Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Done a day trip yesterday, 1st time over in about 4 years. The whole area around the ground has seen some improvement.

The Main Stand is just a monster. I was sitting in the Centenary Stand. A joy to watch in full flow the speed of movement & interchange with the attacking players.

The ground was full of positivity even if it was Baltic ha. The Klopp regime is going in the right direction.
    What did you think of the atmosphere?
    Didn't come across great watching on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37891533

Stats are great when things are going well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I spent most of the last two seasons giving out about him but he is my first name on the team sheet this season.
    Integral to what we do and team looks very different when he is rested.

He is physically stronger this season, he started working on his physique last year and he is well equipped now to press and then provide quality when we are on the ball. Time was when he could never finish a game, he's not that frail little boy any more. Same for Coutinho, his legs look a bit chunkier than in previous seasons..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

NukaCola wrote: »
    Lallana is quality too btw, probably surpassing the player we thought we were getting and a good example of why its always a good thing to give decent players time.....5 assists and 3 goals this season but doesn't get the love from the media/"analysts" that others do etc

Elegance and work rate not a bad combo, I don't see many complaining about his Cryuff turns now, they're super sexy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Watching motd again and we could easily been 3/4 up before we scored. Then Danny hits the bar twice and we still score six. Great performance but Watford were pants.
    I hate getting excited about a season so early, but it really is hard not to be when you look at performances , , no Europe ,etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Will we be the first team to score 10 in a PL game and surpass Utd's 9-0 thrashing of Ipswich in 1995?

Jan 21st at home Vs Swansea.

You heard it here first ..... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Scored 9 v Palace pre-PL
    They then beat us in the FA cup later that year.
    Still remember where I was that day

Elegance and work rate not a bad combo, I don't see many complaining about his Cryuff turns now, they're super sexy.
    I think a key difference is Lallana is moving the ball a lot quicker probably due to much better movement up front.
    Moving him to CM has been a masterstroke from Klopp as has Milner to LB as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We can't be too Hippo Critical of the goals we concede
    Against Man U we gave a good defensive performance when needed.
    We choose to blow Watford away, it was what was needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I hate when people say the Liverpool played well but the likes of Watford and West Brom are shocking. Watford were ahead of united before Sunday morning. They're only shocking because we make them look that bad.

Pet peeve of mine and the lads say it a lot.

• Advertisement

It is important to remember we will very likely hit a bad patch where we not score 2-3 for a spell. Hopefully when or if this happens we can grind out a few 1-0 wins or some good away points. Despite not having many clean sheets I think on the whole we are defending better this season as Matip has been superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

hefferboi wrote: »
    I hate when people say the Liverpool played well but the likes of Watford and West Brom are shocking. Watford were ahead of united before Sunday morning. They're only shocking because we make them look that bad.

Watford have been pretty solid this season. Big physical side and they don't tend to concede very many. Until yesterday anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

MD1990 wrote: »
    It is important to remember we will very likely hit a bad patch where we not score 2-3 for a spell. Hopefully when or if this happens we can grind out a few 1-0 wins or some good away points. Despite not having many clean sheets I think on the whole we are defending better this season as Matip has been superb.

Exacctly, when we're scoring 3 or more there's not much pressure on the defence but there will be days when either the opponents defence is just rock solid/goalie is having a worldie/our guys are having a collective off day and we either need our defence to keep a clean sheet and secure a point or defend a 1-0 lead and it's our defences ability to step up when required that could be the difference.

IMO Karius is slowly growing in both stature (getting used to the physicality) and confidence and that plus the fact Klopp has confirmed him as being the #1 is helping the back four. I also think a continued run of Clyne - Matip - Lovren - Milner as a unit will help build confidence and trust and we'll begin to see clean sheets in the coming weeks. Matip and Milner are new to that unit so it's not surprising its taking 10-15 games for them to gel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yep
    Arsenal were shocking as were Chelsea and the Champions /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

It's amazing what a goal can do for you but ever since Jordan Henderson scored against Chelsea the man has been different class brilliant on the ball and constantly talking to players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I said Watford were pants , just after watching motd , and their analysis. They were , and looked pants but I don't mean to takeaway from pools performance . We just banbozzeled them and never let up. A better way of saying was that we blew them away and made them look amateur rather than stating they were pants.
    And it shows what an early goal does for the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

We made them look bad but they didn't half help us. Playing away at Anfield with 2 strikers boggles the mind. Sacrifice Ighalo for another centre mid from the start and they'd have had a better chance of frustrating us. I still fancy we'd have beaten them well given how up for it we were yesterday, but at least they'd have had a better chance of holding out without conceding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

cjmc wrote: »
    I said Watford were pants , just after watching motd , and their analysis. They were , and looked pants but I don't mean to takeaway from pools performance . We just banbozzeled them and never let up. A better way of saying was that we blew them away and made them look amateur rather than stating they were pants.
    And it shows what an early goal does for the team

Watford's biggest mistake was trying to push up high on us, It played right into our hands, the amount of space we had to play in when the ball went forward was insane, any lesser team coming to Anfield should take a leaf out of Burnley's book (ie: soak up pressure and try and hit us on the break) It will still be very difficult to get anything off us the way we are playing now but the chances of getting bet out the gate are greatly reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Watford have been pretty solid this season. Big physical side and they don't tend to concede very many. Until yesterday anyway.

Thought I heard the commentator saying they had gone 300+ mins without conceding until y'day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Will we be the first team to score 10 in a PL game and surpass Utd's 9-0 thrashing of Ipswich in 1995?

Jan 21st at home Vs Swansea.

You heard it here first ..... :P
    After watching the analysis of their match yesterday, I wouldn't imagine Bradley will still be in charge by then.

I have difficulty seeing him in charge for Christmas. They were just watching manU passing the ball around and making no effort to actually close them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Thought I heard the commentator saying they had gone 300+ mins without conceding until y'day.

3 clean sheets in a row, and only a couple conceded in the few games before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Think it was they conceded 3 goals in their last 5 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

It's amazing what a goal can do for you but ever since Jordan Henderson scored against Chelsea the man has been different class brilliant on the ball and constantly talking to players

Yes, a worthy captain!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Knex. wrote: »

4 of the top 11 are Reds. Vunderbar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

MD1990 wrote: »
    What did you think of the atmosphere?
    Didn't come across great watching on tv.

It wasn't the best TBH. However, when there was singing it was loud in parts.

The extra seats have added people but maybe not so much to the atmosphere.

Not really a huge surprise Coutinho is improving so much. Apart from Neymar so many of the top players in the world are 25+. Less players are breaking through in their teens as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Matic>>>>Zlatan:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

x43r0 wrote: »
    No way we haven't had the opportunity to maul Everton yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

I cant wait for Liverpool to bottle this!! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Gregorym2 wrote: »

tumblr_inline_na26muRah41r8p6gq.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Gregorym2 wrote: »

2 points clear on November 6th.....

We aren't talking about being 12 points clear at Xmas here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

First time on top this season and its hurting some lads already.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I only saw bits of the game yesterday as was at the FAI Cup Final. (well done city)

Got to sit down and watch it last night, Wowzer!

17 shots on target! That's mental.

The 13/14 side were clinical more and than anything but this team's level of chance creation is bordering on ridiculous. Could of been 10 goals yesterday easily and probably more. The pace, aggression and precision of our attack is frightening.

Coutinho has finally become the player we always knew he could be, but I could wax lyrical about the Mane, Firmino and Lallana. Sturridge looked brilliant too when he came on, very unlucky not the bag 2 or 3.

Watford aren't a bad side too, they only conceded 6 goals in their first 10 games.

Tougher tests will come but right now I'm not thinking of the title, I'm enjoying the football and the wins.

A return to CL football is all I expect us to get anything else is a bonus.

Feet on the ground, the Saints away after the break will be a tough one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

And before the game they had gone 5 hours of football without conceding a goal

tumblr_inline_na26muRah41r8p6gq.gif

Boom!

Our run of fixtures before the Christmas period are relatively kind.
    Top 7       Game 12         Game 13      Game 14      Game 15     Game 16
    Liverpool   Southampton     Sunderland   Bournemouth  West Ham    Middlesbrough
    Chelsea     Middlesbrough   Tottenham    Man City     West Brom   Sunderland
    Man City    Crystal Palace  Burnley      Chelsea      Leicester   Watford
    Arsenal     Man Utd         Bournemouth  West Ham     Stoke City  Everton
    Tottenham   West Ham        Chelsea      Swansea      Man Utd     Hull City
    Man Utd     Arsenal         West Ham     Everton      Tottenham   Crystal Palace
    Everton     Swansea         Southampton  Man Utd      Watford     Arsenal

Chelsea having to play both Tottenham and Man City gives us the opportunity to open a gap. Arsenal and Tottenham both have to negotiate a Mourinho parked bus fixture in the same period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Talisman wrote: »
    Man Utd     Arsenal         West Ham     Everton      Tottenham   Crystal Palace

Chelsea having to play both Tottenham and Man City gives us the opportunity to open a gap. Arsenal and Tottenham both have to negotiate a Mourinho parked bus fixture in the same period.

United have a few though games there.

noodler wrote: »
    2 points clear on November 6th.....

We aren't talking about being 12 points clear at Xmas here.
    Only 1 point clear on November 7th ... clearly this Liverpool side are bottling it already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

But we had a very hard start and came through it singing.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    United have a few though games there.

Should sail through, having lots of shot attempts now apparently....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lallana is quality too btw, probably surpassing the player we thought we were getting and a good example of why its always a good thing to give decent players time.....5 assists and 3 goals this season but doesn't get the love from the media/"analysts" that others do etc

In fairness MotD2 did mention him, the presenter said they highlighted Firmino but it could have been Mane, Coutinho or Lalanna.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »

In fairness MotD2 did mention him, the presenter said they highlighted Firmino but it could have been Mane, Coutinho or Lalanna.

He does get a mention every now and then but I feel in general the front three get most of the credit, understandable I guess. I'm not giving out or anything I'm just happy he is exceeding expectations, for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Only thing is we were a bit blessed to play Arsenal and Chelsea at the right times, but they still did the job in 2 of the toughest fixtures there is in the PL.

Took us til January to score 30 goals in the PL last season! The turn around is remarkable with only 1 addition in Mane and mostly without Sturridge. I've no doubt he will start scoring again either.

Remember when we were depending on Coutinho for a bit of magic to get a goal? Then hope we didn't concede as we knew 2 or 3 were coming!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Interesting stat, whatever team is on top going into the November international break is usually always on top at the end of the break.
    So is being top bodes well for the future.
    Only thing is, we haven't beaten a team above us in the league yet. Concerning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

So if Ozil is a genius on 100 minutes, what's Countihno? Algernon?

Damien360 wrote: »
    But we had a very hard start and came through it singing.
    But ...

pP7KsyQl.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

But ...

pP7KsyQl.png

Yeah, mentioned this last week. David Pleat is a very naughty boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

He does get a mention every now and then but I feel in general the front three get most of the credit, understandable I guess. I'm not giving out or anything I'm just happy he is exceeding expectations, for me anyway.

I've also been very critical of Lallana in the past - mostly justified I feel - but he's been phenomenal and, above anything this year, he's been so consistent. Hard work plus end product.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement