Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

mosstin wrote: »
    Am really hoping Spurs stay involved in European football of some description. I still don't think that they have the squad to fight on a few fronts - they've badly missed Kane for instance. The more distractions they have, the better.

They are Spurs, they are irrelevant. I know Pochettino is seen by many as the second coming of Arrigo Sacchi but fact is league points total with him no better than Villas-Boas/Sherwood or even Redknapp. I don't get the hype at all.

Btw, I am highly aware they have finished ahead of Liverpool the majority of the last ten years but I'm talking about where Liverpool are aiming to be, of course they are not irrelevant if we continue scrapping for 5th/6th place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Spurs are far too dependent on Kane and Eriksen looks in poor form for a while now. Very tough side to beat though but drawing games doesn't win you a league.

United could get it together, but I suspect they will fall further away before they do. They have big problems at that club, their throwing money at it isn't fixing it. An expensive mess.

Arsenal look brilliant so far but they generally do at this stage, the real test is do they have the stomach for the fight after Feb.

Chelsea are still my favourites to win it, players like Costa and Hazard in dangerous form again plus only the league and FA cup to play in still.

Man City, I expected Pep's ideas and philosophy to take longer to take shape but they hit the ground running, had a stumble and are still top. That win against Barca will do wonders for their confidence. A long run in the champions league could damage their league campaign hopefully but that is clutching at straws.

We need to keep beating the teams below us and it could come down to beating Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea at Anfield in the 2nd half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

rob316 wrote: »
    Spurs are far too dependent on Kane and Eriksen looks in poor form for a while now. Very tough side to beat though but drawing games doesn't win you a league.

United could get it together, but I suspect they will fall further away before they do. They have big problems at that club, their throwing money at it isn't fixing it. An expensive mess.

Arsenal look brilliant so far but they generally do at this stage, the real test is do they have the stomach for the fight after Feb.

Chelsea are still my favourites to win it, players like Costa and Hazard in dangerous form again plus only the league and FA cup to play in still.

Man City, I expected Pep's ideas and philosophy to take longer to take shape but they hit the ground running, had a stumble and are still top. That win against Barca will do wonders for their confidence. A long run in the champions league could damage their league campaign hopefully but that is clutching at straws.

We need to keep beating the teams below us and it could come down to beating Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea at Anfield in the 2nd half of the season.

Lets face it, City are favorites for a reason. They have 3 game changers in Aguero, Silva and DeBruyne. If all 3 stay fit and firing, there is no reason City should not win the league even with CL distractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I remember many wanted him at Liverpool saying he was better than Coutinho. Great from set pieces but often goes missing in general play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Crikey, that is just mental. Andy Carroll was actually fit enough to drive to training :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

And brave enough not to comply.
    Most would, he floored it and out ran them.
    He will be so scared now at every junction he stops at

Andy is from Gateshead, not one of the nicer parts either. I'd say he's relatively street wise to be fair to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jaysus. Hard to believe that.

Andy Carroll is 27.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

MD1990 wrote: »
    I remember many wanted him at Liverpool saying he was better than Coutinho. Great from set pieces but often goes missing in general play.

And they would be correct. He's been far more consistent than Coutinho up until the start of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Knex. wrote: »
    Jaysus. Hard to believe that.

Andy Carroll is 27.
    Me and the boys were only talking about him last week. I couldn't believe it myself!

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Rayne Wooney;101544456]And they would be correct. He's been far more consistent than Coutinho up until the start of this season.[/QUOTE]
    I wouldn't agree.
    But it is clear which player has the potential to become the best player in the PL.
    Not a bad signing for 8m especially when certain players are costing 90m & not even improving the team yet.

Pochettino is a very good manager. Janssen was a poor signing imo and isn't up to much but if they can keep Kane fit they'll go alright. I think with Europe they'll struggle though and they'll be battling for fourth.

Chelsea will definitely be up there and Conte looks to have found a working system. My 2nd favourites.

City are my favourites to win the league. I think that win at the weekend was badly needed and they'll push on and dominate from now on. The barca result was massive for them and is a serious confidence booster.

Arsenal and ourselves are the dark horses. Arsenal are going like they always do at this stage of the season. They're flying and are playing lovely football but there's always that slump after December. However, I think there's something different with their squad this year. Ozil, Sanchez and Walcott are in terrific form and defensively they look solid. It just all depends on their mentality when they hit that slump.

We're playing the best football in the league, imo. Attacking wise we are scarily good but we still tend to concede sloppy goals. I don't think we've been bad defensively, just mistakes that are leading to goals. Our best back four is very solid but we have a new keeper to bed in which doesn't help. If we can get that sorted then we'll definitely challenge. On paper our squad isnt the best but the way the players are playing for each other and the manager and our mentality when we go a goal down is fantastic.

Everton, Leicester, Southampton and United will battle it out for the Europa places.

I wouldn't agree.
    But it is clear which player has the potential to become the best player in the PL.
    Not a bad signing for 8m especially when certain players are costing 90m & not even improving the team yet.

They are the same age

And they would be correct. He's been far more consistent than Coutinho up until the start of this season.

Would agree he's been more consistent. But Coutinho finally looks like he's getting it together and is pushing on this season. He's been fantastic for us and his stats are similar to Ozil's, who many would say is the player of the year so far. He needs to produce it over a full season though.

Eriksen is at his peak now and is probably on the same level as Coutinho.

hefferboi wrote: »
    Pochettino is a very good manager. Janssen was a poor signing imo and isn't up to much but if they can keep Kane fit they'll go alright. I think with Europe they'll struggle though and they'll be battling for fourth.

Chelsea will definitely be up there and Conte looks to have found a working system. My 2nd favourites.

City are my favourites to win the league. I think that win at the weekend was badly needed and they'll push on and dominate from now on. The barca result was massive for them and is a serious confidence booster.

Arsenal and ourselves are the dark horses. Arsenal are going like they always do at this stage of the season. They're flying and are playing lovely football but there's always that slump after December. However, I think there's something different with their squad this year. Ozil, Sanchez and Walcott are in terrific form and defensively they look solid. It just all depends on their mentality when they hit that slump.

We're playing the best football in the league, imo. Attacking wise we are scarily good but we still tend to concede sloppy goals. I don't think we've been bad defensively, just mistakes that are leading to goals. Our best back four is very solid but we have a new keeper to bed in which doesn't help. If we can get that sorted then we'll definitely challenge. On paper our squad isnt the best but the way the players are playing for each other and the manager and our mentality when we go a goal down is fantastic.

Everton, Leicester, Southampton and United will battle it out for the Europa places.
    The Barca win for City is very bad for us. I was very disapointed with theresult as as you said it is a huge confidence boost. With City's fixtures coming up I can see them going on a great run for the next month. There defence is weak though.
    The Premier League this season is weak. Quite a few poor teams & I don't see as many dropped points as previous seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

There defence is weak though.
    The Premier League this season is weak. Quite a few poor teams & I don't see as many dropped points as previous seasons.

If their defence is weak Liverpool's is even weaker. We are liable to concede goals again anyone from a set peace dare I say it even Sunderland ha. Its crazy this defensive fraility hasn't been sorted out yet.

Going forward we do look seriously good though

I'd agree but Coutinho is undoubtedly the more talented. A consistent Phil is on another level to Eriksen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Eriksen isn't consistent . He is the type of player that gets a goal and 2 assists and then does nothing for a good few weeks. This is a simple case of rayne looking at eriksens goal and assist stats and comparing them to coutinhos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kind of hoping Firmino starts the game on Sunday wearing his Halloween facepaint.

• Advertisement

Barcelona opening talks with Suarez, worried Man u will get him.

39F684A600000578-3900458-Lionel_Messi_runs_to_celebrate_with_Neymar_after_giving_Barcelon-a-3_1478171962241.jpg

Dunno why United would pay 135m for a guy with one leg though.
    Says a lot about Ibramisabitch

Suarez hitting prime now.
    Next 3 years will see him at his best.

Messi looks like he is meeting his mom at the airport after months away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Suarez hitting prime now.
    Next 3 years will see him at his best.

Don't mean to come across naïve but would Suarez go to united? I'd like to think he wouldn't...then again money talks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

jones wrote: »
    Don't mean to come across naïve but would Suarez go to united? I'd like to think he wouldn't...then again money talks

I think he would be reluctant and i don't think it is all about the money with him.They made his life very difficult for a while and i think it would be the first thing he would remember if they came knocking, however agents can be very persuasive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Firstly, Suarez has already said that he'd only come back to Liverpool if he went back to England. ( I know, I know)

Secondly, why would he leave Barcelona and go to Utd? They're not competing, not in Champion's League and are beset with problems.

If he was to leave I'd say only City could get him or possibly Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's practically a done dead, this just went up in the United store prior to the announcement and was swiftly taken down until it's official.

41Uwrwx6U-L._SX300_.jpg

Suarez wouldn't get into that united team.

murpho999 wrote: »

If he was to leave I'd say only City could get him or possibly Chelsea.

I could really see him go to City.
    I think they'd appeal to him, City gets to the CL every year but never does the job there, that's a challenge that would appeal to Suarez IMO.
    And City have the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

hefferboi wrote: »
    Suarez wouldn't get into that united team.

The first combined Liverpool United XI, where United fans won't include their own player, but every Liverpool fan will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Eriksen isn't consistent . He is the type of player that gets a goal and 2 assists and then does nothing for a good few weeks. This is a simple case of rayne looking at eriksens goal and assist stats and comparing them to coutinhos.
    Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Liverpool should have stood their ground with Suarez back in 2014 and ignored the nonsense from rival fans and the media. Even if wanted to leave he was never a guy to sulk, he always gave 100%

Probably have at least one title now had they kept him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Barcelona or Madrid do not sell their best players.

There is more chance of me winning the word darts championship than that "transfer" happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Liverpool should have stood their ground with Suarez back in 2014 and ignored the nonsense from rival fans and the media. Even if wanted to leave he was never a guy to sulk, he always gave 100%

We sold him too cheap.

It is often mentioned we should have got more.
    But he had a release clause. I don't think after somehow getting away without selling him to Arsenal after they met his release we were going to get away with that again.
    Suarez might have sued the club.

I'd agree but Coutinho is undoubtedly the more talented. A consistent Phil is on another level to Eriksen.

Talent counts for little, there are millions of talented youngsters in Brazil.

It seems to always be ifs with Coutinho. If any player becomes consistent they will obviously be far better but becoming consistent is something most players don't achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yeah, we should have kept a player that wanted to leave us for the best team in the world.

The only problem was indentured servitude has been illegal with quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It seems to always be ifs with Coutinho. If any player becomes consistent they will obviously be far better but becoming consistent is something most players don't achieve.

Coutinho is consistently better than any Man Utd forward that's for sure.

Coutinho is consistently better than any Man Utd forward that's for sure.

In the tiny sample size that is this season, Martial had a 6 month period at 19 at levels that Coutinho has never reached despite being almost 25. So there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

In the tiny sample size that is this season, Martial had a 6 month period at 19 at levels that Coutinho has never reached despite being almost 25. So there's that.

You waste words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Nearly every post you make concerning Liverpool is about Coutinho, usually criticising him as well. Think someone's a wee bit obsessed.

Or jealous of a player who is, you know, able to actually score and assist goals? Must be an alien concept to ye. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

On one hand I could say imagine Klopp's team with Suarez in it, but I'd settle for the top teams performing like they did last year, against this Klopp team for the title.
    There's always at least one top team playing really well when Liverpool look like contenders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Levels above being a massive exaggeration. Like Rashford, Martial stood out in that horrendous team but in the grand scheme of things he wasn't ground breakingly brilliant. It's like Iheancho and Rashford, one guy gets all the hype in the world because he's in a team that's in crisis and he's a shining light, while the other guy is fighting for a place with some of the most in form players on the planet and making things happen every time he gets on the pitch and backs it up with stats. Martial had a fine debut season, nothing spectacular and certainly wasn't levels above Coutinho overall. Also Martial cost nearly 40 million pound which could rise to 50% more of that. Coutinho cost less than 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Have we learned NOTHING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Alonso77 wrote: »
    You waste words

And we waste them equally feeding him.

haha come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Coutinho was better during our title challenge of 13/14 than I've ever seen Martial play, and I watch almost all of Utd's games, so unless your talking about a 6 month period when he was in France you can jog on with that rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Martial's old news, the new Martial is Depay... and the new Depay is Rashford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I like when Rayne drops by because he usually pulls something from his arse that is absolutely hilarious and here's today's beauty.

That will be hard to beat but I'm sure he'll try.

• Advertisement

Burial. wrote: »
    Levels above being a massive exaggeration. Like Rashford, Martial stood out in that horrendous team but in the grand scheme of things he wasn't ground breakingly brilliant. It's like Iheancho and Rashford, one guy gets all the hype in the world because he's in a team that's in crisis and he's a shining light, while the other guy is fighting for a place with some of the most in form players on the planet and making things happen every time he gets on the pitch and backs it up with stats. Martial had a fine debut season, nothing spectacular and certainly wasn't levels above Coutinho overall. Also Martial cost nearly 40 million pound which could rise to 50% more of that. Coutinho cost less than 10.

He only went and scored 17 goals and 9 assists in his first year in English football, but yeah Coutinho has done that right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement