Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Would love to see Karius bulk up a bit. He's built like an outfielder more than a keeper. Of course his age has somethign to do with that and he'll naturally get broader as he gets a little older, but he just doesn't look like he's capable of bowling through attackers to reach a swung in ball.

Was obviously something WB spotted too, when they surrounded him with players.

Thought he looked good today in general open play, but looked utterly indecisive/inadequate from swung in balls/set pieces.

Neither does DDG or Lloris or Courtois even. Keepers just don't really look like Schmeichel anymore. They need to be quicker and more agile rather than powerful. I thought Karius did well today.

Karius made a mess of one corner that resulted in the corner they scored from iirc.

He might have done well other wise but overall today 5/10 IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

A question for the stats men. Do we get more in-swinging corners than the norm?

..... I'd say we will going forward anyway :pac:

Most decent corners in swing but not enough for keeper to stay on line, wil I stay or will I go indecision inducing corners are best for the attacking team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Augeo wrote: »
    Karius made a mess of one corner that resulted in the corner they scored from iirc.

I'd have to agree, I guess it's a sign we aren't defending too badly but in what 4 league games he's started I can't recall a save of note that he's had to make, so we ain't coughing up too many chances. Still no idea what sort of shot stopper he actually is, obv a lot of question marks about his aerial game thus far, his distribution game is iffy-ish too! He looks assured at times but some shaky moments. A work in progress it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

He started on the 3 yard line and went back to his line. I'm sick of saying it but put a guy on the line or leave three up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Augeo wrote: »

In the few games he's played, his judgement on crosses has been fairly poor.

I do like his distribution though, I think he's very good at releasing the ball and starting off an attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

For their goal it wasn't just Karius at fault, the whole defence started deep then realised West Brom players were not surrounding the keeper so pushed out a bit, leaving a bit of space for attackers to move into. And why was Firmino in the centre of the goals defending? Would love if our two central defenders started deep and just attacked the ball when it gets swung in instead of just trying to watch attackers and react to their runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

With the WB player blocking Karius so he couldn't close down the strike, surely it was offside?

MbZZEs8.png

• Advertisement

Karius should have exaggerated the fact that he was being blocked, even the players only half heartedly called for offside. Then again the officials missed a hell of a lot holding when we had corners or frees around the opposition box yesterday. Henderson and Milner should have been in the refs face straight away highlighting infringements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Only thing I regret about yesterday is that we didn't go on to demolish Pulis, but it's sweet all the same to beat him. Reading the stats before the game was maddening.

I could go on, but I'd be fearful of a tirade I'd end up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Benteke is gonna cause havoc next week,isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

All I know is that I'm keeping him in my FF team. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

NukaCola wrote: »
    With the WB player blocking Karius so he couldn't close down the strike, surely it was offside?

MbZZEs8.png

Said this yesterday, you cannot be any more involved in the play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I seen several replays and still did'nt pick up that goal was offside, good spot.

Of course the other side of it is there should'nt be 3 opposing players free 3 yards from goal in the first place no matter how unlucky the ricochet was!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Said this yesterday, you cannot be any more involved in the play
    I wouldn't be too upset, though. It didn't effect the result and we will probably benefit from something equally stupid at some stage later in the season.

I'm torn on the team i'd like us to put out on Tuesday night, on one hand i realise the need for rest especially for a team that plays the way we do, but i'd also like us to put out basically an unchanged team to get that understanding between the players just right.

I seen several replays and still did'nt pick up that goal was offside, good spot.

Of course the other side of it is there should'nt be 3 opposing players free 3 yards from goal in the first place no matter how unlucky the ricochet was!

Surely if all 3 are offside then it's good defending... not saying we actually defended it well but the players standing there are out of the game. That part is good defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I wouldn't be too upset, though. It didn't effect the result and we will probably benefit from something equally stupid at some stage later in the season.

I'm just glad someone posted a picture to prove I wasn't being crazy

Though it did cost me a clean sheet in ff

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Surely if all 3 are offside then it's good defending... not saying we actually defended it well but the players standing there are out of the game. That part is good defending.

Only if you think we deliberately played for the offside...from a corner:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

First things first, delighted with the result. These are the games we need to be winning.

Now to the negatives, we can't keep conceding from set-pieces and when teams have very few shots. There are so many times when there's a free man in our box after a free. How many teams have scored with their first shot on target? We're not as nervous when we concede but we're close. You always think we can concede when there's only a goal in it.

But again, as other posters have said, we are still improving - all we need is a proper goalie and striker ðŸ˜

Only if you think we deliberately played for the offside...from a corner:p

I think we pushed out. That's pretty standard defending if you don't have someone on the line. In theory itest should require the header to go in if they win it. In this case the ricochet bounced insanely kindly in front of the one person who could score.

Not that we don't need to get better at defending them but I do think the fans get nervy and that feeds into it too. Vicious cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One thing that was really annoying was in a prior dead ball where someone was blocking Karius and then as the ball was struck moved quickly to have the freedom of the box - no one picked this player up, he duly got the ball but put it over. That kind of laxed defending - just not paying attention - has to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The goal started with Milner, although he's done great at LB, he tried to tackle with his right which gave away the free that led to the corner. I'd also like to see our defenders get a bit more physical when defending set plays, not Skrtel physical, but just let the other team know who owns the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Outside of set pieces I think our defence is great. Matip would've cost £50m if he was English.

I'm torn on the team i'd like us to put out on Tuesday night, on one hand i realise the need for rest especially for a team that plays the way we do, but i'd also like us to put out basically an unchanged team to get that understanding between the players just right.

Henderson is suspended so he's definitely out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I don't have any sweeping judgement to make on Karius or his performance yesterday but I can share one observation from sitting in the stands yesterday.

The club are well aware of the issue of him being impeded on corners and must be concerned because they've adjusted the GK pre-game warm up to include a drill on it.

There was a 3rd GK out with Migs, Karius and the coach for the session (not the norm) and they spent a good chunk of time practicing coming for corners where Migs and the 3rd GK were positioned at each corner flag crossing balls in. The coach, meanwhile would stand in front of Karius for each cross and back into him putting some pressure on each time a ball came in

Now someone please correct me if my memory is a bit hazy but in 10 years of going to Anfield I can't recall seeing that particular drill in the GK warm up so it seems they are acutely aware of this being a big flaw in our backline

He did that on purpose,didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

People presume it was a tactical yellow, I wonder what he had to say to make sure the ref gave the yellow, maybe he went with 'your mother smells of elderberries'. Maybe he called him a blind twat, I'd like to know either way!

People presume it was a tactical yellow, I wonder what he had to say to make sure the ref gave the yellow, maybe he went with 'your mother smells of elderberries'. Maybe he called him a blind twat, I'd like to know either way!

I can imagine the ref rolling his eyes and going "all right you want Tuesday night off, fine - here's your card" :pac:

• Advertisement

And while we're at it I see the grabbing players at corners is not enforced as strictly as 9 games ago....

kmYxGfQ.jpg

And while we're at it I see the grabbing players at corners is not enforced as strictly as 9 games ago....

kmYxGfQ.jpg

I wonder which one of them caught the bouquet.

Benteke is gonna cause havoc next week,isn't he?
    Just leave him one on one with the keeper and we should be fine;)

mav79 wrote: »
    Just leave him one on one with the keeper and we should be fine;)

Yep. He did it again yesterday,didn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Olsson is more like an intermediate GAA half-back from Leitrim or some such than an actual footballer. The $hite he gets away with.

Corner, ricochet, player in front of keeper...... never going to get free out there IMO.

The officials most definitely saw the player in front of karius IMO.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Interestingly, neither Ings or Stewart are playing in the mini derby today, so are likely to get some playing time on Tuesday I'd suggest. Ojaria not playing either so will be on the bench perhaps?

CvcyMDjWcAAebaI.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Harry Wilson's future is so bright he copyrighted it.

"Your mother's a snowblower"

• Advertisement

If City don't come back and the Chelsea United game ends in a draw it'll have been some weekend for us.

City looking very average in the 1st half anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

John Stones £50m.
    Mustafi £35m.
    David Luiz £32m.

Joel Matip FREE.

CvdHeDeUIAAAtdW.jpg

Good weekend for Liverpool club

U18s 5-1 v Derby County
    U23 2-0 v Everton
    Seniors 2-1 v WBA
    Ladies - no game this week they would have won has they played I'm sure! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

City looking very average in the 1st half anyway.

Even if City win this they have not looked convincing.

There is no outstanding team this year. I think Liverpool have shown the best form considering the fixtures we have had. I really think we could compete for the title this season.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really think we could compete for the title this season.

get-out.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

get-out.gif

Is that you Harry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

get-out.gif

I said we COULD compete and not that we would win it.

Don't see what's wrong with that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Well at the minute we certainly are competing at the right end of the table. Long may it continue.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I said we COULD compete and not that we would win it.

Don't see what's wrong with that.

Not even could should be mentioned! I'd love it I would if no one noticed Liverpool had won the title until it happened! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm not mentioning title challenge until March until then we are in the battle for top 4.

the goal of this club should always be 1st but we need to be calm and keep our feet on the ground a bit and just enjoy the football been played.

Whatever about city's attack they are worse than us defensively. I know we can't defend a set pieces for our lives but we look fairly comfortable in open play.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement