Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

monkey9 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me thinking it, but i do think Karius is as much at fault.

But look, at least it's our year so it's all good!! :D

If he comes out from his line like that, it would be great for him to use his arms to block it instead of standing there hoping the ball doesn't toss his quiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rob316 wrote: »
    I had Chelsea as favourites for the league before the season started and they look to be getting it together now. 4 clean sheets in a row, Costa and Hazard in deadly form. Conte is a superb manager too.

Going to be a hell of a race for the title this season.

Yeah, he's doing well but some of the praise is a bit OTT. An Italian manager going 3 at the back, a system he has used regularly before, is hardly rocket science!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Side topic; was at LA Galaxy's playoff first leg yesterday. Gerrard didn't play, but it was interesting watching him in the warm up before the match. Didn't kick a ball, but wandered around with a commanding air, going to each of the younger players, offering advice with lots of pointing and gesticulating. It didn't seem like they were just words of encouragement, more like detailed coaching.

With the rumours of a coaching role in mind, it certainly looked like he was in that kind of mindset anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

mormank wrote:
    first I've heard of it!

So you don't remember everyone lambasting him for being out of position and leaving skrtel isolated?

I know I didn't dream that.

In fact people where suggesting that he was a winger rather than a full back and that as soon as flanno got fit he should be starting.

He did however say he felt his improvement was down to Neville at England training.

He is much better now but he was by no means a great defender at the start for us.

That aside (whether you agree doesn't matter to be fair) I think Moreno could learn to Neva half decent defender

K-9 wrote: »
    ........is hardly rocket science!

3 at the back might well not be rocket science but 4 PL clean sheets on the trot while scoring 11 goals over those 4 games isn't to be sneezed at.
    We're 2 at the back for the mostpart, is that rocket science?

Apart from defeats to us and Arsenal they've had a good start to the season, if they build on that they'll be tough to keep up with IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm not knocking him, he did great to turn it round unlike Jose. Plus he has managed to get the best out of Moses again!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Mr.H wrote: »
    So you don't remember everyone lambasting him for being out of position and leaving skrtel isolated?

In fact people where suggesting that he was a winger rather than a full back and that as soon as flanno got fit he should be starting.

He did however say he felt his improvement was down to Neville at England training.

He is much better now but he was by no means a great defender at the start for us.

That aside (whether you agree doesn't matter to be fair) I think Moreno could learn to Neva half decent defender

I honestly don't remember any of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I thought you were talking about Moreno there until you mentioned England......
    Cant remember a single poster saying Flanno should start over Clyne.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If that's the case I'd be worried.He stuck with Weidenfeller when he was a liability for a long time with Dortmund.

If we have the success that Dortmund team with Weidenfeller in goal had, i'll be very happy with Klopp's judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This is all about Clyne?? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

monkey9 wrote: »
    Lovern messed for sure, i'm not saying he's blameless. But the mistake has been made so deal with it. Karius didn't deal with it. He absolutely could have punched that away but he chickened out of the challenge.
    If Karius had anticipated Lovren's miskick he would have had a chance to reach the ball before McArthur, he took a step back towards the goal line as Lovren hit the ball which put him at an immediate disadvantage.

His mistake was that he didn't put his hands above his head when he jumped. Given the trajectory of the ball, even if he got his finger tips to it, he wouldn't have prevented the goal. He would have had to knock the ball to his right and I don't think that was physically possible in his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I can't recall many saves by our keepers which ever one plays. We concede a chance, we concede a goal, feels like that.

So far there is a much of a muchness about Mignolet & Karius. If he dropped Karius I wouldn't protest it.
    Neither have looked comfortable on the ball or dealing with crosses. I thought Karius would have been able to been able to distribute the ball better but so far he's probably worse.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

He's been caught biting again! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Clyne has been our best player since he joined, the number of bad games he has had can be counted on one hand. He's consistantly good every week.

I only vaguely remember a couple of people here wanting to give Flanno game time, and even then, im pretty sure it was'nt at the expense of Clyne, it was suggested Clyne/Flanno move to LB instead of Moreno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

No I genuinely don't remember that. Maybe for a game or two but in general in his first two seasons Clyne has been our most consistent defender, which tbf doesn't say much except that there was plenty of problems in our defence those two seasons and Clyne was the least of our issues. He was actually very limited going forward and I believe he was compared to Steve Finnan on numerous occasions. Are you confusing Clyne with Moreno by any chance cos your description of Clyne suits Moreno alot better.

Are you drunk, stoned or insane?

Talisman wrote: »
    If Karius had anticipated Lovren's miskick he would have had a chance to reach the ball before McArthur, he took a step back towards the goal line as Lovren hit the ball which put him at an immediate disadvantage.

His mistake was that he didn't put his hands above his head when he jumped. Given the trajectory of the ball, even if he got his finger tips to it, he wouldn't have prevented the goal. He would have had to knock the ball to his right and I don't think that was physically possible in his position.

Not anticipating a mistake from Lovren was his biggest mistake imo. :p I have watched it back a few times now and I still have no clue who Lovren's mi**** pass was intended for even if hadn't mi**** it. He has improved massively but he seems to suffer from a lack of concentration at important times. He handed them their first goal and lost not one but two headers in the build up to the second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Since Clyne joined he's been great defensively. He was suspect going forward but was solid where it counts. He's getting better going forward this season though.

He's so consistent that rb is the one position we probably won't have to worry about until he leaves the club.

• Advertisement

I think Karius would have been as well off staying on his line, Lovren was attempting to get redeem himself so I don't think it would have been an easy header/shot if Karius stayed away.

He was never looking like getting there anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Augeo wrote: »
    Lovren was attempting to get redeem himself

:pac:

I know it's a typo...I just thought it was funny. No offence meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I think Karius would have been as well off staying on his line, Lovren was attempting to get redeem himself so I don't think it would have been an easy header/shot if Karius stayed away.

He was never looking like getting there anyway.

You must remember he had to make a split second decision, he does'nt get the benefit of watching it back 2 days later then making his call!

Besides, once Lovren sliced it he HAD to come for it, it's practically in the rule book, he could'nt stand on his line and look like a lemon. The only thing i could fault him for was not spreading his arms when he jumped, but it's still on Lovren 99%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Joe Allen with a filthy beautiful assist. I love you Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

emo72 wrote: »
    Joe Allen with a filthy beautiful assist. I love you Joe!
    He's tearing Swansea to bits here, great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Great match this in Stoke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

[inserts pointless should have kept him here post]

Those 3 are very much not mutually exclusive! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

achterbergkarius.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

achterbergkarius.jpg

gzDcTFx.jpg
    "Soon."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Surprised people don't remember all that slating of Clyne, it was around that time when we were all praising Balotelli for his work rate and goal scoring spree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Vicxas wrote: »

Id seen a few headlines and expected a few big rugby types battering him so he comes into the next game ready. So he is really being hit with a big feckin sponge!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Vicxas wrote: »

Called it :cool:
    x43r0 wrote: »
    I don't have any sweeping judgement to make on Karius or his performance yesterday but I can share one observation from sitting in the stands yesterday.

The club are well aware of the issue of him being impeded on corners and must be concerned because they've adjusted the GK pre-game warm up to include a drill on it.

There was a 3rd GK out with Migs, Karius and the coach for the session (not the norm) and they spent a good chunk of time practicing coming for corners where Migs and the 3rd GK were positioned at each corner flag crossing balls in. The coach, meanwhile would stand in front of Karius for each cross and back into him putting some pressure on each time a ball came in

Now someone please correct me if my memory is a bit hazy but in 10 years of going to Anfield I can't recall seeing that particular drill in the GK warm up so it seems they are acutely aware of this being a big flaw in our backline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Next part of the training regime is them all having a sleepover and an impromptu pillow fight.

The modern keeper is a tough gig.

You could have a tall lad, well able to handle himself against defenders etc after learning his trade in lower divisions who has matured into an excellent shotstopper, controls his box etc like keepers he grew up idolizing.

But he mightn't be happy playing the sweeper keeper role etc so he won't be good enough.

Than you have the keeper who is great with attack starting distribution and also offers an outlet for pass backs from defenders under pressure....... but he's not so great at barging through a packed 6 yard box to punch away a cross so he's not really deemed the right fit either.

Karius hasn't done anything wonderful for us but he's probably not had any utter calamity leading to a goal either so from that point of view he's an upgrade with potential :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Karius hasn't done anything wonderful for us but he's probably not had any utter calamity leading to a goal either so from that point of view he's an upgrade with potential :)

There was an absolute howler against utd when only an offside call saved his blushes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The thing that actually makes me nervous about Karius right now, is the way he uses his hands.

He must have the torso of a handball alley, as the ball bounces off his chest far too much for my liking. I haven't really seen him display soft hands to coral the ball into his chest and hold onto it.

There's plenty of time yet, obviously, but whether its nerves or something else, it doesn't quite seem natural to him at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Karius is having a shocking start to the season. I'd honestly be happier to have Migs back in goal for any big game as things stand.

In saying that, I can the rationale of letting Karius settle as others have said remember De Gea when he first signed for United he made a lot of mistakes in his first season. The problem for me is Karius just doesn't seem to do anything especially well. I don't remember him making any great saves -even ones he does save seem almost by accident, any ball into the box and he seems to sh*t himself, distribution is ok. For a keeper who was as highly thought of as he was before he came I just haven't "seen" it yet.

Here's hoping first team football helps him progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

noodler wrote: »
    There was an absolute howler against utd when only an offside call saved his blushes.

And preseason v...Wigan I think? Eep! Wasn't a real game but still.

I'm still happy enough to keep him as number 1. Good run of games until Christmas to gain confidence.

Also I don't know about anybody else but when Palace equalized both times at the weekend I wasn't too worried at all. It was weird. I hated conceding but I didn't think that we were in danger of dropping points. Maybe it's because it was early enough in the game but I was confident that there would be more goals in it for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

17 years ago today at Anfield, couldn't have happened to a nicer bigot ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

In my eyes karius has to keep playing. He has two routes to go, either like migs and not get better or like de gea and improve. Both of those played, only one improved. Its either within them or not. He wont get better on the bench. Howlers may happen but migs isnt getting better so karius it is.

brevity wrote: »

Neymar looks like an insufferable fucker, doesn't he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Knex. wrote: »

He seems a bit petulant but apparently him Messi and Suarez get on quite well.

Found this on Reddit:

https://streamable.com/6ws0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Knex. wrote: »

I thought it was more a "FFS Luis, it was funny the first 30 times" sort of reaction. Messi was "yep, every time, zzzz". Luis "enjoyed it just as much as the 1st time, haha".

Nice to see normal, low-key ar$eholery out of megastars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

De Boer
    A guy we were heavily linked with at one point has been sacked at Inter this morning ,
    Becoming a real graveyard for Good Mangers lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bild linking us with Schalke LB Kolasinac on free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Whoever makes these videos has far too much time on their hands, but I think they are decent... :)

De Boer
    A guy we were heavily linked with at one point has been sacked at Inter this morning ,
    Becoming a real graveyard for Good Mangers lately

I'd have been quite happy with him. Thought he did a great job at Ajax. Interested to see where he goes now.

• Advertisement

Bild linking us with Schalke LB Kolasinac on free.

Schalke will end up being our German Southampton, only instead of a 100m they'll get feck all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement