Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

We are 10 games in and things have gone brilliantly , but it is way to early to say that those worried about lack of activity in transfer window are wrong.

All we can say is they (me included ) are not right yet.

Que???? :eek: Was one of the busiest transfer windows in a long time

Just because we didn't break the bank for Matip or didn't sign a left back, doesn't make it any less "active". Wijnadum, Mane, Matip & Karius were purchased as 4 "starters" for the team, which is comparable to the number of starters purchased by other clubs. Your perception of "activity" in a transfer window may be skewed by the relatively large spending of other clubs I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

MD1990 wrote: »
    That is Ings 4th serious knee injury. Looked on wiki he had knee injuries in 2011 (ACL) & 2012 (cartilage).
    He just has no luck at all. Feel very sorry for him.

At least it's not the same knee, but he already looks a little slower in games this season, no explosiveness. He'll have to reinvent himself as a poacher, which won't be any use to Klopp IMO...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jesus Ings seems a fierce unlucky guy altogether.

Its hard to see how he comes back from another bad injury but I hope he makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That's bad news about Ings.

What is it with the name Dan and injuries.

Why is Ings unfortunate and Sturridge on purpose and has an attitude?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

garra wrote: »
    Que???? :eek: Was one of the busiest transfer windows in a long time

Just because we didn't break the bank for Matip or didn't sign a left back, doesn't make it any less "active". Wijnadum, Mane, Matip & Karius were purchased as 4 "starters" for the team, which is comparable to the number of starters purchased by other clubs. Your perception of "activity" in a transfer window may be skewed by the relatively large spending of other clubs I imagine.

Comes back to a post I made about Rodgers legacy - he bought a lot of players that he didn't gel, but that are the core of the team now; Lallana, Coutinho, Milner, Clyne, Can, Lovren, Firmino.

Klopp added Matip, Karius, Mané and Wilnaldum, that's all we really needed. The window was more about outward activity than inward, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Gutted for Ings. Really want him to succeed. Top attitude on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's bad news about Ings.

What is it with the name Dan an injuries.

Why is Ings unfortunate and Sturridge on purpose and has an attitude?
    :rolleyes:
    Ings got injured making a tackle while Sturridge has yet to attempt one this season. There different playing styles are the reason why some may have more sympathy with Ings & also considering his injuries are far more serious as well. Also the fact Gerrard has also stated Sturridge has to be pushed to play while not 100% but I have not seen anyone say Sturridge has ver got injured on purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

garra wrote: »
    He doesn't deserve that, but at least he won't want for nursing.

That is all kinds of awesome(the wag not the injury) , no wonder he has such a big smile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

That is bad news about Danny Ings. 9 months out with a knee injury. Feel sorry for the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Very sad news regarding Ings, ings can only get better for him but reckon he could be finished at premier league level now. All those knee injuries will affect his game and being out for so long will also have an effect on his game. He also doesn't really have the rep that will see the likes of Stoke taking a punt on him, that he will return to his old level.
    Very sad.
    Hopefully he proves me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That is Ings 4th serious knee injury. Looked on wiki he had knee injuries in 2011 (ACL) & 2012 (cartilage).
    He just has no luck at all. Feel very sorry for him.
    Poor fcuker, he is desperate to play, yet is bollixed with these horrific injuries. Being honest, the chances of him coming back from this and being an important player for us are very remote now. When you have an attacking player like Ings that relies on pace, these types of injuries will leave a mark. Hope I am proved wrong, but I think that's his career with us over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Dickerty wrote: »
    Comes back to a post I made about Rodgers legacy - he bought a lot of players that he didn't gel, but that are the core of the team now; Lallana, Coutinho, Milner, Clyne, Can, Lovren, Firmino.

Klopp added Matip, Karius, Mané and Wilnaldum, that's all we really needed. The window was more about outward activity than inward, IMO.

I really hope ye are right , All Summer signings (Karius aside) look to have landed and started delivering right away , team looks well balanced and LB issue has been no issue.
    Long may it continue , and I hope in May I am eating humble pie along with my premier league champions celebratory breakfast.

It is though a long way to go , we have been pretty lucky on injuries and we play a style that puts a lot of miles on players and I suspect some coverage in depth is required and I am not sure we have it.

I would like to see some activity in January to address this , Klopp did no business last January and while I respect that , it is hard to argue it possibly cost us a cup win and certainly cost us European Football this season.

To be honest, I'd have to agree with Sturridge's attitude to injuries.
    Why risk yourself?
    You could be lucky and be like Suarez and not get injuries or you could be unlucky and have you're career cut short by taking chances, especially if you're injury prone.
    I have a lot of respect for players that put themselves on the line but I can also see Sturridge's point of view.
    Players are different in their physiology and I don't think Gerrard should really be commenting on how Studge has to be convinced to play if he's feeling not 100%.
    Fans will love a player that plays through the pain and risks themselves but where will they be when a player gets fcuked? Sure there will be some intial well wishing but that fades away and those wishes aren't much use when your career is over at a young age.

:rolleyes:
    Ings got injured making a tackle while Sturridge has yet to attempt one this season. There different playing styles are the reason why some may have more sympathy with Ings & also considering his injuries are far more serious as well. Also the fact Gerrard has also stated Sturridge has to be pushed to play while not 100% but I have not seen anyone say Sturridge has ver got injured on purpose.

That :rolleyes: is the most arrogant smiley on boards.

Regarding Sturridge tackling. He's a striker, it's not his job to tackle. He was signed to score goals and that's what he does best and what he'll be remembered for. Granted some strikers do get around and tackle but that's a style of play factor.

No manager or fan has every got excited by a striker being signed because of his tackling ability.

As for the rest; I believe it's up to the player to decide how he feels and if one has had a run of injuries then they are going to be more cautious in future. I do think Sturridge has been unfortunate in the last two years with his injury run.

I am worried for Ings though, this run of injuries is career threatening. Terrible to see when he should be approaching his football prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

That :rolleyes: is the most arrogant smiley on boards.

Regarding Sturridge tackling. He's a striker, it's not his job to tackle. He was signed to score goals and that's what he does best and what he'll be remembered for. Granted some strikers do get around and tackle but that's a style of play factor.

No manager or fan has every got excited by a striker being signed because of his tackling ability.

As for the rest; I believe it's up to the player to decide how he feels and if one has had a run of injuries then they are going to be more cautious in future. I do think Sturridge has been unfortunate in the last two years with his injury run.

I am worried for Ings though, this run of injuries is career threatening. Terrible to see when he should be approaching his football prime.
    It is not Sturridge's style but he could change but he won't for some reason. Still a very good player & will score goals for us but he won't be a regular under Klopp. Look at Aguero under Pep. He has improved his defensive game already & he has had injury problems too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Awful news on Ings, you'd have to think too that when (if?) he comes back he won't want to stay around and sit on the bench, h'll surely want to maximise his playing days now and just get out on the pitch and for that you can't fault him.

I'd agree with Alonso's philosophy on tackling.... especially for attackers.

Shame to see Ings injured.... will be really hard for him , both rehabilitation time & afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Augeo wrote: »
    FSG will never bankroll us to the extent that we'll ever spend that X+1 or anywhere close to it under their reign, unless we generate that X+1 as a club.

That sounds like a good thing....

8-10 wrote: »

Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's good when things are processing well on the pitch like at the moment.
    It's terrible when they aren't though, and owners won't splash out on instant fixes. That the time when peoples thoughts turn longingly towards Chinese billionaires or petro-dollared sheiks.

• Advertisement

It's good when things are processing well on the pitch like at the moment.
    It's terrible when they aren't though, and owners won't splash out on instant fixes. That the time when peoples thoughts turn longingly towards Chinese billionaires or petro-dollared sheiks.

Yep I get it, like anything the correct answer lies somewhere in between. Not only spending once it's been raised by the club, but also not spending what we don't have and can't pay back leading to more trouble. But to be honest I'm happier we're closer to the first extreme than the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I was just thinking to myself yesterday that we seemed to be quite fortunate with injuries so far this season. :(

Heartbreaking stuff for Ings. He is still a young man though - he turns 25 in July so if he is treated well then hopefully he can continue his career with us.

Klopp had some positive words at least:
    "To say we are gutted would be an understatement; he is such a great boy and has worked so hard that he deserves better luck than this.

"It is typical of Danny's personality, on and off the pitch, that he picked up this injury to his knee when courageously trying to win the ball back for his team by making a tackle.

"But it is this same personality that means he will come back as good and as strong from this latest setback as he has done in the past.

"I'm told the likely lay off is anywhere from between seven to nine months. He is mentally strong, physically strong and will have the very best treatment and rehab possible to make sure when he returns he is ready to play for us at the level we know he is capable of."

Source: http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/241655-liverpool-confirm-danny-ings-requires-knee-surgery

I think that'll be Ings done at Liverpool. Hopefully he recovers well and I'd imagine he'll go out on loan before playing for the club again. That loan spell will decide if he's got a future here. Shame, I was a big fan when he was banging them in in The Championship a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

You'd imagine we may finally have seen Ings in action after the international break too. Fixtures come thick and fast then, with the League Cup game against Leeds in the middle of it.

Hopefully Sturridge and Origi can maintain fitness 'cos I reckon they'll be called upon shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Im a Utd fan and almost never post in the Pool threads but felt the need today. You have to feel so sorry for Ings. It's terrible when good players get so unlucky with injuries. He's still only 24 so you'd imagine with any luck he'll get his career back on track, whether that will be with Liverpool or not is probably hard to know but hopefully he makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So was Ings injured by some of those bad tackles he received at the end of the Spurs game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I think that'll be Ings done at Liverpool. Hopefully he recovers well and I'd imagine he'll go out on loan before playing for the club again. That loan spell will decide if he's got a future here. Shame, I was a big fan when he was banging them in in The Championship a few years back.

Was literally coming here to post the same thing, a loan spell at start of next season would seem the best option now. Hope he comes through it in one piece.

Was literally coming here to post the same thing, a loan spell at start of next season would seem the best option now. Hope he comes through it in one piece.

It's pretty much the same as Flanagan, who unfortunately I don't see a way back for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

That's shocking about Ings. He seems like a top lad too from any clips or news I've heard about him. He's very involved in charity work I believe. Any clips you see of him he's always smiling and he has a great attitude.

Probably the end of the road for him at Anfield which is sad as he was going very well just before Klopp arrived and seemed like he'd fit into the system perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Absolutely gutted for him, I had high hopes for him at Liverpool. Could be his career done, that's what 4 or 5 serious knee injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Very dissapointing for ings . I had high hopes for him at Liverpool having seen a good bit of him at Burnley. I can't see him making at Liverpool now though. Hopefully he can just get back to playing regularly wherever that may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jasus, just in the door and this is the news that greets me :( Well I can't think he'll be at Liverpool beyond the summer now (whatever his chances were beforehand) it's only good fortune that he is effectively 4th choice in the league and third in the Cups.

Also on a personal level (hot missus or no) it must be quite crushing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A bit from Anfield Index on Liverpools different set up against Palace.

http://anfieldindex.com/25284/tactical-tweak-help-liverpool-beat-palace.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd have to agree with Sturridge's attitude to injuries.
    Why risk yourself?
    You could be lucky and be like Suarez and not get injuries or you could be unlucky and have you're career cut short by taking chances, especially if you're injury prone.
    I have a lot of respect for players that put themselves on the line but I can also see Sturridge's point of view.
    Players are different in their physiology and I don't think Gerrard should really be commenting on how Studge has to be convinced to play if he's feeling not 100%.
    Fans will love a player that plays through the pain and risks themselves but where will they be when a player gets fcuked? Sure there will be some intial well wishing but that fades away and those wishes aren't much use when your career is over at a young age.

Indeed, someone like Suarez pretty much knows from experience that they're borderline indestructible so they can throw themselves around. Sturridge on the other side, knows he's always liable to pick up a knock, so is more cautious. I can't really blame him for that.

As for Ings, it does look difficult for him to have a career with us, but I would still see a promoted side, or one of the bottom half teams from this year taking a punt on him for next year - especially if a loan option is available. He's a pretty natural goalscorer even aside from his pace anyway. Shades of Dean Ashton and his ankle problems to Ings and his knees though... hopefully Ings has a happier ending.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Indeed, someone like Suarez pretty much knows from experience that they're borderline indestructible so they can throw themselves around. Sturridge on the other side, knows he's always liable to pick up a knock, so is more cautious. I can't really blame him for that.

As for Ings, it does look difficult for him to have a career with us, but I would still see a promoted side, or one of the bottom half teams from this year taking a punt on him for next year - especially if a loan option is available. He's a pretty natural goalscorer even aside from his pace anyway. Shades of Dean Ashton and his ankle problems to Ings and his knees though... hopefully Ings has a happier ending.

He might get loaned to one of those clubs with us taking a hit on wages but I just can't see the like Moyes, alladarci, Steve Bruce etc the lower level mangers taking a punt in him. He just doesn't have the track record of scoring in the premier league. Reckon he'll have to drop down to get back up.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    He might get loaned to one of those clubs with us taking a hit on wages but I just can't see the like Moyes, alladarci, Steve Bruce etc the lower level mangers taking a punt in him. He just doesn't have the track record of scoring in the premier league. Reckon he'll have to drop down to get back up.

I don't know... he has pretty much exactly a 1 in 3 record in the premiership between us and Burnley. It's not incredible, but I think its enough for someone to take a risk on, particularly considering how much more he adds to a team beyond goals with his work-rate and tenacity. Keep in mind some of the strikers playing at premier league clubs... he's head and shoulders ahead of plenty of them.

Obviously all of this comes with the caveat of him recovering ok.

I don't know... he has pretty much exactly a 1 in 3 record in the premiership between us and Burnley. It's not incredible, but I think its enough for someone to take a risk on, particularly considering how much more he adds to a team beyond goals with his work-rate and tenacity. Keep in mind some of the strikers playing at premier league clubs... he's head and shoulders ahead of plenty of them.

Obviously all of this comes with the caveat of him recovering ok.

I suppose someone took Borini from us. All joking aside, I'd love to see Ings go on and do well but I fear for him.

I don't know... he has pretty much exactly a 1 in 3 record in the premiership between us and Burnley. It's not incredible.........

All jokes aside, he's much of a muchness goal scoring wise with Firmino in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

A real shame, I was hoping he would get a proper chance this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Am really hoping Spurs stay involved in European football of some description. I still don't think that they have the squad to fight on a few fronts - they've badly missed Kane for instance. The more distractions they have, the better.

mosstin wrote: »
    Am really hoping Spurs stay involved in European football of some description. I still don't think that they have the squad to fight on a few fronts - they've badly missed Kane for instance. The more distractions they have, the better.

Yup, really hoping they end up in the Europa with United, and the pair of them make it to the semi's where they respectively lose their matches :)

If Utd and Spurs do end up going that far in the EL I really hope we capitalise and finish above them in the PL.

We're after an excellent first 10 PL games and with nothing apart from domestic cups to distract us we do need to make this year count.

If Utd and Spurs do end up going that far in the EL I really hope we capitalise and finish above them in the PL.

We're after an excellent first 10 PL games and with nothing apart from domestic cups to distract us we do need to make this year count.

If we just focus on ourselves, we'll be fine. We're good enough this season to finish above both of them this season. We don't need to worry about what' s below us, prefer to look at what's above us and aim to get there.

I don't think Spurs or Utd will be challenging this season. Spurs could make top 4 but won't challenge for the title.
    Also, expect Utd and their season to unravel badly for them as their transfer policy and Mourinho get found out. This is based on how they are performing not just an anti-Utd bias. They are not the team they used to be and are way off the pace in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

If we just focus on ourselves, we'll be fine. We're good enough this season to finish above both of them this season. We don't need to worry about what' s below us, prefer to look at what's above us and aim to get there.

I don't think Spurs or Utd will be challenging this season. Spurs could make top 4 but won't challenge for the title.
    Also, expect Utd and their season to unravel badly for them as their transfer policy and Mourinho get found out. This is based on how they are performing not just an anti-Utd bias. They are not the team they used to be and are way off the pace in my opinion.

I think United will get their **** together at some stage and challenge for Top 4 but they're not good enough to challenge for the title. I find it amazing how often people underrate Spurs though. They'll be up there this season for sure and will probably challenge for the title if they have no other distractions. Best of luck to them in the EL.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    I think United will get their **** together at some stage and challenge for Top 4 but they're not good enough to challenge for the title. I find it amazing how often people underrate Spurs though. They'll be up there this season for sure and will probably challenge for the title if they have no other distractions. Best of luck to them in the EL.

I don't like the Utd squad at all, and I don't think the situation with Mourinho is good. How he left Chelsea is a negative, how he's living at the moment is a negative. His fines, ban and skirmishes with refs are negative. I think it could turn very nasty there.

As for Spurs, did you see them last night? They looked very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

But, but... I read on another thread that they will challenge for the title, something about having the best squad and manager in the league

xabi wrote: »
    But, but... I read on another thread that they will challenge for the title, something about having the best squad and manager in the league

I read that too, going to Anfield and grinding out a 0-0 draw and also 35 shots against Burnley is title winning form apparently.

The talk of Ibrahimovic showing good signs by being in the right place reminds a lot here of people who spoke so positively about Borini's movement. Never works out in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

I don't like the Utd squad at all, and I don't think the situation with Mourinho is good. How he left Chelsea is a negative, how he's living at the moment is a negative. His fines, ban and skirmishes with refs are negative. I think it could turn very nasty there.

As for Spurs, did you see them last night? They looked very poor.

3 goals in 6 now for spurs is very poor goalscoring form. I think 2 of those were pens too from Jannsen.

Agree with this. I really think we're going to look back and be delighted that we lost the EL final.

Also, can we please stop talking about United?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement