Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm quite uncomfortable with all these managers an pundits saying we're the best team/tipping us for the league.

Feels like they're all trying to jinx the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm quite uncomfortable with all these managers an pundits saying we're the best team/tipping us for the league.

Feels like they're all trying to jinx the team

I have to say I love it and I love it even more when they say we still have to do it against the big teams did they not see our first 8 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

8-10 wrote: »
    I'd imagine if Mexican, Korean, Japanese or Dominican clubs had enough investment and got to a good enough level they would be able to join the league

There's already a Canadian team in the league and there's been a Canadian team in the past too so the implication that it's just a US-only thing is false

Can't actually tell if you're being serious or not, but if this is satire it is beautiful! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Looks like this utd fan has no interest in watching us on motd.

https://twitter.com/I_Am_Khader/status/795365472048910337

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Charlie19 wrote: »

Don't worry, Mick will watch us anyway....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Everything's been said at this stage, but just a word on 3 players in particular.

Joel Matip, in a game that was dominated by our attack, was just about flawless. I don't think he lost one duel, and is reassuringly calm back there.

I've been one of Coutinho's big critics. Under Rodgers, then to begin with under Klopp, he flattered to deceive. He'd have one good game in seven. He'd be obsessed with trying to score worldies. He'd be incapable of having a game where he dominated like the great playmakers can. Right now, he is the centre of everything. He is the jewel in our crown. There is no player in the League playing better than him. The penny seems to have dropped, and it's glorious.

Karius has been shít since he arrived, but today was far more like it. Good saves. Punched everything well. Looked dependable. I hope that is the start of a proper run of good form because he's given me the shíts so far.

Very finally, I've already seen a few posters almost embarrassed at mentioning us as title contenders. As if we have to make apologies for it just because we haven't won it in 27 years. That's literally the only reason anyone has for trying to take the mick out of the idea that we're contenders. We are. I don't care if we're 11 games in. I don't care that we've not won the title in so long. We've every right to have some faith in a team that has transformed under a world class manager. Sure hasn't Klopp already described us as contenders.

We're not favourites. Chelsea look formidable, while City are City. But we're up there. We have a really good shot at it, especially with no European commitments. We're a damn good team and we should be proud of it. At least 3 opposing managers have now called us the best team they've faced.

We can win the League. There's nothing to be ashamed of in saying that. No need for any inferiority complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

All is good - it's possible to turn our negatives into positives after watching the team play as they did.

We didn't keep a clean sheet again today - this gives the team something to work on and keeps the supporters grounded for a while longer.

Karius made a few saves in the game which will do wonders for his confidence, on the flip side the players in front of him were giving the ball away cheaply in the second half.

The next two weeks are going to be tough and hopefully we'll get to the Southampton game with the squad still intact. On a positive note, the next international break isn't until the end of March, so we'll be able to get our weekly fix for 4 solid months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Charlie19 wrote: »

He tweets to Gary Lineker, who has never presented MOTD2. What an idiot. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

During the commentary on Sky the lead voice opined two or three times just that sort of thing, what was even more stupid was that he was saying it after only 15 mins, by the 28th Liverpool were 2-0 up. You could see the squeeze being applied (this goes back to what was being talked about here yesterday) Klopp's Liverpool are not full on for 90 mins they work in phases gradually applying pressure until they breakthrough, once Mane scored I was confident of a win.

Oh yes for those who likes the "par" system, mini table

Ref8_S4z.png

What's this table showing? Points compared to last season for the same fixtures?

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    He tweets to Gary Lineker, who has never presented MOTD2. What an idiot. :pac:

I can see the headline now in tomorrows Daily Mail.

SCANDAL..

Gary Lineker fix's MotD 2 match schedule!!!

Kick him out of the UK if he hates Brexit that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

SlickRic wrote: »
    I've been one of Coutinho's big critics. Under Rodgers, then to begin with under Klopp, he flattered to deceive. He'd have one good game in seven.

I see the point you're trying to make and I agree Coutiniho has stepped up a gear...but that is simply not true. He's always been more consistent than one good game in seven. Maybe one in two or three. He was among our best players in the title challenge under Rodgers.

The key to getting the best out of Coutiniho is to surround him with good players. He excelled when playing with Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge and now he is playing great stuff with Firmino, Mane and Lallana.

I do agree that he has improved this season though. He's involved in absolutely everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What's this table showing? Points compared to last season for the same fixtures?

It's a bit messy but the number + or - is above or below the 90 point mark which is presumed to be enough to win the league. The 71 point line is the average "4th place" line. Games are awarded values today for example was a par game for Liverpool being at home to a mid-low side, beating Man City away would be a 3 above par result. The table is the mini league of sides who are presumed to be in the Top four race (which obviously includes those who will win the title as well) The actual chart looks like this as of today

Fd_Tfo_D9.png

As you can see City dropped two as they drew against Boro at home (if they'd lost they would have been docked three points, had they won they'd be on the same points), Chelsea stay as they were despite such a massive win as Everton are presumed to be a midtable side. Man Utd go up two as they beat a mid-low side away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Coutinho seems to be a love/hate player among many fans. To say he was a 1 in 7 game player before Klopp took over is laughable really.
    He was more inconsistent but there was a reason he won Liverpool POTY twice in 14/15,15/16 i.e he was our best player.

The problem for much of that period he was playing with some very average players not suited for him like Balotelli,Borini,Lambert & Benteke in particular. Now we have Firmino settled in,Mane & finally a much better platform & system in midfield to help him achieve his best form.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

coutinho is in some form. This team are brilliant to watch.

I know he has been out injured for six months and I'm not sure when he is due back but seriously Reus would be the prefect fit if he is recovered to replace Mane when he leaves for the Africa Cup of Nation in January.

In other words buy Reus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ah balls. I had completely forgotten about Mane not being around in January. That's gonna suck.

His pace and directness alone are pretty much integral to how we attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Reus is a crock, wouldn't have him at all. Nathan Redmond is the man! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You don't need a new player up top at all. You have a seriously talented youngster in Ojo, you have Origi and Sturridge and Lallana can play Mane's position too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Shearer
    '' the law is an ass ''

• Advertisement

MOTD
    Baby C 1

Were we on yet. I think we are next unless I missed it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

MOTD
    Baby C 1

Were we on yet. I think we are next unless I missed it .

You missed it :pac:

Glico Man wrote: »
    You missed it :pac:

Aww nuts

Aww nuts

It'll be added to the link below soon enough, I'd say. They always upload the MOTD segments for every game.

http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2016/11/06/liverpool-vs-watford-highlights-full-match-2/

Gerrard's USA journey is over Galaxy lost on pens this evening.

Now hopefully he takes a few years out of the game and works a pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

was he pretty poor for galaxy this year?
    is that the end of his football days

Bowlardo wrote: »
    was he pretty poor for galaxy this year?
    is that the end of his football days

I didn't watch much of Galaxy this year but by all accounts he wasn't great at all and his contract wouldn't have been renewed as a designated player even if he wanted to stay on. Keane's isn't being renewed either so if they wanted to stay on they would get something $50k a year.

There was talk that he would try and get a club in Europe till the end of the European season as he is now a free agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

I didn't watch much of Galaxy this year but by all accounts he wasn't great at all and his contract wouldn't have been renewed as a designated player even if he wanted to stay on. Keane's isn't being renewed either so if they wanted to stay on they would get something $50k a year.

Keane to Sunderland so, his boyhood club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

It's crazy that we're top of the league and only have 1 clean sheet to our name. Part of me knows that eventually that has to catch up to us - either that or we start figuring out how to lock the door.

On a positive note, guess who else only had 1 clean sheet at this stage last season?
    Leicester Cityyyy

sweetie wrote: »

Didn't always dream of playing for Dundalk in Europe ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

There was talk that he would try and get a club in Europe till the end of the European season as he is now a free agent.
    who are galaxy going to sign if the two boys are getting released? Ibra?

Bowlardo wrote: »
    who are galaxy going to sign if the two boys are getting released? Ibra?

Keane might stay on but I honestly can't see staying if he isn't on the big money.

He will probably get offers from other MLS teams.

I haven't seen any names linked myself to who will replace them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

30 goals, 10 different scorers.

Neither Sturridge or Origi has scored in the PL. Who needs strikers huh?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sturridge I think will start against Southampton. Firmino & Coutinho will be back very late from Brazil. I suspect Coutinho will be on the bench as he was vs Leicester after an International break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

is it weird i got a boner at 6-1 lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

is it weird i got a boner at 6-1 lol

Yes. Yes, it's weird getting a hard on watching the news.

Umaro wrote: »
    It's crazy that we're top of the league and only have 1 clean sheet to our name. Part of me knows that eventually that has to catch up to us - either that or we start figuring out how to lock the door.

On a positive note, guess who else only had 1 clean sheet at this stage last season?
    Leicester Cityyyy

Our ppg after 11 games .... if we continue in this form would yield 89/90 points over the season.

Thatd win the PL most seasons but certainly recent leagues.

Not only are top but we are there convincingly.... not due to others misfiring.

I'd share your sentiment over the defence and I'm surprised we are scoring so much.... but it's clicking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I haven't felt this confident in a Liverpool team since Rafa was regulatory getting us top 4 in the mid/late noughties.

Arrah, they still have a way to go yet. Southampton away out of an International weekend is pretty tough going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Good weekend for us with all our rivals dropping points City, Arsenal, Spurs, Swansea.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

sweetie wrote: »

Even in his current diminished state, he would improve them immensely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

mosstin wrote: »
    Yes. Yes, it's weird getting a hard on watching the news.

Was it the forecast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

The only player to score his penalty for Galaxy too......his playing days ended when he left Liverpool in truth, his US experience was probably more about the experience and money than football if he was honest, nothing wrong with that either.....

NukaCola wrote: »
    The only player to score his penalty for Galaxy too......his playing days ended when he left Liverpool in truth, his US experience was probably more about the experience and money than football if he was honest, nothing wrong with that either.....

A lot to do for tax reasons and something linked to image rights taxes from what I read last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Done a day trip yesterday, 1st time over in about 4 years. The whole area around the ground has seen some improvement.

The Main Stand is just a monster. I was sitting in the Centenary Stand. A joy to watch in full flow the speed of movement & interchange with the attacking players.

The ground was full of positivity even if it was Baltic ha. The Klopp regime is going in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I only saw yer first half yesterday, but ye were amazing, dare I say I enjoyed watching ye play.

Ye are title Contenders, no doubt about it. No Europe and it could have been 6-0 at the break.

And if ye keep that quality going ye could honestly see few more 6 and 7 nils

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'm up again in a few weeks to watch them against Sunderland who are a much much worse team than Watford

Anything less than 5 goals and I'll be a bit miffed tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Lallana is quality too btw, probably surpassing the player we thought we were getting and a good example of why its always a good thing to give decent players time.....5 assists and 3 goals this season but doesn't get the love from the media/"analysts" that others do etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

NukaCola wrote: »
    Lallana is quality too btw, probably surpassing the player we thought we were getting and a good example of why its always a good thing to give decent players time.....5 assists and 3 goals this season but doesn't get the love from the media/"analysts" that others do etc

I spent most of the last two seasons giving out about him but he is my first name on the team sheet this season.
    Integral to what we do and team looks very different when he is rested.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement