Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ojo is only recovering from a broken back if i remember correctly. Has talent for sure but reckon we be asking for too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Ojo returned to training this week I believe, whether it's full training or just light running I'm not sure.

TBH I see himself (full recovery permitting) & Ejaria battling it out for a chance to replace Mane. Ejarias backheel the other day was top notch & from how composed he was against Spurs in the League Cup, I think we'll see him given a chance.

Only part of Ejarias game missing was sharpness - he was a split second behind when playing passes, trying to make certain of them instead of instinctively going for it - I'd put that down to nerves/experience though, either way, I think with himself and Ojo, we've two relatively similar, exciting players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wouldn't be expecting too much from Ojo. Very talented but still inexperienced & has been out a long time. He done well in patches last season but these were not high pressure games. He will need games to build up fitness as well.
    I think we may need to buy a winger. Sturrige & Origi can come in too either on the wing or a switch with Firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Talisman wrote: »
    What about Milner and Clyne? The backup on the left is Alberto "Gift the opposition at least 2 goal scoring chances" Moreno and on the right is the promising but still developing Alexander-Arnold. I wouldn't want to have to rely on either for an extended period of games.

The only 2 positions where we lack decent backup, lovren played RB on a couple of occasions last year and looked just fine, LB could be problem though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The only 2 positions where we lack decent backup, lovren played RB on a couple of occasions last year and looked just fine, LB could be problem though.

Klaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Klaven.

Young Joe Gomez is back soon. Can can also slot in if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gini Wiji could play a wide role when Mane is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lallana into Mane position and Wijnaldum, Can & Henderson as the midfield 3 works as well.

It's more Mane's direct pace we will lose and could do with replacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Glico Man wrote: »
    Young Joe Gomez is back soon. Can can also slot in if required.

I really hope he makes a full recovery and gets the opportunity to make the LB slot his own. I know he is a centre-half by trade but with his skill, speed and composure... along with his defensive abilities and height, he could easily relieve Moreno and Milner of the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Klopp already said he will be looking for a winger in January. His thinking is that Mane is the only "winger" in the squad and we probably need a second one anyway. I reckon he has someone lined up already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Seems like a long time since July when many on here (including myself) were bemoaning our transfer activity. But what has transpired since then has been an absolute revelation. No way would I now question the value of Mane at €35m, he has hit the ground running and been well worth the fee. Gini was seen as a second choice to Sissoko but having seen a few Spurs games this year Sissoko has been terrible while Gini has impressed beyond all expectation. Same with Matip, he was free FFS! Grujic too, another who has done well.

It might be hindsight but I think its important to recognise what a good transfer window we have just had. We got good money for Ibe, Benteke and Allen and while no-one wanted to see Kolo Toure leave it turns out it was the right decision. Every player we have brought in has contributed and undoubtedly strengthened the overall squad.

Its been the best transfer window since we signed Suarez and Countinho IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

garra wrote: »
    Klopp already said he will be looking for a winger in January. His thinking is that Mane is the only "winger" in the squad and we probably need a second one anyway. I reckon he has someone lined up already.

Reus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Seems like a long time since July when many on here (including myself) were bemoaning our transfer activity. But what has transpired since then has been an absolute revelation. No way would I now question the value of Mane at €35m, he has hit the ground running and been well worth the fee. Gini was seen as a second choice to Sissoko but having seen a few Spurs games this year Sissoko has been terrible while Gini has impressed beyond all expectation. Same with Matip, he was free FFS! Grujic too, another who has done well.

It might be hindsight but I think its important to recognise what a good transfer window we have just had. We got good money for Ibe, Benteke and Allen and while no-one wanted to see Kolo Toure leave it turns out it was the right decision. Every player we have brought in has contributed and undoubtedly strengthened the overall squad.

Do you mean Sturridge and Coutinho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I really hope he makes a full recovery and gets the opportunity to make the LB slot his own. I know he is a centre-half by trade but with his skill, speed and composure... along with his defensive abilities and height, he could easily relieve Moreno and Milner of the job.

Really like young Joe Gomez but I don't think his future is at left back for us or at least as first choice.
    He was very decent there but he wasn't great at the top end of the pitch and with the way we use our full back for width up top, I'd think he'd struggle.
    Hopefully the injury has t stunted his growth ala the old young Martin Kelly.
    I do think Gomez has shown more potential than Martin Kelly ever did but he's future is the middle.

Big fan of tobys play on words, his portmanteau, his puns, the whole lot, a cunning linguist, Pepsi Granola a current fav.

Yep whenever I think of BornTobyWilde, I think cunnilingus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

rob316 wrote: »
    Reus!

First name that crossed my mind !

A quick perusal of the Utd thread would confirm this generally accepted view that LFC do not have the squad strength to maintain the title challenge, with the pressing game of Klopp cited as the driver of this viewpoint.

I don't agree with this view myself, with exception of centre-half and winger I think we are well stocked for a tiitle challenge (and Klopp is bringing in another winger in January). The common misconception of opposing fans is that Klopp is out there cracking the whip, doing double sessions and flogging the players to get them ready to run like greyhounds on a Saturday, when the opposite is true. The background team are well aware of how much to push players and how to keep them fresh for matchdays ... While the pressing game - when done correctly - is not about wasting energy but is more about co-ordinating action across the team.

I think we - the royal "We" of all Pool fans, should nod sagely and quietly agree that the squad does not have the depth required and keep our heads down, dampening title hopes and expectations.

Let there be plenty of doubters elsewhere though, for now...

Basically people spoofing that haven't a clue.

You'd swear Klopp and his backroom staff were only starting out and hit a lucky streak :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Really don't give a toss what anyone in the United thread thinks about Liverpool. The only time I go for a look is whenever they've been beaten - it's heartwarming and hilarious in equal measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rob316 wrote: »
    Reus!

More likely to go for his teammate Pulisic again; whether we succeed in that is another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

I voted Emre Can for President.

can-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

A quick perusal of the Utd thread would confirm this generally accepted view that LFC do not have the squad strength to maintain the title challenge, with the pressing game of Klopp cited as the driver of this viewpoint.

I don't agree with this view myself, with exception of centre-half and winger I think we are well stocked for a tiitle challenge (and Klopp is bringing in another winger in January). The common misconception of opposing fans is that Klopp is out there cracking the whip, doing double sessions and flogging the players to get them ready to run like greyhounds on a Saturday, when the opposite is true. The background team are well aware of how much to push players and how to keep them fresh for matchdays ... While the pressing game - when done correctly - is not about wasting energy but is more about co-ordinating action across the team.

I think we - the royal "We" of all Pool fans, should nod sagely and quietly agree that the squad does not have the depth required and keep our heads down, dampening title hopes and expectations.

Let there be plenty of doubters elsewhere though, for now...
    Klopp speaks about this after almost every game but it is largely ignored. It was interesting to watch his appearance on Monday Night Football back in September. He made a mockery of all the analysis that had previously been done about the way he likes to setup his teams etc. Yet the media and the those that have no real interest continue to trot out the same old lines and look for cool quotes instead of listening to what the man actually says.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/08/liverpool-move-for-rostov-forward-sardar-azmoun
    Liverpool are considering a January move for the FC Rostov forward Sardar Azmoun in response to Jürgen Klopp’s concerns over the loss of Danny Ings and Sadio Mané in the new year.

Azmoun has been linked with several Premier League clubs, Everton and Stoke City among them, having impressed for the Russian club since a controversial move from Rubin Kazan. Liverpool, with the newly appointed sporting director, Michael Edwards, leading their recruitment department, have monitored the 21-year-old this season and are considering an offer when the transfer window reopens.

The Iran international has carried his goalscoring form into Rostov’s Champions League campaign this season, playing an influential role in their progress through the qualifying rounds with goals against Anderlecht and Ajax and also scoring against Atlético Madrid in last week’s group game.

A left field target, it must be the Klopp effect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Honestly never heard of him but if Klopp thinks he's a player then that's enough for me.

A left field target, it must be the Klopp effect!
    Honestly never heard of him but if Klopp thinks he's a player then that's enough for me.

I've never heard of him either but he's not completely under the radar it seems........"The Iran international has carried his goalscoring form into Rostov’s Champions League campaign this season, playing an influential role in their progress through the qualifying rounds with goals against Anderlecht and Ajax and also scoring against Atlético Madrid in last week’s group game."

....... "Azmoun has been linked with several Premier League clubs, Everton and Stoke City among them, having impressed for the Russian club since a controversial move from Rubin Kazan"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

cough Lazar cough Marković cough.

Right wing is his main position

Opportunity to give him a shot at staying in the squad?

Doubt it.
    He hasn't played much over the last two years so couldn't imagine him being part of our plans for a January recall, or beyond either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Not direct or strong enough and very little end product. Would be an average backup at the moment.

He is fast and has a bit of skill about him but has lots to learn still, one for the future maybe but not what we need right now.

There is no left and right wingers anymore, it's an outdated way of looking at it. Footballers often lean both to the left and the right in a match.
    You have the likes of Lallana, firminio, coutihno, mane et al, they can go left or right when its suits them but they might be more comfortable centre-left or centre-right.
    Of course there are still out and out left wing footballers and right wing footballers but they tend to be in small groups and make little impact.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Not direct or strong enough and very little end product. Would be an average backup at the moment.

He is fast and has a bit of skill about him but has lots to learn still, one for the future maybe but not what we need right now.

He's probably our worst signing since Konchesky. Have no idea why people try and defend him. He's not good enough and we won't get near the fee we paid for him back. Distinctly average and his performances in pre-season, when he should have been killing himself to play into Klopp's plans, was pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Zero chance of Markovic making it at Liverpool at this point I'd say.

8-10 wrote: »
    He's probably our worst signing since Konchesky. Have no idea why people try and defend him. He's not good enough and we won't get near the fee we paid for him back. Distinctly average and his performances in pre-season, when he should have been killing himself to play into Klopp's plans, was pathetic.

Not one of Edwards' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think Klopp has already made up his mind about Markovic to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Can't argue with that, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Not sure if many still defend him any more. When he was signed the defence was he was young and moving to a new country/league and being played out of position. No harm in people not being too critical of a young player, but yea, hasn't developed and the fee was always ridiculous for what was at the time a backup player at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

I wouldnt say that but it turned out to be a bitterly dissapointing transfer in the end. Heard nothing but how amazing he could be and that he had a great season with benfica after we signed him. Done nothing at fener and seems to be doing nothing at sporting. Fun fact, by all accounts ex lfc man seb coates is having a great season at sporting, who'd have thought.

klose wrote: »
    I wouldnt say that but it turned out to be a bitterly dissapointing transfer in the end. Heard nothing but how amazing he could be and that he had a great season with benfica after we signed him. Done nothing at fener and seems to be doing nothing at sporting. Fun fact, by all accounts ex lfc man seb coates is having a great season at sporting, who'd have thought.

And just to say I don't begrudge him doing well at other clubs and I hope he does find his way. A square peg for us unfortunately.

And with Coates I always felt that signing him had something to do with keeping Suarez company, kind of in the same way Suarez got Ajax to sign Nicolas Lodeiro as soon as he moved there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Muahahaha wrote: »

I don't think most people had any issue with who we signed. At worst I thought Wijnaldum might've been unnecessary given our options, and with Can shunting him back onto the bench and the likes of Lucas, Stewart, Grujic and co barely getting a look in, it could've been that we needed that £25m elsewhere (we didn't because we spent **** all and he's done well so, Hurray!).

The perceived problem was with who we didn't, with LB and goalscoring a concern.
    In some sense, Klopp didn't just solve it with Milner.
    He actually just decided that full backs aren't up to much and you're better off with another midfielder in there, particularly if he's as good as Milner.
    He's spending an enormous amount of the game not defending, he's getting into the box a huge amount, and when he's defending he's not doing it particularly well.

That's the kind of outside the box thinking when you're trying to win the league and you've got no left backs.:P

The goals part is certainly not a problem thus far. However, I'd be skeptical that this team can maintain this level of goalscoring - around 103 when extrapolated to the full season.

Philippe-Coutinho----5--17
    Roberto-Firmino
    5--17
    Sadio-Mané
    6--21
    James-Milner
    4--14
    Daniel-Sturridge
    0--0
    Adam-Lallana
    3--10
    Dejan-Lovren
    2--7
    Emre-Can
    2--7
    Divock-Origi
    0--0
    Georginio-Wijnaldum--1--4
    Jordan-Henderson
    1--4
    Cameroon-Joël-Matip--1--4

...is the current rate per player.

That'd be ****ing mental. You'd hope some chip in more - Hendo, Wijnaldum and especially the strikers, and maybe you could expect those numbers from some of Lallana, Milner (pens), Mane (including him missing nearly a third of the season), Firmino and Coutinho but they'd be exceptional numbers for any of them and all at the same time would be sporting Nirvana.

You could make films about a team that good but also that equal. It'd be like that Jamie Vardy film except our football's prettier and there'd be less racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Balotelli would give him a run for his money and Bogdan. Aspas and Borini too I have tried to wipe from my memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

ERG89 wrote: »
    Balotelli would give him a run for his money and Bogdan. Aspas and Borini too I have tried to wipe from my memory.

There has never been a worse signing, in terms of both football, attitude and actions than El Hadji Diouf. End of.

Gbear wrote: »

The goals part is certainly not a problem thus far. However, I'd be skeptical that this team can maintain this level of goalscoring - around 103 when extrapolated to the full season.

Philippe-Coutinho----5--17
    Roberto-Firmino
    5--17
    Sadio-Mané
    6--21
    James-Milner
    4--14
    Daniel-Sturridge
    0--0
    Adam-Lallana
    3--10
    Dejan-Lovren
    2--7
    Emre-Can
    2--7
    Divock-Origi
    0--0
    Georginio-Wijnaldum--1--4
    Jordan-Henderson
    1--4
    Cameroon-Joël-Matip--1--4

...is the current rate per player.

That'd be ****ing mental. You'd hope some chip in more - Hendo, Wijnaldum and especially the strikers, and maybe you could expect those numbers from some of Lallana, Milner (pens), Mane (including him missing nearly a third of the season), Firmino and Coutinho but they'd be exceptional numbers for any of them and all at the same time would be sporting Nirvana.

You have just illustrated why the idea of goalscoring drought is unlikely. If Kane is out Spurs struggle, if Aguero is injured City do to a slightly lesser degree, Costa for Chelsea is vital - after him its Hazard and then no one who is proven and so on. If one of the current fab four dries the other three are there as is Sturridge and Origi. No worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Poor Lazar.

I'll always have Fifa 15 where he becomes a superstar and Football Manager 15 where he becomes a solid to brilliant Dirk Kuyt-ish type player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

It's all perfectly poised now.

After all the years of waiting, we will be on course to win the league in early May with West ham and Middlesboro left to play and then BANG.......

Trump will get the hump with something and push the nuclear button.

I'd stick a few quid on it as a double, but sure what's the point, I wouldn't get to collect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You have just illustrated why the idea of goalscoring drought is unlikely. If Kane is out Spurs struggle, if Aguero is injured City do to a slightly lesser degree, Costa for Chelsea is vital - after him its Hazard and then no one who is proven and so on. If one of the current fab four dries the other three are there as is Sturridge and Origi. No worries.

I wouldn't be worried about a Spurs-level drought but I'd be surprised if we can maintain the current level.

Also, Spurs can defend.
    Worries for title contenders in that respect but no worries about how we're getting on in general.

I'd be astonished if we didn't get top 4 and whatever Klopp said, that was the goal at this point in the project.

Even if we only score 70 and concede 40 that's around the GD ballpark that you'd expect from a top 4 side.

Gbear wrote: »
    I'd be astonished if we didn't get top 4 and whatever Klopp said, that was the goal at this point in the project.

Yeah I'd be disappointed, maybe not quite "astonished" if we didn't get top-4 as well.
    I think we've a reasonable chance of actually winning it tbh. But there's not an awful lot between Us, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea. So one of the 5 is going to miss out and it won't be by much.

Am i right in thinking that United will make Ch-Lge ahead of whoever finished 4th if they were to win the Europa League?
    I know they're playing poorly at the mo but stranger things have happened.

That would be some kick in the nuts :D

Anyway, we're playing well enough to be aiming to win it at this moment in time. But it's a right pisser that Mane is gone in Jan for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Am i right in thinking that United will make Ch-Lge ahead of whoever finished 4th if they were to win the Europa League?
    No, they'd take a different spot already allocated for the Europa League winner - unless a premier league club also wins the champions league, and doesn't qualify in the top 4... so if Spurs and United won the CL and EL, and finished 5th and 6th, then 4th would miss out. (max of 5 clubs allowed per association.)

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    No, they'd take a different spot already allocated for the Europa League winner - unless a premier league club also wins the champions league, and doesn't qualify in the top 4... so if Spurs and United won the CL and EL, and finished 5th and 6th, then 4th would miss out. (max of 5 clubs allowed per association.)

Cheers man!

You may not believe it but that thought had actually been worrying me.

Good to know, thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Thanks for that, I forgot it was maximum 5 clubs inc. EL winner

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Cheers man!

You may not believe it but that thought had actually been worrying me.

Good to know, thanks. :)

Obvious you weren't posting here last season anyhow as it was discussed to death then, especially when it was a real possibility that we win the EL, City the CL and Utd 4th.

5starpool wrote: »
    Obvious you weren't posting here last season anyhow as it was discussed to death then, especially when it was a real possibility that we win the EL, City the CL and Utd 4th.

Ha yeah, before my time fella, I'm only a recent blow-in :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement