Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

So what we're seeing now is short bursts of pressing and only done at the right times.
    Hence your stats.

" in the right moment" as the man says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool U23s beat Huddersfield in the Premier League Cup. 3-0 goals from Lennon, Wilson (pen) and Brannagan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There was an interview with James Milner a couple of months after Klopp's first game (away to Spurs).
    And Milner said that Klopp actually gave out to them for running too much during the Spurs game.

"wasting energy" was what he said apparently.

So from the very start the idea was to press and work yer sacks off but only to do it in a controlled and systematic way.

Obviously nowadays we've got better at it so the players are running less to achieve the same aim. (like your stats above)

If you go back to the Europa League final there was a comment by Ferguson afterwards saying that no team can press non-stop for 90 mins and thats why we ran out of energy 2nd half.

He was right and he was wrong.

He was right on the night but since then we have actually learned how to do it for 90 minutes and it's down to what Milner touched upon in that interview.
    It's about "not wasting energy".

So what we're seeing now is short bursts of pressing and only done at the right times.
    Hence your stats.

I wrote this on the guardian blogs in October (an article about how Liverpool and Spurs are setting a thrilling premier league pace"
    Klopp has quickly evolved a blueprint based around phases of play rather than focal points as such you don't really need as striker at all. Four fleet footed attackers who are constantly moving themselves and the ball around the top 25 yards of the pitch are so much harder for the opposition to keep up with. Swansea, having been given an easy head start were by the end (bar that added time opportunity) hanging on while Liverpool's energy levels were still fine. I think this is why the much discussed (read hoped for) fatigue factor is not going to feature - the team works in packs and in bursts so that while there is a lot of activity equally there are periods when they stand off or pass about under no pressure and one only needs to look at least season when they were still turning it on late in a very long season against the likes of Dortmund, Everton and Villarreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Just on the pressing thing, as stated above, Klopp addressed this a few weeks back saying we now press at the right times instead of every time.
    I love seeing how the system works in game, first you'll see a trigger, usually Lallana, Can, Hendo or Milner hunt down a player, as soon as that initial burst of speed happens from one of them that's the trigger for the nearest 2/3 players to tighten the net, it's very sucessfull and far more often than not they'll win the ball high up.
    I suppose what im trying to say is that this season we hunt in packs of 3 or 4, we're organised, whereas last year it was a bit more of a headless chicken stuff, running for the sake of running.

Just seen the Chelsea result, impressive, not often you'll see Koeman getting spanked like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I see our League Cup opponents had a last gasp 3-2 victory today, what's the point of my post? The guys name who got their winner is something to behold, none other than one Ronaldo Vieira!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I see our League Cup opponents had a last gasp 3-2 victory today, what's the point of my post? The guys name who got their winner is something to behold, none other than one Ronaldo Vieira!

He's good, but he's no Mcmanaman Souness :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Cub's won the World Series :eek: Ireland beat New Zealand :eek: Our Year :p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just seen the Chelsea result, impressive, not often you'll see Koeman getting spanked like that.

fygyj5s1.png

The Cub's won the World Series

World series? God bless the yanks, everything has to be global.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Caught my eye too when I was scanning through the results and I looked him up-he has a brother called Romario who's also on Leeds's books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mayo lost all Ireland tho. Wasn't meant to reply to this comment. The one about it being our year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

World series?

Is this seriously the first time you've heard of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hoping for a boring North London derby and we spank Watford. Be nice to be top for 2 weeks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There was an interview with James Milner a couple of months after Klopp's first game (away to Spurs).
    And Milner said that Klopp actually gave out to them for running too much during the Spurs game.

"wasting energy" was what he said apparently.

So from the very start the idea was to press and work yer sacks off but only to do it in a controlled and systematic way.

Obviously nowadays we've got better at it so the players are running less to achieve the same aim. (like your stats above)

If you go back to the Europa League final there was a comment by Ferguson afterwards saying that no team can press non-stop for 90 mins and thats why we ran out of energy 2nd half.

He was right and he was wrong.

He was right on the night but since then we have actually learned how to do it for 90 minutes and it's down to what Milner touched upon in that interview.
    It's about "not wasting energy".

Hence your stats.

Don't think the players are running less, we are still high in the sprint and distance covered stats. It's just more effective.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Since the football analyst/nerd put up the speel about the pressing etc a few weeks ago on one of the LFC forums/sites (someone put the link here for us) many folk are coming up with very similar analysis/speels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Pretty sure it was named after the original sponsor, the World Newspaper or something like that

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was named after the original sponsor, the World Newspaper or something like that

Fair play, I never knew that.

You'd be a handy fella to be sitting with at the table quiz :D

An interesting stat:

When Dejan Lovren and Joel Matip found the net at Crystal Palace last week, it was the first time since September 1968 that both Liverpool centre-backs had scored in the same league match, when Ron Yeats and Tommy Smith did so against Leicester City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

An interesting stat:

When Dejan Lovren and Joel Matip found the net at Crystal Palace last week, it was the first time since September 1968 that both Liverpool centre-backs had scored in the same league match, when Ron Yeats and Tommy Smith did so against Leicester City.

League match yes, but both our CB's scored against Dortmund at Anfield a few months back.......

NukaCola wrote: »
    League match yes, but both our CB's scored against Dortmund at Anfield a few months back.......

Yeah I know but in league games only... Hell of a long time!

• Advertisement

LiamoSail wrote: »

Nope.....apparently thats not true.....

It was the World's Championship Series when it was first established, and at the time it was an appropriate name because nobody else played professional baseball. By the time other countries (most notably Japan) started playing high level professional baseball, the World Series name was already established as the name of the Major League Baseball championship, and is only thought of as that.

I got that from Reddit. I'm not a big fan of baseball but the name "The World Series" was always a funny thing to me.

Yeah I know but in league games only... Hell of a long time!

Yea, for obvious reasons though......something very satisfying about it!

NukaCola wrote: »
    Nope.....apparently thats not true.....

It was the World's Championship Series when it was first established, and at the time it was an appropriate name because nobody else played professional baseball. By the time other countries (most notably Japan) started playing high level professional baseball, the World Series name was already established as the name of the Major League Baseball championship, and is only thought of as that.

I got that from Reddit. I'm not a big fan of baseball but the name "The World Series" was always a funny thing to me.

I'd imagine if Mexican, Korean, Japanese or Dominican clubs had enough investment and got to a good enough level they would be able to join the league

There's already a Canadian team in the league and there's been a Canadian team in the past too so the implication that it's just a US-only thing is false

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Read this really good piece by Daniel Taylor on Coventry's decline in the Guardian. Makes me grateful for FSG and where things could have gone for us with H & G.
    Worth reading if only for the anecdote about text-a-sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Mayo lost all Ireland tho. Wasn't meant to reply to this comment. The one about it being our year

Ye mean mayo lost the world championships final . . Again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

No match thread:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

8-10 wrote: »
    I'd imagine if Mexican, Korean, Japanese or Dominican clubs had enough investment and got to a good enough level they would be able to join the league

There's already a Canadian team in the league and there's been a Canadian team in the past too so the implication that it's just a US-only thing is false

There has been a World Cup of baseball but it was last played in 2011 and Netherlands are the holders, when baseball was in the Olympics Cuba won the most gold medals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

No match thread:eek::eek:

Good. They've become horrible cesspits

There has been a World Cup of baseball but it was last played in 2011 and Netherlands are the holders, when baseball was in the Olympics Cuba won the most gold medals

Yeah I remember Xander Bogaerts, the Red Sox shortstop, playing for the Netherlands in that tournament. I have no time for international baseball these days although I am happy that it'll finally be back at the summer olympics in 2020. Should never have been dropped. The best players these days are from Cuba and Dominican Republic. Just no financial incentives to have MLB franchises there

Is Milner due back today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Yup.

Yeah he's back available. I'd say Wijnaldum will start this one too, probably for Can

Lucas in for Lovren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lucas in for Lovren.

I wonder if it's to avoid any trouble as Lovren pulled out of the international squad for the matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Are we on telly today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Are we on telly today?

Sky Sports 1

Draw between Arsenal/Spurs. Lovely jubbly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Win and go top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Massive test of our mentality now knowing we can go top. Will be a big indicator of our progress today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

It starts today. Cmon redmen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Mané !

How fcuking good are we.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Sexual football lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

He's reaching wizard level at the moment. Special player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Loovveeellyy waarrmmm gooaaallss.

Excellent stuff so far, we're so fookin fluid and sexy when attacking, top of the league here we come (hopefully)

Can't believe Lucas missed though, he's usually so clinical in those situations ;)

sexy sexy sexy sexy sexy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

EDIT /linkfail

Anyway, ahem, job done. :pac:

Coutinho is an incredible player. His first touch today, everytime, has been sublime

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement