too much.

There's a few other strikers out there who I think would fit in just as well, but Hahn has been on my mind for a couple of weeks now as an ideal replacement when Sturridge inevitably leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

No offence but you should go find a field full of sheep and run yer balls off chasing them for 90 minutes non-stop and see if there is a period where "the tempo drops".

Because that is what we do.

Of course there will be periods where the constant chasing yields fatigue so that's when it becomes important to manage the situation correctly like we did today.

I read an interview by Milner in Klopp's early days and he was talking about how Klopp actually told them they were running too much, wasting energy.
    The idea is very specific in that you run yer tits off but also know when to not run.
    I'd imagine Klopp was chuffed with today.
    You need to move back to the city pronto:D

Great result today, 3 points closer to safety.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I was particularly happy for Pulis today and his tactics, hope he enjoys the spin back to the west midlands after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Turtyturd wrote: »
    PIC

Is that like the sulky head you've had on lately! :D

Studge looks like he just got shown a dodgy yellow!

Sturridge p'd off on the bench might be a good thing. Time for him to figure out where he could fit in to the system next chance he gets.

He likes dropping deep these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

You need to move back to the city pronto:D

:D

Lol, haha, yeah you might be right! (good answer mate)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Well at least were never boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Still think Sturridge has a lot to offer, maybe its just me but is there a sense that he just doesn't push himself to his limit where others do? Is it a case that he works hard but doesn't make the right decisions? We know the guy can play, is his dip in form a permanent thing?

He needs games but probably wont get them. Still probably the best backup striker in the league at present. Should see him against Spurs on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

NukaCola wrote: »
    Still think Sturridge has a lot to offer, maybe its just me but is there a sense that he just doesn't push himself to his limit where others do? Is it a case that he works hard but doesn't make the right decisions? We know the guy can play, is his dip in form a permanent thing?

He needs games but probably wont get them. Still probably the best backup striker in the league at present. Should see him against Spurs on Tuesday.

he's got a **** attitude and a lazy bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Is that like the sulky head you've had on lately! :D!

Coming from you this is particularly hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

At least one of Sturridge/Origi will start on Tuesday I reckon. Possibly Lucas or Stewart as well. Ings might get a bench appearance too. Moreno and Mignolet will probably play too. No bad thing, but hopefully we don't make too many changes. I reckon about 3 or 4. If I was forced to predict a lineup now I'd go for

Mig
    Moreno
    Lovren
    Klaven
    Clyne
    Wijnaldum
    Lucas
    Can
    Firmino
    Sturridge
    Mane

I know that is 6 changes from today, but I reckon that's what it'll be. Loads of room for manoeuvre though, which is great.

Cheers, just a bitta bantz.

We've got the best manager in the world, playing some lovely stuff and the title drought is gonna end in the next few years.

So feck the in fighting lads. We're on the up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Very happy with that performance today and delighted to finally beat a Pulis team.

Annoyed about the goal from set piece but we were very comfortable in the end.

Good thing is that we're actually still a work in progress so we will get better; will learn to control games better and also kill teams off.

Great run of winnable games coming up whilst rivals must face each other. We could be in a great position come Christmas time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'll get more pleasure out of beating Pardew next weekend than Pulis this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think our team against Spurs will be very strong. We have only 2 cups & we want to win one.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think our team against Spurs will be very strong. We have only 2 cups & we want to win one.

It certainly will be, but we'll definitely make a few changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It took two very good pieces of play to get our two goals. West Brom are tough and well organized . We needed those two goals in the end to get the 3 pts.
    Was a great win .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Augeo wrote: »
    We need to go striker shopping IMO.

Theres one that plays in Milan that isn't feeling so welcome there at the moment. Icardi would be a great addition to our frontline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Glico Man wrote: »
    Theres one that plays in Milan that isn't feeling so welcome there at the moment. Icardi would be a great addition to our frontline.

Lot's of baggage with Icardi. Not as bad as Balotelli, but I can't imagine his wife wanting to hang around Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He's still a great player. Won't be for us but he'll move on in the summer and do great elsewhere.
    It's not his fault that he doesnt tick the boxes for Klopp anymore than it's Klopp's fault.

Sometimes you can have a great player underachieving due to the system the team uses.

It's unfortunate but that's life.

It's not Klopp's fault. He just doesn't want us to play that way.

It'd be like if you were playing with wingers and two forwards vs 343, 451 or what have you. Horses for courses.

Sturridge is no longer a horse for our course but he's still a thoroughbred. Or.. a good horse of some sort. My knowledge of horses and activities involving them has run dry.:o
    NukaCola wrote: »
    I was particularly happy for Pulis today and his tactics, hope he enjoys the spin back to the west midlands after that...

To be fair to them, I think they comitted quite a lot forward. Even in commentary, they were mentioning how many people they put into the box.

They got most of their tactics correct I think. It was going to be difficult to hang on to the ball much but we certainly weren't cutting them open.

Don't think they lacked endeavour so much as quality.
    They just couldn't get it to stick to Rondon, couldn't get their heads up enough when they got into our midfield.
    I thinks it's hard to go from being pressed in your own half to all of a sudden having a bit more space.

I think their LB was a huge problem. Looks like a complete donkey.
    I think he caused the shambles for our 2nd with a bad backpass and put them under pressure a few other times.

These guys can't see the whole pitch. They're probably still trying to run away half the time even when they get to our corner flag.
    Being good footballers is key to dealing with the press in that you can play your way into the game if you know you're good enough to take chances in the final third.
    They clearly didn't have that confidence.
    It wasn't until we really dropped off for a spell 2nd half that they more consistently got their heads up.

Glico Man wrote: »

Nah an Argentine among our Brazilians mightn't go down well :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Am I the only one slightly dissatisfied? I know we played well but ,I dunno,we invite pressure with our own.mistakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

It took two very good pieces of play to get our two goals. West Brom are tough and well organized . We needed those two goals in the end to get the 3 pts.
    Was a great win .

that you michael owen

Am I the only one slightly dissatisfied? I know we played well but ,I dunno,we invite pressure with our own.mistakes

There's the perspective that we're doing well in comparison to where we were and we're by any measure in a brilliant position in the league, but we're not playing flawlessly by any stretch either.

There's good and bad in where we're at but I think it's important to look at the whole picture and remember where we are in the lifetime of Klopp's Liverpool project.

Progress is the main thing, but it's not something you see in any one game.
    When things mighn't go perfeclty on the night, it can be easy to forget that.

It's easy to get swept up by x number of ppg or whatever but whatever shape it takes, a good season this season was always likely to be a sober satisfactory entrenching of ourselves at a higher level and an appreciation of how we're not just taking a shot, but trying to get ourselves to a place where the yo-yoing stops and we'll be able to take a shot at the top again and again.

.......... I know we played well but ,I dunno,we invite pressure with our own.mistakes

That's football.
    In the vast majority of games each team will have at least a bad spell and at least a good spell.

We have mainly good spells.

WB made a mistake or three.

We made only one that was punished.

You'll very rarely not make mistakes in a game.

Augeo wrote: »
    That's football.
    In the vast majority of games each team will have at least a bad spell and at least a good spell.

We have mainly good spells.

WB made a mistake or three.

We made only one that was punished.

You'll very rarely not make mistakes in a game.

There's a difference between individual mistakes and systematic mistakes.

We make too many of the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Nah an Argentine among our Brazilians mightn't go down well :pac:

2015-01-11T220901Z_01_BAR118_RTRIDSP_3_SOCCER-SPAIN.jpg&w=1484

On another day we'd have scored 5. We played some great stuff at times

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    .....systematic mistakes.

We make too many of the latter.

I imagine it's really, really tough to reduce them without sacrificing some of the attacking threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I think if you're dissatisfied you need to wake up. Not in a bad way either bud, just being realistic in your thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

I believe in being punished when you fluff that many chances. Thought we were pissing about a bit.

I think Klopp will be going a bit mental at them as we speak, althoughly arguably he should've done something about it.

Yeah these spells in games where we sort of showboat (I guess I wouldn't be using that term if some of them chances went in.) can give teams an incentive to give it a go. The ruthless humility of Barca playing you into the ground is not there with us.....perhaps because you have to give credit to the Albion defenders for playing the 90mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If only Sturridge could run like Firmino
    If only Firmino could finish like Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Already dreading Mane being gone for the ACON.

Some new links to Inaki Williams although the sources are terrible.
    Has a huge buyout bit a lot of potential & would suit our style of play as his work rate is very good too & has great pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

If only Sturridge could run like Firmino
    If only Firmino could finish like Sturridge

If I had bacon, I could have bacon and eggs, if I had eggs.

It's not Klopp's fault. He just doesn't want us to play that way.

WTF?
    I've probably written a thousand words in this thread on this subject and now you're quoting me telling me its not Klopps fault?

Of course it's not.

The very post you quoted me in even stated that. Here it is again seeing as you didn't get it the first time:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

That was about as dominant as a 2-1 win can be. They may have scored but they never remotely threatened us from open play. A shot from distance was about it. They had the odd chance of a counter but we defended it well, as we're supposed to.

Has Karius actually had to make a save in his liverpool career yet? I thought he did well today. Not flawless but he had some clever moments (drawing a forward in before picking up the ball and releasing Milner). The goal was just a flukey one really, tho we do need to defend them better.

We look scintillating atm. Question, at this stage of their liverpool careers who was better, Firmino or Suarez? Suarez couldn't finish was the knock on him if i remember correctly, and like Bobby he's already had some seasons at other clubs where he'd been very prolific.

If you want to post these links to these players then you can.
    But really our real transfer targets & are usually leaked by the Echo,Barrett etc & most on this forum know that. Falling for click bait links like the one's you are posting is pointless imo.
    Some new links to Inaki Williams although the sources are terrible.
    Has a huge buyout bit a lot of potential & would suit our style of play as his work rate is very good too & has great pace.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Was just after seeing it again on MOTD, loved it! Nobody usually likes a copycat but I like Mane being one!

WTF?
    I've probably written a thousand words in this thread on this subject and now you're quoting me telling me its not Klopps fault?

Of course it's not.

The very post you quoted me in even stated that. Here it is again seeing as you didn't get it the first time:

Soz.

I misread it as:

"It's not his fault that he doesnt tick the boxes for Klopp anymore, then it's Klopp's fault."

:rolleyes:
    Somone mentioned us needing a striker so I mentioned someone I would like us to sign & referenced some that was some links with poor sources though. Completely different to failing for click bait articles & posting various links to players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

On the Spurs game I just had a look and they have Leicester on Saturday then the return against Leverkusen so hopefully a bit of rotation is needed by them. Kane will be out so you'd imagine Janssen will be given the gig with Eriksen in behind. I expect Ings and Origi might be given the gig rather than Sturridge myself.

Mig
    Clyne--Matip-Klavan-Moreno
    ----Can--Lucas-Grujic
    Wiji
    Ings--Origi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Somone mentioned us needing a striker so I mentioned someone I would like us to sign & referenced some that was some links with poor sources though. Completely different to failing for click bait articles & posting various links to players.

tumblr_nr78f2iacA1qgg5rbo1_250.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We have had serious problems defending set pieces for years now,and as good as we are going forward we will win jack **** unless we sort it,had ourselves to blame yet again for a nervous last 10 when in fact we should have been in cruise mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Still can't defend set pieces but didn't look remotely like conceding in open play. We have to fix that but its VERY fixable. Will take the win. Delighted.

If it is so fixable why have we been terrible at defending them pretty much ever since Hyppia left? No manager to date, since he left, has fixed it. Not even Klopp. I have heard it said many many times now over the years how easily fixed our problems with defending set pieces is and yet we haven't figured it out for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

mormank wrote: »
    If it is so fixable why have we been terrible at defending them pretty much ever since Hyppia left? No manager to date, since he left, has fixed it. Not even Klopp. I have heard it said many many times now over the years how easily fixed our problems with defending set pieces is and yet we haven't figured it out for years now.

You think its something we can't fix? There's not some magic formula its about execution. Thats something we can work on. The last few years we've really struggled to have a settled cb partnership. It just hasn't happened. I think its going to happen now tho, Matip and Dejan look very solid together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would love to see Karius bulk up a bit. He's built like an outfielder more than a keeper. Of course his age has somethign to do with that and he'll naturally get broader as he gets a little older, but he just doesn't look like he's capable of bowling through attackers to reach a swung in ball.

Was obviously something WB spotted too, when they surrounded him with players.

Thought he looked good today in general open play, but looked utterly indecisive/inadequate from swung in balls/set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    You think its something we can't fix? There's not some magic formula its about execution. Thats something we can work on. The last few years we've really struggled to have a settled cb partnership. It just hasn't happened. I think its going to happen now tho, Matip and Dejan look very solid together.

Of course it can be fixed, but it is alot easier said than done and to imply otherwise is folly. Although I am willing to admit that Matip's prescence in the defence instantly makes us better at defending set pieces.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement