Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If we move two points clear at the top tomorrow, I don't see us being caught until the City game on New Year's Eve at the earliest. Our fixture list until then is very nice to look at, only the Everton game looks dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Draws in 5:30 game and the London Derby tomorrow would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

martyos121 wrote: »
    If we move two points clear at the top tomorrow, I don't see us being caught until the City game on New Year's Eve at the earliest. Our fixture list until then is very nice to look at, only the Everton game looks dangerous.
    Please don't jinx us.
    No chance we win tomorow :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

You've gone and done it now you magpie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Got to do our own job tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Watford are well setup and a decent side in good form, but anything less than a win will be a missed opportunity. If Klopp wants us in that top 4, 3 points is a must tomorrow. Again, that being said, a draw or a loss wouldn't shock me but we have to be putting teams like this away at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

City &
    Chelsea play home games today. Hopefully one of them drops pts

Would be good to see some points dropped and then to take advantage tomorrow.

Borne I'll be watching your utterances for betting tips

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Whenever I'm nervous about a match like this which most Liverpool fans would consider very winnable, I generally feel the players would be thinking the same way but listening to Klopp in each pre match interview he just has a different way of thinking. A way that keeps you grounded so that you don't panic against teams propping up the table or when things aren't going your way. It's why I think we are holding onto leads and we come back from losing positions.
    I believe he's excellent at changing the mindset of the players' approach to games, especially of this calibre.
    Man Utd of old had a knack of getting a late goal to win the match and it would be deemed lucky but with their belief and their opponents fear they'd generally score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Posted like a man who hasn't had his heart broken constantly over the past 26 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

10,000 post so I'll say.
    It's definitely our year.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Posted like a man who hasn't had his heart broken constantly over the past 26 years.

Nope, posted like a man who's been through more than enough with this club and has a lot of faith in our current manager.

I don't particularly like the way optimism is completely slated in this thread either, it doesn't enrage me or anything like that but it really gets tiring after a while. That's not aimed at you specifically of course, it's a recurring theme here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Nope, posted like a man who's been through more than enough with this club and has a lot of faith in our current manager.

I don't particularly like the way optimism is completely slated in this thread either, it doesn't enrage me or anything like that but it really gets tiring after a while. That's not aimed at you specifically of course, it's a recurring theme here.

After 26 years of shit happening, I almost always expect more shit to happen. I envy anyone who can put their head above the parapet and declare that they see us winning matches almost as if it's an inevitability.
    Klopp is wonderful but I don't think that I'll ever get to that stage of confidence with us again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Whenever I'm nervous about a match like this which most Liverpool fans would consider very winnable, I generally feel the players would be thinking the same way but listening to Klopp in each pre match interview he just has a different way of thinking. A way that keeps you grounded so that you don't panic against teams propping up the table or when things aren't going your way

In fairness Watford aren't propping up the table, they're above United in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

If we move two points clear at the top tomorrow, I don't see us being caught until the City game on New Year's Eve at the earliest. Our fixture list until then is very nice to look at, only the Everton game looks dangerous.[/QUOTe

Not going 2 points clear no matter what happens tomorrow, Chelsea are looking very good, could be there year,no doubt mourinho would take the credit

8-10 wrote: »
    In fairness Watford aren't propping up the table, they're above United in the league.

That's not quite the yard-stick that it used to be. :)

But yeah Watford are a bloody good side. Very dangerous aerially too which if we're honest is not one of our strengths defensively, plus they're very quick on the counter-attack and that's where they sort of rise above the likes of West Brom who rely on set plays and wimbledon-esque crap.
    Watford are better than that.

But sure the likes of Palace away are usually our achilles heal and I was mighty impressed with how well we got over that hurdle so maybe things are changing a bit now in games like this. We can only hope.

Won't be easy at all but I fancy us to nick it by the odd goal. And even if we draw it won't be end of universe stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Chelsea will be top tonight.
    They were considered to be a team in need of an overhaul month ago.

mosstin wrote: »
    After 26 years of shit happening, I almost always expect more shit to happen. I envy anyone who can put their head above the parapet and declare that they see us winning matches almost as if it's an inevitability.
    Klopp is wonderful but I don't think that I'll ever get to that stage of confidence with us again.

I fully understand that, I felt like that for a long time as well. It's just that some people talk as if we're not allowed to think big, as if we're cursed. Things are clearly changing for the better under Klopp though, all of a sudden we aren't losing to every small team we play, every part of the club is moving forward, from the recruitment to the youth academy. There's cause for optimism, I get why people don't want to buy into that, but anyone that does shouldn't be criticised (even though it's mostly lighthearted humour).

I wasn't alive the last time we won a league title, I've known nothing but second place (doubly true since I'm a Mayo man :pac:) but I don't let that bring me down. Plus, all I said was there's a high chance we'll be top at Christmas if we win tomorrow, I'm not on about winning the league or anything. If our form against the poorer sides continues though (which has been our weakness pretty much every year), we'll be in the hunt without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Our win at stamford bridge looking more impressive by the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

klose wrote: »

In fairness Chelsea are a different side now

klose wrote: »

Every week that goes by makes me even happier that we got it out of the way early. Any side with a new manager is one you want to play as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

Didn't Ferguson say they weren't real contenders?

Bound to go close now :D

They're a good side in fairness and Conte is sort of like Klopp in the passion he shows on the touchline, while being his polar opposite in terms of playing style.

I was amazed at how bad they looked against us that night but they've come on a tonne since.

Good side to be fair.

I'd have City as favourites despite recent cock-ups and then there ain't much between us and chelsea and arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

8-10 wrote: »

True enough but what I meant was teams that we feel we should beat at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

In fairness Chelsea are a different side now

Agreed, pretty much after we beat them thyve looked a much better team. Glad to have that game out if the way good and early in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Yeah, the city game will be interesting since Pep will have more games under his belt than Conte did.
    Interesting to see City still dropping points and Chelsea are on a good run again. Looks to be a few good teams this season.

I wasn't alive the last time we won a league title, I've known nothing but second place (doubly true since I'm a Mayo man :pac:) .

Haha, no way? A Mayo/Liverpool fan.

Feckin hell fella, that's a hard graft.

Only good thing is that if you weren't alive last time we won the league then at least you have time on your side!

But Mayo AND Liverpool?
    That's a heart-breaking combination if ever there was one! :D

(no offence btw, my good lady is from hollymount, mayo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

With Luiz, and alonso in defence and moses in attack how the **** are Chelsea doing so well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

That would be the Eamon Dunphy style of analysis where one defeat would show up a team as a "cod" and the next win they would be world beaters. Not just him at it too. Patience seems to be a dying virtue in general these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Looks like they've found a way of aaccommodating Luiz by playing 3 at the back. If they strengthen their wing back positions in January, I'd say they'll come 2nd for sure.

Kante has been in excellent form.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    With Luiz, and alonso in defence and moses in attack how the **** are Chelsea doing so well

Sure our own fans predicted armageddon with James Milner left back for us if you go back a few dozen pages.

And how did Leicester win the league last season?

It doesn't always add up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

shamrock55 wrote: »

Conte.

Luiz has become disciplined. He's basically a sweeper, and doesn't maraud at will like he used to.

Alonso and Moses are basically wingers. Azpilicueta, Kanté, Matic is more than enough defensive cover. In fact, Kanté is probably the signing of the season such in the superhuman cover he provides.

I'm just delighted we played them when we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

They're looking good in fairness,not concealing goals either,Everton really putting it up to them tonight though😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Those 3 points we picked up at Stamford Bridge looking pretty good now.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Looks like they've found a way of aaccommodating Luiz by playing 3 at the back. If they strengthen their wing back positions in January, I'd say they'll come 2nd for sure.

I wonder was there a 3 at the back plan for us before Sakho went totally off the rails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

MD1990 wrote: »
    Please don't jinx us.
    No chance we win tomorow :).
    Mark Lawrenson has tipped us to win 3-0, so obviously we're going to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

No, I just can't see Man City coming third...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

SlickRic wrote: »
    Conte.

Luiz has become disciplined. He's basically a sweeper, and doesn't maraud at will like he used to.

Alonso and Moses are basically wingers. Azpilicueta, Kanté, Matic is more than enough defensive cover. In fact, Kanté is probably the signing of the season such in the superhuman cover he provides.

I'm just delighted we played them when we did.

He actually marauds as much as he used to except the system suits his style now because with 2 other CB's behind him he can step up comfortably knowing that he is covered. He is given the freedom to distribute the ball, often finding bypassing midfield with a through ball to the forwards.

Christ lads, they (chelsea) look good alright and yes they'll be up there but at the same time who has looked better than us so far?

Fckin nobody.

Chelsea have scored more than anyone and only concede 9.

No, I just can't see Man City coming third...

Well Arsenal already has fourth sown up, so that just leaves.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well Arsenal already has fourth sown up, so that just leaves.....

That means Spurs finish outside the top 4.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    I wonder was there a 3 at the back plan for us before Sakho went totally off the rails.

Yeah you wouldn't know. Ive heard klopp say that he hasn't got a set formation and he just finds the best way to suit the players he has.

Draw experts Middlebrough , City and Spurs next for Chelsea though.

That means Spurs finish outside the top 4.

And Leicester.

Nice to see Everton hammered regardless of the context......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ah no, that's not what I meant. Klopp is far from being a one trick pony, very far from it.

All I was saying is that our system works better with Firmino as a forward than it would with a less mobile forward.

It's hardly a ground-breaking claim, you've seen us with Firmino versus us with Sturridge for example.
    That's not a dig at Sturridge either btw, it's just down to the fluid system that Klopp likes.

Yeah it would worry me too if Firmino or Coutinho were to get injured for a long spell but you could say that about any team if one of their best players were to be missing for a bit. C'est la vie.

We have Origi and Sturridge to come in if anything happens and most teams would love to be in that situation.
    But for me, Firmino has become arguably our most important player.
    Not our "best" player, but most important imo.

I doubt Klopp looks at it that way. Coutinho is vital for creativity and pressing, Mane for directness and also presses well, Lallana etc.

Just on pressing, the numbers are down about a third from last season. Used to be over 200 presses a game, now about 140/150. I think that is because the team is just better at it, more targeted and familiar at what to do. There's less headless chicken stuff. It seems we're better at pressing higher up which has left less need for Henderson or Can to do it, they are nearly the ones that benefit as the more effective the press is higher up they can concentrate more on getting possession back directly from the press and then use the possession.

Watford will be tough, good defensively and a habit of scoring goals from not that many shots on target, the ones we used to struggle against! We got over Palace and Brom so I'm more confident than before about these games.

Wa

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Chelsea have scored more than anyone

We have a game in hand to rectify that :D

K-9 wrote: »
    I doubt Klopp looks at it that way.

You mean you doubt that Klopp sees Firmino as our most important player?

No I doubt he does either.

That was my own opinion. That's why I said "for me...."

I doubt Klopp sees anyone as the most important player. Wouldnt be his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

NukaCola wrote: »
    Nice to see Everton hammered regardless of the context......

Why? Because they're our Merseyside rivals? Can't say I'm too bothered what they do tbh, I'd definitely rather they got something from Chelsea bar the flogging they got, but if you gain some satisfaction from them losing good luck to you.

Why? Because they're our Merseyside rivals? Can't say I'm too bothered what they do tbh, I'd definitely rather they got something from Chelsea bar the flogging they got, but if you gain some satisfaction from them losing good luck to you.

Well its one of those things, if they got a result then it suits us, but happy enough they got destroyed.......

K-9 wrote: »
    Just on pressing, the numbers are down about a third from last season. Used to be over 200 presses a game, now about 140/150. I think that is because the team is just better at it, more targeted and familiar at what to do. There's less headless chicken stuff.

There was an interview with James Milner a couple of months after Klopp's first game (away to Spurs).
    And Milner said that Klopp actually gave out to them for running too much during the Spurs game.

"wasting energy" was what he said apparently.

So from the very start the idea was to press and work yer sacks off but only to do it in a controlled and systematic way.

Obviously nowadays we've got better at it so the players are running less to achieve the same aim. (like your stats above)

If you go back to the Europa League final there was a comment by Ferguson afterwards saying that no team can press non-stop for 90 mins and thats why we ran out of energy 2nd half.

He was right and he was wrong.

He was right on the night but since then we have actually learned how to do it for 90 minutes and it's down to what Milner touched upon in that interview.
    It's about "not wasting energy".

So what we're seeing now is short bursts of pressing and only done at the right times.
    Hence your stats.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement